• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony rejected cross-play between Switch and PS4 for Fantasy Strike

McCheese

I too hate having the option to play with my family and friends on other systems.

True friends don't let people buy Xboxes.

But on a more serious note, cross-play is a bit of a ballache for platform holders, having to keep parity in DLC price brackets, having to be completely reliant on the developer to handle bans and user warnings, it opens the door for exploits/cheats due to some of the systems being compromised, which also puts the integrity of your own system at risk (e.g. injecting into memory via overflows). Unless it's Fortnite, or they can convince Sony they have the resources to manage it properly, I can completely understand why they would tell them to fuck off.

Last edited:

Codes 208

True friends don't let people buy Xboxes.

But on a more serious note, cross-play is a bit of a ballache for platform holders, having to keep parity in DLC price brackets, having to be completely reliant on the developer to handle bans and user warnings, it opens the door for exploits/cheats due to some of the systems being compromised, which also puts the integrity of your own system at risk (e.g. injecting into memory via overflows). Unless it's Fortnite, or they can convince Sony they have the resources to manage it properly, I can completely understand why they would tell them to fuck off.
Dlc doesnt neccessarily need to be a parity. MW gets dlc on ps4 first but that game will be getting cross-play.

And i imagine if an exploit were discovered, servers would be isolated until a fix can be found (or atleast that seems ro be how it worked with fortnite.)

Codes 208

Just buy the same systems. Why should I be punished for your skin-flintery?
Cross-play between consoles and pc has been a thing since last gen. Why is this only a big deal to be up in arms when other consoles are added in? Why does me wanting to play with my cousins (who play on ps4 and sometimes pc) while i play on xbox affect your ability to opt out?

As for your paranoia, is there any examples of opting out that doesnt work? I can disable pc cross-play in gears 4 and rocket league and ill never see the symbol for pc gamers and ive never had issues thus far.

Mattyp

Gold Member
Call me paranoid but It says opt out, does it really opt me out? How would I know either way?

How do 'options' usually turn out In the gaming industry?

What are you complaining about here exactly? That you could be forced to play with people on other consoles and not even realise it and this is a punishment? This affects you how?

Cross-play between consoles and pc has been a thing since last gen. Why is this only a big deal to be up in arms when other consoles are added in? Why does me wanting to play with my cousins (who play on ps4 and sometimes pc) while i play on xbox affect your ability to opt out?

As for your paranoia, is there any examples of opting out that doesnt work? I can disable pc cross-play in gears 4 and rocket league and ill never see the symbol for pc gamers and ive never had issues thus far.

Because I know how 'options' work. IMO I support no cross-play. Is it wrong to have a preference?
What are you complaining about here exactly? That you could be forced to play with people on other consoles and not even realise it and this is a punishment? This affects you how?

Why is my personal opinion wrong? I don't like it. Why should I be forced to if it's something I don't want to do?
"I'm. A snowflake that's afraid of playing with or against people who chosed inferior hardware to mine" master race seems like to be a new thing.
Yeah pal, you've got my number. I am a master race superior hardware snowflake with an xbone x and a PC from 2014. Give me a break. It's an opinion i'm allowed to have and you're not the lord of the internet. So either have a discussion or keep your lame jokes to yourself
Fixed that for you.

Thanks. I didn't know having opinions was exclusive to children. I guess in this topsy-turvy clown world, kids make the decision and adults do what they're told?

To all those who I have quoted,

I personally dislike cross-play. I don't have to justify my opinion to any of you. Is it a strange thing to have a stand on? Maybe. But what gives any of you the right to tell me how I should game, what I should enjoy or how I should enjoy it?

If anything, you sound like the childish fanboys for defending something that will become inevitable; seamless play across platforms. That will be the end of the console industry if that happens.

Because I know how 'options' work. IMO I support no cross-play. Is it wrong to have a preference?

Why is my personal opinion wrong? I don't like it. Why should I be forced to if it's something I don't want to do?

Yeah pal, you've got my number. I am a master race superior hardware snowflake with an xbone x and a PC from 2014. Give me a break. It's an opinion i'm allowed to have and you're not the lord of the internet. So either have a discussion or keep your lame jokes to yourself

Thanks. I didn't know having opinions was exclusive to children. I guess in this topsy-turvy clown world, kids make the decision and adults do what they're told?

I personally dislike cross-play. I don't have to justify my opinion to any of you. Is it a strange thing to have a stand on? Maybe. But what gives any of you the right to tell me how I should game, what I should enjoy or how I should enjoy it?

If anything, you sound like the childish fanboys for defending something that will become inevitable; seamless play across platforms. That will be the end of the console industry if that happens.

You're allowed to have a shitty opinion, no one said otherwise. Just don't be surprised when everyone else's opinion of your opinion is bad and we all call you out on it and make fun of it.

wvnative

Your allowed to dislike cross play all you want, but it doesn't harm anyone, and every game I've ever played with cross play lets you disable it if you so desire. How exactly will it be the end of the console industry?

Options are always good, so don't be surprised when you promote having less options, getting major backlash.

Mattyp

Gold Member

When did I once say your opinion is wrong? It’s not my opinion but I want to know how something that doesn’t affect you, affects you so much, how is crossplay for those who want to use it affecting your gaming and punishing you?

YoshiMax

Amazing how PC gamers can get along even though everyone can have different spec systems and OS.

Yet console gamers love their walled gardens.

To be fair MS have been pushing it hard and Nintendo haven't gone out of their way to block it anywhere - You really do need to replace "console" with "Sony"

Ol'Scratch

I think that Nintendo should be dragged kicking and screaming and forced to bring their internet service and features at least into the 2000s before being allowed to the party. When Nintendo can actually modernize their online service more power to them. It is painfully obvious they will not do it without some motivation.

phil_t98

#SonyToo

you are not being forced into anything , you can disable it. the option should be there for people who want it

SonyGAF. Seriously. What is wrong with you? Do you get paid by Sony to defend everything they do?

SonyGAF's daily routine.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

zenspider

This thread is the craziest thing I've seen in a while. What the fuck is happening?!?

I'm embarrassed to say something sensible: it's a shame there's no cross-play, as this game will likely not get a very large base and I was looking forward to jamming on it.

G-Bus

Banned
Good. Blocking crossplay is the only good thing sony does over its competitors.

Your entitled to your opinion and what not but I am genuinely curious why you feel this way?

In what way is crossplay at all detrimental to us as gamers?

Shiken

Nintendo is making powerful alliances with MS, Tencent, and Nvidia while Sony sits up on their high horse refusing to play nice with anyone.

I have been a Sony fan since the end of the PS1 era, but the next God of War and Horizon 2 is really all I can think of aside from keeping my trophy progression that really keeps me looking at the PS5. And since I play mainly on Switch now, trophies seem a lot less important now so it would be nothing to get a Scarlet instead for bigger console games.

I have fought this feeling for a while, but Sony has just been rubbing me the wrong way as of late.

Good. Blocking crossplay is the only good thing sony does over its competitors.

Well the games that have it allow you to turn it off soooooo...yeah...you are literally crying over nothing there.

Last edited:

Pallas

Just buy the same systems. Why should I be punished for your skin-flintery?
How exactly are you being punished? If crossplay allows friends and family to play together despite being on different consoles then that’s great. Not to mention these smaller games may live or die by it if the online community is smaller.

So, Sony does allow crossplay with PC. They only blocked it for the Switch port. Thread title is misleading.

How was the title misleading or did a mod edit it already? It clearly says no crossplay with Switch.

Quezacolt

The switch is hacked and wide open like a wh*** spreading her legs. By default no game should be cross play with a hacked system.
Soooo, there shouldn't be any cross play with playstation either, right, since the ps4 was hacked long ago, and one of the games i remember where people mentioned hackers was monster hunter world.

Dante83

Banned
This is one of those games that would benefit from cross-play as it is not a well known game. Having to play a fighting game with multiple platform owners with consoles included is intriguing, but oh well...
Hopefully next gen is competitive enough with no console being in a big lead so everyone can take more risks, try new things and be more open.

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
This is one of those games that would benefit from cross-play as it is not a well known game. Having to play a fighting game with multiple platform owners with consoles included is intriguing, but oh well...
Hopefully next gen is competitive enough with no console being in a big lead so everyone can take more risks, try new things and be more open.
If one wants an open system, it would seem to make more sense to just go ahead and buy an open system.

sevoro

To all those who are asking me how i'm being punished, read the thread from the start

Sonygaf? I'm not a fanboy. All companies do stupid shit.
How exactly are you punished? Why is playing with other consoles a punishment? You haven't explained at all. Your words were:

Because the choice to not play with other consoles is removed. I have a feature removed because other people won't buy more than one console.

It sounds harsh, it sounds petty, but it's the truth.

Why is playing solely with your console base a feature? Why is it punishing to "have" to play with other console bases? You've also admitted to your paranoia in having the option to remove cross-play.

I mean your response basically boils down to "I don't like this because reasons I haven't clearly explained"

Also you're entitled to have an opinion, doesn't mean people will accept it. Also just cause you have an opinion doesn't mean you are right.

Also in games like Fortnite you can clearly see when you're cross-playing with others, they have little PC, Switch, etc symbols. And there's also an option to opt out of cross-play, but I think you'll be to paranoid to even believe it. In response to your paranoia I have to ask? Where is your proof that cross-play opt outs don't work?

EDMIX

Nintendo is making powerful alliances with MS, Tencent, and Nvidia while Sony sits up on their high horse refusing to play nice with anyone.

I have been a Sony fan since the end of the PS1 era, but the next God of War and Horizon 2 is really all I can think of aside from keeping my trophy progression that really keeps me looking at the PS5. And since I play mainly on Switch now, trophies seem a lot less important now so it would be nothing to get a Scarlet instead for bigger console games.

I have fought this feeling for a while, but Sony has just been rubbing me the wrong way as of late.

Well the games that have it allow you to turn it off soooooo...yeah...you are literally crying over nothing there.

"Nintendo is making powerful alliances with MS, Tencent, and Nvidia while Sony sits up on their high horse refusing to play nice with anyone" Ok....they don't need to. This is still a business and Sony is moving more units then MS and Nintendo combined because of games they create, not "cross play" the allow. Sony already allows the most Cross play games out of Nintendo and MS COMBINED and has been doing it longer.

Must of us legit don't care. We just don't buy a Playstation for such a silly reason. So when I'm playing SFV on PS4, I know not of when I'm playing a PC gamer and I don't care. Cool feature....not losing sleep at night over it and isn't even bullet point on if I'd buy a PS for it or not. I don't buy game consoles based on "rubbing me" dude, I buy game systems BASED ON GAMES.

....thats it.

If the feature was soooooo good, they should be moving more units then Sony. I don't recall much if anyone really saying they are buying a PS4 because of SFV cross play or FFXIV cross play or anything silly like that. It just makes too little sense and overall a massive exaggeration that questions if folks who even cry over this stuff even REALLY game for real. I have well over 200 hours in BFV's online for PS4.... BF6 on PS5 is a day 1 for me with or without cross play as guess what? I HAVE 200 HOURS IN BFV as in I DIDN'T CARE FOR CROSS PLAY YET OWN A PS4 and PLAY GAMES ONLINE. You telling me that is hard to understand or? So I bought a PS4, bought games to play online and cross play was a non factor.

Why would it suddenly factor for PS5? Let me guess, media arguing points that they magically ignored since Sony first did it for PS2? NOW suddenly cross play must be in something or it will massively fail and all the doomz? How on earth is Nintendo going to compete with Sony, when they don't even have the damn top games coming to PS4 ,XONE and PC?

OH but Cross play I forgot, that is much more important then FFVII remake, Star Wars Fallen Order ,Cyberpunk 2077, Watchdogs 3, Control, Shenmue 3, Dying Light 2, Vampire: The Masquerade 2 etc /s

Top Bottom