• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony announces next-gen Blu-ray disc (Archival Disc), can store up to 1TB of data

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vizzeh

Banned
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/so...isc-can-store-up-to-1tb-of-data/1100-6418200/

Can some one make a thread about this for me please ? If there isn't one already thanx.

Today, Sony officially announced the "Archival Disc," described as a next-generation iteration of its Blu-ray format that can house up to 1TB of data. Currently, Blu-ray discs, like the ones used for PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One games, can store up to 50GB of data.

Sony describes the Archival Disc as a "new standard for professional-use, next-generation optical discs, with the objective of expanding the market for long-term digital data storage." The Archival Disc was developed in conjunction with electronics giant Panasonic.

Archival Disc systems will launch in summer 2015, with the first versions featuring 300GB of storage capacity--that's 6X the capacity of current 50GB Blu-rays. Sony will expand recording capacity per disc to 500GB and 1TB sometime later, though specific timing was not announced.

"In recent times, demand for archival capabilities has increased significantly in the film industry, as well as in cloud data centers that handle big data, where advances in network services have caused data volumes to soar," Sony said in a statement.

The new Archival Discs are write-once and are double-sided with three layers per side.

2451700-archivaldisc.jpg

There is a PS4 Video on the bottom of the article (link above) and although I believe PS4 Blueray spec has been reported, I am unsure on the comparability (Would be great though).

BibiMaghoo

The thought of having to flip my disks over, is that is it no better than having multiple discs in any meaningful way. That is crappy. This needs to be done on one side.

Vizzeh

Banned
Physical media continues on.

4k Content will use massive bandwidth or storage space. Gotta have an alternative to those not with a Cat6 cable running directly to their ISP.

Curious myself on how compatable these will be with standard blueray drives. If they can go to 1TB, are double sided.. thats potentially 500GB Per side (or 512GB)

Be useful on the PS4 as an install side and a play side, but with the huge capacity I can see certainly over 50GB a disc being useful but the second side likely not necessary (for gaming)

Whoa! 1TB optical disc is very impressive... but by the time it's on the market and considering the expected high price of the drive and the blank media, I'm not sure how tempting it will be. Edit: Yeah, the not-targeted for consumers part kills it for me.

Wasn't there a thread earlier today about similar thing?

Psxphile

[UPDATE] A Panasonic representative has clarified that the Archival Disc is specifically intended for professional purposes, not general consumer use.

"The development is specifically for professional archiving," a Panasonic spokesperson told PC World. "We are not currently considering optical discs for household consumer use."

I think this is pretty important.

rrs

it's making 50 GB/layer on launch, it seems to be more or less Blu-ray but with a tighter spiral.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I would guess if these discs were somehow compatible with blu ray they would just call it blu ray and not "archive discs" for consumer use.

"Archival disc" positions it as a professional thing.

Deadstar

I would love to have this for backups. Too bad the 300 gb is next summer. Will we need a new bluray burner to write to these? I still have a dvd drive. Never got a bluray or bluray burner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom