• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania |OT| Dreams Come True

Just made it to
Oil Ocean. This game is spectacular!

Green Hill was nicely remixed; loved the boss!

Chemical Plant was impressive; loved the syringe gimmick in Act 2. And of course, amazing boss!

Studiopolis was great; such a nice setting! Heavy Gunner had some nice personality in his animations, and Egg Weather Report was an interesting concept!

Flying Battery was another good remix; incorporating Wing Fortress was smart!

Press Garden was an interesting setting; the Miniboss was okay, and Heavy Shinobi was a blast!

STARDUST SPEEDWAY WAS INCREDIBLE. The music, the gimmicks, everything. And that Metal Sonic fight was fantastic! Loved the remix he got, and I was glad to see lil old Tin Sonic show up!

Hydrocity and I don't really get along, but the Mania version was much more tolerable.

Mirage Saloon was fun, but I don't particularly care for the Sky Chase gameplay. Heavy Magician transforming into Team Hooligan was fun, I just wish they were a bigger threat...

STARDUST SPEEDWAY WAS INCREDIBLE. The music, the gimmicks, everything. And that Metal Sonic fight was fantastic! Loved the remix he got, and I was glad to see lil old Tin Sonic show up!

I was basically squealing through this whole level. My wife did not understand why.

At the start of this thread, I was thinking, "What spoilers could there possibly be? This is a Sonic game?" And I was so wrong!

Can't help but think the Saturn deserved something like this.

EDIT: Removed a sentence fragment from the quote.

The collector's edition box is way bigger than I expected.

I just finished my first playthrough with Sonic & Tails with all 7 emeralds. This game is magnificent. Hopefully this game sells enough that we will get another 2D Sonic game by the Mania team. The soundtrack is phenomenal that as soon as it's available for purchase on itunes or something, I'm buying it. And there were so many surprises like
a few cameos like Fang
. I can see myself playing this game over and over again, and not getting tired of it. If Sega announced DLC stages, or a season pass, this will be the first game in a long time that I will buy the DLC in heartbeat. Good job to everyone that worked on this.

Neiteio

I keep drowning in Chemical Plant zone. There's a part where you can fall and I see no way to surface I'm time...
Just focus on climbing the moving blocks. For the blocks that rotate in a cross-shaped formation, stay on the outer blocks and jump to the above blocks when they start to shift your way. You'll reach the top in time for air, and there seems to be enough time that you can fall once or twice and still make it to the top, and should you fall, the blocks seem to spread out to likely catch you as you fall.

Just started and I'm getting massive slowdown on a Xbox One S. It becomes even more unplayable when I get a notification. Is it because I have the preview dash or is the game just this bad? Isn't it supposed to be 60fps instead of 6 fps? Seems awesome besides that...

ckaneo

Just started and I'm getting massive slowdown on a Xbox One S. It becomes even more unplayable when I get a notification. Is it because I have the preview dash or is the game just this bad? Isn't it supposed to be 60fps instead of 6 fps? Seems awesome besides that...

From my understanding the game has problems interacting with the OS of the consoles. So I guess turn all that stuff off if you can as it seems to be rock solid 60fps for everyone else

No. Some parts are easier some parts harder. Just different.

Although there were very few falling areas in this game so I think he's just harder

What are his disadvantages? Doesn't he have all of Sonic's kit plus the gliding and climbing?

Please excuse the noob questions. My Genesis days are long past...

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Collected all emeralds and saw the real ending. Now I need just to complete the special stages in the checkpoints.

Item Box

Thought I saw everything this game had to offer after clearing it with sonic + tails until I played
mirage saloon as knuckles
, goddamn

Act 1
alone is worth a second play through and is now my favorite of the bunch

How do you play sonic tails co-op my son wants to play as tails and I can't figure it out.

When starting a new file, pick the icon with both Sonic and Tails' faces (which should be the default one). Player 1's controller is Sonic and player 2 will be Tails. Just have your son pick up the second controller and do anything during gameplay and they'll control Tails.

So should I buy this?

Absolutely. I honestly believe this is one of my top-five games this year. It is a legitimately, no-qualifiers EXCELLENT game.

ckaneo

How do you play sonic tails co-op my son wants to play as tails and I can't figure it out.

What console are you using? If it's switch you have to make sure that it's registered as individual as joycons on the switch home menu and then enter the game.

Otherwise just make sure two controllers are on and pick the sonic+tails icon in mania mode

I can't stress how much I LOVE this OST!

Hi-Spec Robo Go! is gonna be burned into my brain forever; so catchy!

Tabloid Jargon, Press Garden's music, is so fitting to its theme, as are Lights, Camera, Action! (Studiopolis) and Rogue's Gallery (Mirage Saloon).

I also appreciate the different boss themes on offer, like the Miniboss theme and especially the remix of Satan's Theme for Mean Bean Machine!

KalBalboa

Banned
Alright, sold. I needed a little push. I finished all three Crash games in the PS4 remake this month, time to get my 2D platforming on.

Ristifer

They did it. They put in my favourite zone out of (probably) the entire series:
Oil Ocean Zone

You beautiful bastards. I was begging for this to be included. And it's there. Also,
Press Garden Zone
Act 2 is phenomenal. That music, those
Ice Cap callbacks, needing to actually freeze yourself in certain instances
... Jesus. What a game.

GOD, everything about
Metallic Madness
is sooooo good. That soundtrack!!! That
Sonic 1 final boss homage at the end of Act 1!

I adore this beautiful, glorious game.

Kinsei

Banned
GOD, everything about
Metallic Madness
is sooooo good. That soundtrack!!! That
Sonic 1 final boss homage at the end of Act!

I adore this beautiful, glorious game.

It really is amazing.
I never thought I'd ever say that about a zone from Sonic CD.

bumpkin

Started playing tonight, all in all, I'm digging it. I got to
Studiopolis Zone and got smoked by the boss. I kept going for jumps on the blue missiles, misjudging my inertia and getting hit. Because you're constantly running, you don't get much chance to recover rings when you get hit. Kind of annoying.

Started playing tonight, all in all, I'm digging it. I got to
Studiopolis Zone and got smoked by the boss. I kept going for jumps on the blue missiles, misjudging my inertia and getting hit. Because you're constantly running, you don't get much chance to recover rings when you get hit. Kind of annoying.

If you're using Sonic, use the Drop Dash liberally. It does wonders against Gunner's blue missiles!

RRockman

Banned
All this game needs is a Scourge The Hedgehog skin for Sonic.

Don't you mean Ashura?
latest

Demoskinos

Is there a good list of all the unlockable modes/ secrets and how to get them yet? Like...I know the game just came out today but also the internet works fast usually.

RK128

Dumb question, but
what's the drop dash?

A new ability exclusive to Sonic. Jump in the air and hold down the jump button again. You hear a reving noise, telling you Sonic's spinning up. Once you land, you pull off a spin-dash, just without charging in place.

A new ability exclusive to Sonic. Jump in the air and hold down the jump button again. You hear a reving noise, telling you Sonic's spinning up. Once you land, you pull off a spin-dash, just without charging in place.

Adding to this: don't release Jump until you hit the ground.

AND I JUST REALIZED SOMETHING:
When you defeat Egg Weather Report, the off-air tone is the infernal beeping from the Anniversary Livestream!

Finished the story with only 3 emeralds. Man, those special stages are hard for me.

But, wow, the game in incredible. Worthy of all the praise it has gotten for sure.

I think they had a good Zone selection. Some of them were very unexpected. Except
Hydrocity
I think most saw that coming. And the new Zones were great, especially
Press Garden
. I'm amazed by that one. It might be my favorite all time Zone. It gives me the same tranquil and mysterious vibes that Hydrocity did back in the day.

Some odd things though, weren't there supposed to be
level transitions from each level? Several levels just kind of fade out and then you're in the next zone.
Is it supposed to be like that?
Could they really not figure out ways to connect them?

Also, the
ability unlocks
. Why are they only available in no save? And another thing that bothers me about those, I know Sonic usually has every button jump, but why couldn't they have had a button for other actions,
allowing use of those other abilities
along with the drop dash? This design choice also ends up making it harder to use tails when you have a shield.

Guess Who

Banned
Is this game completely new, level wise and so on? It's not just a port of the older games? Nevertheless, still loving it.

Many of the level themes are taken from old games, but the layouts range from heavily remixed to brand new with new gimmicks and features. There's also a few entirely new zones.

Kinsei

Banned
Is this game completely new, level wise and so on? It's not just a port of the older games? Nevertheless, still loving it.

There are only 4 totally new zones. That being said the returning zones are remixed enough that they could be considered new levels (although they do share some bits of level design).

Top Bottom