• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Sony closing PSP storefront (but PSP games still available via PS3/Vita/PC webstore)

sörine

Banned
Why are they bothering shutting down the PSP store though? The Wii and DSi shops are still going so I can't imagine it's a cost issue, and it seems premature when PSP still gets notable localizations like Trails SC or Summon Night 5?

Takao

Banned
Wait, hasn't the PSP PSN store been closed for years already?

Or does this affect Vita PSN too?

Sony shut down the EU PSP store last year, but the NA and JP ones are still open.

And no, this shouldn't affect Vita at all. Unless you used UMD Passport or something, but that was only ever available in Japan.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
sörine;186960953 said:
Why are they bothering shutting down the PSP store though? The Wii and DSi shops are still going so I can't imagine it's a cost issue, and it seems premature when PSP still gets notable localizations like Trails SC or Summon Night 5?

Cause those are not notable in Sony's eyes(or notable enough for PSP owners), and you can still buy them digitally via Vita

gelf

So you just cant buy them directly via the PSP? that's not too bad. They should work on adding support for the PSP games to be played on PS4 along with the upcoming PS2 and I assume PS1 support.

Danlord

Outrage first, facts later.

When 'reputable' outlets like Kotaku report, they are supposed to report the facts. If it was true, the outrage was justified. However now we know that Kotaku has done shoddy reporting, so in hindsight the outrage is unwarranted but of course they weren't to know that.

He edited the post.

Original
Sony announced that it’s ending PSP software sales on the PlayStation Store as well as the UMD Passport service on March 31, 2016 in Japan, Inside Games reports. Previously purchased content will be still available and can be downloaded again or transferred via Vita, PS3, PC or mobile devices.

This isn’t totally unexpected, since Sony ceased shipping new PSP units last year in Japan.

Revised
Sony announced that it’s ending PSP software sales on the PSP’s PlayStation Store as well as the UMD Passport service on March 31, 2016 in Japan, Inside Games reports. Previously purchased content will be still available and can be downloaded again.

According to the official release and pointed out by Twitter user Mazyx, PSP owners in Japan can still buy PSP content through the Vita, PS3, PC or mobile devices and then transfer them to their PlayStation Portables.

This winding down isn’t totally unexpected, since Sony ceased shipping new PSP units last year in Japan.

11/27- 7:46am - Update: This post has been changed for clarification.

Inuhanyou

So you just cant buy them directly via the PSP? that's not too bad. They should work on adding support for the PSP games to be played on PS4 along with the upcoming PS2 and I assume PS1 support.

I actually thought about such a thing a while back. Emulation support for classics of PS1/PS2 AND PSP games would give PS4 quite the back catalog with very minimal effort. A lot of PSP games do clean up well too with just a res boost, and the quality of the games isn't that far removed from PS2

The outrage on the first page is pretty funny to read over. Just thinking over this for a minute and you might question whether it's true, as what would be the benefit of Sony for shutting the sales of PSP games down altogether.

Shame on Kotaku for some shitty reporting though. Is it just me or have they not even updated the story yet?!

Sony shut down the EU PSP store last year, but the NA and JP ones are still open.

And no, this shouldn't affect Vita at all. Unless you used UMD Passport or something, but that was only ever available in Japan.

Ah, then it's not an issue for me. Still sad though.

klee123

You wonder why publishers blacklist Kotaku.

Fucking amateurish reporting with false info just to bring in the clicks.

Is the North American PSN store still available through the PSP? I'm pretty sure I downloaded the three Spyro titles directly on PSP via the store a few months ago.

Also, is it possible to transfer PSP titles from the PS4 to PSP? I've seen lots of posts about transferring from PS3 to PSP but it seems weird why you wouldn't be able to do this via a PS4 also.

Thanks.

Please read further than post #2. That reaction is based on incorrect information:

screenshot_2015-11-27xjsnw.png

Move along people, smh at Kotaku for creating this outrage.

Galdelico

I thought I remember reading they already turned off the PSN storefront through PSP ages ago.

They did it in EU. You can still access to your purchases list and re-download the games you bought straight with your PSP, if it's a wi-fi model.

That said, it kinda sucks they'll do the same with Japanese and US stores too. I mean, I expected them to go that way eventually, but still...
Eh, guess I'll grab the two Corpse Party and that other couple of Minis I want before it all goes down.

Fdkn

Original

Revised

I think the revised article is still really bad worded but maybe that's me tho.

They did it in EU. You can still access to your purchases list and re-download the games you bought straight with your PSP, if it's a wi-fi model.

That said, it kinda sucks they'll do the same with Japanese and US stores too. I mean, I expected them to go that way eventually, but still...
Eh, guess I'll grab the two Corpse Party and that other couple of Minis I want before it all goes down.

The only thing going down is the PSP store. You can purchase games as always from pc/ps3/mobile psn stores. This has been the case in Europe too for some time

sörine

Banned
Cause those are not notable in Sony's eyes(or notable enough for PSP owners), and you can still buy them digitally via Vita
Just looked and I guess it's Japan only and the NA storefront will keep going. Which is good for companies like Xseed and Monkeypaw given how huge the PSP userbase is.

Still, seems like a weird move imo. They're going from a sellable 24m userbase (PSP+Vita) to a 4m userbase (Vita) for no real reason?

Happy tonsee you'll still be able to buy from the other storefronts.

I'd love to see the numbers on how many people still access the psn store from a PSP these days.

I've sent a mod a message asking if the topic title can be changed.

I think the revised article is still really bad worded but maybe that's me tho.

Yes; it's still poorly worded and they could have put a bit more effort into actually rewriting it so it makes sense rather than adding a sentence which doesn't do a whole lot to clear it up.

Inuhanyou

sörine;186962924 said:
Just looked and I guess it's Japan only and the NA storefront will keep going. Which is good for companies like Xseed and Monkeypaw given how huge the PSP userbase is.

Still, seems like a weird move imo. They're going from a sellable 24m userbase (PSP+Vita) to a 4m userbase (Vita) for no real reason?

Can we assume Sony did the numbers and took note of how many people connected their PSP's to the storefront? At this point...i would expect only Japan to have any sort of real hold on that market, and even then, Vita has supplanted it

sörine

Banned
Can we assume Sony did the numbers and took note of how many people connected their PSP's to the storefront? At this point...i would expect only Japan to have any sort of real hold on that market, and even then, Vita has supplanted it
Japan's where this is happening though. And Vita's done a particularly terrible job of supplanting PSP there too.

sörine;186963431 said:
Japan's where this is happening though. And Vita's done a particularly terrible job of supplanting PSP there too.

But we don't know the actual number of PSP that might still be trying to connect. Either way, you can still buy the games just not on the PSP.

I hear mobile phones are huge in Japan and their is and digital storefront through the web.

You wonder why publishers blacklist Kotaku.

Fucking amateurish reporting with false info just to bring in the clicks.

And no translation checking.

I feel like I flashed back to the early PS3 days where it seemed like every news story on multiple sites had some kind of mistranslation of Japanese news or interviews causing some kind of extra outrage toward PS3.

Inuhanyou

sörine;186963431 said:

Well in regards to core gamers, they have moved onto Vita or 3DS, and mobile has snapped up the rest.

So PSP in general just doesn't have the userbase to keep the storefront open, regardless of the sales figures. It's happening in Japan, but i'd expect America to follow not too far after

Shizuka

Did anyone really use the PSP store? I did for a short time, after finding out I could buy download the PSP games and transfer them from my PS3. Never used the PSP store again. This is not a big deal, you'll still be able to buy PSP games and play them, as always.

Galdelico

The only thing going down is the PSP store. You can purchase games as always from pc/ps3/mobile psn stores. This has been the case in Europe too for some time
Yeah, that's what I wrote. I only added that one thing you still can do in EU (I expect to be the same for US and Japan) is to access your purchase history - in case you may need to re-download your games - straight with your PSP (if it's a wi-fi model, of course).

Inuhanyou

Ah, I see. I read the OP and some of the first page, which wasn't very pretty. Still, I expect this to happen somewhere down the line.

You expect Sony to stop selling PSP titles? Why would they do that when they have a legitimate library they can use to get money?

They have not stopped selling PS1 classics, and that's like 20 years old.

That's what I thought. PSP storefront is closing. I mean why stop making money when you don't have to?

I want to say that the PSP storefront runs on a version of the store that is more similar to the first gen- store on PS3, but I am probably wrong.

Yeah, I wonder if it's something like that that makes it have to be updated separately from the other stores, otherwise this seems silly to close.

I have to imagine most just buy the psp stuff on the pc or vita store by now.

Fdkn

Yeah, that's what I wrote. I only added that one thing you still can do in EU (I expect to be the same for US and Japan) is to access your purchase history - in case you may need to re-download your games - straight with your PSP (if it's a wi-fi model, of course).

Maybe I missunderstood you because you talked about purchasing some games before they go down. Sorry then

Top Bottom