• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Ericsson to unveil PlayStation phones?

artist

Banned
CNET Asia

Well, not quite yet. According to Sony Ericsson's senior vice president of Product and Application Planning, Rikko Sakaguchi, the company "is working on something" (related to the PlayStation phone), although he claims that "the surprise must be kept for the future". Speaking at a media conference in Malmo, Sweden, as part of the company¡¯s upcoming 5th anniversary celebrations in October, Sakaguchi added that the objective was not to create a gaming device but one that integrates both the gaming and communication functions.
PSP2? :)

Tieno

Is the PSP going to have a 10 year lifecycle? Will Sony take care of those in the family?

Wollan

Well my current one is two years old.. Sony Ericsson mobiles are the best. Always the test winners it seems.

This is pretty big news if true.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Could the PSP ever replace your cell phone? "There is a possibility," said Kawanishi. "I won't deny it. Personally, I'm interested in it. Of course, it's not the case that you can connect to wireless LAN everywhere, so you can't call it a permanent connection. But cell phones are permanently connected. Cell phones get more interesting as their data transfer rate increases, and I think it would be extremely interesting to try something like that."

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/730/730140p1.html

Heh...

The cellphone infrastructure is moving in such a way that it would make sense..if you want anywhere wireless access to the net, really the cellphone network is the only choice right now. It's still expensive, but it's getting faster and faster, and it will get cheaper. Where I am at the moment, I was amazed recently to see free streaming of television to mobile phones on the 3g network.

It's hard to tell if ubiquitous wireless LAN will negate the need for this though..maybe in a future device you might see both connectivity options available. That could be pretty great.

Yoboman

That would be cool. The walkman phones are fantastic. If they could launch this to coincide with PSN and a games download service, that would be something.:)

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Wollan said:
Well my current one is two years old.. Sony Ericsson mobiles are the best. Always the test winners it seems.

Sorry, but I'll take some of those Nokias from your neighbours =P

although the new HTC Trinity looks pretty damn swank

Burnst

I don't know. Combining things usually seems like a good idea, but a lot of times it just doesn't work out. By creating a games phone you probably gonna get a half phone / half portable console. Neither is really what you want (N-gage). I mean, I want my phone to be small, so I can always have it with me, but my portable should have a fair size for buttons, screen, etc.

Jack of all trades, master in none is what I mean..

Wollan

Before you run off about a gaming device it seems that it's more about communication. I guess your PlayStation World friendslist will be there and you can check your account and minor stuff like that.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Burnst said:
I don't know. Combining things usually seems like a good idea, but a lot of times it just doesn't work out. By creating a games phone you probably gonna get a half phone / half portable console. Neither is really what you want (N-gage). I mean, I want my phone to be small, so I can always have it with me, but my portable should have a fair size for buttons, screen, etc.

Jack of all trades, master in none is what I mean..

I could see the purpose of incorporating cellphone technology into the system to allow for access to the net anywhere, not just within range of a wifi hotspot. I could see that being the main motivation, as Kawanishi suggests. But once you do that, Sony has to ask itself if it will allow phone functionality also..afterall, the technology would be already there in the machine, so why not? Usually when placed in that situation, Sony adopts the extra functionality.

UltraMagnanimous said:
How about wireless connectivity between PSP and SE Phone to allow online play (or indeed internet access) though your telephone?

That would be interesting. How would they interface? mini-USB? IR (would that have enough bw?)? Few phones have wifi AFAIK, only a couple of smart phone models last I checked.

S. L.

maybe they are just general gaming phones with a PlayStation tag
like the Walkman or Cybershot cellphones

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Using GSM networks to download shit for games (or games themselves, or just playing online) wont work while im still being charged per meg for data transfer.

Plus who wants a phone with a 3 hour battery life?

artist

Banned
S. L. said:
maybe they are just general gaming phones with a PlayStation tag
like the Walkman or Cybershot cellphones
Could be but they need bigger screens. Doesnt the W600 model already plays like a portable? Your guess makes sense.

PSP as a phone just wouldn't work ... way too bulky and the UMD discs ... err no.

If the design was something more like this ...

250x270.jpg

Or some of the new Nokia N series phones, then yeah it might be something cool. Give it camera/MP3/video functionality and built-in storage, and it's something I would consider checking out.

damisa

My family and several cousins have sony ericsson phones and they're TERRIBLE. I'd say out of 10 phones 6 have stopped working and a couple more have weird glitches.

loosus

Banned
Kinda off-topic, but how do cellphones avoid all the interference issues, being able to serve millions upon millions of cellphones simultaneously, whereas if you put even 50 WiFi-enabled device within earshot, you'll have interference problems?

Ckid said:
love sony ericcson phones, my w810 rocks

That's the truth.

SE working on a PSP phone sounds a bit unlikely to me though, and of all the various reasons one could think of I'd probably point to the general lack of cooperation the various departments of Sony have SCE. But who knows, maybe SE can break that barrier.

Caaz

Wollan said:

... HTC does pretty good ones too. I'm pretty satisfied by my 2 years-and-almost-a-half old Smartphone under Windows Mobile 2003, even if the hardware and the software are now quite old. Polyvalent.

Kroole

Crazymoogle said:
SE working on a PSP phone sounds a bit unlikely to me though, and of all the various reasons one could think of I'd probably point to the general lack of cooperation the various departments of Sony have SCE. But who knows, maybe SE can break that barrier.

Yeah it sounds weird that a shared subsidary could access three of Sony's major brand names. Maybe a Bravia phone is next :)

Chittagong

Gold Member
Kroole said:
Yeah it sounds weird that a shared subsidary could access three of Sony's major brand names. Maybe a Bravia phone is next :)

ding ding ding

Sony Ericsson hint at using Wega brand for mobile phones

Posted by Stuart Miles
31 August 2006 - Sony Ericsson has hinted at using Sony's WEGA television branding for its mobile phones geared towards watching television.

"We have plans", Rikko Sakaguchi, Senior Vice President of Product and Application Planning told Pocket-lint at a press conference in Malmo, Sweden.

Mr Sakaguchi who is responsible for new products released by the mobile phone giant, went on to say "It is a very viable idea and it is something we are planning, watch this space".

The comment is the first time the mobile phone company, which already uses Sony's Walkman and Cyber-Shot branding devices on its music and camera phones implied that it was looking to do the same for mobile television focused phones.

However the company ruled out the possibility of launching a handset with a DVB-H tuner that allows you to watch digital television on the go.

The company also suggested that a solution dedicated to watching media on demand was on the cards with the company seeing mobile viewing as the next big thing.

http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news.php?newsId=4539

Furoba

damisa said:
My family and several cousins have sony ericsson phones and they're TERRIBLE. I'd say out of 10 phones 6 have stopped working and a couple more have weird glitches.

Sharp FTW.

IMO, if they'd ever try to fit a UMD drive in a mobile phone, they'd be killing themselves... A large screen, Memory Stick/SD card phone (download games) with the graphics capability of a PSP would be sweet though.
Still remains a question wether they'd manage to give the phone decent controls...

ichigo kurosaki said:
So far they've been using the cybershot and walkman brands. Now wega, then playstation... what's next?

aibo.jpg

believe \o/

:lol I was going to basically say this. Sans the awesome Sony Ericsson Aibo :p

I think the Walkman and Cybershot campaigns have been successful. I'm not so sure about Wega, but PlayStation would certainly be a compelling move. I wonder if Nintendo would feel compelled to further a partnership with Motorola or other manufacturers? Would this lend any more validity and opportunity to Nokia as they continue to create gaming phones?

Top Bottom