• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony set to buy Square Enix

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I don't believe it. This would SEVERELY sour relations with other platform holders.
Only a sour relations with Fanboys.
Would probably hear thousands "they don't make good games anymore anyway".

Tbh, as someone who doesn't enjoy anime or Japanese in general, I couldn't care less myself.

I don't even know what they made beside Final Fantasy. Or, I probably do when I hear the names, but FF is what I rally connect them with.

It would suck from many who enjoys it, cus if Microsoft bought it two platforms could play it, when Sony buys stuff they also keep it away from pc.

Or,i know beyond two souls and the detroid humans or whatever that game was called also came to pc, but weren't they just funded by sony, or did Sony own the rights?

Starhowl

It pretty much wouldn't matter to me, anyway. Right now, I'm listening to the Final Fantasy Piano Collections on Youtube. Did buy them on the Apples iTunes store. Even bought several original piano book scores partly imported directly from Japan.

But after SquareSoft joined with Enix, and then even Uematsu left the company, Final Fantasy is no more - face it, the sooner you admit it, the better.

No one would bother to print piano scores for the SquareEnix games today, since it's not that good anyway, and this fact counts for the music alone.

The sooner you let go, the better for you and the rest including SquareEnix itself, since they will realize exploiting your positive memories and tapping on the success of a creation long since in the past won't help them anymore.

How is it supposed to be a Final Fantasy when there's countless sequels, anyway? Did you ever notice, how cheap the title is to begin with?

They should've ended it when it was still good.

After they went to the stock market with their company, all that's important is that the stocks are rising, and they are. They gonna buy an empty husk, an undead entity devoid of its former glory and potential and the stock market is gonna be happy about it, since this is what counts: Not your feelings or your personal development, but the empty, soulless stock market and their products are the fundament with this as essence at the very basis; just a catalyst to shuffle money and leaving you disappointed behind while some broker celebrates with soulless clocks and file drawers in the background.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fuz

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
hqdefault.jpg

eb154f69bb464531873e8e7fd24f7a0e.gif

Perrott

Gold Member

Tbh, as someone who doesn't enjoy anime or Japanese in general, I couldn't care less myself.

I don't even know what they made beside Final Fantasy. Or, I probably do when I hear the names, but FF is what I rally connect them with.

It would suck from many who enjoys it, cus if Microsoft bought it two platforms could play it, when Sony buys stuff they also keep it away from pc.

Or,i know beyond two souls and the detroid humans or whatever that game was called also came to pc, but weren't they just funded by sony, or did Sony own the rights?
Sony owns those IPs (Heavy Rain, Beyond, Detroit), same as they own Death Stranding, Helldivers or Journey.

It all comes down to what sort of deal they had agreed on with those studios (Kojima and Arrowhead pushed for their games to be on PC for instance) or if they think that releasing X game on PC could be useful for moving hardware units in the future (Horizon: Zero Dawn).

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Back when those games came to PC and HZD (which is fully owned first party) came out on PC supposedly there was doom and gloom because all PS games we’re going to come out on PC day and date... I do not think S-E PC output would change much from what they currently do (not too much).

I would be sad if S-E stopped making those quirky titles for Switch like Octopath Traveller.

Fredrik

Tomb Raider locked on Playstation 5 would be brutal and with Sony there is no guarantee the games will even come to PC.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Tomb Raider locked on Playstation 5 would be brutal and with Sony there is no guarantee the games will even come to PC.

Oh yeah that would be pretty shitty. Personally that would hit harder for me than Bethesda. I really like the Tomb Raider games.

But I wouldn't just buy a ps5 for that.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Oh yeah that would be pretty shitty. Personally that would hit harder for me than Bethesda. I really like the Tomb Raider games.
I think they may still come to PC, but maybe not day and date and PC / Tablets wise there will ALSO be PSNow.

I am not sure why more people are not focused on the more quirky Switch bound titles that might not get made for XSX, PS5, or PC alone (think Octopath traveller). For all the other titles you might have to buy the “enemy’s console”, but you still get the game.

I am not sure anyone that cheered the idea of PlayStation gamers not getting more Bethesda games have any moral ground to say anything but positive things at the prospect of Square-Enix games becoming PS only exclusives though...

Don't believe it for a second but it would be a good fit, and not THAT much of a loss for Xbox either.

With Bethesda at Xbox and Squareenix at Sony, it would pretty much guarantee that most serious gamers would need both boxes.
Not even comparable.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Yeah, I’ll get a PS5 or PS5Pro eventually but that cut would still go deep if it skips PC. I replayed the whole trilogy recently, it’s solid and I’m very much looking forward to the next game. I’m just worried that they’ll ruin Lara somehow. Didn’t realize I might have to worry about where I can play it.

But Bethesda is Bethesda. We still don’t know if the games will be full exclusives or just timed but it’s definitely a big deal and I fully understand the negativity on that subject.

Last edited:

Astorian

SE is public, if anything is happening everyone would know, looking at how out of the blue the Bethesda acquisition was I somehow doubt some random Twitter fanboy knows of talks between Sony and SE.

Pedro Motta

Shuhei Yoshida, Hermen Hulst and many more within Sony have stated that they believe in organic growth, buying whole publishers just isn't their MO. Sony has invested a LOT in expanding their current studios so that they can work on 2 games at once. Each studio Sony buys already has a relationship and a past history with them, they know what they buy. Bluepoint, Housemarque, From Software are all valid, Square Enix is not. All these rumours are bullshit.

John Wick

Japan : FF12 pulled from Gamepass one day after it was added

Bit more pot stirring.

Personally I’m not convinced about SE and Sony. It’s not really Sony’s way to acquire a company as an outright purchase, they seem to work with studios for a while and establish a close relationship first.

But I suppose there could be a deal too good to miss or maybe it’s another Epic situation - Sony just acquire a percentage but not enough to take control.
That's dumb as they sold the SE shares they owned a few years back. SE was quite close to Sony. Sony are better off acquiring developers rather than multi publishers

turtlepowa

Banned
No, because gamepass may very well degrade good IP's. It remains to be shown by MS that they can hold up the quality. Rare comes to mind.
They are continuously working on Sea of Thieves and made it finally a great game with lots of players and Everwild looks very promising. Or have a look at Undead Labs. The State of Decay 3 trailer looks already much better than everything they did before. Since MS bought them the budget seems to be much higher. SOD 1+2 were poorly performing games with lots of bugs, i bet 3 will be much better and maybe even AAA.

Woopah

Independent developers being bought is something I'm usually fine with and it often makes sense.

I can't think of a single scenario of a first party publisher buying a third party publisher that I would consider to be a "good thing". Microsoft buying Bethesda might be at least neutral depending on how they run it.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Shuhei Yoshida, Hermen Hulst and many more within Sony have stated that they believe in organic growth, buying whole publishers just isn't their MO. Sony has invested a LOT in expanding their current studios so that they can work on 2 games at once. Each studio Sony buys already has a relationship and a past history with them, they know what they buy. Bluepoint, Housemarque, From Software are all valid, Square Enix is not. All these rumours are bullshit.
While I agree with your first point regarding Sony's focus on organic growth, Sony does have a very strong relation with SquareEnix, just like they have strong ties with Bluepoint and HouseMarque.

I also don't believe that Sony will be buying a big publisher like SE, but the lack of a long-term relationship won't be the reason if they don't buy SE.

Self

They are continuously working on Sea of Thieves and made it finally a great game with lots of players and Everwild looks very promising. Or have a look at Undead Labs. The State of Decay 3 trailer looks already much better than everything they did before. Since MS bought them the budget seems to be much higher. SOD 1+2 were poorly performing games with lots of bugs, i bet 3 will be much better and maybe even AAA.

Now compare that stuff with the cult classics Rare produced in the past and you may understand my point of view.

turtlepowa

Banned
It was a CGI trailer lol
I have eyes, i know that. But the quality of that trailer is already much higher than anything they did before and just look at their old trailers.
Now compare that stuff with the cult classics Rare produced in the past and you may understand my point of view.
You can't compare nowadays games with some old Nintendo games (and i loved Donkey Kong Country, Goldeneye and so on). Wait for Everwild before you judge them.

FStubbs

Are people forgetting Square Enix has a huge presence on Nintendo hardware? Which platform is getting Bravely Default II in a couple of weeks?

sublimit

Banned
I have eyes, i know that. But the quality of that trailer is already much higher than anything they did before and just look at their old trailers
You are taking a CGI trailer to make judgements about quality? How many games have we seen that had amazing CGI trailers but the actual game was terrible?

Last edited:

turtlepowa

Banned
You are taking a CGI trailer to make judgements about quality? How many games have we seen that had amazing CGI trailers but the actual game was terrible?
Just look at the SOD 2 trailer, there are worlds in between in terms of budget and effort. I hope and think SOD 3 will be a huge step forwardds, but of course nobody knows.

Are people forgetting Square Enix has a huge presence on Nintendo hardware? Which platform is getting Bravely Default II in a couple of weeks?

They release a couple of niche anime games. Not what i'd call a huge presence.

And even if they had a huge presense it wouldn't really have any baring on an aquistion

Last edited:

Porcile

Outside of Dragon Quest which is Horii's own thing, Square haven't made a classic or even a truly great in what feels like more than a decade at least. Someone prove me wrong. Nier Automata was a Platinum game.

turtlepowa

Banned
Probably because they didn't use CGI trailers for the last two games.

It means absolutely nothing
In 2018 they had like 55-60 employes, LinkedIn today says more than 100. I'm very confident we will see a better quality games from them and not worse like Almanac thinks. But only time will tell.

CAB_Life

They sell all their shares then come back a few years later to buy the company? Strategic planning done by imbeciles or what? This reads like one of those "E3 Leaks" fanboy checklist items. I don't care either way, but it's highly unlikely this rumor goes anywhere.

FStubbs

They release a couple of niche anime games. Not what i'd call a huge presence.

And even if they had a huge presense it wouldn't really have any baring on an aquistion
I think you're 1) severely under playing their Nintendo presence 2) clearly have no idea of what a niche anime game is if Bravely Default II looks like one to you.

Last edited:
Top Bottom