• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania |OT| Dreams Come True

Still don't understand how the
&knuckles
mode works.

I start a new no save file and the mode is set to on. Then I select Sonic and nothing happens, I just start playing with sonic alone as you would expect. Same with the other characters.

What am I doing wrong? Do I need to beat the game first in order to use it?

It's pretty much sonic and knuckles instead of tails.

Zone ranking time leggoooo

You mad man, now I've got to try and match you! but I kinda need to play through them more to narrow down my thoughts.
That said I can agree with the top choice.

I guess we're gonna be stardust bros huh? So Sonic CD has aesthetics I love combined with some, shall we say, less than stellar level design. As such the original brass roads and funky tunes of SS were rather shortlived.
But now it's back, bringing the ridiculous sense of speed into a more structured level. Of course the DKC mark in me appreciates that they modified the spring doodads to be like bootleg barrel cannons (not to be confused with the auto ones from oil ocean). You know what's dope as heck? the use of CD's releasing flower seeds thing becoming a full fledged mechanic. They also brought in stuff from Marble Garden but stopped short of those spinning tops because they remembered that shit was dumb, pulleys are all ya need.
Metal Sonic gets a pretty robust encounter, and there's something about that giant Eggman statue from CD now modelled in low poly 3D that I get a kick out of.

While I'm musing over here...
Regarding
Lava Reef
Zone,
it sort of hit me as I played this take on the zone that it's like "what if we did Marble Zone, and it didn't suck?", combine that with the definitive take on my favourite classic Sonic theme in Act 1 and hoo boy, this zone stepped up for part 1.
Part 2 is a fine stage as well (shout out to my boy Quartz Quadrant here) but it can't compete with the 3&Knuckles spectacle finale.

13ruce

Banned
Ugh. I don't want to play as Knuckles or Tails. :'(

Knuckles is fun different play style and still nice to play as and got some unique content in his run.

Tails is kinda easy mode but a different play style too.

Otherwise just replay as Sonic again? Stages have lots of things to learn to perfect your runs/timings etc. Game is highly replayable. And fuckin around as super sonic is fun too.

Sami+

Definitely don't agree with TMZ being one of the worst zones. I thought the overall concept and gimmick were a lot of fun, and loved the music/aesthetics. 🤷

Honestly there's not a single zone in the game I thought was a dud. Even
OOZ
was fucking rad because of the new concepts they added to it, and I hated that level in Sonic 2. Also because Sonic 2 has some seriously bullshit enemy layouts though and I don't really like it that much compared to the others.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Its only sin to me is that it's just a marathon slog of a stage.

You know it's long in the tooth when they reset the timer for the boss.

That's what pisses me off about that zone, the developers knew that the zone was long but instead of cutting out the bloat, they just kept it and have it reset the timer for the boss.

I dont mind the length but the orb gimmick is the shits. Sooo slow and its so heavy trying to move around on it -_-

Agreed, I really hate the orbs and hence why I felt that the two time up I got were not my fault as I had to deal with the crappy orbs which are slow and frustrating to use.

Sami+

Best zone gimmicks in the whole game were
MMZ's - tiny Sonic and Tails and jumping into the background
!! LOVED it. Possibly my favorite zone. But I also fucking adored
OOZ... and HCZ... AND FBZ...
fuck man it's so hard to pick a favorite. 😭😭

Sciz

The glowing spheres making a comeback is the one single thing I love about TMZ. Just... would've rather seen them thrown into a DEZ revamp where they'd fit the gravity gimmick theme.

best ending

I mean yeah, but we got Youtube for cutscenes.

13ruce

Banned
Best zone gimmicks in the whole game were
MMZ's - tiny Sonic and Tails and jumping into the background
!! LOVED it. Possibly my favorite zone. But I also fucking adored
OOZ... and HCZ... AND FBZ...
fuck man it's so hard to pick a favorite. 😭😭

That boss
as tiny sonic etc
is god tier.
Played CD last day and that
tiny
mechanic is in there too.

Sanjuro

What do you have against Tails, you animal!?

I bet Drew Bledsoe's favorite character is Tails

I saw some drawings of him on the internet and I hated his Game Gear game!

Nope. All unlocks are via Blue Sphere

SlO42iC.png

Just finished my first run. What a great game full of so much love, was smileing at every moment. Gotta go trough again to try to get the emeralds since I only managed to find one.

Finalizer

Incidentally, Sonic 2 HD's art lead was also the art director on Mania!

Is there somewhere I can see the breakdown of what all the Pagoda West dudes worked on previously? Most I've heard is about how most (all?) of them have some history with the Sonic 2 HD Project (from Cybershell's vid), but haven't seen anything more specific than that.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
that feeling when you're one sphere short of a perfect, but a miscalculation makes it so you hit the red sphere you just made appear, losing your perfect.....

...& then losing because after getting the final rings, you have to run backwards & can't judge when you'll hit a red sphere after jumping over bumpers

fernoca

My CE arrived...and damn!
I expected the statue to be like size of a big Skylander, something to put on my desk.

Now I read it is 12 inches... XD

Kinsei

Banned
I saw some drawings of him on the internet and I hated his Game Gear game!

SlO42iC.png

Which one? The crappy autoscrolling flight game or the (IMO) surprisingly fun adventure game?

Any help for someone who is colourblind?
Chemical plant boss is literally impossible for me to beat.
Sucks big time.

Match by shape instead of color.

It sucks they didn't include any options to make things easier for colorblind people.

Sami+

That boss
as tiny sonic etc
is god tier.
Played CD last day and that
tiny
mechanic is in there too.

It does! I love CD, second favorite behind 3K, was really happy to see that mechanic again. :)

That's what pisses me off about that zone, the developers knew that the zone was long but instead of cutting out the bloat, they just kept it and have it reset the timer for the boss.

Agreed, I really hate the orbs and hence why I felt that the two time up I got were not my fault as I had to deal with the crappy orbs which are slow and frustrating to use.

I've seen a lot of people saying this but idk, I finished my first try (with plenty of fuck ups) at like 8 and a half minutes and I'm hardly good at the game. The stages I timed out on were
Flying Battery and Hydrocity
. 🤷

13ruce

Banned
Any help for someone who is colourblind?
Chemical plant boss is literally impossible for me to beat.
Sucks big time.

Wow that indeed sucks, have you tried putting
those beans sideways and slowly build to the top that way by filling all spaces slowly, eggman is pretty bad at it so you might win that way.

Still there should have been a colourblind option in the game for cases like this.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Uuuhhhh, glitch on the 5th zone. I guess I got two 1ups in a row, because now the music's gone completely.

Though it seems doing a blue sphere stage fixed it.

Which one? The crappy autoscrolling flight game or the (IMO) surprisingly fun adventure game?

Match by shape instead of color.

It sucks they didn't include any options to make things easier for colorblind people.

Wow that indeed sucks, have you tried putting
those beans sideways and slowly build to the top that way, eggman is pretty bad at it so you might win that way.

Still there should have been a colourblind option in the game for cases like this.

Thanks for the tips but I've tried for ages, seems impossible for me.
Did a google search and i'm not alone but not many results.
Guess there aren't many colourblind people playing the game.
It's absolutely killed the game for me. I might ask nintendo for a refund, is this possible?

13ruce

Banned
Uuuhhhh, glitch on the 5th zone. I guess I got two 1ups in a row, because now the music's gone completely.

Yeah that is one bug i hope gets fixed soon, when multiple sound effects happen the music bugs out sometimes.

Awkward silence while playing after:p

Now that I've beaten this game, I really feel like this game is in the running for my favorite Sonic game of all time.

It was really, really fun. Like more fun than I've had with a video game in awhile. Maybe Zelda BotW came close to the same feeling, but this game hits me right in the nostalgia more than Zelda did, so it's a different feeling.

I hope these guys make more 2D Sonic games in the near future. They're very good at replicating the same level design and stuff that made the originals great.

Oh yeah have I mentioned that this version of the
Final of Puyo Puyo
theme is so dang catchy?

I needed my YEEEHHAAWWW to really seal the deal though.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
At the final level. An overall great game, but I still find Sonic 1 and 2 to be better. But Mania stands fine alongside 3 & Knuckles as one of the best games in the series.

Just too bad the final level in Mania has Sonic CD levels of awful level design.

Thanks for the tips but I've tried for ages, seems impossible for me.
Did a google search and i'm not alone but not many results.
Guess there aren't many colourblind people playing the game.
It's absolutely killed the game for me. I might ask nintendo for a refund, is this possible?
Anyone nearby you can enlist for help, maybe?

(Seems like something they could find a way to patch, too...)

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
5th zone completed. Once again, rather easy boss, though props for including
those damn seastar enemies from Metropolis Zone in Sonic 2

OMG THAT SCENE TRANSITION. Is it.....YUP!! Stardust Speedway! Cannot wait to see what the boss fight is for that.

I'd love a Sonic game that tried to replicate the art style of Mania's opening and looked similar to the Wonder Boy Dragon's Trap remake or Shantae 1/2 Genie Hero. I imagine this would take way too many resources to pull off, though.

Do you know how livid I'd be if SEGA let the Mania team go full on Sonic 3 & Knuckles Remake in the vein of DotEmu's Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap?

Sonic 3 & Knuckles with Tyson Hesse art style and Tee Lopes music covers?

And also playable Amy

The Sum of Zero

Gold Member
5th zone completed. Once again, rather easy boss, though props for including
those damn seastar enemies from Metropolis Zone in Sonic 2

OMG THAT SCENE TRANSITION. Is it.....YUP!! Stardust Speedway! Cannot wait to see what the boss fight is for that.

Post after you see the Act 2 transition :)

13ruce

Banned
I hope the guys behind this game get to make Mania 2 or Sonic 5 (Mania is real Sonic 4 imo fuck that mobile game).

They deserve to make more classic like games and if they ever can do something like Shantae 1/2 Hero or that Wonderboy game then OMG.

Top Bottom