• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania |OT| Dreams Come True

External hard drive?

I started off on external and then moved to internal. I guess I should note that I have an Xbox one Elite with the hybrid drive. I don't think that's the issue as I saw on here someone mentioned notifications and when they pop up the game definitely suffers. Guess I'll turn them off

KingBroly

Banned
I didn't like
Press Garden Zone at all.
I just found myself
confused as to where I was going most of the time, unfortunately. Act 1's boss was terrible. 2's was okay,
but a bit rough in my opinion.

I still really want the Sphere stages to be slowed down, or at least the escalation of speed to be slowed down. The stages are long, and reaching top speed about 30-40% into the stage really makes you lose your coordination fast.

Shadic7700

Titanic Monarch Act 2 has to be the worst designed level in the entire Sonic series. Holy shit on a stick.
Ehh the music was awesome but it was a bit long I was actually expecting this to be the second to last zone but I still don't have all the emeralds so I got the normal end.

Finished the game earlier today.

Anybody who likes Sonic even a little bit or wants to like Sonic again would have to be crazy to not get this. IMO it's easily the second best 2D Sonic after S3&K. Pretty amazing.
HydroCity
Flying Battery
, and
Lava Reef
are my favorite zones from S3&K so I kinda want to give the game a 10/10 just for that, heh.
Oil Ocean
I've always found underrated, too.

Really my only gripe is that I wish there was more to the bonus stages. I like blue spheres but in S3&K there was three bonus stages and the purpose of them was to get 1-ups and shields.

They probably could've scaled down some of the levels, too. It's impressive how much they were able to put in but sometimes it borders on ridiculous.

goldenpp72

Ehh the music was awesome but it was a bit long I was actually expecting this to be the second to last zone but I still don't have all the emeralds so I got the normal end.

I didn't mind the level, what was so bad about it? It was a bit challenging but, I mean it should be.

blanco21

Why are the new assets so oddly flat looking? Off the top of my head - the Studiopolis truck,
Titantic Monarchs purple energy balls, Point Garden's everything
. There's other stuff as well but I'm drawing a blank

Same thing with the leaked CD boss that didn't make it into the remaster. Looks weird
320px-FinalFever_CW.jpg

Shadic7700

I didn't mind the level, what was so bad about it? It was a bit challenging but, I mean it should be.
I actually like it too it's just a bit long and doesn't have the gravity of a final stage like death egg plus the boss is kinda boring minus the fact you can
fight the hard boiled heavies
decent stage not final stage material ya know?

I just got the reference of the OT title. So good!

My PC Collectors Edition just came in, and I'm really looking forward to replaying the game with a legit Genesis controller.

Guess Who

Banned
So whose's idea was it to have poisonous fire air?

I want to know so I can slap them.

I didn't have much trouble with it, but I thought it was pretty, er, brave of them to
ape Sandopolis Act 2's ghosts/pulley mechanic for OOZ2
considering how much people disliked it in the original game.

RomanceDawn

Anyone try time trials? I'm so glad this has leader boards! It's exactly what I wanted plus it's divided by character!

Some people blaze through so fast and I have no idea how. I wish it was like Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze though, in that game you can watch peoples T.T. run through to see exactly how they did what they did.

goldenpp72

I actually like it too it's just a bit long and doesn't have the gravity of a final stage like death egg plus the boss is kinda boring minus the fact you can
fight the hard boiled heavies
decent stage not final stage material ya know?

Yeah it definitely doesn't have an 'end game' kind of feeling, though the music for the last boss was kick ass I thought and it was a bit tricky. honestly the only thing I didn't like about the fight was the art of the hands that grab you, it looked very fan made to me.

I have a lot of opinions about Sonic mania, but it was a fantastic game. It definitely could use more professional polish in some ways no doubt, but I would at least put it above ANY single genesis release, only maybe losing to 3 and knuckles locked on, but even that i'm not entirely sure so far.

I think in the end, Sonic Mania might go down as my second favorite 2d sonic experience, but that's far beyond what was reasonable to expect anyways.

I didn’t have much trouble with it, but I thought it was pretty, er, brave of them to
ape Sandopolis Act 2’s ghosts/pulley mechanic for OOZ2
considering how much people disliked it in the original game,
The worst part of that game game I hated that place. Its like they did this to piss me off specifically.

I didn’t have much trouble with it, but I thought it was pretty, er, brave of them to

I don't know, I was fine with it.

During Act 1: "Man fuck Oil Ocean." Act 2: "You're right Sonic Mania, it COULD'VE been Sandopolis, thanks for that."

ckaneo

Thought that level was easy outside of the boss.

J@hranimo

Banned
I feel like the only person on this forum that really liked what they did to
Hydrocity Zone.

Act 1 is in fact the one more switched up than Act 2, which was interesting that they seemed to have done that. I also bet they saw it as an opportunity to bring some elements from other zones with that same trope from other games and incorporate it here, since this is the best level of this trope in the franchise.

Act 2 is still very fast with some tweaks here and there. Overall a fun ride, especially the bosses. One of my favs in the game.

Why are the new assets so oddly flat looking? Off the top of my head - the Studiopolis truck,
Titantic Monarchs purple energy balls, Point Garden's everything
. There's other stuff as well but I'm drawing a blank

Same thing with the leaked CD boss that didn't make it into the remaster. Looks weird
320px-FinalFever_CW.jpg

Oh i just realized the eggman building in the background of the metal sonic fight looks just like that

Arkeband

Banned
Thought that level was easy outside of the boss.

The boss just requires you to be very patient, as getting in some sneaky extra hits usually ends up with you getting combo'd and instantly crushed or killed.

You also sink way too fast after being hit, it feels like they need to let you sink a little further before killing you.

Oil Ocean
definitely isn't one of my favorite zones in this game but I still quite liked it. Shame that is seems like it'll be a bit of an outlier when compared to the rest of the zones
(besides maybe the final one).

Fushin

Titanic Monarch Act 2 Spoiler

Was a little let down with the final boss only having one real stage. Was hoping for a little bit more, a little bit too easy.

Wow that last stage is a major flop. I think that's the worst in the game. Felt like I was just on autoplay for a huge chunk of it.

Time to get the rest of the emeralds and see how the true ending plays out.

Nia

I lost it when Robotnik challenged me to
Mean Bean Machine. Historically I suck at those kinds of games, so I was sweating. I managed to beat him though.

This game is delivering on all fronts so far. I love it.

Neoxon

I was finally able to get all 7 Chaos Emeralds......before the end of Chemical Plant Zone - Act 1.

DHZQ_IgUQAEfAch

• 2 from Green Hill Zone - Act 1
  • 3 from Green Hill Zone - Act 2
  • 2 from Chemical Plant Zone - Act 1

Hardest boss for people?

Spoilers:

For me, it's a tie between the Eggman Spider in Flying Battery Zone and Robo-Sonic with his spawning mini-Sonics. Two bosses that just felt real real bad.

goldenpp72

Hardest boss for people?

Spoilers:

For me, it's a tie between the Eggman Spider in Flying Battery Zone and Robo-Sonic with his spawning mini-Sonics. Two bosses that just felt real real bad.

There is definitely a logic for the spider boss that works, people are just bad with visual cues sometimes.

Lichter

I'm playing the game on Switch, it's beautiful, great level design, it's so dense that I'd have to replay the levels many times in order to see everything.

Finally a good Sonic game.

The only reason the spider boss was hard for me is because I thought you had to time your spinning attacks from the poles by looking at the animation for your character and I kept flying in the wrong direction. When all you have to do is push the d-pad in the direction you want to go. Yeah, I'm dumb.

Top Bottom