• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic CinePlayer chosen to power DVD-playing version of Nintendo's Wii (late 2007)

maxmars

jarosh said:
i really don't think panajev's trolling. i've never seen him do that.

His reasons for wanting the Wii to be a small and effective media device are sound; I myself would be somewhat interested in having a small all-in-one box to bring with me e.g. on holidays, for the kids to watch their disney cartoons on raining days.

But, usually, where there's a tv there's also a dvd player already. Even though, I like to travel with my 7" lcd tv (I completed Metroid Prime during spiritual exercises.. :lol ) so that point would still be relevant. Hmm..

Raistlin

Panajev2001a said:
Software Playback...!!!!!!!!

and they PLAN to release a WHOLE NEW UNIT that JUST ENABLES THIS SOFTWARE playback instead of making this software update also available to normal Wii consoles ?!?!?!?!?!?!?

FUP-OFF Nintendo :(.

It is because there is no digital audio output on the current Wii

(**** you Nintendo)

Raistlin

Now until we sort out whether this new one will be available here ... I have no intention of getting a Wii.

Good show Nintendo. :lol

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Onix said:
It is because there is no digital audio output on the current Wii

(**** you Nintendo)

It would not be a problem, DVD's are watch-able also with only a Stereo system and some seem happy with DPL-II solutions too although I have never used a DLP-II enabled set-up.

Raistlin

Panajev2001a said:
It would not be a problem, DVD's are watch-able also with only a Stereo system and some seem happy with DPL-II solutions too although I have never used a DLP-II enabled set-up.

The problem is that DolbyDigital support is part of the spec for DVD players to myknowledge ... so that means you either must have 5.1 analog outs and decode internally and/or have a digital out to pass the DD bitstream.

Otherwise, you can't get an official license and CSS decryptor.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Onix said:
The problem is that DolbyDigital support is part of the spec for DVD players to myknowledge ... so that means you either must have 5.1 analog outs and decode internally and/or have a digital out to pass the DD bitstream.

Otherwise, you can't get an official license and CSS decryptor.

If the digital out/analog output is required that could be a problem, yes. I am interested if you could support decoding and down-mixing to 2 channels audio like many DVD players do when you set them to connect to a Stereo system.

You can play DVD's on a PC hat has NO analog or digital out and thus no support for 5.1 Surround Sound so I do not think this issue would prevent you from geting the DVD forum's approval.

MutFox said:
If it is software, it will probably get it's own channel.
And a year from now, there will be Wii's that come with the channel loaded on. (For a bit more $$$.)

That's how I see it.

They really don't need to push that price any closer to the 360's.

soundwave05 said:
If the new DVD Wii model allows for Dolby Digital 5.1 audio for games as well though (wouldn't be much a problem to add a DD5.1 sound mix onto a DVD disc) ... that alone though would make the DVD Wii hardware better for my tastes.
Err, that would cover the noninteractive prerecorded audio in games anyway, but for anything in actual gameplay it would still be Pro Logic II.

soundwave05 said:
When the system is hacked
(and it definitely will be), I think you'll see it can read DVDs just fine.
Other than replacing the drive, did anyone get the standard GCN to read mini-DVDs using homebrew software?

since I`m buying BlueRay player PS3, that will be my mane DVD movie player.

So a regular Wii is fine with me (March! Sonic & The Secret Of the Rings baby!!)

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Out of curiousity, even if Nintendo decided to add a optical out or whatever that thing is for DD 5.1, who knows if they'll still program their games to utilize it. I don't think they'll add anything more than the DVD playback, unfortunately.

Raistlin

Panajev2001a said:
If the digital out/analog output is required that could be a problem, yes. I am interested if you could support decoding and down-mixing to 2 channels audio like many DVD players do when you set them to connect to a Stereo system.

You can play DVD's on a PC hat has NO analog or digital out and thus no support for 5.1 Surround Sound so I do not think this issue would prevent you from geting the DVD forum's approval.

I don't believe PC's have the same approval process, since they are not technically a DVD player.

They are a drive, and you use a software player for playback.

Raistlin

gutter_trash said:
since I`m buying BlueRay player PS3, that will be my mane DVD movie player.

So a regular Wii is fine with me (March! Sonic & The Secret Of the Rings baby!!)

Some of us are waiting, just we can have a Wii with digital audio (could care less about DVD support).

Raistlin

Oblivion said:
Out of curiousity, even if Nintendo decided to add a optical out or whatever that thing is for DD 5.1, who knows if they'll still program their games to utilize it. I don't think they'll add anything more than the DVD playback, unfortunately.

That would be beyond stupid.

For anyone anticipating a Wii SP with any other hardware modifications, it might be wise to give up now:

The Wii which is sold in December (November for the USA) cannot. A Wii with DVD video playback will be released in the second half of 2007. This model does not have any other additions or changes to the design. Also due to the DVD licensing charge it is possible it will be priced higher.

Courtesy of Siliconera, translated from NCL's Wii FAQ. Linky

Top Bottom