• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

How so? I must have missed that; did they say something?

After showing the Yoshi Zone, Iwata turned back to the second stage and said "for now I can only offer you a hint: fans will be able to link their system to the Wii U eShop to download this DLC early next year as well."

Dario ff

Banned
Apparently the download for the DLC was only like 30 MB. Can anyone confirm that size? It could probably fit inside of that with some compression work, but with how these games are normally structured and the amount of new assets... I wouldn't be surprised if this was on-disc DLC. There's just too much new stuff to fit in that.

I'll never know until we can open up the game I guess.

That Yoshi stage bugs me for its use of Story visuals style and Island music, it's like if I were playing through Angel Island with Green Hill Zone music, you know it just ain't right.

Nothing much to say about the stage itself, incredibly basic and challenge free 2D platforming with coins replacing rings and red rings replaced by the perpetually cheerful flowers.
I never really got the point of the eggs, I couldn't seem to throw them so do they just exist to hatch at the goal ring? knowing Lost World they probably just didn't tell me shit.

Of course all is forgiven to hear Sonic's music team tackle Yoshi's Island Flower Garden theme (oh golly gosh if they had done Athletic/Obstacle Course instead) and the underrated stage clear theme. I do not like kicking Shyguy's in the face, the poor little blighters.

In a way a Yoshi tribute in Lost world seems fitting, the confused game of inconsistency collides with Nintendo's own inconsistent platforming series, both series peaking back in the 16 bit days and being all over the place ever since, what a match they are.
Between this and one of the dream events in Sonic & Mario at the London Olympics I think someone at Sega really likes the visual style of Story with the denim backdrop in particular.

Sciz

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #83
By Request!

Song: Knuckles' Theme (S&K)
Game: Sonic the Hedgehog 3 / Sonic & Knuckles
Composer: Someone on Michael Jackson's crew / Howard Drossin

Doubling up today, since neither of these are long or notable enough to stand on their own. Not sure which one I like better; the Sonic 3 version is a great beat and suits Knuckles as being a right bastard, but that's all it is, and there's a reason why it also got mixed into an actual song. Drossin's take suits Knuckles as being the last remnants of a lost civilization, but it doesn't quite fit with the rest of the game's music.

TheOGB

Banned
SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #83
By Request!

Song: Knuckles' Theme (S&K)
Game: Sonic the Hedgehog 3 / Sonic & Knuckles
Composer: Someone on Michael Jackson's crew / Howard Drossin
Here I come, rougher than the--wait a minute

I just beat A Link to the Past for the first time. It was a lot of fun. I'm glad I enjoyed it, because I am really eager to finally start A Link Between Worlds. But first, a brawler break. Anarchy Reigns has been calling my name.

Anth0ny

I kinda want to get a copy of Sonic 06 sometime just to experience it for myself.

I do too. Of course, I also still want to get Unleashed as well.

Sonic 06 is the main reason I want my 360 back from my mom's house. Over Bioshock Infinite, over Revengeance, I have my PS3 and my WiiU but I'm always thinking "hell, I want to beat that fucking game".

IIRC I got stuck in a ruin level with Sonic, I always ALWAYS got lost.

We have now come to the point where we actually want to play Sonic 06 for enjoyment.

This is it. This is how it ends.

muahahahahahaha

have fun people... it's an experience.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The Theatrhythm: Curtain Call demo is... uh, Theatrhythm, I guess. You can now use the face buttons and the D-pad/circle pad in order to hit notes. I will warn that using the D-Pad/Circle Pad is complete hell on FMS (the field music stages), so it's best to stick with the stylus on that one.

The demo has its share of Lightning and Lightning Returns, which is no surprise. You have Lightning as the lead of your party, the demo's tutorial screen shows the Lightning Returns page for the tracks listed, and you start off on the LR page. You have access to three songs with all three difficulties (plus a practice mode + watch the game play itself mode): Seymour Battle from FFX (unremixed, btw, which is hilarious), Crimson Blitz from Lightning Returns Final Fantasy XIII, and Serene Forest from Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn. The characters you're dealt are Lightning (in her LR outfit), Tidus, Yuna (in her FFX-2 Gunner outfit), and Y’shtola (from FFXIV).

It's... still Theatrhythm? I like Theatrhythm, but you know my misgivings about it. The characters don't say anything witty or funny before proceeding into the stage (they just have facial expressions), and I think that's beneficial. There was no EMS stage (that one stage where you play the songs and you watch CG) so yeah.

Why they chose the songs they did for the demo is beyond me since there are much better tracks from each soundtrack, but ok. Still funny that they chose the Seymour Battle theme even though that was in the last game.

I read Blaze's impressions of the Yoshi's Island Story DLC. Eh. It's probably not something I'd pop Lost World in for again.

I watched Blaze play it. It's... different.

(I stand by what I said. MMX4 > MMX[1].)

I too watched Blaze's soul be crushed when he jumped into that last Shy Guy.

The thing that bugs me about the DLC is we've gotten long speeches in the past, "Oh, we can't just stick Sonic and Mario together, they're so different, we need some kind of common ground," and then here we get Sonic directly jammed into Yoshi's Story, and later on something to do with Legend of Zelda. Maybe it does justify their point given how weird it seems (but I'm not so sure about that), but it bugs me that suddenly now it's perfectly fine to do.

Nert

Hey, Sonic people! I'm stopping by again to let you all know that the next soundtrack of the year voting thread will be going up tomorrow night. After receiving some inspiration by lurking in this thread and reading Sciz's daily music posts, I'm going to attempt to provide a write-up of a different soundtrack for each day that the topic is open.

Lost World's "Sea Bottom Segue" is definitely in the running for my personal song of the year, too.

After showing the Yoshi Zone, Iwata turned back to the second stage and said "for now I can only offer you a hint: fans will be able to link their system to the Wii U eShop to download this DLC early next year as well."

There's also this "hint" artwork:

DhT3ABe.png

Check out the logo emblazoned on the wall behind Sonic.

TheOGB

Banned
My efficiency in Candy Crush went up by at least 60%* while listening to Sugar Lane. Coincidence? Probably not!

I've got to stop pausing A Link Between Worlds to make stupid Miiverse posts and text my friend

I'm not actually measuring my efficency in Candy Crush, as I don't know how I would do so and I don't care to know

Check out the logo emblazoned on the wall behind Sonic.
Sneaky. I didn't even notice. But the "link" line was obvious enough, so *shrug*

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I wonder which perspective the Zelda DLC would be, though. Top-down wouldn't be... well, it'd strike me as slower level design.

Watching Blaze's Yoshi's Story in Sonic's Lost world DLC archive. It seems neat, it's just... interesting how Sonic's being used as an advertising vehicle for Nintendo in a certain respect. Azure Dream definitely has a point. Kinda weird. But it's free, so I guess I'll rescind my original intent to not try it and try it when my week isn't super crazy and a pain in the rear.

Someone asked me what my second favourite series behind Suikoden was and I don't have a clue. >.>

Hey, Sonic people! I'm stopping by again to let you all know that the next soundtrack of the year voting thread will be going up tomorrow night. After receiving some inspiration by lurking in this thread and reading Sciz's daily music posts, I'm going to attempt to provide a write-up of a different soundtrack for each day that the topic is open.

Lost World's "Sea Bottom Segue" is definitely in the running for my personal song of the year, too.
I more than likely will be voting at the end much like I did last year, lol. I still have stuff to listen to. I recently listened to Device 6's soundtrack and liked it a lot.

Edit: Also, Nert, that sounds like a lot of work. Haha. You would have to plan it out in advance in that case if you want to be thorough.

Sciz

After receiving some inspiration by lurking in this thread and reading Sciz's daily music posts, I'm going to attempt to provide a write-up of a different soundtrack for each day that the topic is open.

Heh. Always happy to hear that people are at least reading and listening to those. I suggest planning out what you're going to talk about several days in advance; adding selection time to the process every day builds up fast.

http://i.imgur.com/DhT3ABe.png[IMG]

Check out the logo emblazoned on the wall behind Sonic.[/QUOTE]

At long last

Palmtree Panic returns

Anth0ny

Aaaaaaaaand I'm done exams. What a relief.

Now GOTY season truly begins for me. I plan to beat/100% the following games over the break:

-Link Between Worlds
-Super Mario 3D World
-GTA V
-The Last of Us
-Bioshock Infinite

Yeah. This is gonna be something else...

Jumping into Bioshock now ^_^

it's just... interesting how Sonic's being used as an advertising vehicle for Nintendo in a certain respect.

I actually wondered if it wasn't the other way around. Lost World is performing below par, maybe these Nintendo themed stages were a way to try and convince general Nintendo fans to try the game out, an attempt to push the game and salvage the partnership.

Razzer

Will be fun participating in my first one of these. Also, whilst I haven't played Lost World yet, this is certainly my favourite tune from the game. Feels DKCesque at times.

Edit: Just started trying to write my GOTY list. Getting thoughts down onto a page in an articulate way is hard man.

That makes two of us on the last point.
Attempting to write up something for EVERY soundtrack each day is a tall order, if you're mad enough to do it I wont stop you but if it gets too much just follow Sciz's example further and do one song per day.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Attempting to write up something for EVERY soundtrack each day is a tall order, if you're mad enough to do it I wont stop you but if it gets too much just follow Sciz's example further and do one song per day.
I've started to contemplate doing that (ie: short writeup + song selection), just because I glanced at my shortlist and, uh, it's... long and subject to change if I find anything else from Nert's, Ghaleon's or others' lists.

I had to make two new Awards categories this year: Fan Arrange Album and [Official] Arrange Album. I usually do short writeups for those "awards" in my vote-proper, so I'll hold off on writing them for now (I usually include runners up). But all of those are awards are decided and now set in stone. They have been for a while until I listened to one arranged album yesterday and decided to split the category into two. In any case, writing all of this stuff up takes a long time. I generally do it before I fall asleep, so it is a little like work. Only they're essays I want to write instead of essays forced on me. :V

In fact, I might just work on it this weekend since I won't be home again and it's going to have freezing rain and stuff here.

I'm still doing LTTP soundtracks this year, too. That was super-fun to do since I wasn't obligated to do it. I just like how much free-reign I have in the soundtrack thread as opposed to the GotY thread in terms of formatting.

I actually wondered if it wasn't the other way around. Lost World is performing below par, maybe these Nintendo themed stages were a way to try and convince general Nintendo fans to try the game out, an attempt to push the game and salvage the partnership.
You know, that's a good inverse way of looking at it, too. The DLC is free, too, so who knows.

AniHawk

i wanted to write something up for 3d world and tearaway for a 'review' but i think i'll save initial impressions for timetokill's goty thread. as it stands those two are definitely in, alongside rayman legends, pikmin 3, new super luigi u, fire emblem, the last of us, and not sonic. never sonic.

there are some good games that i enjoyed that i probably won't put on the list, like gta v, bit.trip runner 2 and nes remix (so far the latter two have been neat little surprises). as i reflect on it later in the year, i am thinking that the last of us is probably going to be lower on the list than it would have been after it came out. so three remaining slots and unless it's secretly dull, one will probably go to a link between worlds. then there's also the wonderful 101 to start and finish, and maybe even ys if i manage to squeeze it in.

i tried out papers, please last night and i got really good at it. i like it for being a very different kind of game. after being exposed to the argument for nonspatial games that chris crawford pushed in the 80s and afterwards, this feels like a very basic version of something he was discussing (although he pushed more for conversations and interactions with characters that had so many dialogue choices they were very limited artificial intelligence). as far as my tastes go, it's not one of my favorites for the year, but i would probably rank it higher than gta v if i had to put it on some sort of list.

it's been a good year, but there have been some disappointments too. i think i'm alone on this one, but i really disliked how segmented luigi's mansion 2 was. i was fine with paper mario: sticker star's structure, but luigi's mansion 2 rubbed me the wrong way... probably because i was called back always right when i was getting into a groove. ratchet & clank into the nexus isn't a bad game, but it's so short and basic. i was actually surprised when the credits came up. and then there's sonic, which holds the record of going from most hyped to most wtf. it's not a good game, and while it might be classified as a bad one, there are a lot of good ideas there. after the e3 demo, i was sure the game was going to be really good (as has been the case for me and demos before). when i finally played the full game, the levels from the e3 demo were all still fun, even the 2d des(s)ert ruins level (probably one of the shortest pure 2d levels), but there were such huge pacing problems and questionable design elements elsewhere. i think this was a game that would have been improved had someone taken a scalpel to it.

Sciz

Christmas is nearly upon us, and if you were trying to avoid getting into the holiday spirit, tough luck, because for the next week I'll be featuring Christmasy VGM from Sonic and elsewhere. So curl up in a blanket with some hot cocoa and get cozy.

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #84
Christmas Week!

Song: Snowman
Game: Mother
Album: Mother 3+
Composer: Keiichi Suzuki and Hirokazu "Hip" Tanaka
Arrangement: Shogo Sakai

There are a lot of official arrangements of Snowman floating around, as one of the original tracks from Mother that shows up in every game, but I like this treatment the best. Wind sound effects in an intro are a bit cliche, but paired with the steady volume increase through the first loop, it really does drive home the idea of slowly traveling through the snow towards a warmer, livelier place.

This year has been an interesting one, a plethora of great games from all directions that was quite far removed from last year where it was a bit of a jumble and I had to start really expanding my boundaries to find the gems. Yet I struggled to gel with anything new for the entire first half of this year, I was playing games I knew were good but was unable to really muster up that genuine enthusiasm from within. Funnily enough the best games I played in the first half of the year were games I was LttP on from last year, they would've gone a way to brushing up my GotY list for 2011, looking back at these things always makes me see what I'd do differently now with hindsight.

Back onto this year I'm still in that spot where I'm not sure what game I think is my personal best, I find myself leaning more than ever towards gut feelings, the three games that dragged me out of my 2013 doldrums are gunning for those top spots right now and I'm okay with this angle seeing as my thoughts will likely change in a years time anyway. While I'm all for the in depth analysis of games to see what worked and what didn't when it comes games for this years list I'm likely going to stick with the celebratory side of things like why I enjoyed them in the first place and not focus on the weaknesses (Fire Emblem you should be so thankful, good thing Levyne already did that job for me on page 1 of the GotY thread no less) which should also make things easier on the content front, there was so much pruning of words last year so I could fit it all into a single post.
Now deciding what games sneak in at the bottom of the list, there's the real challenge for me.

it's been a good year, but there have been some disappointments too. i think i'm alone on this one, but i really disliked how segmented luigi's mansion 2 was. i was fine with paper mario: sticker star's structure, but luigi's mansion 2 rubbed me the wrong way... probably because i was called back always right when i was getting into a groove.
Shared sentiments here, I think it's a good game and that Next Level Games did a fine job but the way the whole game was structured removed a huge part of what I loved about the original, on top of that E.Gadd gained "The Issun Effect" where he keeps interrupting in order to tell me about something I just saw.

I've started to contemplate doing that (ie: short writeup + song selection), just because I glanced at my shortlist and, uh, it's... long and subject to change if I find anything else from Nert's, Ghaleon's or others' lists.

I had to make two new Awards categories this year: Fan Arrange Album and [Official] Arrange Album. I usually do short writeups for those "awards" in my vote-proper, so I'll hold off on writing them for now (I usually include runners up). But all of those are awards are decided and now set in stone. They have been for a while until I listened to one arranged album yesterday and decided to split the category into two. In any case, writing all of this stuff up takes a long time. I generally do it before I fall asleep, so it is a little like work. Only they're essays I want to write instead of essays forced on me. :V

In fact, I might just work on it this weekend since I won't be home again and it's going to have freezing rain and stuff here.

I'm still doing LTTP soundtracks this year, too. That was super-fun to do since I wasn't obligated to do it. I just like how much free-reign I have in the soundtrack thread as opposed to the GotY thread in terms of formatting.

Poor Sonic, not even shortlisted, Lost World's soundtrack has grown on me quite strongly I have to say, I hope people give it more of a chance as in a sense I kind of feel like the games own mediocrity might've dragged the perception of the music with it.
Not that i'm saying that's your reason or anything.

Much like my games of the year I don't have any definitive winner so far, just three in mind that might as well be sharing the same tier.
With that in mind I want to try and pay more attention to soundtracks I haven't heard this year in the thread itself, while I don't quite click on the same level with soundtracks from a game i've yet to play (guess I'm one of those who takes the music alongside its application in game) I'm hoping I stumble across some good stuff.

I think I'll be taking some extra pages out of your book tome, LTTP soundtracks and the arrange album are on the cards If I can muster up enough musical musings, our very own Sonic song of the day thing has shown me that I can only do this in short bursts.
SPEAKING OF WHICH...

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #84
Christmas Week!

Song: Snowman
Game: Mother
Album: Mother 3+
Composer: Keiichi Suzuki and Hirokazu "Hip" Tanaka
Arrangement: Shogo Sakai

I didn't hear this theme until it was previewed on the Smash Bros Dojo before Brawl's release (or was that the love theme? snowman might've popped up alongside Bramble Blast in the stage creator update), I still need to get around to Earthbound now it's actually available in PAL land, I'm just kinda RPG'd out for the time being.
As for this here version of the snowman theme, well i'm a sucker for when environmental effects like wind are applied well to a track even if it's a bit strong here, the sudden explosion into a livelier loop caught me off guard. Not one of my favourite Snowy themes but this is the best version i've heard.
Now i'm off to roam through the rest of this + soundtrack.

Sciz

I didn't hear this theme until it was previewed on the Smash Bros Dojo before Brawl's release (or was that the love theme? snowman might've popped up alongside Bramble Blast in the stage creator update)

The only Mother track that got its own update appears to be Porky's Theme (and Brawl nicked it and Snowman from Mother 3i and Mother 3+, respectively).

The only Mother track that got its own update appears to be Porky's Theme (and Brawl nicked it and Snowman from Mother 3i and Mother 3+, respectively).

I was wrong on both accounts then, now I remember because I really didn't like Porky's theme much at all, the only track on the stage that I turned off entirely.
Then again I never play on the stage either.

PKrockin

Of course it is but it was still executed well I thought.
I just ended up not getting very invested in those scenes because I knew what was going to happen instantly. It sort of made me stop caring for a while. I was like "oh. This part is going to tug my heartstrings. Okay." Might be just me.

I think it even soured me on the entire game a little. To do that right out of the gate, it felt a little... artificial? to me.

Or it's entirely possible I have a deep seeded cynicism of these cinematic linear shooters. I honestly suspect this is the case.

I just ended up not getting very invested in those scenes because I knew what was going to happen instantly. It sort of made me stop caring for a while. I was like "oh. This part is going to tug my heartstrings. Okay." Might be just me.

I think it even soured me on the entire game a little. To do that right out of the gate, it felt a little... artificial? to me.

Or it's entirely possible I have a deep seeded cynicism of these cinematic linear shooters. I honestly suspect this is the case.

I get exactly what you mean, on both counts.

I will say that I thought
the manner in how it actually happened was done very well, I simply expected ol' fungal zombies to do what fungal zombies do as opposed to the skittery solider.
The sheer predictability of the death itself though had me being captain cynical all the way through the opening.

AniHawk

i agree. doesn't help i was in 'naughty dog can't tell a compelling story lol' mode for the first two hours or so.

once you leave a certain person behind, the story and character interactions pick up considerably, as does the general design of the game.

BlackJace

I really wish I knew more about Lost World's development. Its strange how much they've apparently missed the mark, coming off of two moderately well-received games.

Played through the Yoshi's Island Zone. Man, I wish it was a set of four levels instead of just the one.

That would require making more assets than just that one tree, that one ground texture, a single pipe and two enemies

I really wish I knew more about Lost World's development. Its strange how much they've apparently missed the mark, coming off of two moderately well-received games.

I'm pretty comfortable blaming Takashi Iizuka. Since his return, all the games he's been getting out in front of (Sonic 4, Lost World) seem to be some of the worst. The only exception is Sonic Generations, but parts about that are super boneheaded and a step back, too (but generally only in minor ways).

He checked out after Shadow the Hedgehog and was only mentioned as Special Thanks in Sonic 06 and Unleashed. Starting with Sonic Colors, he started to slowly work his way back in to the spotlight. I feel like Sonic 4 was his first major "I'm back, this is what I am doing now" thing.

Coincidentally, Sonic 4 and Lost World also do that really bad Sonic Team thing where they don't seem to... keep what worked about past games and instead decide to re-invent everything from the ground up, and usually much worse.

These games are as much a team effort as anything but it's definitely interesting that the more Takashi Iizuka represents the mouthpiece of Sonic Team, the more their games embrace their worst habits.

Sciz

I had to make two new Awards categories this year: Fan Arrange Album and [Official] Arrange Album

Mario & Sonic qualifies for the latter category, right

I'm pretty comfortable blaming Takashi Iizuka.

I'm usually all-in for a good Iizuka bashing, but I can't let the directors of those two games off the hook either. Lost World is Morio Kishimoto's fault, formerly the lead game designer of Secret Rings and Black Knight. He's also the director of Colors, and given LW's scattershot approach to mechanics, I'm more and more convinced that Colors was a very happy accident. Sonic 4 was handed off to Toshiyuki Nagahara, director of Unleashed Wii.

Iizuka's never had a strong vision for the series or a grasp of good game design, but neither does anyone else in Sonic Team management, evidently.

BlackJace

That would require making more assets than just that one tree, that one ground texture, a single pipe and two enemies

I'm pretty comfortable blaming Takashi Iizuka. Since his return, all the games he's been getting out in front of (Sonic 4, Lost World) seem to be some of the worst. The only exception is Sonic Generations, but parts about that are super boneheaded and a step back, too (but generally only in minor ways).

He checked out after Shadow the Hedgehog and was only mentioned as Special Thanks in Sonic 06 and Unleashed. Starting with Sonic Colors, he started to slowly work his way back in to the spotlight. I feel like Sonic 4 was his first major "I'm back, this is what I am doing now" thing.

Coincidentally, Sonic 4 and Lost World also do that really bad Sonic Team thing where they don't seem to... keep what worked about past games and instead decide to re-invent everything from the ground up, and usually much worse.

These games are as much a team effort as anything but it's definitely interesting that the more Takashi Iizuka represents the mouthpiece of Sonic Team, the more their games embrace their worst habits.

Seriously. I noticed in your review how they've apparently removed key moves while adding awkward new ones, ones that really don't make life easier.

"If it ain't broke" should've been plastered on the walls of the Sonic Team building, I guess.

AniHawk

i was looking at the director of sonic generations, a game that was pretty good and

Sonic Riders — Level Designer, Game Mode Designer, Scenario Writer, Story Board Designer, Recording Coordinator
Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) — Game Designer
Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity — Game System Designer, Story Plotter, Story Board Designer
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games — Game Designer
Sonic Generations — Game Designer

what

Sciz

i was looking at the director of sonic generations, a game that was pretty good and

what

Yeah, that one confused me too. Sega seems to be throwing staff at the wall to see who sticks.

edit: On a completely different note, it seems like some of the legal tension surrounding the comic might've let up a little as of late. Ben Bates has posted a couple concept sheets and writeups for Sally's redesigns, and more importantly, Ian's going to reveal his pile of scrapped plans for the old continuity. (er, see below, I took a while to edit this in)

Top Bottom