• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Forces listed for November 7th by EBGames + EU Box art

LordKano

https://gonintendo.com/stories/2861...-lists-sonic-forces-for-nov-7th-release-new-b
Note : the listing was taken down, but the box art is still there.
https://ebgames.com.au/nintendo-switch-225669-Sonic-Forces-Switch
SONICFNS.jpg

Featuring Sonic, Sonic (Classic), Sonic (Metal), Original Character do not steal, Tails, Knuckles, Eggman and Infinite (the new bad guy).
It's a smaller version of this artwork from E3 :

Wish Sonic Mania got box art instead. But I get it. Can't release a $20 sonic up next to a $60 inferior version.

Same here. Mania looks to be a day 1 buy while I'm still on the fence with Forces. Hopefully both turn out good though.

Edit: Oh but I do like the box art. Still not a fan of the logo, but the contrast between the red/orange of the top and the blue of the bottom is nice.

EhoaVash

really wish classic sonic wasn't in this. why can't sega make a straight up modern sonic game with boost only gameplay =/

really wish classic sonic wasn't in this. why can't sega make a straight up modern sonic game with boost only gameplay =/
It's very odd that Colours remains the only modern Sonic game to not dwindle with any other characters. I suppose they're afraid the game would be too short which would explain why Colours had tons of acts and they varied in quality.

SimonM7

I hate classic Sonic in these. I hate hate hate hate hate hate hate it. I'll take this one thing to be stubborn, impossible internet hate man about and say I hate it. Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa... *inhale*... -aaaaaaaaaaaaayyyeeeet.

Not only did it feel a bit naff in Gens, Sonic Mania is going to make it feel infinitely more naff, and it's literally just Sega's way of still giving you a slow paced Werehog to pad the game with, but they dressed him up as Your Nostalgia Being Sold Back To You­™.

OK rant over. The mishmash they use to represent the custom character is hilariously awful also.

OK rant over-er.

(I'll play the shit out of this)

ZeoVGM

Banned
I still don't get why Classic Sonic is in this

Because for some reason, they refused to just do Generations 2 in 2-3 years after the original with fixes to the small number of issues it had.

Instead, they waited six years to do what is basically Generations 2 but with ugly original worlds and new gimmicks but without fixing any issues like classic Sonic's physics.

Six years.

RedBoot

That's the "official" look they went with for the OC? :/

Also looking forward to the "Why are there two Sonics?" or "Is that Sonic Jr.?" questions.

Because for some reason, they refused to just do Generations 2 in 2-3 years after the original with fixes to the small number of issues it had.

Instead, they waited six years to do what is basically Generations 2 but with ugly original worlds and new gimmicks but without fixing any issues like classic Sonic's physics.

Six years.

From what I played Classic Sonic didn't control like he did in Generations. He also didn't control like how he did in the original games.

LordKano

Six years.

Four. Lost World released in 2013.

That's the "official" look they went with for the OC? :/

Also looking forward to the "Why are there two Sonics?" or "Is that Sonic Jr.?" questions.

The official look was supposed to be the same guy but in red, idk why it's different in that picture.

Poster's pretty badass to be honest.

So my schedule so far:

Crash N. Sane Trilogy (still playing)

Sonic Mania in August

Knack in September

Odyssey in October

Sonic Forces in November

One of the best fucking years for platformers in ages, holy shit.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Four. Lost World released in 2013.

I'm not sure that changes my point.

And I think we all understand that Forces is meant as the "true" follow-up to Generations as it continues the style of game play from it, Colors and Unleashed while Lost World was a bit of its own thing.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Poster's pretty badass to be honest.

So my schedule so far:

Crash N. Sane Trilogy (still playing)

Sonic Mania in August

Knack in September

Odyssey in October

Sonic Forces in November

One of the best fucking years for platformers in ages
, holy shit.

Early previews are not very good. Might not want to count this game in that list.

Hell, Knack 2 impressions seem more positive than Sonic Forces.

plufim

Sonic Mania was outsourced to fans who spent decades creating game engines to replicate the classic 2D games.

Sonic Forces was outsourced to deviantart.

I still don't get why Classic Sonic is in this

When they first announced it we were all, "oh, Generations 2, sweet!" Then they went "nope, it's not Generations 2, you'll see!"

Now it just seems like the game is throwing everything at a wall and seeing what sticks. I keep forgetting Classic Sonic is in it and the Avatar stuff is just bizarre.

ZeoVGM

Banned
When they first announced it we were all, "oh, Generations 2, sweet!" Then they went "nope, it's not Generations 2, you'll see!"

Now it just seems like the game is throwing everything at a wall and seeing what sticks. I keep forgetting Classic Sonic is in it and the Avatar stuff is just bizarre.

I just don't get it. Fans would have been so happy if they just did Generations 2 with new zones, an effort to fix Classic Sonic's physics and a final boss that wasn't one of the worst ever in a video game.

So they announce Forces and they make a point to say that this isn't a sequel to Generations, that it is its own thing. And of course, this leads fans to believe they're trying something new.

... Then it turns out to just be an uglier and less interesting Generations.

And it's going to look so much worse releasing two months after Mania, which we already know will be fantastic and very likely the best Sonic game since S&K.

Yukinari

They should show off a new level thats not green hill with worse music or city level.

Mania is gonna eat this game up for lunch if they dont do a media blowout.

They should show off a new level thats not green hill with worse music or city level.

Mania is gonna eat this game up for lunch if they dont do a media blowout.

Sonic Forces classic Sonic already looks bad with tons of canned physics and boosters, Mania all the way for me.

Early previews are not very good. Might not want to count this game in that list.

Hell, Knack 2 impressions seem more positive than Sonic Forces.

I'm giving Forces the benefit of the doubt, since it has really only shown that destroyed city level everyone is sick of, and really, really short segments of Classic Sonic and DoNotSteal. Not really enough to make a definitive judgement on. Since it's borrowing from the hugely successful boost gameplay, I doubt it's really going to stray too far from the quality of those games.

PSqueak

Banned
It's one third of the game though

Yeah, but then it "defaults" a canon imagery by having an identificable design in the box, instead of, i dunno, a vague silhouette.

Hell, im willing to bet, after this game they'll turn the "default cover avatar" into a sepcific character that will come back in future games.

Top Bottom