• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic 2 HD demo released

As far as I know the team is aware of and is presumably reading this thread, meaning feedback and constructive criticism will be taken on-board in terms of iterating the game as it progresses to a final product. I did link them to this thread on Sonic Retro so they should be reading your comments here.

Fantastic to hear so many are loving this, and as I said all criticism is positive too as it helps the team.

Sciz

Most of the art looks really nice, especially in motion. Might play through it again and screencap troublesome bits, but by and large I'm quite impressed. The secret set piece in CPZ2 is extra cool, and I also loved the deeper background of HTZ's caves. Authenticity is overrated as long as the result still comes off right.

There's a few obvious bugs that I expect the team is already aware of, like the options menu being error prone, inward facing ledge animations not playing, and spike collision hitting from the sides.

Physics are definitely a hair off, and in ways that are messing with some of the subtleties of the level design.

The little bits of polish pulled from Sonic 3 feel great, and I'd never really realized before just how much they add to my enjoyment. Would love to see the final game get proper zone transitions, and more than just EHZ's awkward fade out. Would also love to see Tails get controllable flight, authenticity be damned. Act 2 mixes are nice, even if EHZ and HTZ are a little too tonally different from their originals. Listen to Falk about Hill Top's lead.

edit: And proper 21:9 support would be super cool, but that's definitely a stretch goal.

Blueblur1

It would be really nice if they add in some of Sonic 2 iOS's extras like controllable flying Tails even in Sonic & Tails mode. (Hidden Palace would certainly asking for too much.)

I really like how it looks. All the little animations really bring the backgrounds to live without being distracting. I agree that the shaking in Hill Top is too strong and putting shade on Sonic when inside caves when everything else is lit normally doesn't make sense.
Physics are very close.
Also like their take on the music.
Congrats to the developers.

I thought the demo looked great. I loved the visual design. Physics aren’t 100% perfect but I had no issues playing or completing the demo.

Top Bottom