• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony E3 2006 Conference Thread (start at reply ~#1300)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AniHawk

Red Scarlet said:
So what's the bigger OMG? New Revolution name or PS3 price?

PS3 price, definitely. Wii is stupid and will be stupid for a while (such as, forever), but it's Nintendo, and they do that stuff.

PS3 is Sony, and they should fucking know better. They just went with carts.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Red Scarlet said:
PS3 price tag for me, I mean 600 fucking dollars... Wii doesn't hurt my wallet but 600 dollars will fuck, rape and destroy it :(

Wollan

Jonnyram said:
No. It was a fuckup. The only good things there were FFXIII and MGS4. There were a bunch of average first party titles, and some really fucking embarrassing first party titles too, but the third party stuff was not enough. PS3 will only succeed with third party exclusives.

Go you. Just throw the stuff like Heavenly Sword among others out the window. I guess we can turn a blind eye to the free online service and Blu-ray aswell among many other cool aspects.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
just watched the whole conference. The one last year was a little more exciting, but i thought that this year's was pretty good...

i really think they shoulda held off on the price bomb till later. But like Moore said, winning E3 is overrated! And i guess to many Sony already lost.

Red Scarlet said:

The price because it made little sense to release it now, its very un Sony. If they hadn't released that name people would've been more of the thought that its was a decent conference and some games looked impressive and that'd been that. This side tracked the whole conference. I'm not sure what they're doing but they've gotta know somethinge else to pull this out right now. at E3.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
AniHawk said:
The BEST part of the conference (besides MGS4) was the audience collectively knowing that Sony had lost it, and Harrison forcing everyone to clap at every other failure.

:lol :lol yeah that was funny

edit: I also loved Ken and Harison trying to hype up their controller's 4D "secret". "Watch very carefully what happens" - yeah, we've seen that shit and better from Nintendo, next. "It doesn't need a sensor bar" - neither does Nintendo's, next.

Reilly

SolidSnakex said:
The price because it made little sense to release it now, its very un Sony. If they hadn't released that name people would've been more of the thought that its was a decent conference and some games looked impressive and that'd been that. This side tracked the whole conference. I'm not sure what they're doing but they've gotta know somethinge else to pull this out right now. at E3.

By September/October, no one will care about the price anymore.

davepoobond

Reilly said:
By September/October, no one will care about the price anymore.

price isn't even gonna matter that much in the initial months...that thing is gonna sell for like a thousand bucks each provided the mass market hasn't lost all appeal for it

AniHawk

MrSardonic said:
: I also loved Ken and Harison trying to hype up their controller's 4D "secret". "Watch very carefully what happens" - yeah, we've seen that shit and better from Nintendo, next. "It doesn't need a sensor bar" - neither does Nintendo's, next.

Haha, yeah.

Ken: CHECK OUT THIS SHIT WE INVENTED. WATCH CAREFULLY MORONS OR YOU MIGHT MISS IT
Audience: Lemme guess, you stole the idea from nintendo
Ken: HOLY SHIT IT MOVES IN SPACE. ISNT THAT AWESOME?
Phil: SO AWESOME, KEN. YOU ARE TRULY THE MASTER OF INNOVATION.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
wow that was a lame conference....

Well the price don't bother me much, because it was expected looking how much BRD costs and stuff and there is a HD in there. The way I see it PS3 tard pack = Xbox premium, so diffrence is only like $100 and that's the blueray diffrence!

The thing is there where like 00 surprise game anouncements, no WoW or something in that vein. Sure MGS4 looked good aswell did FXIII, but those title how good they may be will do nothing to get my intrest level higher, because well I already knew they where comming and that they probably look good. It's just a stupid conference, poorly planned, boring and to much gameplay of unintresting titles, I mean Gran Turismo HD? Genji 2? WTF where they think showing us that crap!

Heavenly Sword looked great, as did a few other titles, but besides that is was bleh and there clearly again some CG use in trailers again.....8 days anyone?

Oh well maybe the rest of the E3 will make up for this shit!

Deg

Banned
AniHawk said:
PS3 price, definitely. Wii is stupid and will be stupid for a while (such as, forever), but it's Nintendo, and they do that stuff.

PS3 is Sony, and they should fucking know better. They just went with carts.

This is their carts? :lol Prices are always temporary. Besides they arent aiming at pleasing Nintendo fans last i checked ;)

AniHawk said:
Haha, yeah.

Ken: CHECK OUT THIS SHIT WE INVENTED. WATCH CAREFULLY MORONS OR YOU MIGHT MISS IT

:lol I bet Ken & Phil were giggling backstage after the conference like naughty schoolgirls after their fibs.

Listening to the 1UP podcast now.

Vormund

davepoobond said:
i really think they shoulda held off on the price bomb till later.

People keep saying this. WHY? The price is going to have be revealed at some point, and either way it was going to piss people off. It still wouldn't change anything IMO.

davepoobond

AniHawk said:
Haha, yeah.

lmao. i think that it woulda been better to have that instead of the awkward conversation they were having at the actual conference

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
RamzaIsCool said:
The thing is there where like 00 surprise game anouncements, no WoW or something in that vein.

I was surprised by this too. But at least that means there may be more news to come via third parties themselves in the next few days. Not WoW though, but others :p

AniHawk

Deg said:
This is their carts? :lol Prices are always temporary. Besides they arent aiming at pleasing Nintendo fans last i checked ;)

Prices are temporary, but they can really sour things. The price of the Saturn (which sadly seems normal now) was a huge reason not to get it despite its next gen graphics.

senahorse

squicken said:
Shane's not some guy on a message board. He should at least try to act objective.

Yeah I was surprised he is such a Sony fanboy, I thought good journalists sit on the fence, not take a side and get upset when someone doesn't agree with you.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Deg said:
you've been damage controlling for Sony in lots of threads today ;)

Vormund

x3n05 said:
Yeah I was surprised he is such a Sony fanboy, I thought good journalists sit on the fence, not take a side and get upset when someone doesn't agree with you.

Problem is though the objective view is that Sony's presentation sucked. Doesn't make for an interesting podcast.

Jonnyram

Deg said:
Prices are always temporary, but a high launch price followed by a steep drop in price is not going to get a favourable reaction either. Look at the Saturn. You don't slap your early adopters about if you want them to buy your next console.

Zerodoppler said:
Kutaragi was so awesome when they showed off the tilt controller. I've never seen him so happy before.

I liked when he propped himself up using his elbow, with that shit-eating grin as Phil was going on about it. :lol

Reactions from gamespot when Sony conference finally begins....
sonygoeslive764_screen.jpg

Reactions from gamespot when Sone conference has ended....
reaction2225_screen.jpg

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

(Although I'm sure it has been placed here a 100 times already)

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
Jonnyram said:
Prices are always temporary, but a high launch price followed by a steep drop in price

They aren't going to drop for $600 any time soon. The machine obviously costs a lot to manufacture and the R&D costs must also have been substantial. Even when the price does start to fall their competitors are also going to be dropping their prices. The PS3 price point is just way to high for me

Man you can see the gears in Kasavin's head already chugging along while everyone else seems to be stuck in some kind of negative thought limbo. :lol

Deg

Banned
Jonnyram said:
Prices are always temporary, but a high launch price followed by a steep drop in price is not going to get a favourable reaction either. Look at the Saturn. You don't slap your early adopters about if you want them to buy your next console.

They still dont have to drop steep like MS or Nintendo last gen ;)

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
OK, I just spent hours going through this thread from the start of the conference till now. Sure I coulda been doing something productive, but nope, I was reading this. I had accidentally peeked at the first page and the summary so I knew the price and the tilt features of the DS3 early... Soooo I was reading with anticipation of when it would hit the board. And it was just perfect. This thread was pure gold. I shall now go watch 24.

Oh and $600 for the real version... Jesus McFuck! I had thought they'd shock everybody with a low price. So I must say, this crow tastes horrible. But the humor of all this helps it go down nicely. I retract the allegiance I professed in that thread about next gen allegiances. $600. Can't wait till tomorrow!

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
x3n05 said:
good point, afterall it was very entertaining :)

what the fuck?? Shane litterly said plenty of bad things happened at the show. IT WAS SHANE THAT TOLD EVERYBODY THAT THE TARD PACK DIDN'T HAVE HDMI AND WIFI!!!! He also stated that showing GT4HD was a bad idea.

What podcast are you guys listening too?

Matix

mckmas8808 said:
what the fuck?? Shane litterly said plenty of bad things happened at the show. IT WAS SHANE THAT TOLD EVERYBODY THAT THE TARD PACK DIDN'T HAVE HDMI AND WIFI!!!! He also stated that showing GT4HD was a bad idea.

What podcast are you guys listening too?

Soon as Shane said the prices where "REASONABLE", it was GameOver for him.

Lumine

To be honest it feels like everyone has been hyping themselves up like crazy for this conference. No wonder you'll get dissapointed then.

So yeah, the price is a bit high after all, and the games shown were mostly not as impressive as they should have been; but really the whole thing is pretty much exactly what I had expected. Sure I wish I would have been more positvely surprised, but hey.

E-phonk

Banned
I had no expectations and wasn't hyped for anything - and even i'm dissapointed.

I was thinking about a Wii/PS3 combo, but It'll be Wii/xbox360 i'm afraid

I find reactions on non-videogaming boards I frequent very interesting. This post, made on a roleplaying board (pen and paper) seems to summarize the overall reaction pretty well..

Screw that. My kids and I love our PS2. Not a chance in hell we'll be picking up the PS3 until the real console (the one that can actually take memory sticks... ) comes down to the $250-$300 mark. I already think the 360 is too much...$500/$600 for a base system? Gaaah.

On the other hand, my kids'll have a Wii under the tree at Christmas if I have to move heaven and earth to get one. Great move, Sony.

Only hardware enthusiasts, BR anticipators and Sony fanboys seem to be unshaken by the pricepoint, I think PS3 really pushed itself into a rich entertainment niche for the moment and cleared the way for the 360 and even moreso, the Wii..

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Gamespot have video blog impressions from the show, and the playable demos:

http://www.gamespot.com/e3/e3blog.html?topic_id=24600996

Sounds quite impressed by the playable stuff - "amazing" for the first show of playable software on a system, apparently. The whole motion sensing stuff in Warhawk apparently works really well.

I know people are pooped about the price, but the actual initial game impressions coming back seem to be very positive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom