• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Colors Ultimate - PS5 4K 60FPS Gameplay

rubhen925

Game launches as a deluxe edition in NZ tomorrow. Standard next week. Sega sent a review copy my way, so sharing my impressions and some info:

- Game install size on PS5 is 12.48 GB
- PS4 version played on PS5 through Backwards Compatibility
- PR confirms it runs at 4K 60FPS. So far no issues. Runs smooth, no drops that I've noticed, and no issues like screen tears, etc.
- loading times are anywhere from 2-4 seconds depending on cutscenes, transitions, loading menus, etc.
- Text languages available - English, Japanese, German, French, Spanish, Italian, Russian, Polish.
- Spoken languages available - English, Japanese, German, French, Spanish, Italian.
- Cutscenes are not new. Or remade. They are the same cutscenes from the og game. It looks pixelated at times lol. Looks like slightly polished and upscaled.
- this remaster is supposed to be feature enhanced visuals, a new soundtrack. a new mode called Rival Rush (Face off against metal sonic), and some new cosmetic options in the game.
- It also is supposed to have the Jade Ghost wisp from Sonic Team Racing. Haven't seen it yet though, or quite possibly missed it when running by
- There is a tie in animated series called Sonic Colors: Rise of the Wisps
- Game is fun. And so far no crashes as of 3 hours of gameplay.

UPDATE - Some people asked about og music. Beating levels can unlock music in the extras menu. I'll have to check if those are music from the original game. It's been a long time so not sure myself. Will confirm later.

If there's anything else I will update the thread. Feel free to ask me questions. I can answer them :)

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Hey mate. I know it's obvious for some of us, but can you add gb next to 12.48? Just to avoid the confusion for some.

And thanks for the heads up :)

rubhen925

Hey mate. I know it's obvious for some of us, but can you add gb next to 12.48? Just to avoid the confusion for some.

And thanks for the heads up :)
LMAO i always add gb. for some reason i forgot today. Updated. Thanks :)

• LOL
Reactions: TLZ

Saber

Gold Member
Sometimes I felt like this was a filthy cashgrab...which is a shame.

No way I'm gonna play this with those forced soundtrack, changed lives mechanic, red warning that covers almost half of my screen, motion blur, bright everywhere and crappie customization.

Again, a shame...because I was really looking foward to this game.

BlackTron

Thanks for the detailed first impressions. Skipping right to what we want to know.

This is destined to be one of those games I'm excited to pounce on when it's on sale, but could never be arsed to be there day one...too easy for me to play the Wii original and I'm dubious of the changes.

This does nothing to delay my frothing desire for a full on new-ass Sonic title. When that's running in 4k60 wake me up! And yeahh, all that motion blur is making Dreamcast look crisp af lol.

I have the wii original which I’m sure is better. But if you haven’t played it you might want to pick it up

or not seems like they might have messed it up more than I thought. Get the og if you can

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Thank god we have some cool games like Sonic
compute-the-jetsons.gif

No option to change ost. Just comes with the new one....

Sad, but as i have the wii version too, not a big deal!

Are Sonic games really bad?

Colors(Wii and ds), Unleashed, Generations, Mania. All great games imho! (Not even mentioned the genesis games, SA1 and SA2)

I still don't understand the Sonic stigma. Every long game series has its "black sheep".

It's more like people who follow the media wave like shoal. Most haters haven't even played the games...

Last edited:
Very disappointed by the gameplay. It's so linear. More linear than Sonic 2 to me. Sonic on-rails ultimate? Are there even some kind of invisible walls, secrets to find, puzzles?

EDIT: Thanks for your contribution BTW.

Last edited:
Very disappointed by the gameplay. It's so linear. More linear than Sonic 2 to me. Sonic on-rails ultimate? Are there even some kind of invisible walls, secrets to find, puzzles?

EDIT: Thanks for your contribution BTW.
the original game was very linear, you only had a couple moments of back-tracking involving the wisps but even then it was only for optional collectibles and such, then again it's to be expected from the "Boost" formula also seen in the Day stages in Sonic Unleashed and in the "Modern" stages in Sonic Generations
looks like the same crappy gameplay that hasn't worked for decades now, or ever really.
this game was well recieved when it came out, also im pretty sure that gameplay is relatively new, the previous game using it being Sonic Unleashed.
Sonic bad plz laugh, why do some people hate on sonic so much? it's a great series yet people aren't willing to give it a chance.

Fake

Is funny reading Youtube commentary zone. Most of the people defending the game have Sonic avatar.

Funfact: When Sonic Colors Ultimate got those first preview from multiple game sites, most of them saying 'DuDe ThIs GaME WiLl HaVe OpTiOnS tO uSe oLd MuSiCs' and I always reply asking where they get this info.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
This game could barely pass as a cellphone game. SEGA can't fucking learn. They've ran out of nostalgia fuel at this point.

bender

What time is it?
This game could barely pass as a cellphone game. SEGA can't fucking learn. They've ran out of nostalgia fuel at this point.

Sonic was never good. Never. I don't think Sega is out of nostalgia fuel as the Super Monkey Ball Collection looks dope. They also give us the amazing Yakuza Team games.

Is funny reading Youtube commentary zone. Most of the people defending the game have Sonic avatar.

Funfact: When Sonic Colors Ultimate got those first preview from multiple game sites, most of them saying 'DuDe ThIs GaME WiLl HaVe OpTiOnS tO uSe oLd MuSiCs' and I always reply asking where they get this info.

You dirty troll. Leave Sonic alone!

chris-crocker-britney.gif

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Sonic was never good. Never. I don't think Sega is out of nostalgia fuel as the Super Monkey Ball Collection looks dope. They also give us the amazing Yakuza Team games.

Sorry for not making it clear, their other games are great. I'm talking about Sonic that has been stagnant for decades now with zero innovation.

again may i ask so what? if i say "anime is shit" to someone with an anime avatar of course their going to defend it, if i say that playstation is garbage to someone with a Playstation themed avatar their going to defend it, it's only natural that i defend a franchise i love y'know
people treat it like it's a new game, but Colors Ultimate is a remaster of a game realeased back in 2009, im pretty sure everyone praised Colors it when it came out, yet it's suddenly a bad game now because it's Sonic, i woudn't be surprised if people said Sonic Mania could barely pass as an Indie game 10 years down the line.

is Colors Ultimate really a terrible remaster when Nintendo sold us literal emulators, for 60$, and nobody says a thing? im pretty sure atleast SEGA put some effort into this, if anything y'all would be praising it if it was a Mario or Zelda remaster, and if anything, the game actually looks better, because most Wii games like Smash Bros. Brawl or especially Mario Kart Wii look ugly as sin nowdays, doesn't help that for some reason most Wii games look dark as hell.

You dirty troll. Leave Sonic alone!

chris-crocker-britney.gif
again give me a reason as to why "Sonic was never good", i'll wait.

Fake

again may i ask so what? if i say "anime is shit" to someone with an anime avatar of course their going to defend it, if i say that playstation is garbage to someone with a Playstation themed avatar their going to defend it, it's only natural that i defend a franchise i love y'know

Nothing against avatars, but spread fake news is another level.

In the end was proved the game don't let you change OST from mix to old, so need to be pointed out.

So, maybe, using an avatar of something you love, just maybe, can invalided your argument. As you say, just like members with Playstation avatar defending Sony greedy moves in the Horizon Thread.

Nothing against avatars, but spread fake news is another level.

In the end was proved the game don't let you change OST from mix to old, so need to be pointed out.

So, maybe, using an avatar of something you love, just maybe, can invalided your argument. As you say, just like members with Playstation avatar defending Sony greedy moves in the Horizon Thread.
tbf i kinda get the point, yes it makes you look like a fanboy of the thing your defending, and yeah there's definetely some bias to be had.

besides i've been thinking to change my avatar to something else anyways.

Saber

Gold Member

Defending has little to do with it, blinding defending is just just admitting stupidity. Unless you agree that defending for the sake of defending is ok.

Where did people heard that you could use the original soundtrack? No, they didn't. They were spreading false information in the hope the game looks better than it supposed to be. The port looks like it has tons of bugs not even present in the original game. Whats to defend here? Because people hate Sonic? Please, spare me. As a fan myself of Colors, I was totally looking foward to this. But I'm not stupid, I ain't gonna praise or give money to a company that doesn't care or give love to their main franchise. And if people hates Sonic is because of bad moves likes this and things like Sonic Forces, don't kid yourself thinking otherwise.

Defending has little to do with it, blinding defending is just just admitting stupidity. Unless you agree that defending for the sake of defending is ok.

Where did people heard that you could use the original soundtrack? No, they didn't. They were spreading false information in the hope the game looks better than it supposed to be. The port looks like it has tons of bugs not even present in the original game. Whats to defend here? Because people hate Sonic? Please, spare me. As a fan myself of Colors, I was totally looking foward to this. But I'm not stupid, I ain't gonna praise or give money to a company that doesn't care or give love to their main franchise. And if people hates Sonic is because of bad moves likes this and things like Sonic Forces, don't kid yourself thinking otherwise.
like i said i think people tend to overblow their bad moves, that's when we get stuff like the whole "sonic can't work in 3D" or in more extreme cases "sonic was never good " stuff that happens when any sonic game is below the ridicolously high expectations people have for the series, im not a blind fanboy, i do admit when SEGA did stuff wrong, SEGA is a corporation after all and they im aware they coudn't care less about my undying love for the series, or my admited bias born from the cynical look a lot of people have towards them, like "yeah sonic sucks because they don't care about the series because they don't catter to me"

from what ive heard it wasn't anything too terrible or gamebreaking and they were going to fix it with a day 1 patch (remember, this is technically a remake)

Top Bottom