• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic 4 Ep 2 Screenshots - Features Sonic On Tails Action

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
YPjkv.jpg

Oh, my.

I can see the incoming fan art and fan fics.

The snowy rollercoaster/fairground theme doesn't scream too much a ripoff of previous zones which bodes well after Sonic 4 ep 1 zone blandness, well unless the carnival night barrel returns in it.
That said one of the zones is like Aquatic Ruin and I spy marble garden statues in it as well, someone here predicted aquatic ruin style zone from one of the concept arts did they not?

OMG Aero

Wow that looks miles better than episode 1.
If the physics change is anything like the graphics change I am back on board with Sonic 4.

Baust

Looks like they're trying to really play it safe again. Sonic 2's special stage, plus that snow level and underwater level all look so similar to existing zones from Sonic 2/3... I dunno, I don't really think this'll be all that much better.

Zomba13

It looks a hell of a lot nicer than ep1. I have faith now that they have changed what they claimed to have changed.
I still think they should have just straight up used Classic Sonic and his physics from generations.

Chronoja

so tired of seeing these god damn half pipe special stages. I didn't even like them in the first place and they keep reusing it. On the upside, it can't be anywhere near as annoying as Epi 1's special stages, but it did have they had the positive aspect of NOT BEING A GOD DAMN HALF PIPE *ahem* yeah. Otherwise...it's at least looking good dare I say

That looks really nice. Can't wait. I was one of the only few who tolerated the first one's bad physics and enjoyed the level design. Hopefully, I can get some one to play co-op with at some point. This also should be $10 for ultimate win.

A little surprised at the responses in this thread. It looks fairly ugly to me. A hodgepodge of rough 3D elements in front of some colorful skyboxes.

I wish Sega would have invested some more money into the Sonic 4 project, made it a full retail game, and utilized the team(s) that worked on Colors and Generations.

Anth0ny

Uh... wow. Talk about an upgrade.

Now I just hope it PLAYS differently too. Generations engine would be nice, it it can't be the Retro engine.

My initial reaction is utter shock. It looks like most of my graphical complaints are gone. These shots actually look fantastic.

I can't wait to see if they have improved the physics, but I'm still not holding my breath. At the very least, since this episode actually looks nice, maybe more fans will actually put effort into moding this one if things go wrong. ;)

I dunno. I'm wary that the Sonic/Tails mechanic might end up being seriously overused, given how much emphasis they're giving it. That being the case, I hope it ends up more usable and less detrimental to the overall gameplay than, say, the Combi-Ring mechanic from Chaotix.

Looks like the levels lead into each other a la Sonic 3. This makes me happy.

I dunno. I'm wary that the Sonic/Tails mechanic might end up being seriously overused, given how much emphasis they're giving it. That being the case, I hope it ends up more usable and less detrimental to the overall gameplay than, say, the Combi-Ring mechanic from Chaotix.

I agree. Also, if you can't get Sonic's gameplay right in the first episode, I see no reason to go straight to a dual character mechanic.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Came in expecting to be disappointed. Those shots don't look as terrible as Episode 1's.

...Has SEGA learned, GAF? Maybe the music won't be shit! (By that I mean the awful synth samples.)

TheCongressman1 said:
My initial reaction is utter shock. It looks like most of my graphical complaints are gone. These shots actually look fantastic.

I can't wait to see if they have improved the physics, but I'm still not holding my breath. At the very least, since this episode actually looks nice, maybe more fans will actually put effort into moding this one if things go wrong. ;)
Seriously! Not holding my breath for the way the game plays either, but a lot of the complaints I had about the artstyle and aesthetics seemed to have been somewhat rectified.

Am I reading the comments right?

"It looks good!"

Really?! After looking at Sonic Generations, they have a lot to prove.
I wouldn't use Sonic Generations as a barometer for Sonic 4's aesthetics. This looks like a dramatic improvement over Episode 1's.

That's looking legitimately great so far, if not for the graphics then for the original level designs besides the Aquatic Ruins comeback (which is fine if it's the only one, but Episode 1 just felt like I was paying for a 1/3 of S2's zones remade in a shittier engine). Only thing I'm confused about is what the hell that 'team-up' move they have does besides serving as funny out-of-context image fodder, but even that if done right could be a cool addition.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Usually I don't want sequels a year after a game comes out, but I would do some stuff for Rayman Origins 2 and Sonic Generations 2 this year. Between those and Mario 3D Land it was the best year for platformers in a loooooong time

Top Bottom