• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

It's one thing to take a song and write multiple sets of lyrics for it, but going the other way around never works out well.

In other news, Retro's been picking through a new 8-bit Sonic 2 prototype.

H1qPZdd.gif

hideous

Falk

that puzzling face
Just like the new city escape, this one's chords is gonna take a lot of getting used to.

Definitely love the production values though. Sounds so much crisper and well produced.

Village

You know what you kids need?

Ya need that ken penders hotness for your ipads, so you can look like ken penders in public.

You can be like " Uahhhn Guurl, look at this ken penders Ipad." And everyone will be impressed.

You think ken penders needs your help? He don't need your help, he is the voice of a generation.

It's one thing to take a song and write multiple sets of lyrics for it, but going the other way around never works out well.

In other news, Retro's been picking through a new 8-bit Sonic 2 prototype.

H1qPZdd.gif

He's looking into the depths of my being

OMG Aero

Does anyone know if the Sega Mega Drive/Genesis Collection on PSP is a good series or ports or not?
It's on sale on the EU PSN store right now and I was thinking of buying it just to have a version of Sonic 2 on my Vita.

Does anyone know if the Sega Mega Drive/Genesis Collection on PSP is a good series or ports or not?
It's on sale on the EU PSN store right now and I was thinking of buying it just to have a version of Sonic 2 on my Vita.

It's by everybody's pals Backbone so if you're sensitive to the things people dislike about their other efforts you might have problems. I had the PS2 version of that collection and thought it was functional but I'm not that picky about these kinds of things.

It's functional, but I've had some of the games (including Sonic 2) randomly reset on me a few times. Nothing like getting that last Chaos Emerald only to find myself staring at the Sega logo for god knows why.

Village

Weird question.

Atlus acquisition aside, do you all enjoy a lot of sega's other offerings? Whilst talking to a friend about sega junk, I realized I enjoy a lot more sega things than I actually though.

Is it just sonic and something else for you? Maybe you are like me and a lot of the things you like from sega are kind of dead.

I dunno weird question.

Dario ff

Banned
Weird question.

Atlus acquisition aside, do you all enjoy a lot of sega's other offerings? Whilst talking to a friend about sega junk, I realized I enjoy a lot more sega things than I actually though.

Is it just sonic and something else for you? Maybe you are like me and a lot of the things you like from sega are kind of dead.

I dunno weird question.
What (recent) time period would you be talking about?

Tizoc

Guys halp
TeamMagmaVSTeamAqua_832x468.png

I want to get Omega Red cuz dinosaur looking Poke...but the blue pirate group look cooler than the red group.

Weird question.

I dunno weird question.

Giving it some thought I don't find many other Sega series to grab me in the same way that Sonic does.
Valkyria Chronicles is my other favourite but it seems to have already lived and perished over the course of one generation which sucks (though arguably that's still a fuller life than a number of other loved Sega series), VC doesn't even get a nod in Transformed and that makes me sad, not as sad as being denied VC3 but sad none the less.

Otherwise I just tend to have leanings towards a few specific Sega games, like Shinobi 3 and Bonanza Bros for some reason (well, co-op reasons).
Oh and I guess I played my share of Super Monkey Ball before it rolled down the tubes.

Guys halp

I want to get Omega Red cuz dinosaur looking Poke...but the blue pirate group look cooler than the red group.
I was always Team Ruby and a friend of mine was Sapphire, upon seeing a recent trailer for the enemy teams in the remake the same friend pointed out that it's like they redesigned the Team Leaders to fit our decade old choices even further, bulked out Pirate guy for him, Moody looking scientist guy for me, funny how that turned out.
Aqua got a decent redesign though, the original guys looked like they'd fit as the Penguin's sailor henchman from the 60's Batman show, well they sort of still do.

Oh yeah, you wanted help, well unless you're planning to use the legend in game and not just drop him in a box for collecting purposes you'll be seeing a lot more of the rival team I guess, really though it barely matters, both teams were in the original versions only that say Magma had more plot priority in Ruby so i assume it'd be the same here.
Gen 3 has the best cover legends, that trio make the rest look small time.

Village

Giving it some thought I don't find many other Sega series to grab me in the same way that Sonic does.
Valkyria Chronicles is my other favourite but it seems to have already lived and perished over the course of one generation which sucks (though arguably that's still a fuller life than a number of other loved Sega series), VC doesn't even get a nod in Transformed and that makes me sad, not as sad as being denied VC3 but sad none the less.

Otherwise I just tend to have leanings towards a few specific Sega games, like Shinobi 3 and Bonanza Bros for some reason (well, co-op reasons).
Oh and I guess I played my share of Super Monkey Ball before it rolled down the tubes.
I understand, sucks about VC though. Shinobi is one of my favorites.
I am a sucker for JSR, Crazy taxi, I like VF despite not knowing how to play VF, I am interested in that anime fighting game they are putting out. I have always liked a lot f their racing game and a bunch of other stuff. Oh and yakuza, well I guess that japanese I'm trying to learn gonna get some use.

What (recent) time period would you be talking about?

Anytime period, do ya like sega junk that doesn't got neon colored anthropomorphic animals in it.

Kyogre and Team Aqua have always styled all over their red counterparts.

this is true, why get the game with the nerds and the giant lava Lobster in it. When you can get the game with the cool guy pirates and the cool super whale.

Dario ff

Banned
Anytime period, do ya like sega junk that doesn't got neon colored anthropomorphic animals in it.
Going by this list.
Strong Interest in: Bayonetta, Daytona USA, Out Run
Middling Interest in: After Burner, Chu Chu Rocket, Crazy Taxi, Golden Axe, Jet Set Radio, Shenmue, Streets of Rage, Virtua Fighter, Yakuza, Valkyria Chronicles

I would say the middling interest is just due to not having the right consoles at the right time to try stuff out, and just recently re-discovering some of their older stuff.

Tizoc

I will reconfirm with my brother, make sure it has the Pokemon I like (Psyduck etc) and then preorder Alpha Sapphire.

OMG Aero

Weird question.

I dunno weird question.
So even including Sonic (because Generations was the last game I played and I'm not interested in Lost World or Boom) the only Sega games I've played recently are the Hatsune Miku games.
If you told me that a year ago that the only Sega game I would be interested in is Hatsune Miku I would have been really bummed out and considered it a sign that Sega is dead, but those games are really fucking fun.

In other video game news, Destiny is strictly 7/10 material

So it's no 9.8 Halo 4 then, brutal that you would grade it with the most damning score of all.
One of my friends was showing it to me yesterday, put simply it seems that there's nothing in there for me but then again I never expected there to be.
Funny though since I had it pegged as the game that would sweep up all those GotY awards from most sites, that's not looking too likely right now.

Tizoc

Hey. so how is that One Piece game you posted on my new thread Tizoc?

One Piece Mansion was a game released on PSX back in the 90s. Has 0 to do with the manga. It was a building management kind of game, but I sadly can't remember much of it since it had been YEARS since I last played it.

Anth0ny

In other video game news, Destiny is strictly 7/10 material

Absolutely. Fantastic art direction, awesome controls/physics (basically Halo controls)... but repetitive ass missions and boring, unskippable cutscenes hurt the game a lot. Literally every mission is "Bring little robot friend to an old computer so he can scan it, now kill a bunch of enemies". There was one mission
with a sword
. That one was awesome. Besides that, everything is the same. From what I can tell, the campaign is only 12 hours long. 12 hours of the same shit over and over.

TimmiT

Absolutely. Fantastic art direction, awesome controls/physics (basically Halo controls)... but repetitive ass missions and boring, unskippable cutscenes hurt the game a lot. Literally every mission is "Bring little robot friend to an old computer so he can scan it, now kill a bunch of enemies". There was one mission
with a sword
. That one was awesome. Besides that, everything is the same. From what I can tell, the campaign is only 12 hours long. 12 hours of the same shit over and over.

Basically. If it had more variety to the missions, more environments and a better story, it would easily be a GOTY contender.

with a sword

but hey, "the real game starts at 20"

where you replay the same strikes and bounties over and over again

Kart94

Banned
Well dang. The scores are a little lower than usually for a Bungie game. *not that i really care for scores. it is just an observation*

lol anyway. Who has tried out the demo of the new Smash Bros game *who has a Club Nintendo thing. I personally didn't but i had a code that was given to me by a friend*

It was great. I am even more hyped. Not sure how the laughing dog from Duck Hunt is going to work though.

^ The gauntlet has been thrown down, best get to making our recolours if we want to truly be the best Sonic Community.

Also
Big reached the big time friends.
Wait, did his feet always look like that, so strange.

Big reached the big time friends.

The Adventure era "flipper feet" are generally one of the most unsettling parts of the SA era designs. And this is a series that had a game with bouncing bat boobs.

Something I noticed about the 3DS version of Green Hill Zone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnNkn0Yy3m8

Watch the swinging platform in the background, and how jerky it's moving. I know they had to make some accommodations for the hardware, like certain elements moving at 30 FPS instead of 60, but YouTube moves at 30, that's way too low. Maybe it's an online play thing.

The Adventure era "flipper feet" are generally one of the most unsettling parts of the SA era designs. And this is a series that had a game with bouncing bat boobs.

Something I noticed about the 3DS version of Green Hill Zone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnNkn0Yy3m8

Watch the swinging platform in the background, and how jerky it's moving. I know they had to make some accommodations for the hardware, like certain elements moving at 30 FPS instead of 60, but YouTube moves at 30, that's way too low. Maybe it's an online play thing.

It moves just as weirdly outside of online play, too.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who thinks the fact the characters have fingers but not toes is really annoying. I mean, Sonic characters are almost never in sandals or barefoot (exceptions being Big, Tikal, and SA1 promo art for Amy and Tails for the former; Ray falling off a cliff in SegaSonic, Chip, and possibly Darkspine Sonic for the latter), but nevertheless!

Mildly annoying Archie rolled this oddity into their canon with the reboot, although IIRC only Muttski and some of the fish people display it, since everybody else who would have instead gained shoes in the transition.

TimmiT

So, do we have any news on the next Sonic Team game?

Only that they're making a game and that it'll probably be released next year. Someone on the Sonic Retro forums leaked that it's coming to Xbox One some time ago, but it should have been obvious that it'd be for PS4/Xbox One as soon as it was announced that Sonic Boom would be the last Sonic game in the Nintendo exclusivity deal.

Also, seeing how Sonic Lost World was probably made by the team behind Sonic Colours, we can expect their next game to be by the team behind Sonic Generations.

Unless leaks happen, I wouldn't expect any announcements until next year.

Top Bottom