• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations |OT| What Sonic can learn from Sonic

Teknoman

Blueblur1 said:
The 'enemy bounce' and automated springs and ramps are what kill it for me. I loved taking advantage of the physics in the old games by jumping right before the apex of a hill for extra height and jump off an upward slope just before it ended for a crazy high jump. In this game Classic Sonic is practically locked onto the ground! at times.

I feel similarly restricted with Modern Sonic when I'm not allowed to boost on certain grind rails. :mad:

I dunno about no boosting on certain rails, unless I missed something. Not sure why certain ramps are automated, and why some arent though. I hit one of the higher ramps in Classic Green Hill with a spindash, and shot pretty far across the screen.

At least the majority of the loops arent automated...I wonder what their decision making process was as far as what runs automatically and what doesnt?

Teknoman

RobbieNick said:
Tap the jotstick around during a really long jump. Hit LB and RB to finish combo for extra boost.

Oh so any direction when you're in the air, and then right before you land press LB+RB?

The Hermit

I was avoiding modern videos, then I decided to watch the Modern Sky Sanctuary... that was way cooler than I expected!
Actually that was better than anything I played in Sonic Colors...

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The_Technomancer said:
Oh hey, I just watched the Modern trailer. Its cool that they actually brought back the wisp powers for Planet Wisp.
DRILL! Or if we're underwater...

We'll probably just be limited to Spikes and Rocket since those were used extensively in the original Planet Wisp and worked tremendously well with the level designs for that stage.

Teknoman

spindashing said:
Great OP! Looking forward to the game and I guess I'll be trying out the PSN demo tomorrow. Glad to hear positive impressions!

As long as you're used to 30 fps locked Sonic, you should be ok. It doesnt have drops or anything, but some are used to 60 fps Sonic for side scrolling in general.

ShadiWulf

Dark Schala said:
DRILL! Or if we're underwater...

We'll probably just be limited to Spikes and Rocket since those were used extensively in the original Planet Wisp and worked tremendously well with the level designs for that stage.
According to the demo leaks from a while ago Rocket and Spikes are the only wisp power ups, which is fine by me. Like you said, they work the best for Planet Wisp.

RobbieNick

Anyone who say that Modern Sonic levels don't have branching paths is nuts. I think Modern's level has as much if not more extra paths than classic.

RobbieNick said:
Anyone who say that Modern Sonic levels don't have branching paths is nuts. I think Modern's level has as much if not more extra paths than classic.

Yeah, about 5-10 seconds worth before they all meet up again on their automated path.

Teknoman

LeonSKennedy90 said:
Man, that was one BORING fucking demo. I hate the fact that they gave us Green Hill Zone, such a boring ass stage.

Even trying to find the different paths as modern Sonic? Either way, they couldnt give us too much...its just the first stage right?

ShadiWulf

LeonSKennedy90 said:
Man, that was one BORING fucking demo. I hate the fact that they gave us Green Hill Zone, such a boring ass stage.
Go watch the seaside hill and sky sanctuary videos in the OP if you want to see what this game is really all about =3

Seda said:
Snip
OMG NOSTALIGIA

OMG
Is that really the end medley? Should be marked for spoilers, no?

Teknoman said:
As long as you're used to 30 fps locked Sonic, you should be ok. It doesnt have drops or anything, but some are used to 60 fps Sonic for side scrolling in general.
30 fps was in Colors, right? I should be used to it.

Teknoman

spindashing said:
Is that really the end medley? Should be marked for spoilers, no?

30 fps was in Colors, right? I should be used to it.

Yeah and yeah.

LeonSKennedy90 said:
Yeah, about 5-10 seconds worth before they all meet up again on their automated path.

Well they meet back up, but thats about the same rate as any early Sonic stage. Not nearly as automatic as most modern Sonic games either (its still there, but you're in control most of the time).

ShadiWulf said:
Go watch the seaside hill and sky sanctuary videos in the OP if you want to see what this game is really all about =3

I've seen those, and they were nice, but that doesn't really help the demo be any less boring, does it?

Why couldn't they give us something potentially good, like Chemical Plant or...ANYTHING besides GHZ?

LeonSKennedy90 said:
I've seen those, and they were nice, but that doesn't really help the demo be any less boring, does it?

Why couldn't they give us something potentially good, like Chemical Plant or...ANYTHING besides GHZ?
I mean, it's Green Hill Zone. It's pretty iconic, if you ask me. This game is supposed to celebrate the 20 years of Sonic, and GHZ should be expected.

But, I guess that doesn't change the fact that it isn't your cup of tea.

I don't mean in the game, its iconic, we gotta drag that shit out of course, but I mean for the demo, couldn't you give us something to get excited about? Something with maybe SOME kind of challenge or depth to it, maybe?

Teknoman

LeonSKennedy90 said:

Because its a demo and they dont want to just throw people into the deep end?

LeonSKennedy90 said:
I don't mean in the game, its iconic, we gotta drag that shit out of course, but I mean for the demo, couldn't you give us something to get excited about? Something with maybe SOME kind of challenge or depth to it, maybe?
I guess, but from my experience demos are usually simple. That way interest is gained from the casuals to find more of a challenge in the real game.

Teknoman said:
Because its a demo and they dont want to just throw people into the deep end?

They seem perfectly fine with demoing City Escape. And lets be honest, this game isn't exactly rocket science, here. I don't think it would've broke the bank to give us a good level to play through.

the madman

Neo Member
Still baffles me why like half of the levels they picked are city-based levels. Should have cut out some of the modern levels and put in classics like Mushroom Hill or Ice Cap.

ShadiWulf

the madman said:
Still baffles me why like half of the levels they picked are city-based levels. Should have cut out some of the modern levels and put in classics like Mushroom Hill or Ice Cap.
Don't question the decisions of Iizuka-san. He knows best! :p

Teknoman

LeonSKennedy90 said:
They seem perfectly fine with demoing City Escape. And lets be honest, this game isn't exactly rocket science, here. I don't think it would've broke the bank to give us a good level to play through.

City escape would have been fun to play... Honestly i'm just glad know both play styles are fun/ look to be fun when things start to really flow. Im still of the opinion that there are too many city stages, but I guess they picked the areas that most people seemed to like from the various games.

Of course theres also the 3DS stages.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
ShadiWulf said:
According to the demo leaks from a while ago Rocket and Spikes are the only wisp power ups, which is fine by me. Like you said, they work the best for Planet Wisp.
Ah, completely forgot about that part of the leak. Too bad about Drill, since it's my favourite. But yeah, Spikes and Rocket work the best for Planet Wisp, so I'm not bothered. :)

the madman said:
Iizuka: (laughs)

Mushroom Hill is in the 3DS version, btw.

Teknoman

I wonder how much DLC potential/mod potential the game has...

Think Sega would actually introduce other game stage packs to generations? Like say a Sonic 1, 2 or 3 stage pack with 3 stages? As far as mods go, would modders be able to actually create new stages (Ice Cap, Hill top, Spring Yard) or just rearrange levels?

Would really have liked to see a stage for each "style" of area for a Sonic game (Hills, ice, factory, ruins, city, space, etc).

Just played the demo.

I liked Modern Sonic better, though years of Sonic Unleashed have trained me that X is the homing attack button.

...so many missed homing attacks.

edit: Does anyone else find that the first half or so of classic Green Hill has a nasty motion blur effect? Maybe its because of the detailed backgrounds.

Teknoman

AbsoluteZero said:
Just played the demo.

I liked Modern Sonic better, though years of Sonic Unleashed have trained me that X is the homing attack button.

...so many missed homing attacks.

edit: Does anyone else find that the first half or so of classic Green Hill has a nasty motion blur effect? Maybe its because of the detailed backgrounds.

I think thats the case. Its not a problem for me further into the stage.

Such a colorful, beautiful game, however. Looks great on my iMac.

Ws4IH.jpg

DeVeAn

I can't believe there is no ice level. Ice cap should have been in there. Or cool edge instead of spagonia.

Are later levels going to have more branching paths in the 3D modern segments? This is fun but it definitely has that same kind of "this will get old after a couple playthroughs" hold-forward gameplay.

The 2D modern segments obviously have a lot of alternate paths, but I'm not really in this for the 2D segments.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
The Xtortionist said:
Just listened to the ending medley. Soundtrack of the forever.

As a single game, I dunno, but as a series, it pretty much has the coolest fucking music ever.

Blueblur1

Teknoman said:
I dunno about no boosting on certain rails, unless I missed something. Not sure why certain ramps are automated, and why some arent though. I hit one of the higher ramps in Classic Green Hill with a spindash, and shot pretty far across the screen.

At least the majority of the loops arent automated...I wonder what their decision making process was as far as what runs automatically and what doesnt?
You can't boost on some of the rails before the cave with the giant robot fish and on some of the rails in the low path.

I can't find a video where the player uses the one specific ramp that I know Classic Sonic can't jump off of in the Classic Green Hill stage but it's the ramp right under the yellow spring in this part of this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=GXLrlL-oLpk#t=145s

Teknoman

petethepanda said:
Are later levels going to have more branching paths in the 3D modern segments? This is fun but it definitely has that same kind of "this will get old after a couple playthroughs" hold-forward gameplay.

The 2D modern segments obviously have a lot of alternate paths, but I'm not really in this for the 2D segments.

Yes i'm sure they will, especially since they have to hide those red rings in all the stages.

ShadiWulf

petethepanda said:

Watch the Sky Sanctuary and Seaside Hill videos in the OP if you want to vanquish any doubt. Be warned though, major spoilers. I haven't even watched them myself.

Top Bottom