• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony now warns users that others may record voice party chats on PSN

nemiroff

Gold Member
Well that's it at the end of the day.
Control yourself around strangers, go wild with your trusted friends who won't report you.

Um, isn't that kind of naive..? Next time you're with real life friends, pull out your phone, hit record and tell them that you are now recording everything being said, and then observe..

Last edited:

Ten_Fold

I mean people who say racist shit to random people will probably get hit hard. I don’t even use a MIC anymore, last time I used one was back in the MW2 days.

Sethbacca

Um, isn't that kind of naive..? Next time you're with real life friends, pull out your phone, hit record and tell them that you are now recording everything being said, and then observe..

Since we're doing experiments. Stand on a street corner and holler racial epithets at random passersby. See what reactions you get.

Do you think that a player should have to put up with, say for sake of argument, racial abuse ruining their enjoyment of a game without recourse to report it?
I always figured blocking the person solved most issues of abuse.

Once we leave it up to Sony to determine what is and isn’t say, racism for example, things can get really bad. Why even dabble in that when you can just let users have their own agency? Was it an issue before?

Mr Moose

0526a612e937e982d5a0.jpg

50 years in the future Sony and MS will have their own police and they'll be teleporting them to your room and taze the living shit out of you if you say gamer words.

Handy Fake

I'm just not understanding the issue is all. I might just have been brought up properly. ;)
Sony is not recording anything you do or say.
If you join a party chat, then other users will have the ability to record all voice chat that they are involved in.
If someone decides to go beyond the pale to the point a user decides they must take action, they can send a copy of the chat to Sony to be looked over. If the chat violates the T&Cs of Sony's service that you signed up to, you'll be warned. Consistent behaviour will result in a ban.
If you have only been chatting with friends, then they won't report you. If they do, they're not exactly a friend.

Is that correct?

Last edited:

BeardGawd

Banned
I'm just not understanding the issue is all. I might just have been brought up properly. ;)
Sony is not recording anything you do or say.
If you join a party chat, then other users will have the ability to record all voice chat that they are involved in.
If someone decides to go beyond the pale to the point a user decides they must take action, they can send a copy of the chat to Sony to be looked over. If the chat violates the T&Cs of Sony's service that you signed up to, you'll be warned. Consistent behaviour will result in a ban.
If you have only been chatting with friends, then they won't report you. If they do, they're not exactly a friend.

Is that correct?

There's a reason why recording private conversations is against the law in many places.

To put another way. People want a reasonable amount of privacy. Even if it's not to report it to Sony.

Last edited:
users can record anything on any party chat on either console, its not a big thing this and sony just warning it can happen. a non story
I know on PS4 (well maybe until the patch this week, haven't tested it), you could go into personal settings and disable the ability for you to be recorded in saved clips/broadcasting. I believe it would just be silence when you would talk in those instances.

Handy Fake

I know on PS4 (well maybe until the patch this week, haven't tested it), you could go into personal settings and disable the ability for you to be recorded in saved clips/broadcasting. I believe it would just be silence when you would talk in those instances.
Probably a good chance it's the same on PS5 to be honest. More than likely just a warning to bring it into line with certain legislation.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Since we're doing experiments. Stand on a street corner and holler racial epithets at random passersby. See what reactions you get.

That would be a hate crime which basically all of us would agree is abhorrent. But it's an entirely different point to mine.

If i did that, my friends would immediately say the nastiest things possible 🤣

Then it's still a schrödingers cat.. To take a laugh to disarm things can indeed often have value, but I don't think being recorded at all times would be as funny at the thousandth day as it was the first day - Especially if you became not so good friends in the meantime.

Last edited:

INC

Neogaf Is fucked then
mod edit: this user has been muted. The relevant audio has been packaged up into an .m4a and sent to the proper authorities for review. In order to file an appeal please send a picture to the support address with either blue or mauve tinted hair visible.

I mean......seriously? Its a joke, if you can't laugh at yourself, you're basically resetera 👀

phil_t98

#SonyToo

somebody could just plug a recording device Ito the headphone jack as well

Boss Mog

Either it's not explained properly or it's a total non-issue. From what I understand it's not Sony recording anything, it's people in your chat party potentially recording you and complaining to Sony. Everybody I know only uses the party chat with friends, mostly rl friends, so it's a complete non-issue really.

EDMIX

I always find it funny when folks think what they say online is "private" the deep, deep lolz. My assumption is any site I'm part of that can record and keep track of what I say or type, does record what I say or type.

Anyone that doesn't know this by now sounds all sorts of new to the internet.

Lort

Banned
Its amazing how many posters here are trying to incorrectly claim
  • This is the same as it was before
  • The recording isnt being done by Sony
  • That this is the same as xbox, or phone companies
For any company to record private conversations without direct consent, they usually require a warrant.

That is WHY there is for the first time ever a special notification making it absolutly clear that you give Sony permission fo be recorded and review your conversations.

Believe all you want but let others just accept the truth for what it is..

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
Wait, people is naive enough to believe that Sony and Microsoft are not actually recording pretty much everything?

MastaKiiLA

Ao7W7qp.jpg

Had to pause AEW Dynamite to check.

Ok, you can still disable the ability to allow yourself to be recorded.
I'm pretty sure that's not going to save you from being reported for abuse. It would make no sense to have a report feature that can be evaded by settings in the dashboard.

Lort

Banned
Fud... am I using the word right?
If your talking about my posts .. everything i have said is 100% correct and verified by Sony.

if your talking about “just disable share voice” “xbox is the same”.. then i guess thats some type of FUD.

Lort

Banned
I'm pretty sure that's not going to save you from being reported for abuse. It would make no sense to have a report feature that can be evaded by settings in the dashboard.
Exactly some people are so gullable ... “but they wont record me despite me agreeing to a special TOS a new on screen notification because i clicked a button thats been on the playstation for 7 years before the change that refers to something else”

Kokoloko85

If your talking about my posts .. everything i have said is 100% correct and verified by Sony.

if your talking about “just disable share voice” “xbox is the same”.. then i guess thats some type of FUD.

Theres like 8 pages of posts. I dont know who you are or and I haven’t read your posts.

Fud means fear, uncertainty and doubt. Which it seems like people are trying to create.

and this post means its mostly bullshit

zUmuLwH.jpg

And
From twitter

Hello! The notification advises you that other users may be recording your voice conversation. We do no record party chats. ^PS

hence people created FUD for no reason

Kamina

Golden Boy
So...
- Dont join parties in the first place
- Mute your mic if you are in a party and have a habit of shittalking
- Dont shittalk

Top Bottom