• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Colors |OT| of AWESOME! OUTSTANDING! AMAZING! CUBE! And Very High Reviews

M_Night said:
Holy shit.

Never played the game and I'm listening to the Aquarium Park music for the first time and my ears are literally being raped by its amazingness.

Will definitely pick this up in September when I get my Wii.

Yeah, it's an experience hearing it in-game.

Levyne

Banned
Just played and beat this. Was kind of turned off by the Saturday Morning Cartooness, but I guess anything is better than the seriousness of 06 and ShTH, also no f-ing chip.

Sorta wished there was a
Super-Sonic final boss fight
, but there was something nice about
a simple Sonic vs EggmanRobotnik final boss

Glad I played it, but also I glad I didn't pay 50 for it. Decent game, which is good for Sonic.

nns3d

Khold said:
Just played and beat this. Was kind of turned off by the Saturday Morning Cartooness, but I guess anything is better than the seriousness of 06 and ShTH, also no f-ing chip.

Sorta wished there was a
Super-Sonic final boss fight
, but there was something nice about
a simple Sonic vs EggmanRobotnik final boss

Glad I played it, but also I glad I didn't pay 50 for it. Decent game, which is good for Sonic.

You can unlock Super Sonic in the normal levels by collecting all the Red Rings and beating all the Sonic Simulator challenges.

Levyne

Banned
Afrocentric-Asian said:
You can unlock Super Sonic in the normal levels by collecting all the Red Rings and beating all the Sonic Simulator challenges.

Yeah, I'm aware, but I meant specifically to
fight the final boss with, ala doomsday zone, etc
. I thought about doing the rings/challenges but I'm not thinking I will, maybe someday.

Khold said:
. I thought about doing the rings/challenges but I'm not thinking I will, maybe someday.

Sonic games have had a LOT of those types of bossfights, though, and they usually end up equating to a shitty minigame that drags on way too long. None of them have ever been as cool as Doomsday Zone. It's way better that the game DOESN'T end on a "And then Eggman pays for his hubris and you fight the TRUE enemy!" note, like every other Sonic game in the last 10 years has.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Sega1991 said:
Sonic games have had a LOT of those types of bossfights, though, and they usually end up equating to a shitty minigame that drags on way too long. None of them have ever been as cool as Doomsday Zone. It's way better that the game DOESN'T end on a "And then Eggman pays for his hubris and you fight the TRUE enemy!" note, like every other Sonic game in the last 10 years has.
Oh god yes, its nice they didn't go with that angle as well.

MAtgS

Khold said:
DS version has it.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
_Alkaline_ said:
Yeah, it's an experience hearing it in-game.

I'm listening to it (specifically,the Act 3 version) right now.
What to say?
Good.
Great.
Awesome.
Outstanding.
AMAZING.
CUBE!

Finally got around to playing this...

Best Sonic game in years... washes away most of the bad taste left by, well, pretty much everything from the Heroes / Shadow era onward.

Can;t wait to play more tonight

Mael

Feels like a necro bump but I don't feel like making a lttp though...
The game got a price cut not so long ago so I decided to give it a go.
Impressive doesn't quite cut it here!
It starts right off the bat and then it goes on like nothing happened.
I understand why people say that it's really the best Sonic in ages....because it really is.
It's beautiful, colorful...now if the cutscenes didn't assume I was 5 yo that would perfect...

Mael said:
It's beautiful, colorful...now if the cutscenes didn't assume I was 5 yo that would perfect...
To be fair, Sega outright said the game was geared more towards younger audiences (Younger than usual, anyway) as far as the plot/writing was concerned.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Mael said:
Feels like a necro bump but I don't feel like making a lttp though...
The game got a price cut not so long ago so I decided to give it a go.
Impressive doesn't quite cut it here!
It starts right off the bat and then it goes on like nothing happened.
I understand why people say that it's really the best Sonic in ages....because it really is.

It really is the best Sonic SEGA has produced in ages. I know people jibe "Well that's not saying much!", but it really is a great game! ^_^

FreeMufasa

I was going to make a LTTP thread but might aswell post impressions here. Coming off Unleashed which I thought had potential but ultimately failed (day time), I was weary reading comments about this game being amazing. I thought the Unleashed style of gameplay just couldn't work. Boy was I wrong.

Plays very very good. SEGA were also smart to include temporary power-ups like Mario instead of characters with different gameplay. I do agree with the people that say the levels aren't as 'epic' as Unleashes but there's no doubt they're better here.

One thing that caught me off guard was the soundtrack. Every Sonic game has an outstanding soundtrack but I didn't expect Colours to be so good. Planet Wisp and Aquarium Park stand out in particular. If I hadn't played Colours, I doubt i'd have been hyped for Generations.

Blueblur1

Sega1991 said:
I completely agree. It definitely brings about a feeling of nostalgia because it's a simple Sonic vs. Eggman fight just like in Sonic 1 & 2. I want to see more of that in future games.

I just purchased Sonic Colors for $20. Hope its worth it guys.

From what I've played though, it seems pretty good. I'm just ignoring the "humor" and voices, as their both pretty bad.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Lucky Number Seven Force said:
To be fair, Sega outright said the game was geared more towards younger audiences (Younger than usual, anyway) as far as the plot/writing was concerned.
This is a game about a blue hedgehog running at the speed of sound or whatever trying to thwart the plans of an obese mad scientist. I think such plots are more appropriate to Sonic than the shit we have had before.

RobbieNick

IceDoesntHelp said:
I just purchased Sonic Colors for $20. Hope its worth it guys.

From what I've played though, it seems pretty good. I'm just ignoring the "humor" and voices, as their both pretty bad.

Listen to Eggman's PA announcements. That's where the true humor lies.

[Nintex]

I'm playing Sonic Generations right now and I'm certainly loving it but still deep down inside I think Sonic Colors is better. I should play them back to back once the holiday madness is over to be sure.

Okay...I'm on Sweet Mountain, and the lollipop swings or whatever the hell you wanna call them, rarely work like they're suppose to. Am I missing something?
God, I always have troubles with Sonic games, why do I even play them ;_;

IceDoesntHelp said:
Okay...I'm on Sweet Mountain, and the lollipop swings or whatever the hell you wanna call them, rarely work like they're suppose to. Am I missing something?
God, I always have troubles with Sonic games, why do I even play them ;_;
Boost into them for the easiest way of dealing with them

MEATER

[Nintex] said:
I'm playing Sonic Generations right now and I'm certainly loving it but still deep down inside I think Sonic Colors is better. I should play them back to back once the holiday madness is over to be sure.

Makes me want to buy colours for my wii now that I had so much fun with generations on my 360!

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
[Nintex] said:

Colors is the best update to Sonic so far. Part of it is that it really expands the gameplay in ways that work - the new power up concepts are fantastic.

There's also the issue of level design. Generations' premise is its weak point - Modern Sonic's levels are mostly 3D, since it wouldn't make sense to have too much 2D in them. That's what classic Sonic is for.

The stages in Colors are much better balanced, than the modern Sonic stages in Generations. 3D is only used as a bridge between the meaty, in depth 2D sections, or when there's a genuinely great idea for a 3D segment.

Plus Colors has fresh, creative new zone ideas that are generally better than the new themes in post Genesis Sonics. The zones in Colors have that colorful, abstract, baroque personality like the Genesis games.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Yeah, as much as Generations looks like a complete love letter to the series, Colors feels like the first good evolution of the franchise since the Dreamcast. I don't know how they avoided fucking up the Wisps, but they made it work.

Zen

Banned
The_Technomancer said:
Yeah, as much as Generations looks like a complete love letter to the series, Colors feels like the first good evolution of the franchise since the Dreamcast. I don't know how they avoided fucking up the Wisps, but they made it work.

They seemed like an evolution of the power ups in Sonic 3 and Knuckles. While being as such, they never undermine the core element of what makes Sonic good, and helped to bring back and enhance the element of exploration that had been missing from the more modern games (and Generations Modern Sonic, really). My only issue with Colors is that Sonic always feels a little stiff, and that in some ways it could become a bit too puzzle solving at times. It's still, at least to me, the best Sonic game of this generation. Generations is also hurt that because it's a compilation 'best of' that it doesn't have it's own voice. It's a mish mash of eras in Sonic that are stylistically separate from one another, and it makes everything feel very disconnected.

TunaLover

Late to the party, I got the game for cheap (for local prices standart), and the most surprising thing for me are the wisp powers, and the fact you can unlock new tracks for red coins, it adds a new layer of deepness in Sonic games, the game is visually stuning, but there is a certain abuse with play-itself segments, I've unlocked only 2 worlds, and they are great, and I agree with you guys, this evolution of the Sonic formula actually worked and should be implemented and expanded in future releases.

I'd wish they could implemented at least 1 classic Green Hill stage though, I miss the grass in my Colors.

Great game so far, buy it!

Berordn

I'd wish they could implemented at least 1 classic Green Hill stage though, I miss the grass in my Colors.
You will love the third planet. And many of the unlockable stages are based off of Sonic 1 level layouts.

Colors is excellent and the wisps do add a new layer to the game, though there are more than a few questionable uses of them. Still, it's much better than how they implemented it in Generations in the last two levels. Here's hoping something comes of that Sonic Dimensions rumor.

TunaLover

I think they still can use play-itself sections, it has been the staple of the serie after all, they could add some interactivity without loosing the visual wow factor, random QTEs sequences
maybe?

Tailzo

I enjoyed this a lot on the wii. I imagine it could look great on Dolphin. Since I finally got a gaming pc, I want to see for myself. Any recommended settings or something I should know? :)

Top Bottom