• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Pictures, Universal considering bid to acquire Funimation

Canon

Banned
FUNimation doesn't own the rights to a Dragon Ball movie. 20th Century Fox does. 20th Century Fox was even involved in "Battle of Gods" distribution for some reason.

So... Sony and Universal should just be talking with Fox about the rights. I'm not too interested in the other FUNimation anime.

Oh man, I can't wait for the inevitable shitstorm that happens when Sony gets their greasy paws on Funimation.

Picture it now; Kendal Jenner as Sailor Moon. Dragon Ball Z3D. FLCL with a cohesive and easy to follow storyline. Nerds on the internet are gonna lose their shit.
Sony is already quite involved in anime through Aniplex, though that is under Sony Music instead of the movie division.

Does Funimation even have any competitors in their space?
Funimation's been the top dog for a decade now? Ironically that was all thanks to their previous owner, Navarre, who bought them when they were at the top, pumped tons of cash into them enabling them to expand their market share when everyone else was downsizing during the DVD crash. Then just before things started getting better, Navarre sold Funi back to its original owners at a huge loss, and now apparently got bought and no longer exists.

Zubz

Banned
FUNimation doesn't own the rights to a Dragon Ball movie. 20th Century Fox does. 20th Century Fox was even involved in "Battle of Gods" distribution for some reason.

So... Sony and Universal should just be talking with Fox about the rights. I'm not too interested in the other FUNimation anime.

Huh... Looks like 0% chance of a live-action DBZ movie, then. Seeing how everything's been going with the X-Men.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
GitS is about as mainstream as Akira, in the sense that it served as a gateway anime for people who got into the medium then either stuck with it or fell off shortly after the '90s. Not something that people who otherwise don't pay attention to anime will be aware of specifically.

I'm still not really sure why you're insisting that the awareness of the property with the general public outside of Japan is in any way mainstream.

Like I said, GITS is only niche in the sense that anime itself is niche. I'm not saying GITS is something that everybody knows. But it's something that everybody who likes anime knows. It is as mainstream as anime itself is. Franchises like DBZ essentially transcend their classification.

If you're a movie studio, you don't need to buy a full blown anime localization company just because you want DBZ or Naruto. You're looking to exploit franchises further down then that. To buy Funimation is to invest in anime itself, as a medium, and GITS is one of the biggest nuggets you get if that's the kind of investment you're making.

Kvik

There's a German anime streamer (I forgot the name) which provides high bitrate content -- thousand times better than Crunchy/Funi.

Also I concur with the state of Funi's PS4 player. Apart from the obvious buffering, god forbid you let your sub lapse, since sometimes you will get commercials which will reset your position in the stream. So annoying.

ZealousD

Huh... Looks like 0% chance of a live-action DBZ movie, then. Seeing how everything's been going with the X-Men.

DBZ is too silly to work in a live-action context. I'm not even sure why people would want that.

RedBoot

I'm pretty sure the Japanese studio would have to be involved in any film rights for any anime property anyway, I doubt that Funi has exclusive live-action rights to a Cowboy Bebop film or something.

I suspect Ghost in the Shell killed the live-action anime train anyway, unless Death Note is a massive hit or something.

Strimei

Don't know how to feel about this. Makes me uneasy, honestly...

Also this would make things a lot more complicated with various agreements, I imagine. And what about their partnership with Crunchyroll?

They wouldn't move the Funi HQ, would they? Funimation's been very nice to us in the DFW area.

I have to imagine a move would be disastrous, the bulk of their talent lives in that area, doesn't it?

Zubz

Banned
DBZ is too silly to work in a live-action context. I'm not even sure why people would want that.

I personally don't, but it's definitely something I think people would like to see if they can expect something competently made/close to the source material.

That was more a jab at Marvel's response to FOX not relinquishing the X-Men expanding to Sony and Sweet Christmas I'm turning into Neoxon.

all you gotta do is keep the silliness to a minimum, maybe have some comic relief on the side.

as for why people would want it...240 million copies of the OG dragon ball manga have been sold worldwide. to put it into perspective, it's about half the amount of books that the harry potter franchise sold.

Better than Santorum, I guess.

I'm pretty sure the Japanese studio would have to be involved in any film rights for any anime property anyway, I doubt that Funi has exclusive live-action rights to a Cowboy Bebop film or something.

Yeah, buying Funimation wouldn't really help them at getting rights to anything (maybe some things that Funi were on the production committees for like Dimension W, but they'd still need to be dealing with the original rights holders). The only actual advantage owning Funimation would give someone would be having existing relations and connections with those companies to make it easier to get in the door.

duckroll

Yeah, buying Funimation wouldn't really help them at getting rights to anything (maybe some things that Funi were on the production committees for like Dimension W, but they'd still need to be dealing with the original rights holders). The only actual advantage owning Funimation would give someone would be having existing relations and connections with those companies to make it easier to get in the door.

Neither Universal nor Sony would be buying FUNimation to "get in the door". That thought is ridiculous to me. Universal owns Geneon, and has been producing anime in Japan for decades. Sony Music started up Aniplex in Japan. These are huge international companies with strong anime production ties in Japan. They don't need to buy a US company to "get in the door". If they're looking to buy FUNimation, it is because there is an existing business framework for production and distribution which they deem profitable and attractive to add to their umbrella as a subsidiary. Nothing more.

Worth noting that Funimation managed to distribute literally the highest grossing anime movie of all time, and make only a measly ~$5 million with it.

Clov

That anime money! They have like 80% of all the biggest anime. Viz having the rest.

If you want to be technical, Disney has bigger anime than them, given that they have most of the Ghibli films. Funimation's second place is guaranteed thanks to DBZ alone, though. Stuff sells like crazy.

Please don't price gouge us like Aniplex, Sony.

Aniplex is owned by Sony Music though. This is Sony Pictures! Totally different.

That's if this even happens, anyway. I'm not convinced it will.

Neither Universal nor Sony would be buying FUNimation to "get in the door". That thought is ridiculous to me. Universal owns Geneon, and has been producing anime in Japan for decades. Sony Music started up Aniplex in Japan. These are huge international companies with strong anime production ties in Japan. They don't need to buy a US company to "get in the door". If they're looking to buy FUNimation, it is because there is an existing business framework for production and distribution which they deem profitable and attractive to add to their umbrella as a subsidiary. Nothing more.

Yeah, I agree. I was just mentioning that as the only thing that Funimation would even have with regards to movie deals to any hypothetical company (eg, very little).

Any purchase would just be based on wanting to take over their current business model and profit off of it. Which is pretty much what the quotes at the start of the thread outline. I don't know why there was so much focus from people on live action films.

duckroll

Worth noting that Funimation managed to distribute literally the highest grossing anime movie of all time, and make only a measly ~$5 million with it.

Worth noting that Disney managed to distribute literally the previous highest grossing anime movie of all time, and make only a measly ~$3 million with it in the same time frame of 4 weeks.

:p

Sony already own Aniplex in Japan since 1995
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aniplex

OH GOD NO, I'm getting horrible visions of them trying to merge FUNimation somehow with Aniplex or trying to make FUNimation copy Aniplex's utterly bullshit pricing on their BluRays. Aniplex prices four episodes for $65, while FUNimation will regularly sell you entire series sets for around $30.

I'll always have mad respect for FUNimation. I remember when they were despised for their DBZ dub around the Freeza saga. Then they made an effort to improve their product dramatically. Just around 2-3 years later, they were putting out awesome versions of stuff like Yu Yu Hakusho. They also played their cards right during the US anime boom, being careful not to over-exert themselves by buying every license under the sun. As all the other companies like ADV Films went out of business, FUNimation would come in and take over their major licenses.

They have absolutely earned their spot as one of the big anime players in America. Seeing that Universal and Sony are interested in buying them is kinda cool, since it shows how big FUNi has become. But it also terrifies me with the prospect of Sony or Universal completely ruining FUNimation since they don't understand how the American anime market operates.

Zee-Row

Banned
Sony is already quite involved in anime through Aniplex, though that is under Sony Music instead of the movie division.

Funimation's been the top dog for a decade now? Ironically that was all thanks to their previous owner, Navarre, who bought them when they were at the top, pumped tons of cash into them enabling them to expand their market share when everyone else was downsizing during the DVD crash. Then just before things started getting better, Navarre sold Funi back to its original owners at a huge loss, and now apparently got bought and no longer exists.

I miss Pioneer/Geneon and ADV.

Korigama

Like I said, GITS is only niche in the sense that anime itself is niche. I'm not saying GITS is something that everybody knows. But it's something that everybody who likes anime knows. It is as mainstream as anime itself is. Franchises like DBZ essentially transcend their classification.
This is exactly my point. When I say mainstream, I am limiting it to things that everybody know, not people who already like anime. If you define it as something as broad as properties that people who like anime know, the term doesn't carry much meaning.

Toki767

Funimation has rights to Steins;Gate right? I imagine that could translate into a pretty decent (hard to mess up) movie.

zulux21

Funimation has rights to Steins;Gate right? I imagine that could translate into a pretty decent (hard to mess up) movie.

funimation has rights to release steins;gate in anime form in the NA market.
they do not have rights to the IP or anything like that. the original Japanese company does.

same with everything.
they don't have rights to sell for a dragon ball movie
or anything else. they only have a license to sell the anime.

They also don't purposefully let shows go out of print like Aniplex does.

OH GOD NO, I'm getting horrible visions of them trying to merge FUNimation somehow with Aniplex or trying to make FUNimation copy Aniplex's utterly bullshit pricing on their BluRays. Aniplex prices four episodes for $65, while FUNimation will regularly sell you entire series sets for around $30.

I'll always have mad respect for FUNimation. I remember when they were despised for their DBZ dub around the Freeza saga. Then they made an effort to improve their product dramatically. Just around 2-3 years later, they were putting out awesome versions of stuff like Yu Yu Hakusho. They also played their cards right during the US anime boom, being careful not to over-exert themselves by buying every license under the sun. As all the other companies like ADV Films went out of business, FUNimation would come in and take over their major licenses.

They have absolutely earned their spot as one of the big anime players in America. Seeing that Universal and Sony are interested in buying them is kinda cool, since it shows how big FUNi has become. But it also terrifies me with the prospect of Sony or Universal completely ruining FUNimation since they don't understand how the American anime market operates.

This. Funimation is awesome as is.

I hope Sony gets it that way they can fix the fucking PS4 app. God!

Huh. I watch stuff with it all the time and also on the website.

I miss Pioneer/Geneon and ADV.

Yeah, Geneon was great too. ADV still pretty much exists in Sentai Filmworks, they just don't dub as much stuff as they did in those days sadly. Though they do dub their biggest stuff.

geomon

Huh. I watch stuff with it all the time and also on the website.

On a lot of shows there's constant stuttering and interruptions (and no, it's not my connection, I have a wired ethernet connection, 88Mbps down/12Mbps Upload/ 12ms Ping.), the queue is broken (it used to show only 25 shows in your queue, now it's 50 and you can't add any shows to it), and the UI is worse than before the January update to the app.

There's a whole thread on the Funimation site about just the PS4 app. It's that bad.

ZealousD

Steins;Gate is pretty heavily Japanese to the point that it's almost indecipherable for anybody not already in the loop with Japanese otaku culture. So you would have to adapt it and change the setting and characters quite a bit, kind of like what they're doing with Netflix Death Note. That already gets you into some rough waters.

Top Bottom