• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony post massive PS Vita FAQ - No video out

Zoe

Shame about the DS3 considering it's backwards compatible.

Q: Why didn't you introduce stereoscopic 3D (without glasses) to PS Vita?
A: In the development process, we studied the possibility of introducing stereoscopic 3D feature to PS Vita, but decided not to install it. After careful consideration of our goal of offering users the ultimate portable entertainment experience with revolutionary user interface, we have decided to focus on the features and spec announced first.

This says to me it's coming later.

Opus Angelorum said:
I'd say 32GB for $100 is a great guess, especially if the card has some form of copy-protection/encryption process integrated.

I think this could get very messy, especially with saved game data.

Based on what?

The idea behind proprietary memory is not just to sell it at a higher cost than regular flash memory, but that you control the licensing and standard. Sony could sell the cards competitively priced with regular SDHC/XC cards and they would still make a nice lot of money. Selling the cards at $100 or more for 32GB vs $60 for SDHC at the same capacity would be pretty bad for Sony in PR terms, I can't see them going for it.

I think we're looking at a $10-15 premium depending on the size, that it looks very similar to M2 probablly means Sony are leveraging it to lower fabrication costs for them. Also, Sony have been buying up fab capacity on the cheap, so it wouldn't surprise me if they decided to go it alone for the game cards to keep the pirates and bootleggers out. Whether they will have enough to make the storage format as well remains to be seen, but I wouldn't be surprised if Sony manufactured both cards themselves for the first few years at least, that way they could control the costs and price very easily.

Zoe said:
Shame about the DS3 considering it's backwards compatible.

This says to me it's coming later.

Agreed on 3D

I don't get the DS3 stuff though, Vita has got all(?) of DS3 functions in built so why bother with an extra device, especially since there is no TV-out.

Jinko

CrankyJay said:
I haven't used the video out once on my cradle/cables for PSPGo. It's completely unnecessary.

Well to be fair PSP has a crappy resolution so putting that on a TV ain't guna look pretty, it hasn't stopped me from playing TO on the TV on occasion though.

Jinko said:
Well to be fair PSP has a crappy resolution so putting that on a TV ain't guna look pretty, it hasn't stopped me from playing TO on the TV on occasion though.

And the cables are really short so if you have a big TV you end up sitting RIGHT in front of it if you use it.

Zoe

zomgbbqftw said:
I don't get the DS3 stuff though, Vita has got all(?) of DS3 functions in built so why bother with an extra device, especially since there is no TV-out.

It's just nice having the option. Especially when you consider cradles or stands.

MetatronM said:
So you're saying there's a chance?

No chance in hell, that's your typical PR talk. You would need to renegotiate every single licensing agreement on every single PSP game released - impossible.

Castor Krieg said:
No chance in hell, that's your typical PR talk. You would need to renegotiate every single licensing agreement on every single PSP game released - impossible.

Take a look at how many PS1 games are available on the US store for download and how long it took them to get there to see how successful they are at getting their licensing shit together...

Hex

Banned
larvi said:
Gamestop is showing them at $40 but with a caveat saying it's preliminary and subject to change.

They were right about 3DS and right about others.
It is a safe bet.

Good read, bummer about the battery, so does that mean no 3rd party accessory can be made to make the battery life stronger?

I'd be glad to get at least 2-4 gb with the vita but most likely not :(

Minsc

Gold Member
Opus Angelorum said:
?

A low speed 32GB Micro SD HC card is $75.

Bestbuy has a 32GB SDHC for $135 on their site (and it's on sale). And I wonder if Sony is going to enforce a minimum speed for their memory... sure a slower 32GB SDHC card is like $50-60, but start looking at the 20-30mb/s ones and beyond and prices start going way up.

It's not like it's unprecedented for Sony/MS/Nintendo to overcharge for storage is it? How long were those 360 HDDs overpriced, and by more than a factor of 2x?

friskykillface said:
Good read, bummer about the battery, so does that mean no 3rd party accessory can be made to make the battery life stronger?

I'd be glad to get at least 2-4 gb with the vita but most likely not :(

I'm sure Nyko will make a battery grip that pluga into the multi-function port to charge the main battery so it lasts longer.

No video out is another reason why you will buy the ps4 and play your vita game on it. Then when vita game save files are locked you can shed tears and purchase the new Vita tissues to wipe your tears and the Vita towels to clean up the mess.

Q: Can you use a commercially available Bluetooth keyboard / mouse? Can you connect the PS3 wireless controller to the PS Vita like the PSPgo?
A: No. Users cannot use commercially available Bluetooth keyboard / mouse or a PS3 wireless controller on the PS Vita.

That's dissappointing. I can do that on my PSP go right now. I was hoping we would be able to have video out, and Dualshock compatability so we could hook it up to our HD tvs and run it basically like a PS3 Portable.

Apath

MetatronM said:
So you're saying there's a chance?
Cwom3.jpg

Conflict NZ said:
That's dissappointing. I can do that on my PSP go right now. I was hoping we would be able to have video out, and Dualshock compatability so we could hook it up to our HD tvs and run it basically like a PS3 Portable.

I think that's the reason both features have been excluded from the initial model, they don't want developers to start looking at Vita as a home console, because then they would cut support for it, why sell $40 games rather than $60 games...

zomgbbqftw said:
I think that's the reason both features have been excluded from the initial model, they don't want developers to start looking at Vita as a home console, because then they would cut support for it, why sell $40 games rather than $60 games...

That and I think Sony wanted to make as many non-core functionality cuts as possible to keep the price competitive with the 3DS.

johnsmith

remember me
With video out this would have been a day 1 purchase for me. Without it, I can wait until the psp vita slim, and see if it's added then.

/XX/

Opus Angelorum said:
I'd say 32GB for $100 is a great guess, especially if the card has some form of copy-protection/encryption process integrated.
As I said in the other thread (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=28474513&postcount=2404), MagicGate copy-protection technology was implemented on the Memory Stick for this situations. So, in case you are talking about a type of card media that only admits encrypted files for the PSVITA platform to read, I think this is not the case. Seeing the 'Supported AV content' information displayed by specifications of the product that SCEE has released (http://uk.playstation.com/psvita/#select-tab-specifications), I suppose they wouldn't be announcing compatibility for some of those media container and file formats that as standard aren't disclosed as copy-protected if they would be willing to embrace a card media that only accepts their own encrypted files.

Opus Angelorum said:
I think this could get very messy, especially with saved game data.
"New game medium" card storages the save data, so you only need the game card itself.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Q: Can you take out the battery from the system?
A: No. We have adopted embedded battery since PS Vita is equipped with a rear touch pad

This sound like anti-piracy methods to me, anyway, seeing this,I think PS4 will be more closed than PS4, oh well this sucks but can't blame them after the entire piracy thing on PSP and PS3.

Q: What are the features of the new game medium / storage media?
A:New game medium
It can not only store the full software titles but also save data as well as additional game content data. Therefore, the game title can be concluded with one piece of card.

I hope we can put the saves somewhere else too (on the cloud,on other memory stick, on PS3/PS4..ect), since it's handheld and losing your small game carts will happens all the time.

Totobeni said:
This sound like anti-piracy methods to me, anyway, seeing this,I think PS4 will be more closed than PS4, oh well this sucks but can't blame them after the entire piracy thing on PSP and PS3.

I hope we can put the saves somewhere else too (on the cloud,on other memory stick, on PS3/PS4..ect), since it's handheld and losing your small game carts will happens all the time.

I don't see why they would limit that to the PS3. Would be a great way to extend the reach of playstation plus

matmanx1

I really have no problems with any of the announced specs and features but do have questions about the proprietary memory and the requirement (or lack thereof) of 3G.

Will having 3G and paying the monthly fee really enhance my gaming experience? I don't currently own a smartphone but I do own a PSP, a 3DS and a 32GB iTouch, all of which I use over wi-fi for various things. I occasionally wish I had "always on" internet access for surfing or to look something up on my iTouch but outside of that I've never felt I needed a 3G data plan. They seem ridiculously overpriced to me.

Anyway, bring on the Vita. I'm ready for this beast!

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Izayoi said:
No internal storage and no removable battery are HUGE downers. :(
Not huge but if we have to find something to nag about, I guess. After the whole pandora thing I understand the battery thing. No internal storage is not a huge thing too. PSP didn't get it until GO. I will more than likely buy a 32-64Gb card.

LiquidMetal14 said:
Not huge but if we have to find something to nag about, I guess. After the whole pandora thing I understand the battery thing. No internal storage is not a huge thing too. PSP didn't get it until GO. I will more than likely buy a 32-64Gb card.

16-32GB card is probably plenty for me until the system ages and I would have piled up more downloadable titles/content. A couple years down the road the memory will be cheaper too, so I could upgrade then if I needed to. I just hope the proprietary memory doesn't end up costing too much.

PSYGN

Q: I have UMD games but do I need to buy them again from PlayStation Store to play the same game on PS Vita?
A: We will consider every possibility for support on bought UMD games but we have nothing to comment at this point in time.

I wish. I'd storm the used PSP games section. A lot of the games (decent ones, too) are dirt cheap.

Vandiger

I like play fighting games on a DS3 controller while on the PSPGo, this dissapoints me a bit :p. I guess you can't get everything.

/XX/

zomgbbqftw said:
I think we're looking at a $10-15 premium depending on the size, that it looks very similar to M2 probablly means Sony are leveraging it to lower fabrication costs for them. Also, Sony have been buying up fab capacity on the cheap, so it wouldn't surprise me if they decided to go it alone for the game cards to keep the pirates and bootleggers out. Whether they will have enough to make the storage format as well remains to be seen, but I wouldn't be surprised if Sony manufactured both cards themselves for the first few years at least, that way they could control the costs and price very easily.
In the case of the "storage media", until recently Sony EMCS Corporation own manufacturing plant of Tokai TEC Kohda Site assembled all the Memory Stick lines of products, but the principal component in them, the NAND flash memory, isn't produced by Sony Semiconductor divisions, and they need to source it from other vendors (mainly SanDisk and SAMSUNG Semiconductor), so their control over production is very limited, for example in lack of supply cases like in recent times with Toshiba inoperative due to the problems derived by the Tōhoku Earthquake, and that affects the manufacturing costs.

Also, we keep talking about a proprietary format from Sony, but keep in mind that all Memory Stick variants since 2003 have been jointly-developed between Sony and SanDisk, even the disclosed but not yet released Memory Stick XC variant, so if this new "storage media" is part of the Memory Stick family or line, SanDisk is probably involved and can also release it as their own product (and probably at comparatively cheaper prices).

Oppo

What I want to know is - is the unit technically capable of video-out through the custom port (as the PSP Go was), or is it actually not possible with the hardware?

I'd feel better if I knew that they would (or could) just enable it at some point down the line with a FW update.

The memory card strategy is interesting. On the one hand we are back to the bad old days of the mandatory PS2 memory card (probably +$30). On the other hand, the design of the carts means you really can just treat it like a cartridge-console, and buy what memory you want.

There was probably a non-insignificant number of PSP players who had little to no idea about the internal memory and didn't care.

Anyways the lack of video out is basically the only thing that bothers me about this thing.

Has there been any word on whether PSV games will support 5.1 surround? Im thinking in terms of Sony using their own CMSS-3D like DSP effect or the ability to output digital sound via an accessory like 360 does.

To me that is more important than video out. I'll be dissapointed if you can only experience games in plain old stereo sound.

-

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
SolidSnakex said:
The VP of Sony Europe said that it's region free.

Fucking awesome if true.

That's the major thing that pisses me off about the 3DS and a big reason why I don't yet own one.

PortTwo said:
What I want to know is - is the unit technically capable of video-out through the custom port (as the PSP Go was), or is it actually not possible with the hardware?

I'd feel better if I knew that they would (or could) just enable it at some point down the line with a FW update.

The memory card strategy is interesting. On the one hand we are back to the bad old days of the mandatory PS2 memory card (probably +$30). On the other hand, the design of the carts means you really can just treat it like a cartridge-console, and buy what memory you want.

There was probably a non-insignificant number of PSP players who had little to no idea about the internal memory and didn't care.

Anyways the lack of video out is basically the only thing that bothers me about this thing.

I read that PSV have multi purpose port at the bottom, presumeably for cradle etc. can't they just sold TV out accessories later on.

Raistlin

CrankyJay said:
I haven't used the video out once on my cradle/cables for PSPGo. It's completely unnecessary.
Do you ever on your phone? If the answer is no, then you're simply not the type of user that requires it.

NeededSleep

I know its not going to happen. But i wish they did some way to get a digital copy of your UMD games.

The main reason i buy physical copies is usually because of the collectors edition cases and other goodies you can get. What i do like about having digital copies is how it frees up how many games you have to tote around in your pocket with you.

Unfortunately I'm sure ill be carrying around my vita and psp & games with me.

Top Bottom