• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony announces Dualshock 4 USB Wireless Adaptor (PC/Mac)

Raylan

Banned
Now you can connect a PS4 controller to your PC or Mac

The Adaptor – available from 15th September, allows you to connect a DUALSHOCK 4 wireless controller to your Windows PC or Mac via Bluetooth. Simply insert the Adaptor into a USB port on your computer and then follow a quick pairing process to connect your controller.

You can then enjoy wireless play with compatible applications – such as PlayStation 4 (PS4) Remote Play, with access to all the same great DUALSHOCK 4 features and functionality*: buttons, analogue sticks, touch pad, light bar, motion sensors, vibration, and stereo headset jack.

You can then start streaming your PS4 games to a PC or Mac – so you can keep on playing, even when you’re away from the TV.

The DUALSHOCK 4 wireless controller and Adaptor are also compatible with the PlayStation Now subscription service on Windows PC, available on 24th August in the UK, Belgium and Netherlands.

Players can download the PlayStation Now app to gain instant access to an ever-expanding library of over 300 classic PlayStation 3 titles, streamed straight to your computer.

3evJoUo.png

Price: $24.99

PlayStation Blog Link

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
How much is this dongle gonna cost?

EDIT: US Blog says $24.99

Idk seems kinda high for just a fucking dongle.

Neoxon

So I suppose that this wasn't for the PlayStation Meeting after all.

Regardless, this is good news for PC players who don't want to use the Xbox controllers.

Corpekata

Banned
Seems like an option for those that don't want to hassle with 10 dollar bluetooth adapters I guess.

Wonder if it'll work okay with things like DS4Windows like third party bluetooth adapters do.

Guess Who

Banned
Since this suggests official DualShock 4 drivers, how long till someone finds a way to make the official drivers work over other Bluetooth adapters instead of Sony's dongle here?

And will it support DirectInput, Xinput, or be totally proprietary and only work with stuff like the Remote Play app and PlayStation Now?

Since this suggests official DualShock 4 drivers, how long till someone finds a way to make the official drivers work over other Bluetooth adapters instead of Sony's dongle here?

And will it support DirectInput, Xinput, or be totally proprietary and only work with stuff like the Remote Play app and PlayStation Now?

Couple hours?

Experien

For some reason I always had problems connecting a PS controller with my Mac. DLed so many useless drivers with no results. I am very tempted to throw down for this.

Guess Who

Banned
For some reason I always had problems connecting a PS controller with my Mac. DLed so many useless drivers with no results. I am very tempted to throw down for this.

It's super easy to pair a DS3 or DS4 with a Mac. Don't need any third-party drivers, even.

iosefe

you can use it with regular bluetooth, but unless you turn of the controller with the PS+Options combo, you can drain the battery in the contorller permanently, or something like that, meaning you can't use it with a PS4 anymore, and only Wired to a computer.

so for playing Wirelessly on a PC this is essential

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
You may also be able to use the Adaptor and DUALSHOCK 4 wireless controller with some Windows PC/Mac games, but we cannot guarantee compatibility.

Sounds like this is more for actual Sony applications, and not for use as a general PC controller. Hopefully this line is just to cover their asses and it'll function as a generic joypad for most other things. Was looking into that new Xbox controller to play some PC games but would much rather just use the controller that'll come with my Neo.

Corpekata

Banned

There already are official drivers.

The only thing that would be notable is if they supported Xinput, which it doesn't sound like they are doing.

Am I getting this right? A Playstation-branded bluetooth dongle for $25? Isn't that about twenty-some-odd dollars more than what you can buy a generic compatible one for? What about new official controller drivers?

Mepsi

My question is, are they going to attempt to block official DS4 support through regular bluetooth adaptors and force us to buy this one, or is this just gonna be the convenience option for those that can't be arsed with the traditional pairing options?

Great to have the option but generally don't need wireless for PC as I'm sitting 1 ft away.

PS now for PC is great news, on top of having remote play for PC... now I want steam link app for ps4.

CHC

Why would I even need this at all? DS4 works via Bluetooth already. I wonder if Sony will just publish drivers I could get?

Bl@de

Why would I even need this at all? DS4 works via Bluetooth already. I wonder if Sony will just publish drivers I could get?

Yes. The wireless adapter is one thing, but official driver support would be awesome :)

~Cross~

Looks pretty big, for 25 bucks hopefully it comes with the usb cable cradle too because I wouldn't be able to justify the size without it.

thenexus6

I've never been able to get my DS4 to work with WIndows 10 via bluetooth so I have to connect it via USB and DS4windows.

Would be really cool if this dongle just let you connect and play any Steam or PC game you wanted.

iosefe

Doesn't seem like it does anything that you can't already do with the standard BT connection.

Standard BT connection carries the risk of breaking the controller

unless you turn off the contorller properly after every session, you can end up fully draining it and it no longer turns on, leaving it to only work Wired, and since the PS4 doesn't do wired outside of Safe Mode, the controller is only useful on a computer or PS3

Guess Who

Banned

unless you turn off the contorller properly after every session, you can end up fully draining it and it no longer turns on, leaving it to only work Wired, and since the PS4 doesn't do wired outside of Safe Mode, the controller is only useful on a computer or PS3

This isn't a Bluetooth issue. This is a "Sony doesn't provide official drivers that would auto-turn-off the controller or provide an easy way to shut it off from the computer" issue.

cakely

Interesting.

Notice that it says that it supports the headphone jack on the DS4 which is something that doesn't work with DS4Windows.

I'm definitely interested, but I'd like to see how many controllers this supports, if there's Windows 7 compatibility, etc.

I currently run DS4 windows over a bluetooth adapter. It works well enough to be my only PC game controller.

j-wood

The need the dongle likely because it transfers every feature of the DS4, including headphone jack, touchpad, etc.

artsi

I currently run DS4 windows over a bluetooth adapter. It works well enough to be my only PC game controller.

It's IMO the best PC controller, as you can make profiles for different games / software and you can map multiple hotkeys to the touchpad corners.

cakely

As someone that uses standard bluetooth and a DS4 very regularly this ... really isn't an issue. Turn your controller off when you're done playing.

I've had PS3 controllers that have sat out for literally years without a charge and they work just fine once recharged. Is this a different story with the DS4?

Top Bottom