• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic CinePlayer chosen to power DVD-playing version of Nintendo's Wii (late 2007)

I would not be surprised if there's another new DS hardware iteration late next year either. Something with built-in flash memory like the Wii has, for game downloading and what not (thus ditching the GBA slot allowing for space saving). Of course Nintendo can then re-charge you to re-buy all your old GB + GBA titles.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
soundwave05 said:
I would not be surprised if there's another new DS hardware iteration late next year either. Something with built-in flash memory like the Wii has, for game downloading and what not (thus ditching the GBA slot allowing for space saving). Of course Nintendo can then re-charge you to re-buy all your old GB + GBA titles.

That I would like as far as GB titles are concerned since the DS and Ds Lite Hardwares cannot play GB cartridges, but they would need to keep GBA compatibility in HW though.

zigg

The reason it needs to be new hardware is simple: Macrovision.

The DVD CCA mandates that all DVD players with composite/S-Video out have Macrovision hardware to **** up the signal so that DVDs can't be recorded on a VCR. I'd bet anything that the current Wii model has no such hardware. There's a real expense with that too, so Nintendo probably opted out of it when finalizing the original design, and are now looking to add it to next year's model because they now think Wii's going to have massive sales-age.

So yeah, it can't be a software upgrade to existing Wiis.

You can certainly argue whether that was a good decision or not, but eh. I could not care less if it had DVD playback or not, personally. I'm not going to wear out a $200+ console playing Disney's library daily for my kid(s). Would much rather wear out a $30 DVD player.

Well since Nintendo is bringing back the DVD functionality in this model, perhaps the PC monitor output they promised earlier on as well will come back in this new version too. I have a question about DVD upconverting though .... if the Wii DVD can upconvert a DVD image to 720p or 1080i, couldn't it do the same with a video game image? It'd be nice to have the whole "can't play GC games with Classic Controller/can't save GC games to internal flash memory" shitfest ironed out while they're at it. If they're going to address one issue, they might as well knock out the other ones too.

Chao

The point is:

Why now? Can't they just wait until next year to announce the upgraded version. They want people to feel raped before the system launches?

WTF?

I think I'm going to buy the white Wii model for this Christmas because I just have to play Zelda ASAP, then sell it next year. By then there should be new colors (hello glossy black) and the confusion over the different models should also be clarified.

Hopefully this whole thing forces Nintendo to at least make digital audio output standard, since it would be rather stupid to have two seperate manufacturing lines for such a miniscule hardware difference. Black casing + digital audio out would be enough for me to dump the regular Wii model.

Saoh

my only three complaints with the wii are: no true 5.1 surround sound :(:(:(:(:( HUGE - for me. no DVD playback, i have 3 DVDs at my house but it would´ve been nice, and really, how expensive can it be? and the price, $220 would´ve been ideal, but meh, i can live with $250.

still, the games (Zeldaaaa and Mario Galaxy) make me feel less raped :)

Alcibiades

zigg said:

The DVD CCA mandates that all DVD players with composite/S-Video out have Macrovision hardware to **** up the signal so that DVDs can't be recorded on a VCR. I'd bet anything that the current Wii model has no such hardware. There's a real expense with that too, so Nintendo probably opted out of it when finalizing the original design, and are now looking to add it to next year's model because they now think Wii's going to have massive sales-age.

So yeah, it can't be a software upgrade to existing Wiis.

You can certainly argue whether that was a good decision or not, but eh. I could not care less if it had DVD playback or not, personally. I'm not going to wear out a $200+ console playing Disney's library daily for my kid(s). Would much rather wear out a $30 DVD player.
interesting... that makes Panajev's idea of paying for the ability later a little complicated, no?

maybe sending back Wii's to the factory to install the Macrovision stuff for a fee? not sure how many people would opt for that...

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
zigg said:

The DVD CCA mandates that all DVD players with composite/S-Video out have Macrovision hardware to **** up the signal so that DVDs can't be recorded on a VCR.

Very small modification of the CRTC/Video Encoder Circuit to allow for Macrovision:

TechInPlace_enlarge.jpg

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Alcibiades said:
interesting... that makes Panajev's idea of paying for the ability later a little complicated, no?

Exactly, if Nintendo saved $0.XX per unit not allowing for Macrovision signal modification in their video encoder chip (which, quite likely, they have not designed in-house but bought it from a third party which manufactures Macrovision enabled chips too) then yes, they would not be allowed to sell DVD playback functionality for the existing Wii.

Image13.jpg

"This would PISS me off to no end!"

Alcibiades

The fact that it costs anything at all is reason enough to not deal with it IMO. Right now the focus should be on getting as many Wii's out there as possible before the end of the year to ride the momentum, along with a solid Zelda, Wii Sports, and Excite Truck. Everything else is secondary.

zigg

Panajev2001a said:
Exactly, if Nintendo saved $0.XX per unit not allowing for Macrovision signal modification in their video encoder chip (which, quite likely, they have not designed in-house but bought it from a third party which manufactures Macrovision enabled chips too) then yes, they would not be allowed to sell DVD playback functionality for the existing Wii.

So you know the costs are sub-$1.00, then? Where'd you find this out?

MORE: As of last year, protection royalties for DVDs made up 55% of Macrovision's revenue. Meaning those chips.

Kreed

In the last announcement about this Nintendo said this unit was for Japan only just like the Panasonic Gamecube Q. I doubt that's going to change unless the Wii DVD player sells a significant amount of units. And knowing Nintendo, they are going to make these things hard to get in the first place. So I'm not expecting this to be the "replacement" of the current Wii like the DS Lites replaced the original DS.

Alcibiades

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=21030

It was recently revealed that Nintendo plans to ship a new version of the Wii with a DVD playback feature in Japan next year. According to Trépanier, the decision as to whether the new model will make it to the North America and Europe "is not made yet".

"There needs to be some internal meetings and discussions about that," he said.

"What we do know is in North America penetration of DVD players is very close to 100 per cent, and that very few consumers - a very niche market - would ever be interested in paying extra for DVD functionality."

Cheerilee

Cosmonaut X said:
No offence, but this one always amuses me. They're a business, and making a profit is what they do. If Sony & Microsoft want to eat a cost-per-console in the hope of getting systems into more homes, good for them, but it's only in the loopy world of videogames that kind of approach is seen as desirable - and it certainly isn't altruistic, no matter how much some mouth-breather from Joystiq might try to spin it ;-)
Do you know what razors are? They're little plastic handles that hold sharp metal blades, used to remove unwanted hair.

They're a great invention, but if you were to sell one to every customer in the world, you'd practically run yourself right out of business, right? Well that's where the blades come in. They get dull and wear out, and if you're the only one who makes the kind of blades that fit in the handles you sold, then all of your previous customers have to keep coming back to you for replacements, and you'll have work for as long as people have unwanted hair. That's why the blades are important and you need to protect that market. They're where the money is.

But when a customer is buying a new razor, he's mostly looking at the handle. He doesn't care that you'll get his business for the next five years, he's just looking at the handle and a couple spare blades. If your blades are about the same price as the next guy's offering, but one of you has a better/cheaper handle, that's the one he'll get. So if you're smart, you make the best possible handle you can, and give them away practically for free. You can even pay people to take them, as long as it keeps you employed making blades.

Unfortunately, Nintendo doesn't believe this.

Videogames don't get dull with time. And apparently Nintendo doesn't think we get tired of them after we beat them. Nintendo thinks we just dispose of them whenever we see better ones, and that they'll stop getting better very soon. So Nintendo thinks they need to grab hold of as much money as they possibly can, while they still can. They think we want low prices on the handles, and that they can deliver a competitive price simply by cutting corners. A philosophy that has led to them losing two generations of customers, and missing out on billions of dollars.

Now Nintendo is trying again, and they might actually succeed this time, thanks to the creativity and innovation that should rightfully make them the best in this business, and because their biggest competition may have gone a little overboard in trying to make the world's greatest handle. And if they don't fall on their face again this time, then maybe it was a good idea for Nintendo to make a grab for the cash (this time), but we have to wonder if their customer base could be even bigger if they had a more appealing handle.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Alcibiades said:
The fact that it costs anything at all is reason enough to not deal with it IMO.

Oh cut this thing, GCN discs compatibility in itself SERVES NO PURPOSE for the Wii experience and thus it should have been sacked instead of investing money in making it work. In terms of Virtual Console experience you could have handled it with downloads just like you are doing with N64, SNES, NES and other systems' titles... it is not like broadband connected gamers are not downloading 1+ GB worth of demos to their consoles already (things such as distributed delivery methods as well as support for intelligent download resume functionality can help a lot of users and content providers).

Still, sacking GCN discs compatibility would have been a horrible idea.

You gave SCE a good ammo to shut up the complaints about the lack of rumble though, thanks :p.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
AniHawk said:
I think Nintendo realized they had a bit of momentum going- which is a frightening thing to have- so they're trying to kill it before the Wii can become a success of some sort.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Yes it deserved that many lols

Alcibiades

Panajev2001a said:
Oh cut this thing, GCN discs compatibility in itself SERVES NO PURPOSE for the Wii experience and thus it should have been sacked instead of investing money in making it work. In terms of Virtual Console experience you could have handled it with downloads just like you are doing with N64, SNES, NES and other systems' titles... it is not like broadband connected gamers are not downloading 1+ GB worth of demos to their consoles already (things such as distributed delivery methods as well as support for intelligent download resume functionality can help a lot of users and content providers).

Still, sacking GCN discs compatibility would have been a horrible idea.

You gave SCE a good ammo to shut up the complaints about the lack of rumble though, thanks :p.

are you serious?

The amount of people interested in backwards compatibility and rumble is probably more than the amount they figured would pay extra later for DVD movie functions... the reason it's not worth worrying about is because it's not that important when most people own DVD players, and when it's not going to help sell the Wii. If they could have done it for nothing that's one thing, but apparantly it costs money.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
zigg said:
So you know the costs are sub-$1.00, then? Where'd you find this out?

MORE: As of last year, protection royalties for DVDs made up 55% of Macrovision's revenue. Meaning those chips.

In 2005 they made $203.23 Million of TOTAL revenue:

http://finance.google.com/finance?q=MacroVision&hl=en

55% of that would be: $101.615 Million of total revenue for the whole year.

Almost 20 Million DVD players were sold in 2005 alone if you SIMPLY count PlayStation 2 as the only DVD player sold (and I am quite confident that it was not the only DVD enabled player sold on the market in 2005).

Even if licensing for the DVD Macrovision protection were something like $2.5 a player (guys, IIRC RSX costs SCE about $5-6 of royalties to nVIDIA, to put things into perspective) with PlayStation 2 alone they would have made HALF their TOTAL revenue for the year 2005.

Alcibiades

ok, you got me, but really, the point was about spending money that most people wouldn't care about...

like I said, if it was free, even if only 1% cared then why not?

but it's not, so why worry when it's not that big an issue (to most, of course)?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Alcibiades said:
ok, you got me, but really, the point was about spending money that most people wouldn't care about...

like I said, if it was free, even if only 1% cared then why not?

but it's not, so why worry when it's not that big an issue (to most, of course)?

I worry because it is an issue to me :p. I might not be the only one, I hope.

Still, being "mistreated" by a company is not in my best interest as a "customer". it might be if I owned stocks or were working for Nintendo, but it might be wrong in those cases too... just ask F.I.A.T. dive into the ground in the past till they started to care more about what they gave their customers for their money.

koam

Chao said:
The point is:

Why now? Can't they just wait until next year to announce the upgraded version. They want people to feel raped before the system launches?

WTF?

I prefer this way. It beats buying a system now and then next year finding out that a more functional version is being released. At least now you get the choice of waiting it out. ditto with the black wii.

What makes Wii's DVD drive different from - say - a PC DVD drive? Don't those handle region encoding and protection in firmware? Cos you can sure as hell turn it off or circumvent it. And those play movies... as far as I'm aware, there's no Macrovision thingymebob in my PC

I really think this could be a simple firmware tweak. I don't see why they'd go through the trouble of changing the manufacturing process for something which they acknowledge there's little need for these days.

neptunes

Put me down for future firmware update for current owners.

I don't see this being tied directly to hardware,

It's using DVD-Tech for crissakes, even using the same sized discs no?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
jarosh said:
i'm trying to find out why you're interested in yet another dvd player

I am interested to have a cute device (that also plays games if I feel like playing them) to bring around, that is solid and small: the Wii fits the bill even better than PSTwo as far as compactness and perceived solidity (Nintendo systems are usually pretty resistant).

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
BY late 2007 the Wii will probably be around 100-130 dollars, and Nintendo hopes that everyone who bought a Wii will then buy another WiiDVD/WiiSP.

This is a business model that worked very well with GBA and DS, so why are we shocked Nintendo is trying it with consoles?

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
Fatghost said:
BY late 2007 the Wii will probably be around 100-130 dollars, and Nintendo hopes that everyone who bought a Wii will then buy another WiiDVD/WiiSP.

This is a business model that worked very well with GBA and DS, so why are we shocked Nintendo is trying it with consoles?
$100-130?

:lol

jarosh

The Black Brad Pitt said:
He has his reasons and so do i.

Nintendo peddling backwards.
yeah well, i'm not asking in a general sense. i realize that some people want the wii to play dvds, that doesn't bother me. i have no interest in damage controlling nintendo's decisions. i'm specifically interested in panajev's answer, since i know he's such a tech head and already has many BETTER options to playback dvds.

Panajev2001a said:
I am interested to have a cute device (that also plays games if I feel like playing them) to bring around, that is solid and small: the Wii fits the bill even better than PSTwo as far as compactness and perceived solidity (Nintendo systems are usually pretty resistant).
okay i guess that makes sense.

Alcibiades

Panajev2001a said:
I am interested to have a cute device [for DVD playing] (that also plays games if I feel like playing them) to bring around, that is solid and small: the Wii fits the bill even better than PSTwo as far as compactness and perceived solidity (Nintendo systems are usually pretty resistant).
that, or a subtle way to troll... :lol

at this point, I'm thinking Nintendo should have just left this off the table completely...

MrSardonic said:
then I'll get a Wii at the end of 2007.

Eh? If it's a firmware update that extends to systems bought on day one, then I don't see the problem. You would get DVD functionality at the same time, but you'd have a year with the system before DVD playback was implemented.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Cosmonaut X said:
Eh? If it's a firmware update that extends to systems bought on day one, then I don't see the problem. You would get DVD functionality at the same time, but you'd have a year with the system before DVD playback was implemented.

When does Nintendo give anything away for free?

Top Bottom