• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Is Allegedly In Preliminary Talks To Bring Helldivers 2 To Xbox Series X|S

Topher

Gold Member
You're falling for the shell game here. Microsoft has taken to interchangeably using the words 'Xbox' and 'Microsoft Gaming' depending on what looks better at the moment.

What you are referring to is actually Microsoft Gaming revenue, of which gamepass is %15. This entails revenue that is coming from all their past studio and publisher acquisitions on all platforms (key word here imo) + Xbox-related revenues (hardware+software royalties etc) etc.

What are you basing this on?

Last edited:

Bernoulli

M2 slut
What are you basing this on?

10CnJjF.jpeg

Topher

Gold Member
If Xbox sales were going strong they'd announce them specifically? Instead the ecosystem has been a black box for over a decade rn. Companies never ever hide good news from investors and consumers.

Sometimes you have to read between the lines, especially when you're dealing with used car salesmen like Spencer.

Eh.....perhaps but to be clear I'm not suggesting software sales are strong for Xbox.

Astray

Gold Member
Eh.....perhaps but to be clear I'm not suggesting software sales are strong for Xbox.
I know you didn't, but this shellgame is ridiculously pervasive and effective across all gaming media.

To me, ever since Kyle Bosman pointed out how Phil is introduced differently to different audiences (LINK), I've been very cognizant whenever I read Spencer comments or interviews to try my best to delineate between Xbox and Microsoft Gaming, because one of the two feels like it's in its death throes, and the other feels like it's on a path to thrive if/when they get their shit together, and talking about the two like they are one just confuses matters and makes discussions about the true size of Xbox as a community and ecosystem impossible.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I know you didn't, but this shellgame is ridiculously pervasive and effective across all gaming media.

To me, ever since Kyle Bosman pointed out how Phil is introduced differently to different audiences (LINK), I've been very cognizant whenever I read Spencer comments or interviews to try my best to delineate between Xbox and Microsoft Gaming, because one of the two feels like it's in its death throes, and the other feels like it's on a path to thrive if/when they get their shit together, and talking about the two like they are one just confuses matters and makes discussions about the true size of Xbox as a community and ecosystem impossible.
He got recently promoted. He's not introduced differently. Sarah Bond got Phil's old job, and Phil now oversees MS Gaming which covers all platforms, including mobile.

Last edited:

Astray

Gold Member
He got recently promoted. He's not introduced differently. Sarah Bond got Phil's old job, and Phil now oversees MS Gaming which covers all platforms, including mobile.
Clip was made immediately after the infamous Redfall XCast interview (disastrous podcast btw), the reorg of Microsoft gaming happened much later (9 months iirc).

Before the reorg, he WAS being introduced differently: Microsoft Gaming on Bloomberg, Xbox on Twitter and Gaming media.

Last edited:

yurinka

No, Microsoft simply removed "Xbox" from the name of their gaming division (now it's Microsoft Gaming) some time ago, pretty likely due to the failure of the Xbox brand and because they have been moving their focus out of their console. But some people still continue calling it Xbox Gaming.

Phil Spencer continues doing the same job than before, but his job title before was "Head of Xbox" and now is "CEO of Microsoft Gaming".

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
No, Microsoft simply removed "Xbox" from the name of their gaming division (now it's Microsoft Gaming) some time ago, pretty likely due to the failure of the Xbox brand and because they have been moving their focus out of their console. But some people still continue calling it Xbox Gaming.

Phil Spencer continues doing the same job than before, but his job title before was "Head of Xbox" and now is "CEO of Microsoft Gaming".
Sarah Bond is now president of Xbox. So it's not like the word "Xbox" has been removed. Seems fairly logical that they have more going on than just Xbox, so they need someone to oversee a tier above that. King isn't on Xbox at all so it just makes more sense to call it Microsoft Gaming. At least that's how I interpreted it.

Hudo

Well, the Levenshtein distance from CEO of Microsoft Gaming to CEO of Microsoft is smaller than from Head of Xbox to CEO of Microsoft.

Astray

Gold Member
Sarah Bond is now president of Xbox. So it's not like the word "Xbox" has been removed. Seems fairly logical that they have more going on than just Xbox, so they need someone to oversee a tier above that. King isn't on Xbox at all so it just makes more sense to call it Microsoft Gaming. At least that's how I interpreted it.
The way I personally see it is: Xbox got demoted as a strategic interest for Microsoft, it's now not a division, it's a department that can be closed or consolidated into other departments without much loss of money or personnel, kinda sucks for Bond (she doesn't come across as a bad person tbh), but her job security is actually the most fragile amongst the current big 3 of MS gaming (Spencer Booty and Bond).

RedC

The way I personally see it is: Xbox got demoted as a strategic interest for Microsoft, it's now not a division, it's a department that can be closed or consolidated into other departments without much loss of money or personnel, kinda sucks for Bond (she doesn't come across as a bad person tbh), but her job security is actually the most fragile amongst the current big 3 of MS gaming (Spencer Booty and Bond).
Instead of Spencer Booty and Bond, perhaps it may be better if Spencer Bond with Booty.

Joke Shade GIF by Desus & Mero

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Without a doubt Xbox is a lower tier than Microsoft Gaming as a whole. Xbox could completely vanish as a console and they'd still be possibly the largest publisher on PS in the whole industry and have a large mobile presence. I don't think anyone thinks Xbox as a hardware platform is growing in strength right now. Bond is basically in charge of overseeing what is probably the last Xbox generation. I'm sure she'll probably get promoted to some adjacent position in the future.

Astray

Gold Member
Without a doubt Xbox is a lower tier than Microsoft Gaming as a whole. Xbox could completely vanish as a console and they'd still be possibly the largest publisher on PS in the whole industry and have a large mobile presence. I don't think anyone thinks Xbox as a hardware platform is growing in strength right now. Bond is basically in charge of overseeing what is probably the last Xbox generation. I'm sure she'll probably get promoted to some adjacent position in the future.
I don't think anyone gets promoted for stuff like that tbh. She's gonna be generally fine because other publishers like EA or Ubisoft would probably hire her or something.

But it does feel like she's been set-up to 'fail' and be the face that would announce it to people.

yurinka

Well, the Levenshtein distance from CEO of Microsoft Gaming to CEO of Microsoft is smaller than from Head of Xbox to CEO of Microsoft.
Their game division name got changed from Xbox Gaming to Microsoft Gaming, so as I said Xbox was removed from its name. Their internal development team was also rebranded from

Phil Spencer job title was changed from "Head of Xbox" to "CEO of Microsoft Gaming", while in both cases he also is Executive Vice President of Gaming at Microsoft.

Sarah Bond was promoted from Corporate Vice President of Xbox to President of Xbox.

So yes, they continue using Xbox in Sara's job title, and also keep using it for their consoles and their development team, which 5 years ago was rebranded from Microsoft Game Studios to Xbox Game Studios.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I don't think anyone gets promoted for stuff like that tbh. She's gonna be generally fine because other publishers like EA or Ubisoft would probably hire her or something.

But it does feel like she's been set-up to 'fail' and be the face that would announce it to people.
I don't see it as a failure really. She's getting valuable experience. They're going to see how she manages Xbox marketing events, hardware launches, interviews and messaging to fans. Anyway, it's not really a big concern of mine either way. They're probably hoping she'll eventually get the skills to maybe replace Phil in 5 years when he actually retires, because I don't think she's there yet or capable of messaging as well as he does.

Hudo

Their game division name got changed from Xbox Gaming to Microsoft Gaming, so as I said Xbox was removed from its name. Their internal development team was also rebranded from

Phil Spencer job title was changed from "Head of Xbox" to "CEO of Microsoft Gaming", while in both cases he also is Executive Vice President of Gaming at Microsoft.

Sarah Bond was promoted from Corporate Vice President of Xbox to President of Xbox.

So yes, they continue using Xbox in Sara's job title, and also keep using it for their consoles and their development team, which 5 years ago was rebranded from Microsoft Game Studios to Xbox Game Studios.
If we apply the Jaro-Winkler distance, the distance between CEO of Microsoft Gaming to CEO of Microsoft is even smaller than from Head of Xbox to CEO of Microsoft.

When most multiplatform games end with a 80 to 20 sales ratio between PS5 and Series consoles, it dosent seem Sony would care much when some 3rd party games already skip Xbox for the same reasons. When Sony talks about multiplatform releases they talking about Playstation consoles + PC + Mobile.
It would make more sense if these rumors was about Sony releasing games on Switch, that has a huge playerbase. But thats not where the console warriors come from so you wount see those rumors.
Normally I'd agree with you but Helldivers is the type of game people on Xbox like. If we were talking about Concrete Genie, Astrobot or Gravity Rush id be right there with you.

Aenima

Normally I'd agree with you but Helldivers is the type of game people on Xbox like. If we were talking about Concrete Genie, Astrobot or Gravity Rush id be right there with you.
Just physical copies from the UK, but no matter the genre the sales splits this gen has been embarassing on xbox. All the Gamepass push just ended making xbox players buy less games.

COD Modern Warfare 3
"80 percent of boxed sales were on PlayStation, with 20 percent on Xbox."

https://www.eurogamer.net/call-of-duty-modern-warfare-3-uk-boxes-sales-down-25-on-last-year

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I hope this is true and it happens.

Sure I won't buy a PS5 (to be honest I've been leaning in this direction since the PC ports became more numerous) but I would still be supporting Sony with the real money makers....which is software, not hardware.

I already have most of the Sony PC ports and if they are willing to throw Xbox a bone...then this bodes well for PC in the near future.

Just physical copies from the UK, but no matter the genre the sales splits this gen has been embarassing on xbox. All the Gamepass push just ended making xbox players buy less games.

COD Modern Warfare 3
"80 percent of boxed sales were on PlayStation, with 20 percent on Xbox."

https://www.eurogamer.net/call-of-duty-modern-warfare-3-uk-boxes-sales-down-25-on-last-year
Yea that doesn't surprise me considering the Series S has generally outsold the Series X and not all SX users buy physical. Xbox is probably the worst console for physical games right now.

Megatron

Damn, you really did it, and posting an article written more than a month ago.

When Helldivers 2 is still selling gang busters and Stellar Blade is the #1 pre-ordered game.
So what, you think all those people cancelled their pre orders or something?do you only play one game a year? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

jwaxeman

People are really taking “Xbox needs to go multi plat because nobody is buying an Xbox” and trying to pretend PlayStation is having the same issue. PlayStation has one issue, and it’s true that everyone does, and that is that triple A first party games cost too much to make. That doesn’t mean they’re going to port games to a far less popular console.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
People are really taking “Xbox needs to go multi plat because nobody is buying an Xbox” and trying to pretend PlayStation is having the same issue. PlayStation has one issue, and it’s true that everyone does, and that is that triple A first party games cost too much to make. That doesn’t mean they’re going to port games to a far less popular console.
This has been the theme this entire generation -- conflating Xbox's problems with PlayStation and Nintendo, or vice versa, as per their needs.
  • "Xbox didn't have current-gen exclusive for 2 years." -- This generation barely started (even though PS had next-gen exclusive games from day one).
  • "Xbox X|S didn't sell as much." -- It's because of the console shortage! (only PS was facing the supply issue. X|S had demand issues).
  • "Xbox going multiplatform." -- PlayStation is also going multiplatform because exclusives suddenly aren't viable anymore.

eerik9000

Folks think Microsoft tanking their console sales and focusing on multi-platform publishing is some sort of a genius business move that every other platform owner needs to follow. Many have exposed them of not just being "Xbox fans" but rather being cocksuckers for a greedy soulless corporation. Most of them are probably too stupid and poor to even own any stock in Microsoft to have it benefit them in any meaningful way.

Top Bottom