• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony is overcharging Brazilian customers and don't answer why

Krammy

While not nearly the same situation, this reminds me of how in Canada, Nintendo charges tax on all their online goods, while Sony doesn't. Makes it really annoying to purchase anything with Nintendo eShop cards when tax gets added on.

EDIT: Wow, such a junky first post, sorry everyone!

While not nearly the same situation, this reminds me of how in Canada, Nintendo charges tax on all their online goods, while Sony doesn't. Makes it really annoying to purchase anything with Nintendo eShop cards when tax gets added on.

EDIT: Wow, such a junky first post, sorry everyone!

Wait do your really get charged tax twice in Canada if you buy something with a gift card? Once when purchasing the gift card and once when purchasing the digital product? That doesn't seem right.

Wait do your really get charged tax twice in Canada if you buy something with a gift card? Once when purchasing the gift card and once when purchasing the digital product? That doesn't seem right.
Tax isn't usually applied to the gift card purchase, just what you buy with the gift card.

dracula_x

I Am Setsuna - R$ 123 on PSN - R$ 73 on Steam

hm, it seems ok to me.

DjwhsUH.png

btw, Steam is region locked by ip – that's why you see different prices for different regions.

Lynx_7

It bears to mention that Nintendo has the same shit policies in Brazil and doesn't even support other countries in the region.

Which policies? Nintendo bailed out of here a long time ago. We still have the 3DS e-shop I guess, but there's absolutely zero physical support and no brazilian Wii U e-shop to speak of. Everything Nintendo is severely overpriced as a result, specially Wii U games. Shit sucks.

Sony has been terrible with PSN prices but at least their exclusive titles such as Uncharted usually launch with a pretty reasonable price tag compared to 3rd party releases (R$199,99 vs 249,99). Physical copies, that is.

Krammy

What Night Angel said. If I buy an eShop card, it's tax free. $20 flat or whatever the card is worth, but then I get charged tax on the game or DLC I buy off the eShop, where Sony's PlayStation Network doesn't charge tax.

WaterAstro

Steam has two options for currency exchange.

There's an option to use Steam's regional pricing system or normal currency exchange.
A lot of the cheaper prices you could be seeing in some regions are using Steam's regional pricing system, which is often abused by people to get cheaper prices compared to their own region.

atomico

Similar thing in Argentina. Sony's PSN prices are absurd.

The local PSN prices are listed in US dollars but everything is around 40% higher than its US counterpart.

XBOX Store prices, on the other hand are the same as US. They do convert US prices to Arg Peso.

Steam charges plain American prices, USD.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Sony has yet to begin caring about the Brazilian PlayStation Store.

When questioned about it, their answer is usually ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Eila

If it's like Mexico it's retailers asking for overpriced retail prices for digital goods. Nintendo does it here.
Thank god for Steam.

M3d10n

As said before, Sony is matching the USD price (as they always did) while Valve and Microsoft usually offer lower prices more adjusted to the market. In all cases it's up to the publishers to decide.

Digital goods escape most taxes that affect physical games, BTW.

void666

Banned
If i'm not mistaken PC games are taxed as if they were software. Console games are taxed like gambling games. Something like that. That's why they are usually more expensive.
Unless it's a bethesda game on steam. Then it's more expensive than on consoles.

Top Bottom