• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony pulls PS4 lineup promo video accused of ripping animations

As the second instalment of its kind, the PlayStation 4 Lineup Music Video Winter Mix was supposed to showcase Sony's extensive game catalogue while accompanied by beautiful music and creative animations. It appears to have failed the creativity part, however, as it's been accused of ripping multiple animations from the work of other artists - including students.

Initially uploaded on 29th November by PlayStation Japan, the video has been made private by Sony following several accusations of art theft (although a re-upload can be viewed here/below).

One of the first animators to spot the problem was Russian animator Oleg Kositsyn, who replied to PlayStation Japan's tweet with a copy of his work. Other animators started to identify further rips, and it now seems like the bulk of PlayStation's video is comprised of suspect animations.

Catsuka, a French animation website, has since created a round-up comparison video to display the scale of the theft: which includes rips from Cartoon Network's Steven Universe: The Movie, anime FLCL, and animation collective Souviens Ten-Zan. And, in the replies to the comparison video, yet more rips have been posted.

The sheer scale of the ripping is bad enough, but to make matters worse, some of the animations appear to have been directly copied from the work of students. Gobelins is a school of visual communication based in France, and many of the ripped animations have been taken from short special effects exercises undertaken as part of their studies - such as this animation of the Orpheus myth, and this short work called "Mailed It".

The video's director, according to the Japanese PlayStation blog, is Kevin Bao - a Canadian director who's received awards from the Ottawa International Animation Festival and London International Animation Festival, and has previously created videos for major clients such as Disney (via Eallin). Since the initial accusations surrounding the PlayStation video, Twitter sleuths have spotted previous examples of Bao seemingly ripping animations, such as in this two year-old video attributed to him.

Eurogamer has contacted Sony for comment.

In this case, it appears the fault probably lies more with the director than Sony - which was likely unaware of the ripping until now. Seeing as Bao's Instagram has gone private and his agency portfolio has been removed, he's probably aware he's in big trouble.

While we wait for a statement from Sony, I'd thoroughly recommend checking out the beautiful work done by the Gobelins students, which you can find over here: https://www.youtube.com/user/gobelins/videos

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
It happens, wonder which advertising company it was.
Guess Sony could sue for damages?
Either way, Sony will get the bad press

Bodatan

Banned
Sony has been ripping stuff from Nintendo for so many years in the past.

For example PlayStation All-stars Battle Royale.

I don't see this thing is any different than that, it's just Sony's culture of doing their business 😂🤣

images

HELLO YOU GUYS LMAO

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

I don't see this thing is any different than that, it's just Sony's culture of doing their business 😂🤣
Killzone Helghast are a total rip off of a 1980s anime series called Panzer Cops.

mango drank

How do people think they can get away with this in the age of the Internet / social media / viral everything? How dumb do you have to be?

Motion work pays good money. And they landed a Sony contract. Were they busy snorting their deposit until the very last minute, and then suddenly remembered they had an animation to turn in?

Fbh

Yeah I really don't get how at this point people still think they can ripoff stuff and no one will notice

How is All Stars Battle Royale a ripoff?

pqueue

The director of the spot, Kevin Bao, has also been let go by Eallin Animation, a production company for which he produced work. (It is not clear at this time that Eallin was the actual studio that produced the Playstation spot, or if Bao made the spot through another studio.) Eallin released the following statement this afternoon on Twitter:

We had no knowledge that the work produced by Kevin Bao was plagiarized. We have ceased with immediate effect any representation of Kevin Boa’s [sic] work and have contacted Kevin for a response.

The director of the spot — China-born, Canada-raised Kevin Bao Shengrui — graduated from Tama Art University in Tokyo, Japan. Here is an excerpt from his bio, which has now been removed from the internet:

As a director, art director, and concept designer, his work crosses over many genres including commercial films, music videos, opening titles, television shows, and short films. He is experimenting with new forms of mixed media that integrates hand written animation, live action, and computer graphics. He draws inspiration from his Asian Canadian heritage which transfers to his works.
Bao has removed all of the work on his social media accounts, including Instagram, Vimeo, and Tumblr. A Japanese agency that represented him, Connection, has removed his director’s page from their website.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned

Yeah like Mario maker copying off the success of lil big planet.

I know your a troll but geez lol thy all copy from eachother. Smash bros wasnt even an original concept at tht 🤣🤣🤣🤣

But ppl plagiarizing and copying stuff this day in age is weird and dumb lol you will get caught.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Konami ripped off Solid Snake from Snake Pliskin of Escape From LA Fame,
That's very far removed though. This is frame by frame, in the exact order, and embodies the same type of objects. I took an animation course back in college and the professor (who had worked in the entertainment industry) told us that its the most serious crime in the world of entertainment and to basically say goodbye to your career after getting caught.

I bet this guy tries to go into another field at this point. His name is pretty much toast in the gaming world.

Yeah, I saw the vid. Blatant plagiarism. Sony should've had some people on checking that to make sure it wasn't a ripoff before, well, putting it out there.

Least they could do is credit the original artists in some way, and probably pay them for essentially featuring their work in an advertisement that no doubt generated money for Sony. I know Sony themselves didn't make the ad, but this ultimately will be seen as falling on their doorstep.

Like, I understand this Bao guy royally screwed up and is finished as an animator now, but that doesn't get Sony off the hook. A little more vetting and research beforehand (and someone to review the work before putting it online) would've gone a long way. Anyhow it would be a good move on Sony's part to compensate the artists in some way, it'd ultimately be good publicity.

Last edited:
That's very far removed though. This is frame by frame, in the exact order, and embodies the same type of objects. I took an animation course back in college and the professor (who had worked in the entertainment industry) told us that its the most serious crime in the world of entertainment and to basically say goodbye to your career after getting caught.

I bet this guy tries to go into another field at this point. His name is pretty much toast in the gaming world.

My point wasn't related to the thread, I was just saying.

There's only one way for this dude to save face and that's by saying something along the lines of:

"Yes, I did use animations from mainly amateur or less well-known animators in the hope that their work would be recognised and praised by the community. Unfortunately, in my excitement to share this fantastic work with the world, I didn't consider the possibility that this would be seen as plagorism, which is short-sighted and stupid of me, considering the industry we work in. With the animators blessing, we would like to launch this promo as is, and have all of you wonderful, hard working, talented artists, be added to the credits"

Add a photo of loads of spiel at the end of how the community works together to keep pushing the boundaries of playstation yadda yadda yadda

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
This guy should be sued by Sony.

He will be. If you contracted someone to do do a promo for you, and it turned out to comprised of mostly unoriginal work you'd want your money back plus potentially punitive costs for the inconvenience and damage to your brand.

Sony are the victims here, they are the ones with egg on their face and out of pocket to boot on the deal.

manfestival

I was wondering how until I saw the side by side. Now it is just blatant. Geeeeeeeez
Cmon, how did you even bother thinking that you weren't going to get caught? Though the combination of ideas in the way it was done is actually kinda cool

lol he's probably been plagiarizing for so long that he started buying into his own bullshit. Or that not getting caught for such a high profile work is like a high for him. His career is dead.

My point wasn't related to the thread, I was just saying.

There's only one way for this dude to save face and that's by saying something along the lines of:

"Yes, I did use animations from mainly amateur or less well-known animators in the hope that their work would be recognised and praised by the community. Unfortunately, in my excitement to share this fantastic work with the world, I didn't consider the possibility that this would be seen as plagorism, which is short-sighted and stupid of me, considering the industry we work in. With the animators blessing, we would like to launch this promo as is, and have all of you wonderful, hard working, talented artists, be added to the credits"

Add a photo of loads of spiel at the end of how the community works together to keep pushing the boundaries of playstation yadda yadda yadda

There's nothing he can say that'll save face. In fact, saying that will only make him look more stupid. This is blatant plagiarism. The composition and movement is identical if you look at it frame by frame. Besides, he deleting all his social media and going incognito is basically admitting guilt.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'm surprised all these accusations came out just now.

So all this time, none of these amateur editors had ever seen a Playstation promo video?

I remember somewhere someone saying an old promo video was a rip off too.

Last edited:

Codes 208

I was wondering how until I saw the side by side. Now it is just blatant. Geeeeeeeez
Cmon, how did you even bother thinking that you weren't going to get caught? Though the combination of ideas in the way it was done is actually kinda cool
It certainly doesnt help he stole not one, but several sources.

its like how the lead musician of of Dragon Ball (for years mind you) didnt get caught plagiarizing until Kai when someone noticed he stole a score from the War theme in James Cameron’s Avatar and then sufdenly people realized he stole from several sources since the og Z.

Top Bottom