• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Has a '10 Year Vision' for Dreams, One of Shuhei Yoshida Favourite Projects Ever.

Psykodad

Banned
It will become a "barely a 1 year vision" if the game bombs :ROFLMAO:
It isn't a game though.
It's a game engine.

The problem with Dreams right now is that it's mostly suitable for small and simple games.
For large projects, MediaMolecule has to address a lot of issues and inconveniences. And I mean, a LOT.

But you can definitely create proper games (or whatever else) and it definitely has the potential to revolutionize the gaming landscape (especially on consoles).

GymWolf

It isn't a game though.
It's a game engine.

The problem with Dreams right now is that it's mostly suitable for small and simple games.
For large projects, MediaMolecule has to address a lot of issues and inconveniences. And I mean, a LOT.

But you can definitely create proper games (or whatever else) and it definitely has the potential to revolutionize the gaming landscape (especially on consoles).
Unfortunately the modern society clean his ass with potential most of the times.
I hope the better for the game but i remain sceptical.

Last edited:

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
It isn't a game though.
It's a game engine.

Yep. Proper games have already been created and play extremely well. At the end of the day though, there will always be a 'yes but' from the dissenters. They'll just keep raising the bar on what they say we think is its potential so they can always say it's not met our expectations. Here we are with a potential revolution in the offing and people still just don't get it. Amazing. There's a chance none of this comes to fruition but it's a small chance.

Last edited:
I had another window up over the title and I read:

Sony Has a '10 Year Vision' for Dream

thought it was:

Sony Has a '10 Year Vision' for Dreamcast™

😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

Azurro

Banned
It's not a game. It's a fully fledged development suite. You'll get it in the end.

There are game development tools out there since a long, long time ago, game engines, IDEs, frameworks, the whole shebang. Dreams will always be extremely limited in what you can make and outdated basically out of the box. It's a waste of time, if you want to make a game, learn how to make one.

Last edited:

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
There are game development tools out there since a long, long time ago, game engines, IDEs, frameworks, the whole shebang. Dreams will always be extremely limited in what you can make and outdated basically out of the box. It's a waste of time, if you want to make a game, learn how to make one.

Dreams will continue to evolve and improve. That's the plan. And people are learning how to make games and doing an amazing job, in Dreams. Maybe if you went searching for the best stuff, as I do, instead of searching for the worse stuff to prove a point, you'd finally understand it. This is EA and people are simply testing the tools. Even though they have been told that it's not guaranteed their creations will carry over to the finished item (because of code changes), some are producing incredible games that could easily be considered for PSN sales.

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned
Dreams will continue to evolve and improve. That's the plan.

It's always going to be limited by it's very nature of what you can build on it vs what you can build on a PC. It's a gigantic waste of time to build a "game maker" tool when there are tons of games coming out every month on every platform already that don't have the enormous limitations dreams will always have. What is the point? Who needs that?

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
It's always going to be limited by it's very nature of what you can build on it vs what you can build on a PC. It's a gigantic waste of time to build a "game maker" tool when there are tons of games coming out every month on every platform already that don't have the enormous limitations dreams will always have. What is the point? Who needs that?

Yeah, who needs a tool that can build PSN games in a year (or less) that would take 2 or 3 years to make on other development kits ... Look, you have to understand that I'm speaking from an informed perspective, have talked to developers already working on making fully fledged games with Dreams and have already playtested and given feedback on many games. Although a lot of them are short, one level or so, the only reason they're not committing to a bigger project is because of MM saying they're not guaranteed to have their game carry over. Most are practising while waiting for the full release.

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned
Yeah, who needs a tool that can build PSN games in a year (or less) that would take 2 or 3 years to make on other development kits ...

Incredibly limited games, sure. I mean, it's not like the release schedule of indie games is barren, especially on PC. Again, why does anyone need this stupid thing?

Anybody serious is going to be using Unity and Unreal, plus software like Blender to make assets. There’s zero chance that Dreams changes that. Zero.

Psykodad

Banned
People in here are ignorant as hell. Lol
Dreams has far more potential than some naysayers claim.

Yep. Proper games have already been created and play extremely well. At the end of the day though, there will always be a 'yes but' from the dissenters. They'll just keep raising the bar on what they say we think is its potential so they can always say it's not met our expectations. Here we are with a potential revolution in the offing and people still just don't get it. Amazing. There's a chance none of this comes to fruition but it's a small chance.
Most of those proper games lack polish though and are rather basic (which isn't necessarily a bad thing).
Dreams, as it is, is very user unfriendly for a large scale project that's being worked on with larger teams and it's full of bugs.
I honestly don't see it releasing before the PS5 release (late 2020) if they want to deliver a product where people can make something more than basic games.

I'll give the critics that much.

Last edited:
This will be lucky to go as far, or slightly farther than Project Spark. Which has a big budget for marketing intially and also was overhyped to the point where interest was low. I barely hear about Dreams now.

Psykodad

Banned
This will be lucky to go as far, or slightly farther than Project Spark. Which has a big budget for marketing intially and also was overhyped to the point where interest was low. I barely hear about Dreams now.
There is little point in promoting Dreams left and right when it's still early access and heavily in development.

Vawn

Banned
You're still seeing it as a game. It's not. That's why people still aren't quite getting it yet.

Yeah, who needs a tool that can build PSN games in a year (or less) that would take 2 or 3 years to make on other development kits ... Look, you have to understand that I'm speaking from an informed perspective

Oh BS. It's a game. You buy it from PSN just like any other game.

Yes, the "game" is making stuff. It is also playing premade stuff and playing stuff other people made. This isn't a new concept.

People who can't create real games without this can make limited stuff. I'm sure some things are pretty neat, just like the stuff a few people come up with in any "build or make stuff" games.

You thinking Dreams is changing how videogames are created is laughable. Wake me up when Naughty Dog, Ubisoft, etc announce "we are building our next game in Dreams". 🤣🤣

Last edited:

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
*Coughs* I get the reason for the hype, but lets not lose our bearings here

Specifically it's in the "Game Creation System," genre, which is different than a developer aimed game engine.

The latest experience from Media Molecule, the award-winning creators of LittleBigPlanet and Tearaway, Dreams is an ever-expanding game universe – exclusive to PS4 – where you explore, experience and play in the limitless imagination of players around the world.

Dreams is a multigame video game and game creation system

A game creation system (GCS) is a consumer-targeted game engine and a set of specialized design tools (and sometimes a light scripting language), engineered for the rapid iteration of user-derived video games.

Unlike more developer-oriented game engines, game creation systems promise an easy entry point for novice or hobbyist game designers, with often little to no coding required for simple behaviors

I could bother some developer friends and see what they think about making games in Dreams, but I highly doubt they're going to hop to Dreams for their development. EDIT: Most have swapped to Unreal, because of the pricing structure, last I talked to them. They weren't as hot on Unity compared to when it first came out
Seems cool for hobbyists and not people trying to make a living off of programming, though

inb4; i'm a naysayer, don't know what i'm talking about, etc

Last edited:

CuNi

I'm still unsure.. Is he talking about a 10 year plan to release the game or 10 year plan after release.. Both seems equally probable. Lul

Top Bottom