• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony is officially helping with funding and development with Shenmue 3

Walpurgis

Banned
I'm kinda confused with the wording from last night.
Boyes wanted to make it 'very clear' that this was a separate product, that Sony was not involved with - only using the stage to raise awareness.

Then the game got its' $2M, and now we learn Sony is co-funding development. So essentially, Sony - a multi-billion dollar corporation - just asked its' own fans for $2 million dollars. Instead of you know, putting up the money themselves.

Clearly they believed in Shenmue enough to give it stage presence - they knew the Kickstarter would go through. But they didn't believe enough to actually fully fund the thing.

You're right, it is strange how they made that distinction last night but are jumping in now. Personally, I don't really care and prefer the game to have proper Sony funding instead of the $10 or whatever it would have gotten off Kickstarter. Now I think we can expect a budget of $20-30 million. The Witcher 3 cost $35 million to develop so this should be good for everyone. What they did is still weird though.

border

Then the game got its' $2M, and now we learn Sony is co-funding development. So essentially, Sony - a multi-billion dollar corporation - just asked its' own fans for $2 million dollars. Instead of you know, putting up the money themselves.

Clearly they believed in Shenmue enough to give it stage presence - they knew the Kickstarter would go through. But they didn't believe enough to actually fully fund the thing.

Kickstarter is just a marketing stunt for a lot of projects. It's also a convenient excuse to get hundreds or perhaps thousands of dollars out of whale-fans while delivering them relatively little in return.

The recent Pebble Time Kickstarter was probably the most transparent marketing/pre-order stunt I can recall.

Aenima

What I don't understand - Where is Sega in all of this? Did Sega sell the license?

Sega have licence of Shenmue 1 and 2, they gave Shenmue 3 licence to Yu Suzuki. Basicacly it looks like Sega told, nah we are not funding that so take the lincense and try it your luck elsewhere.

kuroshiki

Time does weird things. Nobody wanted to fund Shenmue, not even Sega, to the point they let Yu use the IP if he can get funding.....and here we are.

Sony said it was the most requested 3rd party game series for Playstation, and they actually listened!

Shenmue has a special place in my heart, but then then there is the long diehards who never gave up, a piece of ourselves, this is how anyone who loved Shenmue at least one time in their life must have felt before fighting back tears of joy:
a2e596e839080704143fe0115408d8d7.jpg

Seriously, holy shit, Shenmue 3 is actually happening guys and it still all feels like a dream.

Yeah bro. It's incredible for sure. Sony actually listen its fans. May their good will repay them with a lot of fortune.

haigo

Really not a fan of this approach.

This is the way I see it.

35,000 people contributed to the Kickstarter campaign. This essentially means that there are at least that amount of people willing to buy the game. That in addition to the growing user base of the ps4, you end up with a formula that if 5% of the ps4 user base purchases the game, ensures the development is worth it.

It's either that, or no game at all.

Arkam

I am happy that the fans are getting their game.

I just don't like Sony's approach and manipulation of the situation. It is pretty clear there was a deal before this (E3 time is not just given away) and they just did not want to look like they had their hand out to their fans.

Only a child (not a bright one) would call that manipulation. This was pretty obvious immediately what was happening.

Sony did good, deal with it.

hawk2025

If Sony created the Kickstarter they would have taken heat for looking like they were holding the game hostage until fans coughed up the cash. That is why they did not do it.

Bringing out the creator and making him the focus is great PR and marketing on their part but a clear manipulation of the fan base.

Shenmue fans are deservedly excited and I am glad they (hopefully) get the game they were waiting for. It still doesn't excuse the manipulation by Sony.

People have 31 days to react to this "manipulation" if they wish to do so. I'm only seeing the counter going up.

This argument is ridiculous. 90% of games presented are shown by the devs involved, and not the publisher behind it.

Walpurgis

Banned
I'm baffled that people think Shenmue doesn't have enough "fan support" and not be popular to get a third game.

First game sold over a million a console that was dead when the PS2 was announced.
Ryo was included in Sonic All-Star racing
People voted for Ryo to be included in Sonic All-Star Racing Transformed and made it in as DLC as the number 1 voted character. And buying the DLC hoping that Sega would make a new game.
Shenmue 1 and 2 where one of the games that people wanted as the Dreamcast collection and being rumored.

I'm pretty sure this game is popular enough to justify a sequel. It's just Sega is cheap. If they wanted to test to see if people will pitch in for a sequel, they would have released a HD collection instead which Sega failed to do. Or announced the kickstarter and announce a Shenmue HD collection and be free for people who backed it up at a set price and announced Shenmue 3 being funded by Sony. Getting half off simply isn't going to work when there people who properly paid more than buying the system and game together.

Everybody would have been happy and this discussion wouldn't exist.

Just looking at the sales, I can understand why people might think that it wouldn't have enough fan support or be popular enough for a third entry. However, Sega should have looked beyond the sales because the Shenmue hype went way past that. Shenmue joined The Last Guardian, Final Fantasy Versus XIII and Final Fantasy VII remake as one of the most requested games on the internet (Shenmue was probably first). I can't believe it took this long for this to happen.

LaMeRz

You keep using the word "manipulation," I just do not think that it is this great conspiracy you are making it out to be. We are not even sure Sony is the publisher of this on PS4, they are just backing the project. Hell, Sony doesn't even have the right to put up a Kickstarter on this game. It would be like me starting a Syphon Filter Kickstarter and saying once I have backing, I am sure the original creator will be on board.

We have been alive for the past 14 years (and more), that is why.

It is not a great conspiracy. Just a conspiracy.

Sony owned Amplitude yet still had the developers run through a Kickstarter. At least that Kickstarter page explained that Sony owned the IP so that is why it had to be exclusive to Playstation.

kevm3

If you feel so deceived, stop complaining, retract your donation and move on with life. That simple.

And no, this isn't an 'interest-free' loan. You get a game at the end of that, and for possibly half off what you would normally pay.

Time does weird things. Nobody wanted to fund Shenmue, not even Sega, to the point they let Yu use the IP if he can get funding.....and here we are.

Sony said it was the most requested 3rd party game series for Playstation, and they actually listened!

Shenmue has a special place in my heart, but then then there is the long diehards who never gave up, a piece of ourselves, this is how anyone who loved Shenmue at least one time in their life must have felt before fighting back tears of joy:
a2e596e839080704143fe0115408d8d7.jpg

Seriously, holy shit, Shenmue 3 is actually happening guys and it still all feels like a dream.

Wait most requested? More so than FF7 remake?

Simo

They already have HD ports ready for the PS3/360(just never released). Just a matter of touching them up a little bit and put it on current gen.

I thought Shenmue used licensed technology from a company that folded that Sega can't remember who that was and thus was an issue for remasters?

I'd love for a re-release though. I have my original copies but no Dreamcast console. lol

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
It is not a great conspiracy. Just a conspiracy.

Sony owned Amplitude yet still had the developers run through a Kickstarter. At least that Kickstarter page explained that Sony owned the IP so that is why it had to be exclusive to Playstation.

Wait...you are saying Sony was like *nudge nudge* "Hey Hamonix, but up a Kickstarter for a new Amplitude so we can get as much money from these fools as possible before we completely fund your game for you, because we were obviously going to do that from the very beginning."

Jesus Christ.

LaMeRz

Only a child (not a bright one) would call that manipulation. This was pretty obvious immediately what was happening.

Sony did good, deal with it.

If it was obvious the Shenmue Kickstarter thread wouldn't be filled with people claiming Sony had no involvement from the starter.

Also resorting to calling me an unbright child. How uncouth of you sir.

LaMeRz

Wait...you are saying Sony was like *nudge nudge* "Hey Hamonix, but up a Kickstarter for a new Amplitude so we can get as much money from these fools as possible before we completely fund your game for you, because we were obviously going to do that from the very beginning."

Jesus Christ.

I don't have a problem with the Amplitude Kickstarter because they were upfront and transparent about the situation. Is Shenmue had the same thing and from the beginning Sony was involved then most of the pages of this thread wouldn't exist.

I know right?

It went from being what we were told was 'niche' and with 'crazy fans' to basically the biggest news in gaming.

It's nice that I can talk about the future of Shenmue now without being met with a barrage of posts stating why it's never going to happen and how dead it is.

Good to have confirmation. (not that it was in doubt)

Hopefully Sony matches two dollars for every KS dollar! $30m budget here we come!

Faustek

I'm baffled that people think Shenmue doesn't have enough "fan support" and not be popular to get a third game.

First game sold over a million a console that was dead when the PS2 was announced.
Ryo was included in Sonic All-Star racing
People voted for Ryo to be included in Sonic All-Star Racing Transformed and made it in as DLC as the number 1 voted character. And buying the DLC hoping that Sega would make a new game.
Shenmue 1 and 2 where one of the games that people wanted as the Dreamcast collection and being rumored.

I'm pretty sure this game is popular enough to justify a sequel. It's just Sega is cheap. If they wanted to test to see if people will pitch in for a sequel, they would have released a HD collection instead which Sega failed to do. Or announced the kickstarter and announce a Shenmue HD collection and be free for people who backed it up at a set price and announced Shenmue 3 being funded by Sony. Getting half off simply isn't going to work when there people who properly paid more than buying the system and game together.

Everybody would have been happy and this discussion wouldn't exist.

You are mistaking the "hard core" with the casual. "The casual" are the ones in majority but often not heard. Also, didn't II need to sell like 18m to break even? Anyway, it didn't even come close to break even.

Oi, it's getting to be a person can't have an opposing opinion around here without being labeled a fanboy.

Ho hum.

heh, asked in a Fast Racing Neo thread if it was exclusive to Wii U, I always assume indies are coming to PC as well, and people got really up in arms for those 3 words, "Exclusive to WiiU?" :p

Corto

So you are saying a bunch of people who never played Shenmue are hyping this up?

I haven't seen that at all in this thread. I think Sony putting up a KS campaign on their stage was lame. I don't own a Xbone.. I own a PS4.

Honestly, considering that I think a lot of the hyped people here haven't probably played Shenmue.. and more likely never played Shenmue 2... I'm not sure that'd help increase sales for Shenmue 3.

They are pretty dated at this point, honestly... I mean it's been years.. but a few years back when I still had my Dreamcast.. I just couldn't do it again.

Perhaps. I can't be certain but I suspect that that is happening to some extent. It's incidental to this though. What matters is that the game is being funded, Yu Suzuki is directing it with full creative freedom limited only by its budget and that people kickstarting this game will get a game at the end.

LaMeRz

If you feel so deceived, stop complaining, retract your donation and move on with life. That simple.

And no, this isn't an 'interest-free' loan. You get a game at the end of that, and for possibly half off what you would normally pay.

It is interest free until you actually get the game so until then it is an interest free loan. Because other investors or banks would require a return on their money in addition to the principal amount.

The interest of fun and excitement of a new Shenmue game are probably worth it. But monetarily it is an interest free loan.

Well Sony tricked you into giving them a 2 year interest free and non refundable loan.

I know everyone is excited to get the game they want but it is sleazy by Sony.

First of all Sony isn't seeing a penny from this kickstarter.
I upped my pledge to $100 after reading this thread just out of spite. So if Yu Suzuki is able to buy a twinkie because of the interest my 100 bucks generated in 2 years, I'm glad to help out.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I'm okay with this. It allows riskier games to be made with bigger budgets than what you'd normally get on Kickstarter.

4Tran

If it was obvious the Shenmue Kickstarter thread wouldn't be filled with people claiming Sony had no involvement from the starter.
Sony doesn't have anything to do with the Shenmue Kickstarter though. If you're making a pledge, not a cent of it is going to go to Sony. Instead, they're financing the game after the Kickstarter is completed. While you may not appreciate the distinction, it makes a lot of difference legally, and it would be wrong to create a wrong impression. Moreover, Boyes isn't going on stage to make any promises Sony may not be willing to fulfill.

People have 31 days to react to this "manipulation" if they wish to do so. I'm only seeing the counter going up.

This argument is ridiculous. 90% of games presented are shown by the devs involved, and not the publisher behind it.

Still, the Kickstarter was sold (by Sony themselves) as something they were 'not attached to at all'. Less than 12 hours later, when it hit the target - that's when they suddenly revealed that they were onboard. That's a classic bait and switch. Do most people care? Of course not. They'll keep tossing cash at this thing.

I just think it's kind of a scummy move on Sony's part.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I don't have a problem with the Amplitude Kickstarter because they were upfront and transparent about the situation. Is Shenmue had the same thing and from the beginning Sony was involved then most of the pages of this thread wouldn't exist.

The Shenmue Kickstarter said plainly: "If we do not reach our funding goal, Shenmue 3 will not go forward."

That is all that matters. If this had failed, it wasn't like Sony was going to say "Syke, we are going to fully fund this project and it was all a big lie to grab your monies for an interest free loan! MUHAHAHA"

HORRORSHØW

nope. going to bitch about it on a message board. hell, i'm going to bitch about it even though i have no interest in the game and never had any intention of backing it.

Fisty

If you thought Shenmue 3 was going to be made and look even remotely good with a decent amount of content for the $2-$5 million they will get from the kickstarter... you have no idea how game development works and the only person you have to blame is yourself.

LaMeRz

First of all Sony isn't seeing a penny from this kickstarter.
I upped my pledge to $100 after reading this thread just out of spite. So if Yu Suzuki is able to buy a twinkie because of the interest my 100 bucks generated in 2 years, I'm glad to help out.

It helps protect their invesment so they kind of are. Also glad your hatred for other opinions could help you give more money to the kickstarter.

What do I have to do make you hate me so much that you to donate to a food bank? Perhaps ravage Microsoft for a $40 remake?

2 days ago: "LOL, everyone knows no pub wants to fund another Shenmue game, there's just not enough customers to justify the risk. It's a dead in the water IP people, let it go."

Now: "Did people really think there wasn't a lot of demand for Shenmue 3? It's fucking Shenmue 3! Sony could have easily funded it. Shady and scummy if you ask me."

Arkam

Also resorting to calling me an unbright child. How uncouth of you sir.

I actually did not call you anything as I supremely doubt you believe that even and are just mildly upset right now and acting irrational. Its ok you will calm down and laugh about it all later ;)

Top Bottom