• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Lost World |OT| Too X-treme for the Galaxy

Nico_D

Still no reviews in EU. That's just stupid. It's like SEGA is working against itself: when people don't know (enough) about the game, they likely won't buy it. So why not make the embargo more reasonable, how does it help to keep it long to the release day? Ridiculous.

Unless they are feared about the response. In which case the right move is to not make the game instead of trying to hide it from the view.

I just can't comprehend this kind of business decisions.

Tailzo

All that I'm saying is that we should be expecting great games from them at this point. How long is it going to be before a Sonic game comes out that rivals the quality of his major competitors?

Both Sonic Generations and Sonic Colors were a lot better than NSMB and NSMBU, imo. Also, I'd say they were on par with the excellent Rayman Origins. Although it sounds like Rayman Legends might become even better than all of those games :)

So IGN basically gave it a 6/10 (a 100 point scale is completely ridiculous, so I'm rounding up), which sounds fine to me. I'd personally give Colors a 7/10 and Generations a 6/10 and I enjoyed both games. Not everything needs to be a 9/10 or 10/10 for me to have a good time.

Oh c'mon ffs, I'm pretty sure it's better than 1.0 over Sonic 06', hahaha!

Just a reminder that the reviews were written by different people rather than some singular entity monolithic Ultrabrain that operates under the name IGN so simply pointing at the comparative scores and going "hurr durr herp de derp" is a Very Silly Thing.

Seik

Banned
Just a reminder that the reviews were written by different people rather than some singular entity monolithic Ultrabrain that operates under the name IGN so simply pointing at the comparative scores and going "hurr durr herp de derp" is a Very Silly Thing.

Don't take it that way please, I know all of this, plus it's kinda rude to 'hurr durr' people.

It's not like I ever took IGN seriously anyway. :)

That said, I can't wait to experience the game by myself, sounds like an all-new kind of Sonic gameplay wise and it gets all my attention.

I'm not sure I want Wisp to be a permanent part of the series anymore.

Loved them in Colors, but now I kinda diss them for forcing me to use the Gamepad only. :(

Don't take it that way please, I know all of this, plus it's kinda rude to 'hurr durr' people.

It's not like I ever took IGN seriously anyway. :)

That said, I can't wait to experience the game by myself, sounds like an all-new kind of Sonic gameplay wise and it gets all my attention.

I dunno, I just kinda dislike when people have this blanket "that publication sucks, never trust anything that comes from them" view when there are many different people writing for one site. Admittedly, I got into a little bit of that with Eurogamer in the review thread, but I think that's mostly just me reacting to them being held up as some paragon of video game commentary and critique when their history has shown that they can be as bad as everyone else. Which, really, proves my point. Lots of people write for different sites! Judging a piece purely by the site it was published on is silly.

Then again, I stopped paying attention to anything anywhere had to say about Sonic after the Unleashed reviews.

Spinluck

Loved them in Colors, but now I kinda diss them for forcing me to use the Gamepad only. :(

I liked them in Colors too.

But I have the feeling after playing Lost World, I will think it's time to lay them to rest until some other time. No power ups should make the game, "chorey" or break the flow of the game. Colors had Wisp that were far better than others, but they were never counter intuitive and were mainly there for finding alternate paths and red rings. What's worse is the unresponsiveness being reported to occur at times.

chip123

I finished the game last night and enjoyed it but i feel like i didn't fully understand it until i started doing the time trials. That's where this game really shines.

I finished the game last night and enjoyed it but i feel like i didn't fully understand it until i started doing the time trials. That's where this game really shines.

Is there something different in the time trials, or is it just because you played it once and got the hang of everything by the time you hit the trials?

chip123

Is there something different in the time trials, or is it just because you played it once and got the hang of everything by the time you hit the trials?

It's just that i was fully aware of the controls and everything i could do to find the fastest route through a level. First playthrough is basically a practice run.

Sweet raging rhinos, i've had a nice handle on my temper when playing games over the last year or two but this game really likes to reawaken the sleeping demon within on its later stages.
The second act of the lava world (aka: Grind Carts 2) was a disaster, I lost 20 lives on one horrid checkpoint and the final stage of the sky world gave me some grief as well.

I now appreciate Retro's mine carts and rocket barrels infinitely more having played the Sonic Team equivalents, at least grind carts has some damn nice music.

MilkBeard

It's just that i was fully aware of the controls and everything i could do to find the fastest route through a level. First playthrough is basically a practice run.

Sounds like there's some hidden depth in the game once you master the controls. Kind of sounds like a NiGHTS situation to me. I remember people having such a hard time when they first played that game. I used to watch people and they'd play so clumsily. After a few hours though, most people would race around the levels like pros. That's one of those games that have positives and negatives but ends up being a fun game. I'm hoping Lost World might have that same appeal.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Sweet raging rhinos, i've had a nice handle on my temper when playing games over the last year or two but this game really likes to reawaken the sleeping demon within on its later stages.
The second act of the lava world (aka: Grind Carts 2) was a disaster, I lost 20 lives on one horrid checkpoint and the final stage of the sky world gave me some grief as well.

I now appreciate Retro's mine carts and rocket barrels infinitely more having played the Sonic Team equivalents, at least grind carts has some damn nice music.

Try the time attack. It took me an eternity to get the S-Rank. The time is quite easy to match (or even almost impossible to miss?), but you need to get to the goal in one run. Really intense :). By the way, almost 43 hours here now, all S-ranks, all red rings, but some achivements still missing.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Sounds like there's some hidden depth in the game once you master the controls. Kind of sounds like a NiGHTS situation to me. I remember people having such a hard time when they first played that game. I used to watch people and they'd play so clumsily. After a few hours though, most people would race around the levels like pros. That's one of those games that have positives and negatives but ends up being a fun game. I'm hoping Lost World might have that same appeal.
Or Monkey Ball.

Try the time attack. It took me an eternity to get the S-Rank. The time is quite easy to match (or even almost impossible to miss?), but you need to get to the goal in one run. Really intense :). By the way, almost 43 hours here now, all S-ranks, all red rings, but some achivements still missing.

Well congrats on that, I can see myself managing it eventually since the stage is more memorizing the right jumps for the right moments than anything else, I guess the issue isn't running out of time but running out of sanity.

MilkBeard

You've played the game for 43 hours already? wow, that's a long time. I'm guessing the game has a lot of replayability?

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Oh by the way, did someone get an S-Rank on Zone 1 Act 3 already? This was extremely difficult for me. Was there a trick to it (despite the one place where you needed to
break through glass
to get a bit faster), or was it just this hard?
You've played the game for 43 hours already? wow, that's a long time. I'm guessing the game has a lot of replayability?
Indeed, it has. 5 red rings in each level, some well hidden, others difficult to get, as well as sometimes brutally difficult to get S-Ranks. Also, I have gotten about half the Achievements already, small missions like "collect X amount of rings", "beat boss number X without being hurt" or "Have more than 200 rings when you reach the goal". The unlock three at a time. I advise to do them at the end though, after collecting all red coins, because it's more fun then, becuase of (BIG spoiler!)
Super Sonic

chip123

Oh by the way, did someone get an S-Rank on Zone 1 Act 3 already? This was extremely difficult for me. Was there a trick to it (despite the one place where you needed to
break through glass
to get a bit faster), or was it just this hard?

Took me about an hour to get an s-rank. I'm stuck looking for the 5th red ring on Frozen Factory 4. I think i know where it is but i can't seem to get there.

EDIT - i am dumb.

NotLiquid

I'm up to the third act of Windy Hill. I have to say I was kind of worried about the controls going in but it only took me a few minutes to get accustomed to them. Sort of. Parkouring is still something I have to learn to use to it's fullest, but it's a promising concept honestly, and as expected I love the employment of the tiered system.

The game itself didn't click for me until Act 3. The atmosphere of the level and it's music reminds me of a mix between Rayman and Crash Bandicoot. The level design itself has some very intuitive use of the tube gimmicks here and I really hope to see more of this.

Wisps are really shitty so far which is hugely disappointing. Thankfully it seems like you can control the Laser with the stick.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I'm not sure I want Wisp to be a permanent part of the series anymore.

The wisps in Lost World are god awful. But that doesn't mean they shouldn't return. The reason they're bad in Lost World is because of the forced gamepad bullshit. Wisps were a fantastic addition in Colours and never broke the flow of the game. Wisps hurt Lost World because of the implementation. They are the single worst thing about the game. They should return in future games but follow the Colours playbook without any gimmicky gamepad or motion control crap.

Anyway I just finished the forest world. Well I certainly got what I asked for. The game is a lot more challenging than Colours and Generations. Mostly for the right reasons. I think the game could do without the lives system though, or at least vomit lives at you the way Colours does. Anyway I'm definitely enjoying this game a lot. Miles better than Generations and a very engaging platformer. I HATE the way the wisps are used and to be honest they kinda drag the game down. I also think the game has a bit too much 2D. 3D is where the strengths of the game are. Boss fights are mediocre but they're not annoying or anything so it's cool.

Is it better than Colours? I'll wait until I finish the game before I decide that, but at the moment I'm thinking.......maybe. I'd say it's more flawed than Colours and the fact Colours did the wisps right gives it a huge plus over Lost World. But Lost World is more challenging, the 3D gameplay is miles better, it's more varied and has better controls. But it's certainly a very good game and certainly better than the disappointment that was Generations. This formula is the way going forward.

daakusedo

Do I charge my spindash for time trial or not?
I'm still not sure if the time wasted on doing it gives enough speed to make up for it.

I hope the drill is good in this game because just doing the three first levels exploring and getting some achievements done, I have already good feelings like the ones from discovering aquarium park. Every moves blend so well for time trials, stayin on spindash, getting a laser wisp then jumping over a pit and quickly launching laser to get on the other side. At first you would think jumping on 5 animals containers ranged one after the other would be a bad idea with typical sonic controls but well here it works!
I wonder if there rich 2d levels cause it seems moving to packing the 3d ones, they got a side level treatment. Is there even 2d/3d levels?

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Nice surprises coming back from work: my copy was there and it's the deadly six edition.

Just did 1-1 off TV and it's as fluid there as I hoped it to be. So far, so good. I counted 4 running speed, and I don't know if it's best to explore or go as fast as I can.

so after playing a few stages i am amazed at the low scores some publications have given to this game.

it looks good, controls well and has pretty good sense of speed.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Ok seriously Sega ditch the fucking lives system. It's archaic and does nothing but frustrate the player forcing them to start the stage from the beginning after just a few deaths. A few deaths which are very expected in these late stages. Some deaths feel kinda bullshitty too, especially when combined with the lives system. If even I'm getting annoyed with this I just know people less tolerant of this kind of thing in platformers are going to be mega frustrated with this game late on. Sky Road was not a pleasant experience.

Peff

Ok seriously Sega ditch the fucking lives system. It's archaic and does nothing but frustrate the player forcing them to start the stage from the beginning after just a few deaths. A few deaths which are very expected in these late stages. Some deaths feel kinda bullshitty too, especially when combined with the lives system. If even I'm getting annoyed with this I just know people less tolerant of this kind of thing in platformers are going to be mega frustrated with this game late on. Sky Road was not a pleasant experience.

Word to the wise: do not enter 7-2 or 7-3 without at least 20 lives just in case. There's an easy place to "grind"
the last checkpoint before the boss in 2-2 has 4 lives in a row in the lower path

qq more

Lives system aren't archaic. See: Mega Man.

NotLiquid

So I've finished up Desert Ruins and unless this game makes a spectacular nosedive in quality (I'm already well aware of how hard it's going to get at the very least) I honestly don't have that much to complain about. In fact the game is pretty good! I don't know if it's because I went in expecting to find the game to be a disappointing turd but I'm genuinely surprised over how much I've been enjoying this since the first few acts.

The cutscenes and the story so far are really fun. It's easily the best setup Sonic has had since the Genesis days and it's finally using the strengths of the writers to it's fullest potential. When Ken Pontac said that they can finally get the best out of their talents since they wrote the story, I really agree. Sonic and Tails are spectacular in this. The Deadly Six are actually pretty fun as villains and I hope to see more of them since Sonic could use a new regular antagonist that he can square off with on a grounded level. And, as always, Eggman is the best character in the entire series. People really don't give him enough credit as a villain - he's fucking awesome. Honestly it makes me kind of sad knowing that the endgame is going to kind of suck because my initial impressions so far on the characters are nothing short of positive.

In terms of game play itself the duds come mostly from the iffy level design every once in a while. I've had quite a few deaths but usually I enjoy playing the game so much it doesn't really matter. Surprisingly enough the 2D levels are actually a lot more fun to play than previous Sonic outings due to the gravity gimmicks making things interesting. It feels like Sonic really starts to control well once you get used to his movements but I do feel he could be just a smidge faster than he already is. In terms of game play the Wisps feels like the most tacked on part but since it seems like most of them can be controlled with the control stick it doesn't really affect me.

Honestly the only real issue I see is that the game is just a bit unspectacular. Setting aside the presentation the game play is mostly basic and the level design can occasionally be a bit standard. But other than that it feels like a good game that at times has some real moments of brilliance.

I don't know. I feel like I'm missing something here with the negativity. So far I feel like I'm treated to something rather good, and something that as a whole feels like a huge step up from Generations and its closed off, inconsistent setup.

Top Bottom