• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania (8-15-2017, SEGA/Taxman/Headcannon/PagodaWest, PS4/XB1/PC/NX)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't recall ever bragging for Sonic to be exclusive on Nintendo platform. Though I will note I do feel it makes more sense than other platforms, though those platforms are generally normal for it too.

I do hope so, at least right before Spring is officially here in March. I'm personally hoping for Hydrocity for Sonic 3 just cause I feel they could do some really interesting stuff with that zone. I'd be fine with anything that isn't Mushroom Hill or Sandopolis in from S&K.

Excellent and inspired choice of zone. Hydrocity could be awesome. Personally I'd love Ice Cap Zone from Sonic 3 given it was overlooked for Sonic Generations. The marketing should kick in to gear soon as we're not that far out from the Spring release now. I'd love a new trailer or something like that so hopefully they'll reveal more as we rapidly approach release.

Also patiently waiting on a solid release date so hopefully that will come soon too.

Seriously though, can't people be happy this game is on more platforms, I don't get some Nintendo people who seem to be obsessed with the idea of Sonic being an exclusive, I mean, the Wii U era was their chance at that and that ended badly, they even prevented the Taxman versions of Sonic 1 and 2 from being released outside of mobile platforms (oddly enough they didn't want them on their own platforms either).

[citation needed]

[citation needed]

I remember this one. Sonic Mania developer Stealth did an interview with Segabits and that's where the information came from. The Nintendo exclusivity deal prevented his and Taxman's Sonic mobile remasters from coming to other platforms. Hence why when the deal and contract ended Sonic Lost World was rushed out to Steam.

I remember this one. Sonic Mania developer Stealth did an interview with Segabits and that's where the information came from. The Nintendo exclusivity deal prevented his and Taxman's Sonic mobile remasters from coming to other platforms. Hence why when the deal and contract ended Sonic Lost World was rushed out to Steam.

Makes so sense when those games could've been released on the Wii U eShop if that's the case.

RK128

Cool that it's on the Switch so we won't have Nintendo fans demonising the game and shouting about how Sonic should ONLY be on Nintendo because they like him as their sub or something. /s

Seriously though, can't people be happy this game is on more platforms, I don't get some Nintendo people who seem to be obsessed with the idea of Sonic being an exclusive, I mean, the Wii U era was their chance at that and that ended badly, they even prevented the Taxman versions of Sonic 1 and 2 from being released outside of mobile platforms (oddly enough they didn't want them on their own platforms either).

What O_O!?

.....That deal prevented the best versions of Sonic 1 and 2 from leaving mobile. Unbelievable.......

Maybe now that the deal is over, they can make a collection containing Sonic 1 & 2 Remastered alongside Sonic Mania later this year if possible. That would be nice.

What O_O!?

.....That deal prevented the best versions of Sonic 1 and 2 from leaving mobile. Unbelievable.......

Maybe now that the deal is over, they can make a collection containing Sonic 1 & 2 Remastered alongside Sonic Mania later this year if possible. That would be nice.

I know man, it is pretty shocking and disappointing. Also a collection would be a fantastic idea. We had an initiative over on Sonic Retro to try and convince Sega to greenlight Sonic 3K Remastered a year or so ago so the perfect scenario would be Sonic 1, 2 and 3K Remastered along with Sonic Mania in one awesome collection.

Personally I'd pay like $100 for something like that. It'd be one of the best collections ever.

RK128

I know man, it is pretty shocking and disappointing. Also a collection would be a fantastic idea. We had an initiative over on Sonic Retro to try and convince Sega to greenlight Sonic 3K Remastered a year or so ago so the perfect scenario would be Sonic 1, 2 and 3K Remastered along with Sonic Mania in one awesome collection.

Personally I'd pay like $100 for something like that. It'd be one of the best collections ever.

Sigh.....at least we are getting Mania and now that Taxman/Stealth are major developers for SEGA (even SEGA Japan is happy with them, considering Sonic Team is helping with Mania), we could get a collection happening.

I don't know if we will get a Sonic 3 & Knuckles Remastered due to the implied legal issues surrounding Sonic 3's OST. I could see that being fixed with SEGA replacing a few tracks like Carnival Night and Ice Cap with new music or remixed music from Sonic Team's Sound Team or something.

I would easily shell out over 60-80$ for a fantastic collection with the remastered versions of Sonic 1, 2, 3&K and even Sonic Mania! Icing on the cake would be tossing in the remaster of Sonic CD and an emulated version of Knuckles Chatiox.

Any more info regarding this, I'm interested in more info about why?

Davey Cakes

It's honestly surprising that this wasn't confirmed for Switch right off the bat.

It's a simplistic game, technically, and it's a perfect fit for Nintendo platforms considering how well Sonic games perform on Nintendo platforms.

The fact that the new Sonic Team game was confirmed for "NX" before Sonic Mania has always been funny to me.

Anyway, this should be a sweet game for Switch owners, being portable and all. If I get it, it'll either be on PC or on Switch (when I eventually get one). If my current PC can run it just fine then I'll more likely go that route, however. I've been on a "Steamroll" lately.

Sigh.....at least we are getting Mania and now that Taxman/Stealth are major developers for SEGA (even SEGA Japan is happy with them, considering Sonic Team is helping with Mania), we could get a collection happening.

I don't know if we will get a Sonic 3 & Knuckles Remastered due to the implied legal issues surrounding Sonic 3's OST. I could see that being fixed with SEGA replacing a few tracks like Carnival Night and Ice Cap with new music or remixed music from Sonic Team's Sound Team or something.

I would easily shell out over 60-80$ for a fantastic collection with the remastered versions of Sonic 1, 2, 3&K and even Sonic Mania! Icing on the cake would be tossing in the remaster of Sonic CD and an emulated version of Knuckles Chatiox.

Agreed wholeheartedly. I think it all depends on Sonic Mania's sales. If the game sells extremely well Sega will see a market for classic Sonic and potentially greenlight more Sonic projects like a Mania 2 or potential new collection. As I recall Sonic Mega Collection is like, one of the best selling Sega games ever with multiple millions of sales on multiple platforms so Sega knows there is demand hence why the remasters and Sonic Mania are happening in the first place.

I really, really want Mania to do exceptionally well but looking at the buzz and hype around the game it almost definitely will.

Any more info regarding this, I'm interested in more info about why?

I'm interested too but to my knowledge outside of that interview with Stealth there isn't more information about it. Basically we know that during the Nintendo exclusivity deal Sonic was not allowed on other platforms in any game and that prevented the remasters reaching more than mobile.

On a positive note the exclusivity deal is long gone now so it's not an issue any more.

If the footage released so far is any indication, the Switch battery will last about 35 minutes with the amount of Blast Processing at work here

lObBR0q.gif

It's honestly surprising that this wasn't confirmed for Switch right off the bat.

It's a simplistic game, technically, and it's a perfect fit for Nintendo platforms considering how well Sonic games perform on Nintendo platforms.

The fact that the new Sonic Team game was confirmed for "NX" before Sonic Mania has always been funny to me.

Being that Switch version is ported by another studio, its possible they didn't have someone to port it over at the time of the first trailer, hence the omission.

I'm no expert on inner workings like that though.

I'm interested too but to my knowledge outside of that interview with Stealth there isn't more information about it. Basically we know that during the Nintendo exclusivity deal Sonic was not allowed on other platforms in any game and that prevented the remasters reaching more than mobile.

On a positive note the exclusivity deal is long gone now so it's not an issue any more.

In that case, seeing as how Sega didn't attempt to do something regarding a rerelease of the 3 remasters for 2016, I don't have that much expectations for it to happen...

Sonic Classic Anniversary Collection containing the Taxman remasters of 1 + 2 CD + 3&K along with Mania in a single package, let's go!

SoulUnison

Banned
Sonic Classic Anniversary Collection containing the Taxman remasters of 1 + 2 CD + 3&K along with Mania in a single package, let's go!

This just made me wonder. Does Mania have a story to it, or is it just some playgrounds to bounce around it?
And I say that knowing full well that Genesis Sonic "stories" are basically just a framing paragraph in the instruction manuals.

I guess I'm really just hoping they'll scrub Sonic 4 from canon.

RK128

This just made me wonder. Does Mania have a story to it, or is it just some playgrounds to bounce around it?
And I say that knowing full well that Genesis Sonic "stories" are basically just a framing paragraph in the instruction manuals.

I guess I'm really just hoping they'll scrub Sonic 4 from canon.

There is a story to Mania according to the team working on the game; they said something along the lines of 'Sonic is revisiting past zones for a reason'.

RK128

In that case, seeing as how Sega didn't attempt to do something regarding a rerelease of the 3 remasters for 2016, I don't have that much expectations for it to happen...

I think if anything, we will see the release of Sonic 1, 2 and CD remastered this year on PS4, Xbox One, PC (in the case of Sonic 1 & 2) and Switch. Would makes sense and if the Retro Engine is up on newer systems, it shouldn't be hard getting ports of the other remasters up on consoles.

Aquova

You'd think Sega would try and make those remasters into a thing on the eShop to fulfill a Sonic game on a Nintendo platform.

The problem with that is the M2 versions of Sonic 1 and 2 exist. The Taxman versions won't be released, otherwise you have two different versions of the same game on eShop.

I just wish SOMEONE would make an excellent port of Sonic 3K...

The problem with that is the M2 versions of Sonic 1 and 2 exist. The Taxman versions won't be released, otherwise you have two different versions of the same game on eShop.

M2's versions of Sonic 1 & 2 are exclusive to 3DS, though, considering the whole 3D gimmick.

Unless SEGA is planning on re-releasing all their 3D classics stuff on the Switch's eShop without 3D.

I mean the Wii U never had those ports, it can make sense to just port it to Wii U

Spinluck

Hope it's $20 so I can triple dip for the price of a full priced game (Switch, PS4, Steam).

If not, I'll wait for sales and make it happen anyway. Switch will be the first version bought though, too convenient not to.

From what I remember hearing, Sonic Mania came about because Christian Whitehead proposed releasing those remastered versions of Sonic 1 and 2 with bonus content in a bundle for Steam or whatever

And eventually the bonus content grew in to a whole new game unto itself

That's why the game is leaning so hard on remaking old levels.

I don't remember where I specifically read that, though, so I guess maybe take it with a grain of salt

The Taxman

Neo Member
From what I remember hearing, Sonic Mania came about because Christian Whitehead proposed releasing those remastered versions of Sonic 1 and 2 with bonus content in a bundle for Steam or whatever

And eventually the bonus content grew in to a whole new game unto itself

That's why the game is leaning so hard on remaking old levels.

I don't remember where I specifically read that, though, so I guess maybe take it with a grain of salt

I haven't seen that myself, but I can tell you that's not how the project started.

opricnik

Banned
Hope it's $20 so I can triple dip for the price of a full priced game (Switch, PS4, Steam).

If not, I'll wait for sales and make it happen anyway. Switch will be the first version bought though, too convenient not to.

Switch version is out-sourced port though while others are in-made in studio.

I would be cautious about this.

I hope this leads to more games in a similar vein. Saturn had fantastic 2D but that era was denied a Streets of Rage 4 and (hand drawn pixel art) Shinobi. Other games too, i think for instance if Ultra Steet Fighter 2 ditched the HD mode and made real new characters in low res, to continue on from Super Turbo, a lot more people would be excited for it! Could even use newer characters from 4 and 5 in the old style.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom