• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony should give Toro more love

Zoe

IIRC wasn't the PS1 game some pocketstation nonsense?

And I recall the PSP one being some glorified demo

It was a chat bot game. I wouldn't call it nonsense though, that's what the majority of his games are.

The PSP game was more chat bot + mini games from Mainichi Issho.

Thinking about it, I have an idea for how to give Toro a unique, fitting game.

It would be a combination of 3D Crash Bandicoot-style platformer, but the combat is handled like an SRPG. There would be no grid during battle, and the battlefields would require platforming to navigate. With limited movement on each character's turn, you'd need to be able to use the platforming skills you master while moving around the world to properly position yourself. Messing up a jump could force you to dynamically rethink your strategy, as you were unable to reach your desired tactical position. Your party would always have Toro, Kuro, and one of other animal friends, and then a fourth party member that was a guest from another PlayStation game with some unique mechanics. Actual combat would be handled something like Valkyria Chronicles, although with much expanded melee options. The story would be Toro going about his daily activities while crazy things pop up try and stop him.

Auctopus

He's getting a theme, though...

ps4-theme.jpg

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Raise your hand if you have some まいにちいっしょ (Mainichi Isshou) trophies from back in the day!

pantsmith

Toro is easily the worst character in Playstation All-Stars,
even if he is my favorite

Not even Sony likes Toro ;_;

OuterLimits

Whenever I see the word Toro, I somehow read Torgo who was a character name in the awful movie Manos: The Hands of Fate.

I do agree Toro needs more love from Sony.

This is looking super interesting - can anyone explain what exactly it was?

it was a download room game where some small minigames and events would occur when a certain game was about to release

you had your room and you could feel it up with all sorts of junk that you collected over time

Salsa

I dig toro but he's just hella japanese. It doesnt have the universal appeal a real present official mascot should have.

I'm not sure what to think of this....
This looks like a reference to that sick and disgusting fetish where women crush little kittens(and other small animals) with their high-heeled feet, that has been making its rounds on video in Japan.

Not cool if the designer was referencing that.

Zoe

I dig toro but he's just hella japanese. It doesnt have the universal appeal a real present official mascot should have.

It's all in how they choose to localize him. Just being cute is pretty universal.

I don't think it would be such a bad choice for him to retain his Japanese though.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
It really pisses me off that Sony mandated that Sega/NISA take out Toro/Kuro's apperances in Disgaea 2 Portable/3 (Portable)/4... and Phantasy Star Portable 2 in the US. :|

Also Toro and Sackboy not being in the new Hot Shots Golf is a crime.

Rurunaki

Toro will never reach that much popularity outside Japan (sadly). With Crash being an Activision IP, the closest mascot SCEA has is Daxter and SCEE being Sackboy.

I wonder if Sony will make a Toro game for the PS4. Given that everything these days is more interconnected and there's an increased willingness to localise Japanese video game oddities, I could see a chance of it making its way overseas if it gets made.

And if Sony refuse to play ball then there's always the last resort Twitter campaign.

SerTapTap

I wonder if Sony will make a Toro game for the PS4. Given that everything these days is more interconnected and there's an increased willingness to localise Japanese video game oddities, I could see a chance of it making its way overseas if it gets made.

And if Sony refuse to play ball then there's always the last resort Twitter campaign.

#PS4YesToro

CamHostage

Eh, I actually like that Toro can surprise with his appearance, so I feel like Sony may have underdone Toro worldwide but I appreciate that they didn't overdo him. Having him as an original PS mascot worldwide in the burly days of PS1 or even PS2 could have been cloying (especially when it was Mario and Sonic against whatever PS was putting out there... Crash was both adorable and obnoxious, so that was all we needed,) and nearly all of Toro's games would have struggled to find a place on store shelves outside of Japan, even at the high point of otaku-gamer culture.

Now, an app like Toro's Friend Network comes out and it's such a bright little gift that I am glad Toro's appeal wasn't burned out back in the day. I do think Toro could be in a few more things (though NO platformers or other generic games, I like that Toro has his own identity in games and that he's constantly doing things in such a Japanese way, he should always be trying to make friends or learn something new) but better underused forever than overused and abandoned.

Looks like it would make a decent Animal Crossing /collectathon type of game.

PlayStation gaming would have been a little different if Toro's game Doko Demo Issyo and the Boku no Natsuyasumi series had been worldwide hits...

SCEA occasionally makes use of Toro. He was casually chillin' in the menu of the E3 app for ps4, which put a huge grin on my face when I saw it.

Though I wish he was used more often in the past, so there'd be some nostalgia built around him, instead of him being a new thing for so many.

_Ryo_

They really should make a Toro Platformer. At the very least they should have made Toro a playable character in LittleBigPlanet3

Zoe

The final Toro merch collabs are with Freedom Wars and PoPoLoCrois: http://commu.jp.playstation.com/blog/details/20141017_psissyo.html

Surprised to see PoPoLoCrois, as that's not an SCE IP and the new game is only on 3DS.

Those aren't the final ones. OreShika will be the last along with... Doko Demo Issho? They're collaborating with themselves!

There's also a Halloween event on PSHome called "Final Halloween?" Wonder what's with the question mark.

Top Bottom