• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony accidentally revealed that CoD represented $800 million in PlayStation revenue in the United States alone (in 2021)

ZoukGalaxy

Gold Member
Accidentally ? :pie_thinking:

staring meryl streep GIF

I have the feeling that this accident was "a strategy" on purpose from Sony to show to FTC how much COD represent for them, well, just a thought.

Last edited:
There is only one way for PlayStation instead of crying all the time about Call of Duty they should make one themselves.With better graphics gameplay more content and bring it out every 2 years.They should copy what made call of duty so great and do it better.

ulantan

There is only one way for PlayStation instead of crying all the time about Call of Duty they should make one themselves.With better graphics gameplay more content and bring it out every 2 years.They should copy what made call of duty so great and do it better.
With what money and how many studios should they cannibalize to do it.

twilo99

That’s a brilliant idea!

With what money and how many studios should they cannibalize to do it.
They must hire new employees and build a new studio make with Bungie together 1000 people who do only make this game every 2 years single player campaign should be linear and short 8-10 hours multiplayer should have lots of maps and then they can sell additional maps

I have the feeling that this accident was "a strategy" on purpose from Sony to show to FTC how much COD represent for them, well, just a thought.
Is that good thing though? It’s like there saying they ain’t shit without COD then.
Which would be a horrible thing to state.

Who would’ve thought as a kid back in the 80s’ that making video games would net you so much fucking money. Cause I was told it would turn your brian mush

xiskza

Easier said than done...

Easier said than done...
I know but Sony knows how to make amazing games they also made really great shooter like killzone Resistenz mag Warhawk.and they now have the famous Bungie they can hire veterans who worked on great shooter give them 150 million budget.the first will take longer after that 2 years cycle everything is in place only graphics and effect will change core will stay like call of duty

I know this may sound crazy, but that's even lower than I thought. When you think about CoD, it really is the perfect trifecta of a cash cow. New game every year for $70, which ALWAYS charts in the top 10. Has battle pass/MTX in game. Also sells DLC.

It brings in so many funds in different ways and it just repeats the cycle each and every year.

Eotheod

I hate that one title is such a tentpole figure in profit earnings. Business 101 makes you avoid eggs in one basket, but Sont is quite literally at the whim of Activision here for profit margins. That is just stupid and naive of Sony to rely so heavily on one game, and hence why they have their back up about this.

twilo99

I hate that one title is such a tentpole figure in profit earnings. Business 101 makes you avoid eggs in one basket, but Sont is quite literally at the whim of Activision here for profit margins. That is just stupid and naive of Sony to rely so heavily on one game, and hence why they have their back up about this.

I don’t think it was by choice..

ZehDon

With these kinds of numbers, PlayStation isn't in the console business, they're in the Call of Duty business. And now Ryan's GaaS play comes into focus. Either he's hungry for those profits, or, he wants to diminish their staggering dependence on Call of Duty.

bender

What time is it?
bender-futurama.gif

TLZ

Banned
And THIS is why MS is spending all that money on Activision. Coupled with Booty's spending Sony out, well, do the math.

Lasha

Why do you think Sony is up in arms about the deal to begin with? Sony's business model hinges on the economic rent it takes from being the defacto third party console. Microsoft is similar. Both companies would exit the market if they had to survive primarily on first party output.

aries_71

The amount of money these corporations are going and here people fighting for them like good peons…

I think that now the threat of huge games like CoD being taken away from the platform are becoming more real for them, why aren’t they investing in a similar game?

Yes, it takes years to build a franchise like CoD, but make it better, it’s not like they don’t have the talent.

Sony are fucking idiots. They are sitting on a treasure chest of great multiplayer IPs and just have them dormant. Bring out Killzone, Warhawk and SOCOM.

GreatnessRD

Need to take some of that 800 million and build Socom into a powerhouse witcha bitch ass, JIM-MAY!!!*

*P.S - Keep the PC games coming, bruh

Mr.Phoenix

Wait so CoD makes them more money than any of their first party games?

Not too surprising, assuming this figure includes all the micro transactions. CoD players buy a lot of CoD points.
Sheesh... thats not how revenue works.

Anyways, I don't know why this surprises anyone. In truth what surprises me is that I expected it to be more.

Think about it, in any given year, a COD game sells like what? 10-14M copies on a PlayStation platform within say 3 months? That at an average of $60 a pop translates to $600-$840M in revenue. And that is before you factor in any microtransactions.

But lets not get this twisted, this is revenue. Sony is only getting 20-30% of that in actual profits. The rest is going back to Activision.

Interfectum

Sony accidentally revealed how much money Call of Duty is worth to PlayStation.

We knew it was over a billion dollars, but PlayStation boss Jim Ryan’s unredacted letter suggests CoD represented $800 million in PlayStation revenue in the United States alone, and — I think that says $1.5 billion, right? — worldwide. (That’s in 2021 specifically.)

Those players represent way more money to Sony than that, though: Ryan says CoD players spend (what looks to me like) $15.9 billion per year, on average, on everything else they buy.

Then again, some PlayStation gamers play nothing but CoD, we just learned.

Source: https://www.theverge.com/23768244/ftc-microsoft-activision-blizzard-case-news-announcements

unredacted_3.jpg
lol which pink haired intern fucked this up?

Thirty7ven

Banned

staring meryl streep GIF

This is the power of a first tweet. And consistently what we see throughout this whole charade by Tom Warrior from The Shill is a bs take on the first tweet that gets repeated over and over.

The cake is a lie, it’s not Sony who fucked up. It’s the court. Obviously Tom Warrior already tweeted about how he might have misrepresented the situation but hey who cares, clicks clicks clicks.

Embarrassing how we let this bozo generate opinion.

FingerBang

If something this makes Sony's point stronger. You can't deny that COD going exclusive would affect PlayStation considerably. Hell, even just being "free" on Game Pass would affect Sony considerably.

Looking at this number I can see it as a strategy to weaken Sony more than "expanding Game Pass". It changes the whole narrative.

Thirty7ven

Banned
With these kinds of numbers, PlayStation isn't in the console business, they're in the Call of Duty business. And now Ryan's GaaS play comes into focus. Either he's hungry for those profits, or, he wants to diminish their staggering dependence on Call of Duty.

Are you under the impression that things are different at Xbox? It will be even worse. The shooter crowd is their main audience, and COD will represent an even bigger slice of the pie on Xbox.

Last edited:

Corndog

Banned
Who did?

Did you read what SquareEnix told us?

SquareEnix reached out to Microsoft regarding Final Fantasy. Microsoft made SE an inadequate offer, which did not even include any development support. Sony's offer had development support.

That was a key thing for SquareEnix, and SE decided to go with PlayStation.

Maybe Microsoft should have offered technical support to SquareEnix if FF was important for them?
So I hope I never see you complain about any games not coming to ps5 because of exclusivity deals or buying developers.

Last edited:

twilo99

They’re not crying for nothin’!

Staggering numbers and it all makes sense now. People here were saying this was the case from the very beginning of the saga, but I just couldn’t grasp the gravity of the situation. CoD is absolutely essential to the whole PS business model.

This is why so many people just never got it, the amount of them saying they never play Activision games or they hate COD so it doesn’t matter to them. It absolutely does, COD games help fund so many exclusives, not to mention many other aspects of Sony’s gaming division.

Last edited:
Top Bottom