• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Is Allegedly In Preliminary Talks To Bring Helldivers 2 To Xbox Series X|S

truth411

Honestly if it were true, I don't see the problem. Didn't sony say that they were going to release there Live/GAAS Games to multiple platforms?

Their AAA Single Player games will always be Console Exclusive.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
That's the thing, why would you want to even try to help your competitor who said they want to destroy you? How much is that worth?

Publicly traded company has a duty to shareholders to maximize profits, regardless of past issues. Plus lets be honest, likely they are more concerned with making thier personal bonus (which added revenue over projections) really helps.

THE DUCK

I think there is a reason Phil is head of MicroSoft gaming and not Xbox Gaming (to be honest that used car salesman shouldn't be head of anything).
There will come a time that the handouts will stop. Caped Baldy is focusing on profits, like the new PS guy.

Maybe, maybe not. Certainly there hasn't been any idications yet that the purse strings are cut. In fact, the Activision purchase shows the opposite, and they knew it would take many, many years to get that money back. I'd still say they are interested in a comanding positions in the market, even if it takes 10-15 years and more investment.

THE DUCK

one game bought outside your storefront = 0 Millions

Your math is fuzzy, the whole thread is about bringing it to xbox or not. You have 2 groups of gamers - ones who have PC's and or PS5's already, who likely have bought the game. Then you have a group of xbox owners who only own an xbox console. Current sales to those people = $0
Current sales to those people if you don't bring out the game = $0 (yay, we get to keep 100% of nothing)
Potential sales to those people if you do: Millions in revenue you would not have had otherwise. (70% of actual sales increases)

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
If xbox is indeed bringing steam to xbox than it doesnt matter wither way. Sony will lose all exclusivity.

Games don’t magically run on Xbox. It will be a technology nightmare, with Xbox having the worst versions of steam games. Sony would not let this happen for their games.

Last edited:

Fabieter

Your math is fuzzy, the whole thread is about bringing it to xbox or not. You have 2 groups of gamers - ones who have PC's and or PS5's already, who likely have bought the game. Then you have a group of xbox owners who only own an xbox console. Current sales to those people = $0
Current sales to those people if you don't bring out the game = $0 (yay, we get to keep 100% of nothing)
Potential sales to those people if you do: Millions in revenue you would not have had otherwise. (70% of actual sales increases)

But one takes an investment, manpower and time. This game dont need more player rn. Its in dire need to 100% focus on more content. Its not worth it rn.

nial

Gold Member
IGN said this in Feb of 2024 - "Microsoft usually keeps its numbers under wraps, but with Take-Two’s information in mind, we can estimate that Xbox Series X | S sales sit at around 27 million units sold".
With how little they've sold since February across NA and Europe, with an userbase that is buying less and less software, I don't see the incentive to invest in a Xbox port.

If xbox is indeed bringing steam to xbox than it doesnt matter wither way. Sony will lose all exclusivity.
First off, I would very surprised if Steam were on the next Xbox, for a multitude of reasons. And if it were, I highly doubt Sony would allow their own own Steam games be available on Xbox. Just like with GeForce Now, Sony would surely implement some kind block for their own games on Xbox. Not to mention, Sony is almost surely opening up their own PC launcher in next couple years

Fabieter

Games don’t magically run on Xbox. It will be a technology nightmare, with Xbox having the worst versions of steam games. Sony would not let this happen for their games.

What will they do about it? It would be a pc game running on a xbox console.

THE DUCK

But one takes an investment, manpower and time. This game dont need more player rn. Its in dire need to 100% focus on more content. Its not worth it rn.

A game as good as this one, by all accounts, would sell in the millions on xbox. Considering the similarity of ps5 and pc hardware, a port would be relatively cheap and quick. If it were different architecture or some sort of code that wouldn't run easily, I could agree more easily on passing.

Fabieter

A game as good as this one, by all accounts, would sell in the millions on xbox. Considering the similarity of ps5 and pc hardware, a port would be relatively cheap and quick. If it were different architecture or some sort of code that wouldn't run easily, I could agree more easily on passing.

I dont even say passing but rn adding two skus into the mix is a bad idea. Maybe in a year or two when the roadmap hit the other platforms and they can guarantee steady flow of content.

Topher

Gold Member
Publicly traded company has a duty to shareholders to maximize profits, regardless of past issues.

Ultimately, yes, but along the way the executives have to make decisions that lead to profits in the long term, as well as short term. "Past issues" between companies, especially direct rivals, have to be taken into consideration. Shareholders want profits, but they also want the executives to make wise choices, even when short term profits have to sacrificed. We have to remember that PlayStation is a much more sizable chunk of Sony than Xbox is of Microsoft.

Current sales to those people if you don't bring out the game = $0 Current sales to those people if you do: Millions in revenue you would not have had otherwise.
you don't understand the propuse of first party then.

From a pragmatic point of view they are not meant to make money in the first place. They are used to market your videogame console. make it more appealing to consumers thus growing your market share to entice third party publishers to release games on it, making more money from that 30% cut.

Xbox is in a weak position, the amount of revenue is not worth it and it would be contraproductive.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
Honestly if it were true, I don't see the problem. Didn't sony say that they were going to release there Live/GAAS Games to multiple platforms?
I think they meant PS5 and PC. Sony still needs to sell consoles.

Microsoft bringing Steam to Xbox makes no sense and would be incredibly dumb.

Would anyone buy a 3rd party game from the Xbox marketplace if Steam is an option?
Would anyone buy a 3rd party game on Steam when they can get it for free on gamepass?
Is Steam going to give up a portion of their 30% or whatever it is to Microsoft? Why would they do that? Until Gabe starts murdering orphans, Steam doesn't need Xbox.

Publicly traded company has a duty to shareholders to maximize profits, regardless of past issues. Plus lets be honest, likely they are more concerned with making thier personal bonus (which added revenue over projections) really helps.
If they start cannibalizing their own console sales with another, their shareholders will not be very happy. Not saying they won't bring games to Xbox - they almost certainly will. But the fact that Sony is still a successful console Manufacturer makes this a lot more complicated for them.

Last edited:

Fabieter

I think they meant PS5 and PC. Sony still needs to sell consoles.

Microsoft bringing Steam to Xbox makes no sense and would be incredibly dumb.

Would anyone buy a 3rd party game from the Xbox marketplace if Steam is an option?
Would anyone buy a 3rd party game on Steam when they can get it for free on gamepass?
Is Steam going to give up a portion of their 30% or whatever it is to Microsoft? Why would they do that? Until Gabe starts murdering orphans, Steam doesn't need Xbox.

Who says steam need xbox? If anything it would help steam sell more games and make their console more desirable.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
Who says steam need xbox? If anything it would help steam sell more games and make their console more desirable.
My point is Steam does not need Xbox.

Here's a scenario. If you had Steam running on your xbox, and you had the option of getting the next Assassin's Creed game free with Gamepass or for $80 on Steam. Where are you getting it?

Fabieter

My point is Steam does not need Xbox.

Here's a scenario. If you had Steam running on your xbox, and you had the option of getting the next Assassin's Creed game free with Gamepass or for $80 on Steam. Where are you getting it?

Wdym? That's already possible on pc. I choose to buy my games despite the possibility of using gamepass. It would still benefit both companies somewhat without them loosing that much.

if Play station fucks around and finds out Sony will be in trouble, Xbox in trouble? MS spents 100B like it's poop.

Understand that Xbox could have ended after the 360 generation. Microsoft subsidizing Xbox's ongoing failure in a market that isn't big enough to sustain both consoles has artificially created a situation where "competition" is not feasible

I would find it funny if a Sony dev releases some game on Xbox and it’s the best version and the only game that uses the 12TF. Just to watch the world burn.

Mr Moose

Maybe, maybe not. Certainly there hasn't been any idications yet that the purse strings are cut. In fact, the Activision purchase shows the opposite, and they knew it would take many, many years to get that money back. I'd still say they are interested in a comanding positions in the market, even if it takes 10-15 years and more investment.
I think that could be why the higher ups would step in now, they have started releasing games on their rival after that. You don't spend 80B and not want to see returns.

Last edited:

yurinka

Sony acquired Bungie after Destiny was already on every platform. There's agreements and such being honored that obviously do not apply to any other property Sony owns - in this case Helldivers. It ain't coming to Xbox, sorry man. Buy a PS5 or decent PC.
Regarding Destiny 2 yes, made sense to keep it where it was and to keep updating it in all platforms. But Sony decided to apply it to all existing and future Bungie IPs and games, which are all of them now owned by Sony, They will also be day one on PC and rival consoles without even a timed exclusivity or content. The only reason being that Sony wants to continue making money in rival platforms including rival cconsoles via Bungie.

Regarding PS Studios titles like Helldivers 2, they'll continue being console exclusive.
Bungie is also operating as a completely separate entity (for now, will probably change in the future given how much they keep missing their projections)
Not the case at all. Bungie isn't operating as a completely separate entity, it's a fully owned SIE subsidiary and ike any subsidiary, they must stick to the strategy and orders from their bosses and owners, SIE.

The thing is that Sony wants to get money from all gaming platforms but without putting the PS Studios games in rival consoles, so they kept Bungie as separate publishing label of PS Studios to contine publishing Bungie games in all platforms day one. Other than that, they also have creative freedom, like the PS Studios teams.

Last edited:

Denorion

Neo Member
Why would they? Nobody owns an Xbox outside of the us. And the poor souls who own one dont but any games because gamepass. Still, they are missing out on this game so i hope more people can play it.
The only way I can see this happening is Totoki being dumb enough, and thinking it's a great way to boost profits in the short term
But even he would know that the main income of the playstation division is the 30% cut of every third party sale, and wouldn't want to compromise console sales to reduce those

RCU005

SIE should focus on three things:

1) Keep making single player exclusive games that became the most popular since PS3 (but have been around since PS1).
2) Bring their most successful games to PC to try to convince players to also get a PlayStation console.
3) Whatever live service game they have, make it Multiplatform (PC, Xbox, Nintendo, mobile, etc).

SIE should focus on three things:

1) Keep making single player exclusive games that became the most popular since PS3 (but have been around since PS1).
yep
2) Bring their most successful games to PC to try to convince players to also get a PlayStation console.
on their PC storefront first.
3) Whatever live service game they have, make it Multiplatform (PC, Xbox, Nintendo, mobile, etc).
no Xbox/Nintendo.

make specific games for each market segment.

Mobile: Fremium MTXs/ads
PC: Multiplayer/community driven.
Console (Only PlayStation): Single-player high production values. Goty and all of that

If Sony is serious about PC. They definitely need their own Storefront. (that's the endgame). Is too soon to talk about mobile in this regard.

Killjoy-NL

No like any big cooperation. Those people make mistakes and mistakes from executives can kill companies and yes sony fucked up several times in the past in multiple divisions.
We're talking Playstation though. The Playstation 4 'saved' Sony and currently they're carrying the console industry.

Time will tell.

Shut0wen

Valve have said it. Twice. Riot Games have said it. Nintendo's said it.

OK, so that's why. Guess MLB had the leverage in that situation after all.

While it probably would be more lucrative for SSD to do a football (soccer) game with the FIFA license, they may not want to/could be more used to baseball. And Sony probably don't want to create waves with EA in a rival soccer series.

But that's all just for the mobile market. Nothing's been enforced on the console market AFAIK and even if it were, it'd only pertain to EU nations and the games in those territories, not globally.
Its been hinted itll soon be all digital marketplaces and a majority of companys change there trade policys to do business in the eu unless your china lmao

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Dungeons And Dragons Reaction GIF by Alpha

Astray

Gold Member
How is that true when less than 15% of Xbox game revenue comes from Game Pass?
You're falling for the shell game here. Microsoft has taken to interchangeably using the words 'Xbox' and 'Microsoft Gaming' depending on what looks better at the moment.

What you are referring to is actually Microsoft Gaming revenue, of which gamepass is %15. This entails revenue that is coming from all their past studio and publisher acquisitions on all platforms (key word here imo) + Xbox-related revenues (hardware+software royalties etc) etc.

What the Pop Pop is talking about is the software sales revenue on Xbox consoles (basically Royalties for 3P+ %100 on all their 1P sales on the platform). Those are clearly not up to par, hence the going 3p plan that's happening rn.

Top Bottom