• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Unleashed TGS Gameplay Footage - Epic!

Teknoman

Blimblim said:
Here is some more footage. Player sucks (what's with TGS visitors, they all seem to suck?), but it looks damn good.
http://www.gamersyde.com/news_7206_en.html

Aha! So Sonic's doesnt accelerate at an unnatural rate and his normal running speed isnt so damn fast you cant control.

Everyone else was probably spamming the rush dash (like they would in Sonic Rush). The running speed and acceleration actually dont seem to be that bad. Though people still cant seem to figure out pressing lb or rb to change rails.

You can see everytime people slam into walls, its because they were spamming rush.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
RobbieNick said:
All the naysayers can kiss the hairiest part of my fat ass. This game is looking awesome!

Face it, you were naysaying Chronicles, and it became EGM game of the month! If Unleashed gets at least an 8 or higher, it'll heal some of the damage caused by Shadow, and Sonic '06. (In my mind, anyway.) This Christmas might just see not one, but TWO great Sonic games.

Destructoid has a preview. They feel the 360 version is a little TOO fast, (I agree a little. The Wii version is a tiny bit slower, but looks more managable.) but to my surprise, he thought the Werehog sections were the best part!! He said they played like "Prince of Persia". How about that?!

Yeah, kinda shocked about that. Hopefully the Werehog sections will actually be passable enough to forget you're supposed to be running around really fast.

grandjedi6 said:
ooo selective quoting. Two can play at that game:

You had three quotes... he had seven. SonicRetard wins?

Teknoman

Anyone who thinks the game is too fast should stop using Rush whenever they have the ability to. Just use it to quickly dispatch enemies/boost up a ramp to a trick ring or secondary platform.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Teknoman said:
Apparently the music sucks in Chronicles... and I dont think I could bare to even try a Sonic title with a crappy soundtrack (didnt think that was possible).

EDIT: Every song in Secret Rings is good except Dino Jungle.

Yeah.

What's awesome though is that the music we heard for the Unveiling and High Europe trailers may in fact be the music for those levels (speculating from the Wii vid in the OP), which would be just about awesome. Those two songs are so catchy, I hum them all the time.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Hmmm, looks good, but the fancy motion blur present in the early versions of the game seems either removed or toned down on 360. Disappointing.

The Wii version isn't bad either, but it seems to be a downgraded version of the 360/PS3 game rather than something new. I mean, it looks decent enough, but why choose that version over the others if it's simply a visually inferior port? I was really hoping for DIFFERENT stages that would make both versions worthwhile.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
dark10x said:
Hmmm, looks good, but the fancy motion blur present in the early versions of the game seems either removed or toned down on 360. Disappointing.

The Wii version isn't bad either, but it seems to be a downgraded version of the 360/PS3 game rather than something new. I mean, it looks decent enough, but why choose that version over the others if it's simply a visually inferior port? I was really hoping for DIFFERENT stages that would make both versions worthwhile.

Doesn't it have different levels? The theme and style may be the same, but I think the actual course for each one is different (being handled by DIMPS and all.)

dark10x

Andrex said:
Doesn't it have different levels? The theme and style may be the same, but I think the actual course for each one is different (being handled by DIMPS and all.)
It seemed to be the same (layout wise), but perhaps I'm wrong and judging too quickly. Hopefully the actual courses ARE different. That would be excellent.

I noticed something, sorry if it was too obvious or was already pointed out.

In the Wii version, everytime you earn 30 rings, your ring meter gains one bar. When you use the boost, you use up one bar, but it seems that if you're able to hold it and use it as long as you don't hit a wall, one bar can take you a LONG way if used right.

I'm sure in this case there's a limit to how long you can use a single boost because of that. I'm not sure.

Honestly I also find the PS360 version to be too fast, AND that the camera is too close to Sonic. The Wii version is perfect on both ends luckily for me! :p

I'm still dying to know the exact framerate of the Wii version, the PS360 version as we've heard is supposed to run in 30 frames, but the Wii version could gain a huge advantage if it runs in 60 frames with little to no drops.

dark10x said:

If the levels are the same, what would be the point of advertising how the Sonic Rush team is designing the Wii daytime levels?

"They're really good at copying and pasting"?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
dark10x said:
It seemed to be the same (layout wise), but perhaps I'm wrong and judging too quickly. Hopefully the actual courses ARE different. That would be excellent.

No, I'm pretty sure it's almost completely different layout-wise. As was said by some GAFers in this thread, the Wii version seems more prone to longer sidescrolling sections as well.

dark10x

I'm still dying to know the exact framerate of the Wii version, the PS360 version as we've heard is supposed to run in 30 frames, but the Wii version could gain a huge advantage if it runs in 60 frames with little to no drops.
That would be nice, but keep in mind that Secret Rings was 30 fps while Sonic 06 was actually 60 fps (despite being a piece of shit). NiGHTS on the Wii was also a very unstable 30 fps.

If the levels are the same, what would be the point of advertising how the Sonic Rush team is designing the Wii daytime levels?
I did not know that. Interesting. Sounds like both versions will be worthwhile then (hopefully)!

Blueblur1

TheSonicRetard said:
Did you even read the link you posted?
Yes. Yes, I did.

The gameplay that was on offer, sadly, was not quite as breathtaking as the visuals. While not a bad experience, Unleashed certainly suffers from one of the glaring faults of recent Sonic games, in that the levels are so fast, you feel like you're on autopilot for much of the time. There are vast sections where you do little more than run and occasionally jump, nothing that approaches the clever level designs of the old Sonic games.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Blueblur1 said:
Yes. Yes, I did.

It's a minus to be sure, but the overall preview was glaringly positive, don't know how you could spin it otherwise.

Teknoman

After taking a second look at the video, I still think players are giving the illusion the game is TOO fast by spamming rush.

Though im not sure how you could backtrack through certain parts of the stages with the camera angle behind you.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
nincompoop said:
Sonic Unleashed: The game that plays itself.
I sense you've never seriously played a 3D Sonic game. They are playing theirselfes in no way. Go get an S-Rank on your first run in Sonic Unleashed.

Firestorm

Andrex said:
I didn't say that.
Sorry. Brain fart. "Overall preview was glaringly positive"

If all previews are glaringly positive and this preview is overall glaringly positive, that says nothing about the game.

Teknoman

Found these on Sonic Stadium -

New Gamespot interviews:

First interview - Interview with Yoshihisa Hoshimoto.
Second Interview

Apparently they want 2.5D Sonic gameplay to be the center of the series now. Also 2.5D Sonic is supposed to be the majority of the game.

Also I had no idea Akinori Nishiyama of Ristar was involved. Possible explanation of Werehog's gameplay style?

Honestly i'd rather have had Sonic cross over into Ristar's universe and have 1 half Sonic 1 half playing as Ristar instead of Sonic transforming.

EDIT: Hell yeah. More daytime Sonic levels than anything.

Teknoman

Aaron Strife said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26k8STS3nZk

PS3 version, run-through of an entire level - the player is actually pretty decent, he gets an A rank on his first try.

Wow FINALLY. Someone who knows how to play. Really shows how good the game looks as well. Now you can really see that Sonic travels at a "not too fast yet not too slow" max speed when not using boost, and that he accelerates at a decent speed. Plus a nice mix of platforming in between.

ampere

I hope it turns out as good as it looks.
I'd really love to buy another Sonic game, but I won't unless it's good.

Teknoman

CurseoftheGods said:
That looks great. I noticed in the controller menu that the d-pad is not used at all, is this the same for the 360 version?

Probably for menu stuff, but other than that I dont remember seeing anything different with the 360 controls.

Fizzle

This looks really complicated now I'm seeing it in an actual 3D perspective, when it was leaked I felt more comforted to the 2.5D I thought they was gonna use.

Chao

Looks awesme. But one thing I'm still hating on these new Sonics is the lack of badniks.
Enemies are just generic robots, it was way cooler when they were animal-like.

omg rite said:
Why is that funny...? It is good.
Maybe if by "good" you mean "one of the worst platformers of all time". Just because they somehow managed to make the last few entries even worse doesn't change the fact that Sonic in 3D has always been a borderline unplayable mess.

n1n9tean

Banned
I hate the Wii. With that out of the way, the Wii version actually looks like a game I would like to play! I think it looks better than the other versions since it seems to have a better variety of gameplay situations and alternative routes. It's like a REAL Sonic game!!! Urrrgh, I hope that level I saw in the Wii gameplay vid is also on the PS3 version. :lol

No way in hell would I even rent a game that "plays itself" as one of you accurately put it (based on the PS3/360 footage).

Fizzle

Teknoman said:

Like when he was running forwards and slipping into each ally, it just felt a bit weird, i've only ever seen him run sideways across my screen. I liked the 2.5D idea alot more. But then again 3D perespective does kinda introduce newer gameplay challenges other than the oldschool-done-it-before--thats-why-im-so-good-at-it, kinda thing.

Teknoman

Fizzle said:
Like when he was running forwards and slipping into each ally, it just felt a bit weird, i've only ever seen him run sideways across my screen. I liked the 2.5D idea alot more. But then again 3D perespective does kinda introduce newer gameplay challenges other than the oldschool-done-it-before--thats-why-im-so-good-at-it, kinda thing.

Well in youtube video the player didnt seem to slide all over like others.

In all seriousness though, others should watch the newest video posted here before commenting about it playing itself.

Fizzle

Teknoman said:
Well in youtube video the player didnt seem to slide all over like others.

In all seriousness though, others should watch the newest video posted here before commenting about it playing itself.

I saw the video of the guy that got an A on his first try. I re-watched it and i'm actually thankful they used the 3D perspective cause the rail-sliding looked alot fun.

I hope they have more other platformer style gameplay streamlined along with the main gameplay (without making it feel like a platformer centric game, if you know what i mean).

The rail-sliding came off really well for me cause it still kept the speed that i mostly aim for when playing Sonic.

Now that i've thought about it i think i didn't like it at first cause of the fact it looks like two different games. (When you fail and have start re-accomplish you speed again)

The Sonic gameplay looks surprisingly fun. It looks like a worthy successor to the Sonic Adventure/Sonic Adventure 2 speed levels.

The Werehog gameplay, on the other hand, looks like utter shit; akin to the non-speed levels in Sonic Adventure 2.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
and so sega marches on to make another sonic game with precisely zero clue of what made the originals fun in the first place.

Jaroof

nincompoop said:
Maybe if by "good" you mean "one of the worst platformers of all time". Just because they somehow managed to make the last few entries even worse doesn't change the fact that Sonic in 3D has always been a borderline unplayable mess.

Even though that's your opinion..
facepalm.gif

Teknoman

PetriP-TNT said:
The werehog-part looked so shitty...

Wii-version could surprise if it's all 2d gameplay on 3d graphics

Its not. Its still like the PS3 and 360 game yet with a bit more 2d gameplay than the others apparently. Really dont see how people are saying the werehog part looks shitty though. It might not be what you (or any of us) wanted, but it doesnt look like the gameplay mechanics are broken or anything.

Either way it was confirmed that the game as a whole should have more daytime Sonic gameplay than night.

Top Bottom