• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Gems Collection

D-X

http://news.sonicstadium.org/?full=19

gems1po.jpg

bjork

Dear Sega:

Put Sonic CD on something current so people can see that it's not as great as their nostalgia goggles make them think, and they stop bitching.

<3, me.

PS: Make NiGHTS 2.

M3wThr33

Banned
bjork said:
Dear Sega:

Put Sonic CD on something current so people can see that it's not as great as their nostalgia goggles make them think, and they stop bitching.

<3, me.

PS: Make NiGHTS 2.
Sonic CD has the charge-up spin. Therefore it is automatically as good as I remember it.

D-X

Perhaps a clue to what games are included are the ones in the Shadow trailer - Sonic CD and Sonic Fighters (didn't somebody note the words 'arcade mode' and speculated a conversion had been made).

Commander_Zorg

that UKR wanker
M3wThr33 said:
Sonic CD has the charge-up spin. Therefore it is automatically as good as I remember it.

Well... it has the "charge up spin" but it takes about one second to fully charge yourself up so you can properly, er, discharge.

This makes it slightly worse than Sonic 2, and therefore only the second-best Sonic game of all time :)

And I just bought myself a CD-X!!! Thanks, SEGA!!

Just kidding. GREAT NEWS. It's almost assured to include Sonic CD and Sonic the Fighters.

Other possibilities:
Knuckles Chaotix(32X)
SegaSonic Arcade(Arcade)
Sonic R(Saturn)
Sonic Jam overworld(The 3D elements)(Saturn)
Sonic Shuffle(Dreamcast)

Probably not, but who knows:
Sonic Adventure
Sonic Adventure 2
The Sonic GameGear games.

jarrod

Banned
Personally, I'd prefer it to be more of a "Sonic Team" collection rather than character specific....

-Sonic CD
-NiGHTS... into dreams
-Christmas NiGHTS
-Sonic R
-Burning Rangers
-Chu-Chu Rocket!

...would make an excellent collection. :)

8bit

Knows the Score
jarrod said:
Personally, I'd prefer it to be more of a "Sonic Team" collection rather than character specific....

-Sonic CD
-NiGHTS... into dreams
-Christmas NiGHTS
-Sonic R
-Burning Rangers
-Chu-Chu Rocket!

It'll probably be something like that, but exclusive to the Gizmondo.

jarrod said:

-Sonic CD
-NiGHTS... into dreams
-Christmas NiGHTS
-Sonic R
-Burning Rangers
-Chu-Chu Rocket!

The salivating starts.

SonicMegaDrive said:
It's almost assured to include Sonic CD and Sonic the Fighters.

Sega refused to go through the minimal amount of extra effort to port the code before, so why should they do it now?

FortNinety said:
Sega refused to go through the minimal amount of extra effort to port the code before, so why should they do it now?

Because there's most likely a petition somewhere where 38 people have signed up because they want Sonic CD.. :lol Or not.. :)

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
jarrod said:

-Sonic CD
-NiGHTS... into dreams
-Christmas NiGHTS
-Sonic R
-Burning Rangers
-Chu-Chu Rocket!

That would probably flop sales-wise, at least compared to a(nother) collection of Sonic games. Unless they make the 'Sonic CD' part very apparent on the boxart, or emphasis 'SONIC' in Sonic Team Collection.
But this is Sega...so I wouldn't be surprised if this actually happens. ;)

FortNinety said:

Probably because this compilation exists as a direct result of that?

Tortfeasor

The import (japanese) version of Sonic CD was classic with great music and a great animated intro. The american music sucked in comparison. The game itself is about the same as any of the early sonic games with the added fun of having of 3 variations of each level (future, past, present) with the bonus level hidden inside only one of them.

DarkCloud

Tortfeasor said:
The import (japanese) version of Sonic CD was classing with great music and a great animated intro. The american music sucked in comparison. The game itself is about the same as any of the early sonic games with the added fun of having of 3 variations of each level (future, past, present) with the bonus level hidden inside only one of them.

why do I seem to be the only person that loved the American soundtrack over the more vocalized European/Japanese soundtrack? The American soundtrack more resembled the sonic music style from the Genesis games...

Collision Chaos
Quartz Quadrant
Palmtree Panic

These were some damn good tunes. The only tracks I did not like were Robotnik's theme (both versions) and the Sonic Boom intro (though that eventually grew on me).

And the course clear theme from Mega CD sonic drove me nuts. "Shoomp DA! Shoobity bump-BOW!"

I agree that the American soundtrack is great. It only gets flack because the Japanese soundtrack is much more upbeat. However, there's some very groovy tracks on the US version too. The Tidal Tempest stage theme comes immediately to mind.

Wouldn't it be nice if the compilation had BOTH soundtracks? Or am I wishing for too much?

stewy

Wow. Do people still bitch about the American Sonic CD soundtrack. It wasn't that bad. Certainly didn't magically turn Sonic CD into a bad game.

stewy said:
Wow. Do people still bitch about the American Sonic CD soundtrack. It wasn't that bad. Certainly didn't magically turn Sonic CD into a bad game.

Both the Japanese and American soundtracks are both great and overrated to an extent.

jarrod

Banned
SonicMegaDrive said:
Wouldn't it be nice if the compilation had BOTH soundtracks? Or am I wishing for too much?
Wouldn't really be possible on GameCube without extra work, but maybe PS2/Xbox. Then again it's Sonic Team, they tend to cut corners like crazy these days. Sonic Mega Collection was shameful compared to Sonic Jam. :/

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
DarkCloud said:
why do I seem to be the only person that loved the American soundtrack over the more vocalized European/Japanese soundtrack? The American soundtrack more resembled the sonic music style from the Genesis games...

Collision Chaos
Quartz Quadrant
Palmtree Panic

These were some damn good tunes. The only tracks I did not like were Robotnik's theme (both versions) and the Sonic Boom intro (though that eventually grew on me).

And the course clear theme from Mega CD sonic drove me nuts. "Shoomp DA! Shoobity bump-BOW!"

You can run... you can hide, you can reaaach the other side... OF THE RAIN-BOW!

I actually feel the same way, I liked the US one better (though arguably it was pointless to change it) - Spencer Nilsen was definitely an underrated VG musician (he did the Ecco music too, right? That game had some badass music)

Top Bottom