• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

Tizoc

Yeah llike didn't you hear?

There hasn't been an actual comic released for months, all listings are striat up delayed to infitanum or just gone. Its not looking so good for Archie in general with sonic comics

Look I have made my peace with the Sonic comics ending
BUT I NEED THIS MAN
I JUST NEED THIS ONE LAST ISSUE!

Village

Nah, tho

But riverdale though, check out river dale though. Are you looking at riverdale, we are spending our money on riverdale. That's what we care about.

Nothing between Archie and Sonic is final. Tracey Yardley (a frequent penciller) said a week or two ago Archie and Sega are still in talks.

Over what, nobody knows, but whatever it is, Archie obviously didn't anticipate it was going to take this long given they had to push January's issues back not just once, but twice. That means they expected whatever is going on to be resolved quickly, and it wasn't.

Back in November, Ian Flynn said Sonic was doing very well in subscriptions for Archie, so I think they'd prefer keeping it around.

CNCOMICS

1492037142277.jpg

From today's Nintendo Direct they showcased Sonic Forces and this still shot of an unknown charcter has been popping up ever since. The character has been guessed as Blaze, Antoine from SatAm, the cat from the Sonic Boom show that sells ice cream, unrealistically Bubsy the Cat, or shockingly as a supposed custom character. That whole third playstyle makes me say Boom Sonic, but after seeing this I not so sure anymore.

Screen shot is at 21:29, helps to drop speed to 0.25:
Who Dat?

Also new footage of Classic Sonic from Sonic Forces at 21:19:
Classic Sonic

Sciz

This is probably old news to some people, but it's new to me, so I'm here to say that this Youtube playlist is absolutely fascinating if you have any interest in a large collection of Sonic 3 bugs that involve messing around with player state, collision detection, and triggers for scripts and code branches, all without external cheats or debug or anything. Game goes through some weirdass contortions when things don't line up quite right.

RGamer2009

Neo Member
Sonic: Time Twisted, a Sonic fangame that has been in development for 10+ years, finally released, and its pretty amazing.

SonicTimeTwistedTitle.png

Trailer

Its a fully complete game and contains the following:

28 Acts to explore
8 Original Zones
10 Bosses to fight
6 elemental shields including 3 all new ones
360 physics extremely close to the Genesis/MegaDrive Sonic Games
3 Playable Characters Sonic, Tails and Knuckles
14 3D Special Stages
Time Travel between the Future and Past

Go here and download it for free!

For Sonic 2, definitely; though I prefer the Game Gear boss theme, the increased field of view is a necessity to have a chance against the bosses to begin with. The first game and Chaos are debatable cases, I suppose; they're about as good regardless of version, though they have their differences (graphics in the case of 1, music in the case of Chaos). Blast isn't worth playing on either AFAIK, but if you had to, play the Game Gear version, as due to the color palettes available to each console, the Game Gear looks significantly better. Triple Trouble is only playable on Master System via a fanmade port, and the graphics will look better on Game Gear for the same reason Blast does (Master System and Genesis have less colors to choose from than the Game Gear - although the Genesis can display more of them at any given time).

Tizoc

Thanks for the info. Sonic 1 GG is a little odd with Sonic's momentum; he reaches top speed in about a second after you move him, and you need to time your movements else you may risk falling into a pit or hitting an enemy.

I like its concept but feel like it could've been better.

Tizoc

Jungle Zone doesn't have to be this tedious
IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE THIS TEDIOUS
WHO THE HELL DESIGNED THIS STAGE?!
WHY IS THE BOSS SO STRESSFUL

HOW CAN YOU FUCK UP SOMETHING SO SIMPLE?!

Woah, woah, WOAH
Jungle Zone is love, jungle zone is life!
Great traditional platforming, jammin' tunes and a spiffy vertical stage.

But yeah the boss can be so inconsistent with how the balls roll.

Tizoc

Woah, woah, WOAH
Jungle Zone is love, jungle zone is life!
Great traditional platforming, jammin' tunes and a spiffy vertical stage.

But yeah the boss can be so inconsistent with how the balls roll.

Mistimed your jump over the platform you have to stand on? You die.
Move 1 pixel updwards so that the platform that was visible is gone? You die if fall down.
This doesn't happen in the boss stage.

Regiruler

Bomberman has an unexpectedly really strong soundtrack. I feel bad that it has to go up against two sonic games in the soundtrack awards this year.

Sciz

Bomberman has an unexpectedly really strong soundtrack. I feel bad that it has to go up against two sonic games in the soundtrack awards this year.

You're not wrong, but even without real competition, SBR was never a big enough release to get any serious consideration.

Xenon84

Neo Member
Sonic: Time Twisted, a Sonic fangame that has been in development for 10+ years, finally released, and its pretty amazing.

SonicTimeTwistedTitle.png

Trailer

Its a fully complete game and contains the following:

Go here and download it for free!

Nice! I was literally JUST looking for Sonic Hacks etc yesterday.

Why? Well I recently been playing Sonic 2 again. It was the first game I ever played. And the few memories I actually have with my Dad (was his game). So I always considered myself a sonic "fan" though I have had zero interaction with the fanbase or community.

I guess this thread will be as far as I go. WIth that said... I have finally gotten all Chaos Emeralds on Sonic 1 and 2! I am proud. Considering as my first game played it was always something I thought about!

Nice! I was literally JUST looking for Sonic Hacks etc yesterday.

Why? Well I recently been playing Sonic 2 again. It was the first game I ever played. And the few memories I actually have with my Dad (was his game). So I always considered myself a sonic "fan" though I have had zero interaction with the fanbase or community.

I guess this thread will be as far as I go. WIth that said... I have finally gotten all Chaos Emeralds on Sonic 1 and 2! I am proud. Considering as my first game played it was always something I thought about!

Well this is about as normal a community as you're gonna see on GAF regarding Sonic. I still haven't gotten all the emeralds in Sonic 1 without using some sort of cheating. =|

Sami+

Well this is about as normal a community as you're gonna see on GAF regarding Sonic. I still haven't gotten all the emeralds in Sonic 1 without using some sort of cheating. =|

It's honestly way too much of a pain in the ass in 1 and 2 imo lol. 1's neat difficult and the reward isn't good enough and 2's halfpipe just blows.

Blue Spheres though. Now that right there is a special special stage.

It's honestly way too much of a pain in the ass in 1 and 2 imo lol. 1's neat difficult and the reward isn't good enough and 2's halfpipe just blows.

Blue Spheres though. Now that right there is a special special stage.

I have the halfpipe down to a science, I just hate when Tails gets involved and ruins my shit by hitting a bomb. But he's a necessary evil to get the ring limit lowered.

Surta

I have the halfpipe down to a science, I just hate when Tails gets involved and ruins my shit by hitting a bomb. But he's a necessary evil to get the ring limit lowered.

The Sonic 2 special stages are no big problem for me either, even with Sonic + CPU Tails. Since there are 8 star posts in all of Emerald Hill Zone, you can be Super Sonic at the first boss battle already. Just recently, I collected all 7 Chaos Emeralds again in Sonic 2 Remastered on an Amazon Fire TV, only to find out that this results in an achievement which crashes the game before it saves...

Anyway, I think you have something backwards here. The special stage ring requirements are higher for Sonic + Tails than for Sonic alone or Tails alone.

As for "cheating", many people don't know that on a soft reset, the Genesis Sonic games do not clear the part of the RAM that stores the collected Chaos Emeralds. Meaning you can simply start a new game, reach and beat the first special stage, then press the reset button on the console (or in an emulator do a soft reset, if supported), and repeat until you've collected them all. And in the remaster, you can thankfully pause and restart special stages when you mess up and react in time.

AniHawk

it's that time again. gen 7 voting thread, featuring such hits as:

sonic rivals
sonic rivals 2
sonic rush
sonic rush adventure
sonic colors for ds
sonic colors for wii
sonic generations
sonic riders
sonic riders: zero gravity
sonic free riders
sonic chronicles: the dark brotherhood
sonic and the secret rings
sonic and the black knight
sonic the hedgehog
sonic the hedgehog 4: episode i
sonic the hedgehog 4: episode ii
sonic unleashed for 360 and ps3
sonic unleased for wii
sonic jump
sonic classic collection

man, it hardly felt like there were twenty sonic games in the span of six years, did it.

BlackJace

I remember Sonic Rivals being kinda fun, maybe I'm crazy.

Also LMAO at Rivals being the canonical point at which Sonic and friends meet Silver ever since STH2006 literally willed its plot out of existence.

Guess Who

Banned
love how the blame for that thread is placed on "sonic fans" and not on all the shitposting motherfuckers spamming fetish art to derail the thread

That trailer thread was pure shit. Had to restrain myself from posting in there.

The character creation thing isn't something that I personally wanted (though I was speculating that it was going to be a thing, thanks to the "join the resistance" line in the first trailer) but I don't think this is a bad thing for the game, at least not as we know it. Kids nowadays LOVE being able to customize their game experiences. Titles like Skylanders, Disney Infinity, and Minecraft have been huge successes with kids and Sonic Forces is offering something similar but without the toys-to-life crap that Skylanders and Infinity implemented.

Just a few stray thoughts I have about the trailer:

- There doesn't seem to be an option for echidnas or foxes. I suspect that the lack of echidnas might be due to the whole Ken Penders debacle but I have no clue why they wouldn't let you be a fox.

- The gadgets are honestly my main concern. The grappling hook looks like it could be fun but whats the point of something like a flamethrower? I just worry that a lot of the gadgets are going to be pointless additions that don't gel well with the core mechanics or level design.

- Speaking of the gadgets, they give me Ratchet and Clank vibes.

- I hope they show us some new levels or at least more of the existing two levels we've seen. I'd really like to see more gameplay at this point.

- Not a fan of the different species getting unique traits since that will lead to one type of character being better than the others (currently looks like the bird will be way better than anyone else).

So yeah, I think this may actually be a smart move by Sega/Sonic Team even if I personally didn't really want this. I hope that when the game comes out and has been in our hands for a few months that maybe the immature shitposting will slow down a bit but I have my doubts. Despite being a huge Sonic fan, I get the impression that a lot of people are more obsessed with shitting on the Sonic franchise and parts of it's fanbase than I am with actually playing the games.

TreIII

love how the blame for that thread is placed on "sonic fans" and not on all the shitposting motherfuckers spamming fetish art to derail the thread

Yeah...really set a bad taste in my mouth, and I didn't even bother posting in that thread.

- There doesn't seem to be an option for echidnas or foxes. I suspect that the lack of echidnas might be due to the whole Ken Penders debacle but I have no clue why they wouldn't let you be a fox.

Even if Penders wasn't involved, I'd imagine that lore-based reasons were good enough to keep Knuckles and Tails unique. If I recall, Miles Prower was supposed to be one of a kind, while Knuckles was supposed to be the last of his.

Am a bit salty that dinosaurs/dragons/lizards weren't even considered. Did they really need both wolves and dogs?

RagnarokX

That trailer thread was pure shit. Had to restrain myself from posting in there.

The character creation thing isn't something that I personally wanted (though I was speculating that it was going to be a thing, thanks to the "join the resistance" line in the first trailer) but I don't think this is a bad thing for the game, at least not as we know it. Kids nowadays LOVE being able to customize their game experiences. Titles like Skylanders, Disney Infinity, and Minecraft have been huge successes with kids and Sonic Forces is offering something similar but without the toys-to-life crap that Skylanders and Infinity implemented.

Just a few stray thoughts I have about the trailer:

- The gadgets are honestly my main concern. The grappling hook looks like it could be fun but whats the point of something like a flamethrower? I just worry that a lot of the gadgets are going to be pointless additions that don't gel well with the core mechanics or level design.

- Speaking of the gadgets, they give me Ratchet and Clank vibes.

- I hope they show us some new levels or at least more of the existing two levels we've seen. I'd really like to see more gameplay at this point.

- Not a fan of the different species getting unique traits since that will lead to one type of character being better than the others (currently looks like the bird will be way better than anyone else).

So yeah, I think this may actually be a smart move by Sega/Sonic Team even if I personally didn't really want this. I hope that when the game comes out and has been in our hands for a few months that maybe the immature shitposting will slow down a bit but I have my doubts. Despite being a huge Sonic fan, I get the impression that a lot of people are more obsessed with shitting on the Sonic franchise and parts of it's fanbase than I am with actually playing the games.
My problem with the character creator is that the characters it creates look just as bad as the lazy ones kids create on Deviantart. They have this really creepy out of place look to them, and I'm not sure they could have picked a worse representative for the trailer.

-likely the reason for no foxes or echidnas is that Tails and Knuckles' abilities are too strongly ingrained into those species and would be expected; especially echidnas since Knuckles isn't really special like Tails is.

-the gadgets are wisps. Wispons. The flamethrower comes from the blast wisp and can be used to shoot flames or jump continuously for an amount of time. Likely there will be a laser gun for laser wisp etc. The flamethrower looked really bad. Just running around slowly and killing enemies with your overpowered stream of fire.

-my biggest issue is that the gameplay is essentially Sonic Boom's gameplay (slow platforming and melee plus grappling hooks) mixed with Shadow the Hedgehog's weapons focus. It doesn't look that much better than it was in Sonic Boom and, considering that they appear to be struggling to make Modern and Classic Sonic decent quality, spreading their resources across a third style makes things even worse.

Village

I guess they really want knuckles to be the last one.

I guess there will be very specific stuff that just wont be customization . Like odds are you wont be able to look like shadow at all.

Maybe you can get customization items though

Top Bottom