• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Reportedly Offering Refunds For 'Anthem' PS4 Owners No Questions Asked

nani17

are in a big trouble
It appears Sony Interactive Entertainment is offering refunds to Anthem owners, no questions asked.

Earlier today, an unhappy Anthem player took to the game's Reddit page to let off some steam about the crashing issues of BioWare's new looter-shooter. As you may know, many players across every system have been experiencing crashing when playing the game. More specifically, on PS4 and Xbox One, some portion of these same players have had issues where the game not only crashes but completely shuts down their system. And because the shut down isn't done correctly, there's a chance each time it happens of the unit being damaged.

That said, apparently, if you're on PS4, you can actually get a refund for the game. In the same Reddit post, another user pointed out that Sony is well aware of the issue, and thus is handing out refunds. Testing this person's claims, another Reddit user reached out to PlayStation Support and tried to get a refund. And apparently not only did it work but help support made no fuss at all about it.

As you may know, Sony doesn't do this often. It actually has a pretty strict digital return policy that it very rarely bends on. In fact, the last time I can think of this happening was with No Man's Sky, which players were able to return on the premise of false advertising.

Of course, Anthem isn't crashing in this fashion for everybody. Most people are having little to no problems with the game.

Anthem is available for PS4, Xbox One, and PC. For more coverage on the new online game from BioWare, click here. For what we think of the new title, check out our official review. Here's a snippet from it:

"Though at first glance BioWare's Anthem looks to be something totally different, its latest adventure does a phenomenal job at blending a new experience together while still retaining that familiar BioWare flavor when it comes to character depth and narrative design. Unfortunately, though it's enjoyable, that doesn’t mean it’s without flaw."

Source
But they won't do it for Fallout 76.

This is a lesson for all Devs that put out bad games, pay the console makers ahead of time (like Bethesda) so that they don't refund your games.

In fact in some cases (like FO76 with MS) pay the console maker to make bundles by off-setting their losses so they can give away your game for free, you can't refund "free" hahahah! We got them now.

Mercer_CAR

Banned
Maybe its time for these developers and publishers to start making games people want to play instead of following trends or making games they want their audience to play???

I hope GaaS piss off, permanently. They are money making vehicles first and foremost. The actual quality of the game is an afterthought. Just good enough to keep people playing / paying.

Last edited:

McCheese

There are instances were the game can not only make the game crash out to the OS, but also make it kernel panic which results in it powering off instantly, doing the whole 'disk drive check' the next time you reboot as it can damage your hdd.

Sony needs to accept some of the blame here for certifying the game when it was blatantly not retail ready, feels like they also put too much faith in the day one patch. Glad they are at least giving refunds to those affected.

I don't think the kernel panic issue occurs on XBOX.

There are instances were the game can not only make the game crash out to the OS, but also make it kernel panic which results in it powering off instantly, doing the whole 'disk drive check' the next time you reboot as it can damage your hdd.

Sony needs to accept some of the blame here for certifying the game when it was blatantly not retail ready, feels like they also put too much faith in the day one patch. Glad they are at least giving refunds to those affected.

I don't think the kernel panic issue occurs on XBOX.

I feel like there’s a “Sony QA people couldn’t even stand playing Anthem” joke here

Fbh

They aren't. It's more like 2 guys got lucky.
If you go and read the actual post (and its replies) on reddit there's only 2 people saying they got a refund and like 3 or 4 saying they tried asking for one but Sony refused.

Sony continues to be shit when it comes to refunds. Even more so now because a game having an issue that literally shuts off the console sounds exactly like the type of thing that shouldn't have passed certification to begin with

Is this really news? MS fully refunded me for a digital copy of Just Cause 3 a few days after launch no questions asked.

Sony has famously terrible refund policies. It's basically no refunds no matter what unless where required by law.
A game could make your Ps4 explode and burn down your house and Sony would be like "yeah...so that's really sad but we will still not give you your money back".

So if they actually were handing out tons of refunds for Anthem it would be news.
But as I said in my post, they aren't

Last edited:

YayNJ

Banned
Is this really news? MS fully refunded me for a digital copy of Just Cause 3 a few days after launch no questions asked.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Fuck gaas fuck inapp purchases, season passes, 10 different versions and fuck forced mp only games.

Vawn

Banned
Why would they do that? I sure wouldn't. It might not be a great game, but it isn't the worst thing ever made or completely unplayable. If you ignored reviews or did little research before buying the game, that's on you.

Last edited:

Ivellios

Maybe these are just isolated cases, and if people start to ask for refund in large numbers they will stop giving it.

Stuart360

I haven't crashed once in 38 hours on PC, unless the guy was talking about server dissconnects, had plenty of those.

Angry_Megalodon

Gold Member
Impossible, for I have read recently on Neogaf that Sony is anticonsumer and a peril to the free world. Were they telling lies?

Shit must be extremely serious if this is happening. On a side note, Is Mr. Ybarra still lecturing reviewers over the Anthem debacle?

Fox Mulder

Impossible, for I have read recently on Neogaf that Sony is anticonsumer and a peril to the free world. Were they telling lies?

Shit must be extremely serious if this is happening. On a side note, Is Mr. Ybarra still lecturing reviewers over the Anthem debacle?

Sony does have a shit return policy compared to MS though.

People getting refund exceptions like this wouldn't be the norm on either console though.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Sony giving easy access to Anthem refunds surely means they are getting hammered with refund requests are are giving in. It's definitely not a new corporate strategy or else gamers would be saying easy refunds have bn happening for any game lately.

Gamers better be sure Anthem is worth refunding because Sony is known to have a one-refund gimme, but do again and you're banned from future refunds.

Last edited:

demigod

Why would they do that? I sure wouldn't. It might not be a great game, but it isn't the worst thing ever made or completely unplayable. If you ignored reviews or did little research before buying the game, that's on you.

Shouldn’t require reading a review to know that the game is hardlocking, thats what QA is for.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Yeah, they didn't refund me. I spent 20 minutes waiting to talk to support. Apparently the issue has been reported, but there hasn't been an "official" statement from BioWare or EA. They just said to wait since it's now a known issue.

It was working for a while and then I kept getting a disconnect. It's taking more time to sign in than playing. It runs like crap. I don't know how else to put it.

Last edited:

ultrazilla

I'm in a virtual line with Sony tech support. I'm going to request a refund for my Legion of Dawn digital edition. Really let down with the performance and game. I'll keep everyone posted to see if they'll honor my request.

Northeastmonk Northeastmonk -If I get through to them, I'm going to say the game is hard locking my PS4(which it has) and also experiencing login problems(which I do). What reason did you give if I may ask? Sorry about you not getting a refund! :messenger_frowning_

Last edited:

Iorv3th

The game has shut down multiple PS4's in my house while playing. LIke hard shut off and when I turned them back on it had to repair the hard drives.

ultrazilla

Well the word is "out" and Sony seems to be locking down refunds. I'm currently in chat and they're saying no.
Sony must have gotten hammered with refund requests and freaked out.

No refund. This is after escalating it to a "supervisor". They say it's in their TOS no refunds. When I mentioned Sony was issuing refunds and thus their TOS doesn't apply, they tried to change the subject to EA and to contact EA.

Good luck to anyone trying to refund the game. I'm uninstalling it from my PS4 Pro. The game easily could have used another year in development.

Last edited:
I hope GaaS piss off, permanently. They are money making vehicles first and foremost. The actual quality of the game is an afterthought. Just good enough to keep people playing / paying.
Jip, GaaS also seems to mean MVP to these “AAA” publishers. Minimum Viable Product

xrnzaaas

There is absolutely no excuse if a game can cause a complete shutdown and potentially brick a console (one of the reddit users reported that). It shouldn't have passed Sony's certification process in the first place.

There is absolutely no excuse if a game can cause a complete shutdown and potentially brick a console (one of the reddit users reported that). It shouldn't have passed Sony's certification process in the first place.
It passed cert because the launch build was stable. Ever since Bioware started shitting out hotfixes to fix the games myriad problems, stability has gotten significantly worse, to the point you're seeing now.

Last edited:

Ovek

7Member7
Isn't it currently hard crashing PS4s? If I was Sony I would be issuing refunds as well.

JaffeLion

Banned
Not for me, they declined, they just said: "they know. just dont play the game anymore. and wait for the fix from EA". fuck sony

waylo

Banned
It passed cert because the launch build was stable. Ever since Bioware started shitting out hotfixes to fix the games myriad problems, stability has gotten significantly worse, to the point you're seeing now.
Even the launch build was causing this. Brad from Giant Bomb has been mentioning it shutting his PS4 down since the game came out.

zombrex

In many countries they must refund you if the game does not function in a way that is up to reasonable standards.
Crashing the console repeatably would definitely fall into that category.

Top Bottom