• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Announces Q1 Results

DC1

In what sense did PS3/Sony beat 360/MS?
Is having some more units sold a measure of winning?
I mean, specially when going from 150+ million to 81 million.. if thats winning then I guess it is a win then :)

Point logic fail.

You're comparing the final sale results of the PS2's 11+year existence

To

The ongoing forward directional sales results of the PS3's 6+year existence.

Come back at me bro... after 5 more years.
;)

decrease in unit sales
Missed it. I remember having the discussion over the terminology in the absence of the word "unit", but it may have been a different quarter's report.

If it refers to unit sales (as I'm now aware it does) then yes numbers were down for the full year.

Miles X

Point logic fail.

You're comparing the final sale results of the PS2's 11+year existence

To

The ongoing forward directional sales results of the PS3's 6+year existence.

Come back at me bro... after 5 more years.
;)

What are you expecting after 11 years?

Channeling Churchill, I hope that this is the end of the beginning in Sony's turnaround, Kaz seems to be turning the ship. TV is especially surprising. The weaker Yen isn't hurting them either.

Well done Sony.

allan-bh

I see. Thinking about it, I've seen unit sales defined as "revenue per unit" in other places.

Strange.

Anyway, I think it's irrelevant here because is unlikely that PS3 shipped more units in FY 2012 than FY 2011. Retail sales data don't indicate that.

Holy crap, the spin in this thread is making me dizzy. From the same old posters too, what a surprise.
Jesus, everyone knew the ps3 would surpass the 360 and be in second place.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Indeed. The YEN has dropped almost 25% against the dollar since November.

It's helping a lot of American exporters:

Hurting, you mean? In Japan. Having to increase your prices to maintain margin in that territory because the local currency is weakening isn't a great situation.

Of course it's an even worse situation for foreign exporters selling into the much larger American market when the dollar is weaker. That was hurting Japanese exporters badly for so long.

Hurting, you mean? In Japan. Having to increase your prices to maintain margin in that territory because the local currency is weakening isn't a great situation.

Of course it's an even worse situation for foreign exporters selling into the much larger American market when the dollar is weaker. That was hurting Japanese exporters badly for so long.

BBC said:
A weak currency also makes Japanese goods more affordable for foreign buyers, helping boost sales of exporters such as Sony.

I shouldn't have said 'American exporters'.

Ah, I did read that quote wrong.

But we're still not allowed to badmouth Sony here.

Don't worry mate you can "badmouuth" Sony to your hearts desire just don't make a fool out of yourself like these guys:

Their gaming division posted an operating loss of 149 million dollars, which is hardly a call for celebration. Try reading the thread before you gush over your favorite company.

This, exactly.

Those are terrible numbers for a company that size. Investors could do better buying govt bonds than investing in that. They definitely are banking on pa4 to fix a lot .

While the number is small, this is a good trend for house Sony. Kaz seems to be doing some things right. The games division is certainly kicking butt, from an overall brand perspective, in my opinion.

Those are terrible numbers for a company that size. Investors could do better buying govt bonds than investing in that. They definitely are banking on pa4 to fix a lot .

For a company that size, yeah.

For Sony? They've been seeing red for so long that a bit of black is a sign of relief.

They need to make sure this momentum stays first, then they can think about increasing their margins.

eorl

Banned
Surprised their TV department is making money. Here in Australia their TV line is still one of the more expensive to purchase, with people like Dick Smith offering "home brand" TVs for dirt cheap.

I highly doubt the PS3 will ever surpass the Wii, the slump is here and with PS4 just around the corner people are going to forget it pretty quickly (those wanting GT6 or any other current-gen will most likely already have a PS3). Will be very interesting to see how much of a loss Sony will take on each PS4 unit, and whether they can sustain from that lost.

nib95

Banned
PS3 LTD - 81.5 million console
Xbox 360 LTD - 78.2 million consoles

Not many people would have believed the PS3 could beat the 360 a few years ago, but here we are.

This just further drives home the point that not only can Microsoft not afford to lose the US and UK as their main markets, they also need more. If the current pre-order numbers are anything to go by, Microsoft is in for a rude awakening.

EagleEyes

This just further drives home the point that not only can Microsoft not afford to lose the US and UK as their main markets, they also need more. If the current pre-order numbers are anything to go by, Microsoft is in for a rude awakening.
Those numbers aren't correct btw.

Nikodemos

Thanks, as usual, live and die by the Yen, still a finance/insurance company when all said and done,
Didn't Ninty's profits (in yen) come from currency conversion as well? IIRC zomg said that their operations were a loss. Seems to be a rather common theme for Japanese corps lately.

shink

Surprised their TV department is making money. Here in Australia their TV line is still one of the more expensive to purchase, with people like Dick Smith offering "home brand" TVs for dirt cheap.

I highly doubt the PS3 will ever surpass the Wii, the slump is here and with PS4 just around the corner people are going to forget it pretty quickly (those wanting GT6 or any other current-gen will most likely already have a PS3). Will be very interesting to see how much of a loss Sony will take on each PS4 unit, and whether they can sustain from that lost.
I think Sony TVs are cheaper than they used to be. Still slightly pricier but I'd rather buy Sony, Panasonic or Sharp rather than the crappy Samsung TV I have now for just a hundred or so cheaper.

The ps3 hasn't had a price drop in a while, if they can continually get the costs down over the next couple of years for it to hit $99 i think it will do well. Probably won't beat the Wii though

They made some money without selling buildings, very good. All the divisions are looking good as well, Kaz doing the work. PS4 should help Gaming a lot once they make a profit on it and PS+.

Looking good right now.

2MF

They made some money without selling buildings, very good. All the divisions are looking good as well, Kaz doing the work. PS4 should help Gaming a lot once they make a profit on it and PS+.

Looking good right now.

I haven't looked at it closely, but I wouldn't be surprised if the weaker yen is helping more than Kaz has.

This image is pretty dramatic in that regard, look at dat dollar going up:

jFC6hxRqeJUuP.png

You think it can? I don't think so personally. But who knows...ps2 sold impressively even after the current gen launched, so I guess anything can happen

ps2 sold 50 million after ps3 launch, and ps3 is still selling within about 20 dollars of ps2 LAUNCH price.

price drop and no bc in the ps4 means passing wii isn't an "if" but a "when"

If we're talking about Dick Smith and Kogan, Sony's TVs are way more expensive. But compared to comparable East Asian brands, their current range of TVs are a lot less expensive than their previous HX/EX series TVs, have pretty nice designs, and are of a similar price as Samsung.

I'm not surprised the TV division is actually making money since their TVs are actually affordable now, have pretty solid aesthetic designs from low end to high end and are actually unique in the market since most have low input lag. I think the real major change is that none of their TVs actually look and feel like shit anymore. Even their cheapest 32" TV is built quite well and doesn't have any hint of curved glossy black plastic.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Thingies from the overseas call:

- The profit forecast for Game has been cut. At the beginning of the year they were forecasting break even, but that's been cut. The only factor in that revision is impact of the weakening yen, which will have adverse affect on bottom line of this section. In terms of manufacturing the hardware it is mostly off shore, and cost here is more linked to dollar than other currencies. There hasn't been a revision of other assumptions that factor into profitability.

- On PS4 vs PS3 R&D spend... they spent hundreds of millions on PS3 chip design and billions on fabrication technology and capacity. With PS4 they're using off the shelf designs at the core, and are fab-less. On software R&D costs, PS4 is more advanced than PS3, but costs will depend on 'how dev community works to create good titles for us. So, I cannot comment further than this.'

- Was asked about PS4 market feedback and meeting demand. They haven’t disclosed how many units they will prepare for launch and FY. SCE will inform when the time comes. They are very much encouraged by response they have seen at E3. Some polls indicate that about 80% of potential customers prefer their platform to their main competitor's new platform. Doing their best to secure capacity to meet demand. Overall very encouraged by indications so far.

- PS4 R&D costs will continue to increase up until launch. Hardware R&D costs will peak around launch and fall off after that. On the software side, the more successful they become, the more they will be investing in first party studios. Cannot say if will rise or fall but software is very profitable so they will keep a certain capacity in their teams and studios to work on PS4 titles.

On a side note, they talked in the presentation about PS4 launching 'at the end of the year'. Which doesn't sound very October-ish to me for those of you who seem to be hoping for that ;)

For Vita/PSP to hit the 5M target, the average monthly shipment rate would need to nearly triple beginning in September (I'm writing off July and August due to the lack of notable releases outside Japan).

At least it's not completely batshit like Nintendo's forecast this year or Sony's forecast last year, but it's safe to say that that's not happening even with a Western price cut.

Wow it wasn't even a few years ago Sony was losing billions right ?

Kaz doing work.
Didn't they sell some real-estate recently? That's the equivalent of having a yard sale to pay the bills. That's a one time fix. We'll see if this can be sustained. Without their insurance business, Sony would be in big trouble. But that's why in business you should have multiple and diverse revenue streams.

Maybe when you buy a PS4, you get a life insurance policy as well or for a discount with a PSN account. :)

Didn't they sell some real-estate recently? That's the equivalent of having a yard sale to pay the bills. That's a one time fix. We'll see if this can be sustained. Without their insurance business, Sony would be in big trouble. But that's why in business you should have multiple and diverse revenue streams.

Maybe when you buy a PS4, you get a life insurance policy as well or for a discount with a PSN account. :)
I think the real estates are last quarter right? I don't think they matter here.

Averon

Those real estate sales had no effect this quarter as they were recorded in the previous quarter.

And if you actually look at their report, a lot of them are actually posting profits. The only one that isn't is the game division. The Mobile Division is digging itself out of its ditch and even Home Entertainment is posting a profit in god knows how many years and that's because they're actually putting out affordable TVs that aren't shit as well as very nice sounding and featured receivers.

For Vita/PSP to hit the 5M target, the average monthly shipment rate would need to nearly triple beginning in September (I'm writing off July and August due to the lack of notable releases outside Japan).

At least it's not completely batshit like Nintendo's forecast this year or Sony's forecast last year, but it's safe to say that that's not happening even with a Western price cut.

it's possible. vita numbers are low enough that a significant price drop can easily increase numbers, plus holiday sales (November and December) are usually 2 to 3x spring and summer anyway.

ps4 cross promotion (remember, vita is now the "ps4 anywhere" device) price drop and holiday season combined could plausibly get them there.

whether Sony is aggressive enough is the question.

Top Bottom