• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Draws the Ire of Indie Video Game Makers - Jason Schreier

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
When was the last time this specific writer has actually written about games?

He seems to be always ready to give developers (real or alleged) a voice when there's drama to take advantage of, but never when they actually make games.

Last edited:
"We demand equal store presence for our shovelware games and calculator apps as you do mega-million dollar AAA games. Nintendo does it, so you should too!"

For real. I love Nintendo but scrolling through the sales is toxic af.

That article seemed poorly written and half-baked. He really started with “Hi everyone, it’s Jason”
Felt like I was reading a blog.

Oh you actually clicked on it.....Well thanks for confirming my decision.

Three

I'm all for indie representation but complaining without a solution is known as whining. You want to be featured in the store? So do 15000 other small unknown indie games/developers. You want to set your own sales discounts? Sure but stop putting your £3.50 mario clone on 'sale' for 11months pretending it actually costs £30. Things are the way they are for a reason and if you can come up with a better solution I'm sure they would be all ears.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Where there's drama, there's a vulture.
I’m seeing a resemblance,
latest

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
"We demand equal store presence for our shovelware games and calculator apps as you do mega-million dollar AAA games. Nintendo does it, so you should too!"

Don't lump this trash in with the Calculator app. They somehow managed to get their Calculator app positively review bombed on Metacritic. If only these shovelware developers were as calculated.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
It would be super cool if this was a free form thought piece focusing on Jim Ryan sitting down with Schreier and literally drawing like 4-6 sketches of Indie devs getting pissed at Sony, with in depth interpretations and reviews of the man's work.

Instead it's just Babyface Butthole professing for the umpteenth time that he hates what's paying his bills.

Shubh_C63

Hmm so the whole article is based on these three info bits.

1. Sony mail response is slower to indie games (compared to what, we don't know how they know)
2. Sony demands 25,000$ to put your indie game on store's front page
3. Sony doesn't let indie devs do frequent discount sales compared to MS and Nintendo

During PS4 there were so many indie games. Also their liaison with Sony also left the company to new management. And I remember reading there is unrest in the indie circle over Sony policies some months/year ago. So chances are this is not just all BS but I can't blame Sony for that.

MS with Gamepass should pick everything up if competitors is not upto the task. Makes sense for their model too.

bender

What time is it?
That's not the point. His articles are literally never specifically about games. They're literally only about drama.

Be more precise with your points when being critical of someone. There is more to game coverage then writing reviews. I have no love for Jason either. I think his disdain for his audience, outside of when he's peddling his books, is loathsome.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Be more precise with your points when being critical of someone. There is more to game coverage then writing reviews. I have no love for Jason either. I think his disdain for his audience, outside of when he's peddling his books, is loathsome.

There is a ton of coverage specifically about games that has nothing to do with reviews? like writing news about games. The thing the dude never does, because he's too busy writing an article a week about drama. Gaming journalism isn't limited to reviews and drama. There's a ton more to it.

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Considering I pointed this out a few posts ago in this very thread, I'm pretty sure I'm aware of that fact.

Considering that you kept going back to "he doesn't do reviews" i was starting to do that. NOt only he doesn't do reviews. He doesn't write about games at all. His coverage is pretty much exclusively about drama.

tmlDan

You know what i don't get about this "Journalism" is that they don't do research - its either interviews or recapping a bunch of people on twitter.

You know what real journalism would be? Showing a comparison between the platforms, what they each do specifically for indies and how much they charge to draw real comparisons.

all we get in this guys article is this : "both of which have shown more of a willingness to support and work with indies, the developers say." Cool that tells me nothing so do your job and get more info.

It baffles me how lazy these journalists are.

reinking

Gold Member
Are Nintendo, Xbox, and steam not businesses?

You realize they are not all innocent in this? From Kotaku on Wednesday. Sony's PSN Store Charges Devs At Least $25,000 For Visibility (kotaku.com) which I found interesting that they went with that headline but then included this nugget buried in the article.

"From official paperwork we’ve seen, those fees can reach six figures for just a weekend’s promotion. We’re also told that Microsoft runs similar payment schemes for the Xbox store."

Sony definitely has some hurdles that needs to be removed and they need to get much better about communication and allowing indies to run their own sale pricing. Maybe this attention will lead to better environment for smaller indies developers on the platform.

laynelane

You know what i don't get about this "Journalism" is that they don't do research - its either interviews or recapping a bunch of people on twitter.

You know what real journalism would be? Showing a comparison between the platforms, what they each do specifically for indies and how much they charge to draw real comparisons.

all we get in this guys article is this : "both of which have shown more of a willingness to support and work with indies, the developers say." Cool that tells me nothing so do your job and get more info.

Saying the "...industry has a new villain of the week" tells me we're at tabloid level journalism here.

Remember, they are video game "journalists" so the bar is already quite low for them

fersnake

And consumers should not complain about business practices?
well in this case consumers are not taking a hit by this.

and guys please when you sign in a contract you need to read those little letters. if they dont get the same up time in the store front its because they dont pay for it and they know about it, that's it and that's how they make money too.

you have your pros and cons with sony, ms or nintendo and they knew about it and they choose sony.

bender

What time is it?
Considering that you kept going back to "he doesn't do reviews" i was starting to do that. NOt only he doesn't do reviews. He doesn't write about games at all. His coverage is pretty much exclusively about drama.

You are a vortex of wrong. Almost as impressive as having me defend Jason, lol.

Some drama, some news, some games coverage just in the first 10 articles. There is more to his work than what gets referenced on NeoGAF.

I need another shower. Thanks for that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom