• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania |OT| Dreams Come True

Paragon

Hey thanks for responding to my question - I tried what you suggested and while the rest of the buttons work, the D-Pad doesn't seem to work. Guess I'll try to use X360ce or something. :(
I haven't used a generic controller with Steam before, but I think you have to set up what action each button is assigned to first:
D8UhgBM.png

How does the chaos emerald system work? I got 3 on my first playthrough because I kept screwing up the 3rd UFO stage. Do I need to start a new game from the beginning and try again to collect all 7 in one playthrough, or is there an easier way to try and get the 4 that I missed?
After you beat the game on a file, you can select whatever level you want on that file, and you can try for the emeralds again. Once you have them all, just select the last level and play through to the full ending.

I was doing that BEFORE Sonic Mania was out. Sonic CD have a Level Design so bad i just don't understand the game. That being said the worst run was without a doubt the one where i tried to get all chaos emerald and all good future, the time travel mechanic is just totally broken and it was one of the worst experience i ever had in a 2D Plateformer.

Sonic Advance is... Well we can see the whole concept is to have the most "Sonicish Sonic" ever which was excusable since it was the first (not really but still) Sonic on portable... Soo yeah, that being said the game doesn't have nearly as much generosity with its mechanics and everyzone seems far duller as a result... But hey, it's still Sonic indeed. (The special stages are complete bullshit though...)

Sonic Advance 2 is very interesting, it completely dish the Sonic formula in order to make the player feel like he always have to go fast. I actually wonder if that's when the misconception of Sonic all being about being fast have been consolidated. Now the stages don't really have a lot to differenciate each other but they are far more of them now. Also there is a focus on different characters which always felt like strange with the Sonic Formula. (Why would you NOT want to take the quickest character in the kind of Level Design of Sonic ?)

I think that's the premise of the boost formula and even if i liked the game enough at the time, now i really don't like the direction it was taking.

That was interesting to play though... Maybe the Sonic Master System would be cool enough for me ?

The Master System Sonic games vary from not even trying to play like a Classic Sonic game (Sonic 1 & 2) to playing like a lesser version of the classics (Chaos & Triple Trouble). I like 1 & Triple Trouble for what they are, but none of them hold a candle to the Genesis games.

Obviously stay the fuck away from Sonic Labyrinth, Sonic Blast, and Game Gear Sonic Spinball. Tail's Adventure is actually a decent Metroidvania game for the system, though.

SoulUnison

Banned
Studiopolis Act 1 boss feels a bit off.

Sonic's angle and velocity has always been affected by slopes - it's not a bug, it's a feature! - but it seems to be taken to some kind of extreme here.

Silvawuff

Lol, I'm just trying to help where I can, some things are out of my hands though.

Thank you, for helping bring such a glorious game into existence. I can't begin to express how grateful I am that this project happened, and I'm able to re-experience classic Sonic with every improvement and tweak this game series has deserved for decades.

I haven't really noticed any problems with DRM. I know the pitchforks are out right now, but I think this is an issue that will be resolved over time.

Saikyo

Other than see the true ending there is a reason to finish
Egg Reverie
? Does it unlock anything? You can even hear that stage theme in D.A. Garden if you unlocked before.

So while I'm not thrilled to find out about this DRM issue, this game is a masterpiece! Please let this sell well, we need more of these treasures!

dlauv

Controls are perfect for me. I'm running it in borderless windowed mode (set res via ini in app folder w/ border off and window on) on a monitor with 5ms input lag or more. Slicker than PS4.

I don't understand why everyone is so mad at the DRM. Seems kind of pointless, sure, but I don't think we know that's why it was delayed two weeks. Like, 11th hour DRM? Doesn't make sense. And, it's not like this DRM is somehow worse than any other DRM, right?

Is it the idiotic scandalous memes surrounding Denuvo, with ghost stories about screwed up SSDs and performance issues that are complete bullshit?

SoulUnison

Banned
Doesn't make sense. And, it's not like this DRM is somehow worse than any other DRM, right?

Actually, many Denuvo implentations constantly read and write encrypted data to your memory and storage devices, legitimately shortening the life span of your HDD/SSD and possibly RAM.

The prize that paying customers win for their money is undue wear and tear on their expensive equipment, while the pirates ironically skip this by stripping the DRM processes from games.

Way to go, Denuvo!

dlauv

Actually, many Denuvo implentations constantly read and write encrypted data to your memory and storage devices, legitimately shortening the life span of your HDD/SSD and possibly RAM.

The prize that paying customers win for their money is undue wear and tear on their expensive equipment, while the pirates ironically skip this by stripping the DRM processes from games.

Way to go, Denuvo!

I'm pretty sure this was put to rest years ago.

Dinjoralo

Finally playing, and got about three hours in today? That's pretty good.

The drop dash is a great idea for a move. Such a clever way of letting you maintain your momentum and mitigate lots of stop-and-go-ness if you know when to use it.

Yukinari

So do we know when the console versions will get patched? Id like to play on Switch now since i played on PS4 already.

Adding a super button is a huge fix.

Finalizer

So I never bothered to restart Steam until I finished my first playthrough. Got all the medallions all the while. Restarted Steam, and the cheevo for medallions is not unlocked, and completing a bonus stage doesn't grant it.

send help

Saikyo

I don't understand why everyone is so mad at the DRM. Seems kind of pointless, sure, but I don't think we know that's why it was delayed two weeks. Like, 11th hour DRM? Doesn't make sense. And, it's not like this DRM is somehow worse than any other DRM, right?

It was badly implemented, you cant play it offline like other denuvo games so already a problem for players who bought it legally.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/584400/announcements/detail/1448326045461380318

Like you, we've noticed an error in the Steam store not mentioning the DRM for Sonic Mania.

We're fixing that now.

Sonic Mania is intended to be played offline and we're investigating reports on that.

We're also investigating other issues like controller support, these are all PC specific things that Christian and the team have been working on these last few weeks

Please bare with us while we collate and investigate problems that are being brought to our attention

Why are you siding with companies? Do you have a share of Sega or work for them?

JackelZXA

If stage transitions aren't being patched in I'd be curious to know what they were supposed to be, but my guesses are as follows:

FBZ -> PGZ
Knocks off the door of FBZ and snowboards down a hill and crashes into PGZ like the Sonic 3 thing was intended to be before FBZ was moved.

SSZ -> HCZ
Eggman uses Phantom Ruby to turn the stage upsidedown and Sonic falls off of Little Planet onto Angel Island below.

HCZ -> MSZ
Sonic gets sucked into the tunnel below the boss arena and when you go to the right you see Knuckles standing next to a button and grinning like in HCZ act 2, but when he hops on it it opens the door infront of him instead of knocking you below and he waves you to follow him to the Tornado, which is docked there. If you're knuckles you just walk through the wall and Tails and Sonic are already with the plane and you hop off and take off towards what used to be Sandopolis Zone. (I think a subversion of the Knuckles traps would be an amazing justification for Knuckles showing up again only to get knocked off)

OOZ -> LRZ
Get on a sub, ride it to LRZ.

LRZ -> MMZ
As Sonic and Tails, hop on a Rocket that takes off behind where you fight Heavy Rider.

MMZ -> TMZ
Phantom Ruby turns the Eggman Statue from SSZ into the Titanic Monarch. Hop on one of those WWZ rocket platform things they use all over TMZ to get over to it.

Those are just my best guesses. Not really trying to come up with ideas, just trying to figure out what was probably removed based on what would make sense in relation to this game and the old ones.

Baleoce

Wish I'd just got it on PS4 now. PC version won't even recognise my DS4 controller through Steam even though Steam has it enabled / working, and I even have the Christian Whitehead PS4 controller profile loaded.. Like, what else can I do.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I put in my two-hour grace period on Steam before requesting a refund. Can't bring myself to support that kind of DRM.

But on a more positive note, here were some of the bugfixes and changes that I noticed in the PC version while playing:

• Sonic can no longer reach Knuckles' starting area of Green Hill 1
  • You now seem to always receive an extra life at 50k points as intended. (On Switch, this doesn't happen if you pass the 50k mark during the end-of-level score bonus.)
  • Super transformation is performed via a dedicated button instead of a double-jump. What's odd, though, is that this seems to be the same button used to activate debug mode. I didn't have time to unlock debug mode and see how that conflict is handled.
  • The "now saving" icon now actually does appear onscreen between levels.

Paragon

Wish I'd just got it on PS4 now. PC version won't even recognise my DS4 controller through Steam even though Steam has it enabled / working, and I even have the Christian Whitehead PS4 controller profile loaded.. Like, what else can I do.
If this is your first time enabling Steam Input on the controller, you may have to restart Steam and disconnect/reconnect the controller for it to be properly detected:
A lot of people seem to have trouble getting it to work the first time for some reason (possibly having used other software with it before?) but once it's set up and working correctly you shouldn't have any more trouble.
You must have the Steam Overlay enabled for it to work too, and some older overlay software (e.g. GPU stats) may conflict with it.

Controls are perfect for me. I'm running it in borderless windowed mode (set res via ini in app folder w/ border off and window on)
That seems to fix the problems I've had with switching away from the game to something else and then going back to it, thanks.

Is it the idiotic scandalous memes surrounding Denuvo, with ghost stories about screwed up SSDs and performance issues that are complete bullshit?
Maybe it did cause problems at some point, but not for Sonic Mania.
There's virtually no I/O activity during gameplay except for what I assume is saving when you complete a level or enter a bonus stage.

low-G

The game is fucking amazing. Great to finally play it on PC.

Odd because I played it first on my work PC and it worked right out of the box.

Then I switched to my gaming PC tonight and it was using Big Screen overlay (first time I've EVER seen that in > 1000 Steam games!) and the default controller setup for the X1 controller is all broken, they have the d-pad assigned twice, meaning it's completely broken. Had to alter the Big Screen controller settings to get it to work at all.

Gin-Shiio

Bought on PC and cleared it earlier today. It's a good Sonic game, but I don't love everything about it. The bosses are definitely underwhelming, and I'd say aside from two, there aren't any memorable among them.

My classic series rating:
3&K > S2 = Mania > S1 > CD

dlauv

One guy made some complaint about Dragon Age Inq, and a bunch of popular websites ran the story. That gave Denuvo an awful rep.

But it was essentially not true -- or at least not Denuvo's fault, as proven in my following post.

But maybe you're right and there's a story I don't know about.

Titanic Monarch Act 2 really overstays its welcome. Got to a point where I timed out 2x...which tbh is easy cheeseable by respawning from the last checkpoint anyways since time resets. I will give it credit for being unique in terms of level design and new ways to increase momentum and find pathways.

Finished the game, and I have to say, aside from that stupid octo boss, weird deaths happening when it was unwarranted (kept getting the crushed animation when I didn't get crushed, which leads me to believe it might be hitbox issues) and Titanic Monarch Act 2, this is such a fun game to play. Kudos to Taxman and the development team involved with this game.

Celcius

°Temp. member
If this is your first time enabling Steam Input on the controller, you may have to restart Steam and disconnect/reconnect the controller for it to be properly detected:

A lot of people seem to have trouble getting it to work the first time for some reason (possibly having used other software with it before?) but once it's set up and working correctly you shouldn't have any more trouble.
You must have the Steam Overlay enabled for it to work too, and some older overlay software (e.g. GPU stats) may conflict with it.

That seems to fix the problems I've had with switching away from the game to something else and then going back to it, thanks.

There's virtually no I/O activity during gameplay except for what I assume is saving when you complete a level or enter a bonus stage.

Thank you, I was about to give up and play with my keyboard.

xylo

Neo Member
It was like I was on my Genesis again and I was loving every second of it. The game is absolutely fantastic.

However, I am pretty annoyed at the Steam store page not disclosing this game being DRM'd with Denuvo. To those that try and "vote with there wallet", not fully disclosing this until after it was purchased is completely unacceptable and highly deceptive. It very sad to see this fantastic game's launch be marred needlessly in this way.

Sega, you must do better.

RagnarokX

If stage transitions aren't being patched in I'd be curious to know what they were supposed to be, but my guesses are as follows:

FBZ -> PGZ
Knocks off the door of FBZ and snowboards down a hill and crashes into PGZ like the Sonic 3 thing was intended to be before FBZ was moved.

SSZ -> HCZ
Eggman uses Phantom Ruby to turn the stage upsidedown and Sonic falls off of Little Planet onto Angel Island below.

HCZ -> MSZ
Sonic gets sucked into the tunnel below the boss arena and when you go to the right you see Knuckles standing next to a button and grinning like in HCZ act 2, but when he hops on it it opens the door infront of him instead of knocking you below and he waves you to follow him to the Tornado, which is docked there. If you're knuckles you just walk through the wall and Tails and Sonic are already with the plane and you hop off and take off towards what used to be Sandopolis Zone. (I think a subversion of the Knuckles traps would be an amazing justification for Knuckles showing up again only to get knocked off)

OOZ -> LRZ
Get on a sub, ride it to LRZ.

LRZ -> MMZ
As Sonic and Tails, hop on a Rocket that takes off behind where you fight Heavy Rider.

MMZ -> TMZ
Phantom Ruby turns the Eggman Statue from SSZ into the Titanic Monarch. Hop on one of those WWZ rocket platform things they use all over TMZ to get over to it.

Those are just my best guesses. Not really trying to come up with ideas, just trying to figure out what was probably removed based on what would make sense in relation to this game and the old ones.
Stardust Speedway doesn't need to turn upsidedown. It's on Little Planet, they just need to get knocked into the air past Little Planet's gravitational field and they'll fall onto Angel Island.

They go through Hydrocity Zone backwards (the background of Act 1 is the background of Act 2 in S3&K and the background of Act 2 is the background of Act 1 in S3&K and the bosses are reversed. So the end of Hydrocity in Mania should lead to Angel Island Zone, which is where Tails left the Tornado in the intro.

The rocket isn't behind Heavy Rider; you fight Heavy Rider on top of the rocket. I imagine the original idea was for you to have a boss fight while the rocket was shooting up to Little Planet.

Another thing they need to address is how Heavy King became the way he was at the end and turned against Eggman.

Just played on steam tonight!

Great game!

So I unlocked some old sonic moves.. But they don't seem to work.. Bug in the game, or do they only work in a new save file?

Colby

Do we know if the separate Super button can also turn off a Super transformation? One of the amazing things about Sonic 3 Complete was that you could go back and forth from Super form and regular form. There are long periods of time in some areas of Mania where being in Super form is just a huge waste of rings. Also, in S3C, the level music still played when you are in Super form.

I think the separate button is the most pressing fix needed, but being able to switch between forms whenever you want to, and being able to listen to the amazing level music while in Super form would be incredible.

senahorse

Are there any downsides to getting the Switch version over the PS4/X1/PC? Assuming I don't care about achievements or trophies. I guess what I am looking for is if there are any performance or other issues unique to the Switch.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Do we know if the separate Super button can also turn off a Super transformation? One of the amazing things about Sonic 3 Complete was that you could go back and forth from Super form and regular form. There are long periods of time in some areas of Mania where being in Super form is just a huge waste of rings. Also, in S3C, the level music still played when you are in Super form.

I think the separate button is the most pressing fix needed, but being able to switch between forms whenever you want to, and being able to listen to the amazing level music while in Super form would be incredible.

You can't turn it off.

And I don't really mind that. Having some sort of consequence for using the power-up is fine.

Are there any downsides to getting the Switch version over the PS4/X1/PC? Assuming I don't care about achievements or trophies. I guess what I am looking for is if there are any performance or other issues unique to the Switch.

Literally the only performance hitch I've noticed on Switch is a framerate drop during the opening seconds of the first special stage. If there are any other issues, then they're not obvious enough for me to notice them.

The game does support 4K resolution on PS4 Pro (and probably PC), if you happen to have a 4K screen and really value proper upscaling.

Just played on steam tonight!

Great game!

So I unlocked some old sonic moves.. But they don't seem to work.. Bug in the game, or do they only work in a new save file?
You can only activate those in a "No Save" game. Make sure to toggle them on in the Secrets menu that becomes available.

I'd go as far as saying that there's no reason to buy the game on any other console if you have a Switch (unless you want to double dip). Unless you want to play with a traditional d-pad, but the Switch one is pretty good with this game and theres third party controllers

senahorse

I'd go as far as saying that there's no reason to buy the game on any other console if you have a Switch (unless you want to double dip). Unless you want to play with a traditional d-pad, but the Switch one is pretty good with this game and theres third party controllers

Literally the only performance hitch I've noticed on Switch is a framerate drop during the opening seconds of the first special stage. If there are any other issues, then they're not obvious enough for me to notice them.

The game does support 4K resolution on PS4 Pro (and probably PC), if you happen to have a 4K screen and really value proper upscaling.

Thanks guys, Switch it is with a double dip on PC if I really like it.

Saikyo

Trophies?

Unknown?

I'd say the PS4 is better for it. Friends who don't own it can play it online with you via share play, it's still portable if you have an android phone, tablet, or windows laptop, and a much better d-pad. Switch is a good choice too though.

Top Bottom