• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony has now sold over 600M PlayStation consoles to date

I still rule in favor of the PSP’s supremacy. Ps4 may have cemented me on playstation as a home console over xbox, but the psp was the gateway console that brought me to playstation in the first place.

PSP was a great console. That's when i created my PSN account as well. (i think? i have a feeling by the time the PS3 was released i had it already)

People always talk about how the PSP flopped...but over 80M units for a first portable was a lot when you think about it.
It was not even that far from Xbox 360 and PS3 and it was around the same as the Gameboy Advance and 3DS.

PSP Vita was also way ahead of its time. Imagine releasing a portable device with an OLED screen...in 2011. But Sony had to fuck it all up with those memory sticks.

Shenmuefan2000

Neo Member
PlayStation 2 will always be the greatest console in the history of gaming... The library of games they released during its era from 2000-2008 can not be matched by other Sony systems... Hell every system before 2000 and after ps2's era

Well like 90% of the worlds population own a phone. Only like what?, 3-5% buy a console every gen.

700mil is pretty incredible for 4 and a bit generations.

Agreed, certainly a different market. Just think it's quite impressive that a more expensive device in an uncreated market expanded to such levels in a short period of time. Over 30 years playstation has sold 600 million units and iphone has sold 4x the amount in half the time. Another way to look at it - iPhones/smartphones in general are expensive, near $1k devices today. Yet 90% of the world was able to get one and a sizeable portion upgrades every 1-3 years. Common complaint is that consoles are too expensive. Well actually, the explosion of smartphones shows the money is clearly there, even in not so well off countries. So what will it take for console makers to get that level of penetration? Because video games already have a massive market available through smartphones.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
My contribution:

2 x PlayStation 2
1 x PlayStation 3
3 x PlayStation 4
2 x PlayStation 5
2 or 3 PlayStation Portable

I never owned the first one or Vita.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
yeah why should anyone here give a fuck how successful sony is? i don't give a shit how many consoles they sell or how much money they make. if they make a good product then that's all i care about. if i stood to make/lose money then i'd give a shit about how well sony or any other company is doing.

This may be the dumbest thing I've ever read on GAF this month. It's like asking why are people happy that their favorite NFL team keeps winning championships.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Man I love the PSX. Hands down the best console library of all time as far as I'm concerned.

Sony is great even if they are showing flighty behavior this gen but Sony will always be my go to console of choice.

This may be the dumbest thing I've ever read on GAF this month. It's like asking why are people happy that their favorite NFL team keeps winning championships.

I think he cares more about some companies than others. He admitted that at some point.

Nothing wrong with that BTW. Just don't think he needs to post in threads that he isn't interested in.

And none of this would have happened if Nintendo's Yamauchi hadn't publicly backstabbed Sony at the very last minute at CES 1991.

So thanks Yamauchi-san, ya dumb arrogant sonuvabitch :messenger_smiling_horns:

They tried knifing Nintendo first, silly. They badgered them into the deal, saying they wouldn't use the drive for software with a crossed finger in the back.

Their first PlayStation would have come at Nintendo's expense with the deal.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Damn, no wonder they're gluing chopped up DualSenses to tablets instead of doing a normal handheld. Those Vita numbers are pitiful.

Such a shame, it's a great little handheld that makes me wish for a modern version of it.

Bernoulli

M2 slut
Lmao, did the PS5 not fit into their infographic, or why is it missing?
CdkUAYX.jpg

Unknown?

PSP was a great console. That's when i created my PSN account as well. (i think? i have a feeling by the time the PS3 was released i had it already)

People always talk about how the PSP flopped...but over 80M units for a first portable was a lot when you think about it.
It was not even that far from Xbox 360 and PS3 and it was around the same as the Gameboy Advance and 3DS.

PSP Vita was also way ahead of its time. Imagine releasing a portable device with an OLED screen...in 2011. But Sony had to fuck it all up with those memory sticks.
The sticks sucked, but let's be real, that isn't the sole reason that doomed it. It was the rise of mobile gaming and 3DS needed a HUGE price drop to even get off the ground.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Damn, no wonder they're gluing chopped up DualSenses to tablets instead of doing a normal handheld. Those Vita numbers are pitiful.

Such a shame, it's a great little handheld that makes me wish for a modern version of it.

This is the part many people who want a Portable PS4 seem to forget. The Vita obviously made Sony not try the handheld market anymore.

Top Bottom