• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Boom (BRB/Sanzaru, WiiU/3DS) gameplay preview/info, screenshots, and trailer

I doubt this game will go to any other platform, but the sequels would i'm sure. People though Colors would go to different platforms and it didn't, people thought Generations would hit U and it didn't. Even when not under contract Sega seems to ignore money, so with an actual deal at hand I doubt they will be going anywhere.

I think there was an article somewhere that said this was the third and final game in Nintendo's exclusivity contract with Sega for Sonic games. So you're probably right; this game will stay on the Wii U.

If there's a Sonic Boom 2, though, that'll probably appear on everything.

Frodo

it's been posted already, but the gamexplain video is pretty solid.

helped me see a lot of stuff i didn't notice in the trailer.

made me even more positive about the direction they're going in.

I love Gamexplain. Good video, though maybe a little bit too long. But it does show a few things that went completely unnoticed, and even made me a little bit hyped.

They need a CryEngine3 version of this

GznCe8k.jpg

Elija2

Chris Senn (guy who worked on Sonic X-treme) asked what should stay and be changed in the next Sonic game on his forums back in November 2011: http://www.senntient.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1683
He joined Big Red Button Entertainment in November 2011: http://www.linkedin.com/in/senntient

:V

That's kinda interesting, although I don't think any of the suggestions posted were taken into account. Most of the people wanted a game that focused on Sonic and didn't have a deep story, and Sonic Boom seems to be the opposite of that.

Mlatador

Banned

GznCe8k.jpg

Sonic Team would be responsible for such a thing, not Big Red Button Entertainment.

Why can't people understand that Sonic Boom is a diffrent take on the Sonic IP? It's made by a western gaming studio for a western gaming audience. I won't even come out in Japan. It's a different direction because the japanese "original" versions and reboot attempts made by Sonic Team weren't that sussessfull.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Sonic Team would be responsible for such a thing, not Big Red Button Entertainment.

Why can't people understand that Sonic Boom is a diffrent take on the Sonic IP? It's made by a western gaming studio for a western gaming audience. I won't even come out in Japan. It's a different direction because the japanese "original" versions and reboot attempts made by Sonic Team weren't that sussessfull.

I don't think you understood his post.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Maybe it was sarcasm, but it looks like he is implying that a new sonic game, artsytle-wise and probably gameplay-wise, should be much closer to its origins, but only with modern tech.

No, he was jokingly talking about getting a new version of the barrel of doom. Do you not remember the barrel of doom?

No, he was jokingly talking about getting a new version of the barrel of doom. Do you not remember the barrel of doom?

Yup, it was a joke. Not much to look into in my post except that I only found out how to get passed the barrel after so many years....

Personally not bothered at all with BRB being to developers. I'll probably by the game when it launches.

GznCe8k.jpg

My first kiss was a result of this moment. True story. I was stuck on this part for over a year (I was 8) and jumped and jumped and jumped on that damned spinny thing of doom. Finally, a girl I was friends with managed to get past that part. It was one of the happiest moments of my childhood for multiple reasons. I never did find out how she did it though and I never found out myself till a few years later while browsing the infant web.

I would love to see a Christian Whitehead version of S3&K before a CryEngine3 version. :)

Daingurse

Finnally can gives me thoughts on this. I am optimistic, which is my initial stance on all Sonic games. The pedigree behind this title is strong, but that style of platforming isn't my cup of tea personally. I only really play Sonic platformers, and this seems like a possible deviation away from traditional Sonic gameplay. However, a good game is a good game, and if this game is good, then that will put pressure on me to get a Wii-U.

Buying a Wii-U for a Sonic exclusive, would be quite ideal indeed.

Edit: Making a Sonic franchise that targets western audiences, felt kinda redundant to me though.

I want to bring up something that people might be overlooking about the faces. I notice how similar they look to how Jak & Daxter characters look in Jak 2 and 3:

ibrN9c3WCDFDIs.png

igVEeZKq2kFor.png

iF94b5qfxuzD2.png

Bob Rafei actually indirectly confirmed he was behind the redesigns, and he and Charles Zembillas worked on the designs in J&D, but I think Charles only worked on the original.

About Sonic Boom said:
Bob Rafei: We have reams of drawings that we explored. It was quite a journey. That's one of the things that, as a character designer, I live and breathe.

http://www.computerandvideogames.co...sega-and-big-red-button-on-reinventing-sonic/

Top Bottom