• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed out on PC today

The only thing that annoys me is the modeling/animations on some of the characters look pretty dopey.

Gum and Joe Musashi are probably the worst offenders.

Gum is pretty dopey in general but I agree there is something way off in the skates on the model.

I am pretty sure I can get 232 stars in this IF I could find some way to reliably deal with two stages:

Burning Rangers
Golden Axe / Adder's Lair

For the latter I know if I can get better at risk boosting/air drifting I can probably pull off some miracles. The Burning Rangers level though-just UGH. So much boats-they are the worst when it comes to actually making up time against the AI, and once the computer-designated leader AI gets ahead it's very hard to make up any ground, even if you save an all-star for the last segment (which works in a lot of races).

Trojan X

Banned
Finally got the chance to play this game and I can't believe how much fun it is! Perhaps it's the pure SEGA nostalgia that did it, but whatever it is, it's doing the job. Thumbs up.

Prodigal

Banned
Where's this drift challenge in Curien mansion? I can't find it.

I think it's the final cup, though I believe you have to unlock the cup itself.

Also for those of you having trouble with Traffic Attack, I found the best strategy was to find the cart with the best handling possible and don't drift unless you have a glove on you. I was able to beat all of 'em on S rank with this strategy (though it may seem obvious to some). Don't worry about going fast as long as you're not hitting any cars.

I think it's the final cup, though I believe you have to unlock the cup itself.

Also for those of you having trouble with Traffic Attack, I found the best strategy was to find the cart with the best handling possible and don't drift unless you have a glove on you. I was able to beat all of 'em on S rank with this strategy (though it may seem obvious to some). Don't worry about going fast as long as you're not hitting any cars.

But... without drifting to build up boosts how're you supposed to make it to the next checkpoints in time for the harder difficulties?

People with 200+ stars are insane, just unlocking Ages gave me gray hairs. I'll be happy if I can chip away and eventually get the final console mod. Do people have tips for which stages are easiest to beat on expert?

I'd say the Pursuit (blow up the tank) stages.
Haven't tried them on expert but they're way easy on all the other difficulties.

Also I did the first traffic-attack on expert. Like someone else said, pick a kart with great handling, and don't worry too much about drifting unless you have a glove.

HoosTrax

Game seems a little crashy...I've crashed three times in about as many hours tonight.

I kind of like Miles overall, although he's kind of a bad pick for certain modes that require beating certain times like ring races and ghost races. His maneuverability is fun while drifting.

Game seems a little crashy...I've crashed three times in about as many hours tonight.

I kind of like Miles overall, although he's kind of a bad pick for certain modes that require beating certain times like ring races and ghost races. His maneuverability is fun while drifting.

Hahah, weird. I always used him on the ring races and S ranked all of them. The extra control seemed to help a lot!

TaroYamada

I'll take an invite to the group (steam profile here), I don't have the game yet because I'm working on backlog titles and during that period I don't allow the purchase of new games but I 100% intend to get this game within the next month or two and would love to play with some folks.

Prodigal

Banned
But... without drifting to build up boosts how're you supposed to make it to the next checkpoints in time for the harder difficulties?

You don't have to worry about drifting as long as you hit as many extra green time extensions and don't crash (much). I beat all of them on S rank without drifting at all.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

Handling characters are amazing for ring race.

Prodigal

Banned
Whew just hit 232/232 in World Tour. Not sure what I have to do now to get my Triple Star License...I was reading about it and I don't think you have to beat all the staff ghosts to get it, just get a handful of 'em and unlock a lot of mods to further your completion % to 100.

SHarris78

About to start playing this on PC. Got to 150 stars on the WiiU version before I damaged my pad in a rage (!), bought the PC version as I miss playing it but am also dreading getting those S ranks!

Here we go then..........

HoosTrax

Handling characters are amazing for ring race.
Hmm, well I only had the opportunity to try him in one ring race, and while I was doing great most of the way with plenty of time to spare, the last checkpoint killed me -- I thought I wasn't really making any mistakes, but I ended up running out of time. I might need to try a different line through the rings.

Gigarator

Hmm, well I only had the opportunity to try him in one ring race, and while I was doing great most of the way with plenty of time to spare, the last checkpoint killed me -- I thought I wasn't really making any mistakes, but I ended up running out of time. I might need to try a different line through the rings.

I found that any character with a handling rating of 3 or more was well suited to the ring races, I think I used Joe Mushashi for most of them. The key really is to use the boost pickups it gives you for every few rings you fly through as much as you can.

my god that final turn on the Billy Hatcher stage. I was stuck on that burning lap for a good half an hour. That and getting hit by the roof of all things at the boat transformation sequence.

What a nightmare.

my god that final turn on the Billy Hatcher stage. I was stuck on that burning lap for a good half an hour. That and getting hit by the roof of all things at the boat transformation sequence.

What a nightmare.

I'm with you bro, I really dislike the Billy Hatcher stage. I find their is a real lack of definition in the turns so I keep on running into corners.

I'm with you bro, I really dislike the Billy Hatcher stage. I find their is a real lack of definition in the turns so I keep on running into corners.

Some of the turns on that stage I originally hated but now I've come to appreciate them because of how sharp you have to angle your drift to get around them (the one right after the downward ramp, with the boost pad on the right comes to mind). But yeah I seem to smash into walls/ ceilings inconsistently at that place.

It isn't as bad during races, since everyone is susceptible to the same slip ups, but in time trials when the AI has set a flawless run, you can't pick a car that doesn't have max speed if you want to win. I lost so many laps in the last turn there just because my handling was terrible .

What a nightmare.

I know what you mean. I'm normally good with S-curves, but this...

There is one specific turn (could be the same one, I think the second one after you come out from the boats) where I nearly ALWAYS seem to hit this little dent in the curve, bounce up high and lose all my momentum. It's really frustrating when it happens.

Also, catching on the lip of edges while driving in Sanctuary Falls or Graffiti City can lead to some really slow and awkward drops, eating up your lead. Doesn't happen often enough to be a big deal, but still a bit annoying when it does occur. (I foolishly did the Sanctuary Falls Boost challenge as Danica Patrick, that car...)

they really need to get the mic mute patch out/the mouth breathing is the worst ive ever experienced in an online game. 'hurffffff hurghhhh hurffff damn u shadow. i was gunna win dat one' silence. 'hurffffffffff hurghhhhhhhh' button presses. repeat.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
There is one specific turn (could be the same one, I think the second one after you come out from the boats) where I nearly ALWAYS seem to hit this little dent in the curve, bounce up high and lose all my momentum. It's really frustrating when it happens.

Also, catching on the lip of edges while driving in Sanctuary Falls or Graffiti City can lead to some really slow and awkward drops, eating up your lead. Doesn't happen often enough to be a big deal, but still a bit annoying when it does occur. (I foolishly did the Sanctuary Falls Boost challenge as Danica Patrick, that car...)

Dont bother using high boost characters for boost challenge. You are much better off with good handling character that can hit every boost and do easy drifts. I only really use high boost characters for boost race.

Prodigal

Banned
Just plugged in a Rock Band guitar controller and drum set into my comp to get the 4 local player achievement/stickers. Oh, the life I live...

Unlocked AGES last night. My right-index finger is done. I did way too many 4-star challenges.

Also just notice that in Grand Prix mode, there is no "restart race" option. If you screw up, all you can do is restart the GP. Yep...not getting all the achievements for this game...no way. It already takes me a well-timed superstar to win most expert-level races.

Hell I'm not even going to try and complete a GP until the game crashing has been ironed out. I got hit with one towards the end of the 4th race.

Fitz

Yep, that little S bend is a fucker. You have to slow right down to avoid slamming into the wall on the second turn.

That billy hatcher stage is weird. The level starts out a decent intermediate level course with some nice tricky drifts to hit all the boosts in the segment before the boats, and then has that huge pile of ass turn at the end. I much prefer it if they keep those kind of turns to the expert level courses like the Golden Axe and House of The Dead levels. When you are playing multiplayer-especially local multiplayer with people who haven't played as much as you-turns like that are a real turn-off.

HoosTrax

You guys keep bringing up the Billy Hatcher S curve, but I have more issues with the powerslide shortcut at the end of Afterburner (the perpendicular one that bypasses the three single boosts, not the regular powerslide path). Especially with all of the crates piled up in there, it's hard to make out where the opening is.

While the AI doesn't cheat, it does seem to be remarkably consistent in being able to pull of those maneuvers.

Fitz

I had some trouble with that one initially, but I find that if I just start my power slide early and from a reasonably wide angle I can almost always hit it.

You guys keep bringing up the Billy Hatcher S curve, but I have more issues with the powerslide shortcut at the end of Afterburner (the perpendicular one, not the regular powerslide path). Especially with all of the crates piled up in there, it's hard to make out where the opening is.

While the AI doesn't cheat, it does seem to be remarkably consistent in being able to pull of those maneuvers.

I see the AI have problems on that powerslide a lot-when they are in the first place. The big deal in that slide is the large array of boxes that will mess you up if you hit them. When you're in the lead, that shortcut is dramatically harder than if you are in 3rd or 4th. It presents an interesting option between "Can I really make this turn" and " just take the long way around and try to make up time w/ boosts".

I think the game as a whole needs more things like those boxes and the statues on the ramp in the samba stage-things that really put the screws to the player in the lead.

You guys keep bringing up the Billy Hatcher S curve, but I have more issues with the powerslide shortcut at the end of Afterburner (the perpendicular one that bypasses the three single boosts, not the regular powerslide path). Especially with all of the crates piled up in there, it's hard to make out where the opening is.

Yeah I haven't needed to use it yet, but I only just unlocked expert difficulty, so I have a bad feeling that I'm going to be getting really familiar with those damn crates.

Gigarator

I gave up on that shortcut pretty quickly, gave it a few tries and failed miserably each time, usually because of those boxes.

It wasn't like that in the first Sonic & All-Stars Racing.

Fair point, I didn't play the first game.

fleck0

update from devs earlier today

sumo said:
============
Update 11th Feb
============

Hello,

Just a quick update, had a chat with SEGA today and all being well we'll have an initial update out for you tomorrow. The testing has proceeded well though a few minor issues have had to be corrected.

This will fix the majority of issues, but not the INTZ one. That's actually quite a major chunk of work that is now underway, but it needs testing on a number of affected devices and since it requires a special version of all the shaders in the game too, it's not a quick or simple job to test either.

Once we've addressed the INTZ issue here, I'll get some screens done showing the WIP and we'll give you an estimate of when it will hit too. I appreciate this is taking some time, but we'd rather do it right once, than rush it and do it not quite right a couple of times...!

I'll have a hunt through all the recent posts later and do some in-line Q+A's (this first post is getting a touch unwieldy!)

---
S0L
---

I'm very impressed how open and communicative Sumo has been throughout the patching process. Super excited for this to drop

HoosTrax

I must have missed the tutorial on how to do boost starts, because it wasn't obvious to me at all. I didn't realize you could do such a thing until about ten hours into the game lol. Maybe I'll do slightly less poorly in S-rank races now.

Anyways, I hope the game is less crashy with the update. I think I'm averaging about one crash to desktop per hour, if not slightly more.

I see a lot of people saying they have trouble with the Golden Axe level but for some reason im a beast there.

Its that Burning Rangers stage that i can not handle at all. Thats the only level where i still have to work in order to place, ON MEDIUM. The other levels im doing well on hard.

I see a lot of people saying they have trouble with the Golden Axe level but for some reason im a beast there.

Its that Burning Rangers stage that i can not handle at all. Thats the only level where i still have to work in order to place, ON MEDIUM. The other levels im doing well on hard.

F that stage, especially the boating parts of it, once the AI is ahead it's almost impossible to catch up.

Also, as others have stated previously, f that Sharp turn in the Afterburner stage with the crates blocking the way, and also f that Billy Hatcher stage with the sharp ass corner.

The one thing about that Afterburner turn is that it's pretty much mandatory. I can have a big lead, but if I go for the "safe" route, I almost always drop down to 3rd or 4th that lap. The trade-off for not taking it on higher difficulties is massive.

Top Bottom