• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Reportedly Eyeing Ruben Fleischer to Direct the Uncharted Movie

Uncharted-4-REview-Shot-2.jpg

After the recent departure of Travis Knight as the director of the upcoming Uncharted movie, Sony is reportedly rushing to find a new director in order to fast-track production before the next Spider-Man, according to sources cited by Deadline.

This is because the protagonist of both movies will be played by the same actor, Tom Holland. Deadline also goes on to speculate Ruben Fleischer might be in pole position to direct the Uncharted movie, which will also star Mark Wahlberg as Nathan Drake's long-time mentor and friend Victor 'Sully' Sullivan.
Fleischer already directed the two Zombieland movies and the recent Venom film for Sony. The latter in particular was a huge hit and now has a sequel inbound for an October 2020 launch window, though Venom 2 will be directed by Andy Serkis instead.

The Uncharted movie had a lengthy development phase, moving through several directors and screenwriters over the entire past decade.

Now, though, it should be set to be the first PlayStation Productions adaptation, with Asad Qizilbash and Carter Swan in the role of executive producers.

OrionNebula

Sony... let it be, please, let it be. In the end, it will be trash, everybody knows that, even you.
Yeah at this point it reeks of ‘’well we invested so much time, energy and money into this already, might as well see it through’’, which is always the very best reason to continue and release a product

Moses85

Yeah at this point it reeks of ‘’well we invested so much time, energy and money into this already, might as well see it through’’, which is always the very best reason to continue and release a product

Duke Nukem Forever Mode

Yoboman

How is Wahlberg attached to this movie as fucking old man Sully?

Directors keep walking away because they reside every Uncharted fan is going to crucify the casting

Can someone explain to me what would the difference really be between the Uncharted game versus the Uncharted movie? The entire 4 games are already each 4 feature films. I fail to see the point...

Kenpachii

Can someone explain to me what would the difference really be between the Uncharted game versus the Uncharted movie? The entire 4 games are already each 4 feature films. I fail to see the point...

Easy money, they can now put some press x messages in between the movie with pauzes and sell it as a video game also.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
It would make a great movie.

But then, we already have the Uncharted movie..or movies.
I'm just kidding

kiphalfton

Wasn't Tom Holland saying he didn't want Sony to get their hands on Spider-Man and to keep it in the MCU? Makes me think he doesn't have faith in Sony... yet is starring in this movie.

Zannegan

The worst thing about this news for me is that Andy Serkis is directing Venom 2. Not that the first one was spectacular or anything, but I had hopes for the sequel, and Serkis' direction has never been great. I like him as an actor (though he's over-exposed as Mo-cap Mcgee) but he's kind of like a lesser Zack Snyder in the director's chair.

🤦‍♂️ Casting Tom Holland is a mistake. He doesn't fit the role at all partly because he is too slight of build... He just doesn't have the necessary physicality... But perhaps more importantly he lacks the rogueish charm needed to pull off Nathan Drake. I just don't understand this decision. I like Tom as Peter Parker/Spider Man but he just isn't a good choice for Uncharted. At this point it sounds like a disaster in the making. I think they need to let this die off for a couple years n hopefully recast the role after the next Gen uncharted launches on PS5.

What is this? Some kinda promo test pilot short? Nathan Fillion is pretty much perfect. Sadly he is probably a bit too old at this point unless they want to start right out with him at near adventurer retirement age. But if they want to do a proper trilogy they'd have to pump em out pretty quick to avoid Fillion becoming borderline geriatric by the end... 🤔

mitchman

Gold Member
What is this? Some kinda promo test pilot short? Nathan Fillion is pretty much perfect. Sadly he is probably a bit too old at this point unless they want to start right out with him at near adventurer retirement age. But if they want to do a proper trilogy they'd have to pump em out pretty quick to avoid Fillion becoming borderline geriatric by the end... 🤔
It's a fan made short movie, although admittedly fairly costly one as such.

xrnzaaas

Casting Tom Holland is a mistake. He doesn't fit the role at all partly because he is too slight of build... He just doesn't have the necessary physicality... But perhaps more importantly he lacks the rogueish charm needed to pull off Nathan Drake. I just don't understand this decision. I like Tom as Peter Parker/Spider Man but he just isn't a good choice for Uncharted. At this point it sounds like a disaster in the making. I think they need to let this die off for a couple years n hopefully recast the role after the next Gen uncharted launches on PS5.
The thought process is very simple for Sony - Tom's currently a superstar so chances are non-Spidy films he'll start in will also become box office hits. Personally I have zero interest in seeing the film featuring young Drake, I already struggled to get past young Drake levels in the Uncharted games.

CAB_Life

The thought process is very simple for Sony - Tom's currently a superstar so chances are non-Spidy films he'll start in will also become box office hits. Personally I have zero interest in seeing the film featuring young Drake, I already struggled to get past young Drake levels in the Uncharted games.

You’re right, Sony is being ageist, too (inform Reeeeeeera at once). We need more diversity, more breadth of character, like Nathan in his golden years. “Uncharted and the Lost Dentures”.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Here’s an idea, delay it until you find somebody who understands nobody wants to see a younger drake, and start filming when you know for sure Bruce Campbell and Nathan Fillions diary’s are both clear.

Just a thought...

Bkdk

Just let naughty dog make their own cg movie, since that’s what they are always focusing 90% of the effort on in cutscenes and motion capture.

Ryu Kaiba

The stories are passable for games but they shouldn't embarrass Naughty Dog by making them realize their writing is C tier at best.

The Alien

Banned
Supposedly this movie is like 4 weeks away from filming.

I like Holland, but think he is miscast here
Also, Fleischer is like director #4. Never a good sign.

Thia movie gonna suck (if it actually gets made).

I really don't understand the point of Uncharted as s film and The Last of Us as a HBO thing.

These "games" are already like fucking movies. So fucking dumb dude. Go on youtube and go type in Uncharted Movie and you'll have over 4 hours of cut scenes. Fuck this desperate money grabbing shit.

I really don't understand the point of Uncharted as s film and The Last of Us as a HBO thing.

These "games" are already like fucking movies. So fucking dumb dude. Go on youtube and go type in Uncharted Movie and you'll have over 4 hours of cut scenes. Fuck this desperate money grabbing shit.

yes people that would watch uncharted the movie would totally be satisfied with watching youtube clips. Yes only people that like watching youtube clips are potential customers. What nonsense is this? I guess they should only make a bloodborne movie.

D.Final

Banned
Uncharted-4-REview-Shot-2.jpg

After the recent departure of Travis Knight as the director of the upcoming Uncharted movie, Sony is reportedly rushing to find a new director in order to fast-track production before the next Spider-Man, according to sources cited by Deadline.

This is because the protagonist of both movies will be played by the same actor, Tom Holland. Deadline also goes on to speculate Ruben Fleischer might be in pole position to direct the Uncharted movie, which will also star Mark Wahlberg as Nathan Drake's long-time mentor and friend Victor 'Sully' Sullivan.
Fleischer already directed the two Zombieland movies and the recent Venom film for Sony. The latter in particular was a huge hit and now has a sequel inbound for an October 2020 launch window, though Venom 2 will be directed by Andy Serkis instead.

The Uncharted movie had a lengthy development phase, moving through several directors and screenwriters over the entire past decade.

Now, though, it should be set to be the first PlayStation Productions adaptation, with Asad Qizilbash and Carter Swan in the role of executive producers.

I don't know how this Uncharted movie project can go.

TacosNSalsa

My goodness..that fanmade movie , a bit rough around the edges, but Nathan Fillion would've been perfect for the role . Perhaps an older Drake like in 4. And Lang wasn't bad either

Top Bottom