• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Talks PSP

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
http://psp.ign.com/articles/539/539105p1.html

Admitting that first party software for the PS2 launch was weak, Masatsuka reveals "That remains in the development division as an area of regret. We gain motivation with the thought that we cannot repeat that."

"Gamers will be able to actually play the PSP at the September Tokyo Game Show. This will be the first place where gamers can get their hands on the system, so rather than concentrating on how many first party titles are being developed for the system, we'd like to show what kind of software is running on the system as a whole." For this reason, Masatsuka comments, SCE may not have ten first party titles on display at the show as previously promised.

Following TGS, Japan can expect the launch of the PSP followed by Christmas and New Years pushes for the system. "We must consider carefully which games to release at which time," says Masatsuka. Expanding on the system's release schedule further, Masatsuka states "Looking at things broadly, the fifty-nine titles that were announced at the PlayStation Meeting will see gradual release until March of next year.
Discuss

ourumov

TGS ??? Well, that's encouraging :)

Anyways I think NDS is much more nearer than PSP to the promised release dates.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
We'll release it just after TGS, but with no games. One game will be released at Christmas, and another in January. Then 57 will be released on March 31st 2005.

All of Sony's movie catalog will be available on UMD at launch.

XS+

Banned
A month away from TGS and we're still in the dark about pricing, battery life and launch sorftware lineup. Sounds like Japan's gonna have a rocky PSP launch, assuming it's coming out this year as promised.

XS+ said:
A month away from TGS and we're still in the dark about pricing, battery life and launch sorftware lineup. Sounds like Japan's gonna have a rocky PSP launch, assuming it's coming out this year as promised.

The DS' launch is even closer than the PSP's and all of those complaints could be labeled onto it also. :)

I really don't think the PSP will launch this year though. They'll probably just wait till TGS to make it official.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
There are only 59 titles in development? I thought it was over 100?

How many is DS up to? 120+?

wazoo

gofreak said:
There are only 59 titles in development? I thought it was over 100?

How many is DS up to? 120+?

Those numbers are pointless. How many games are we buying a year ??

Ranger X

XS+ said:

Gameboys may win again if Sony is juggling with the ball...

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
So far they kept their word with the previously released timeline (except the simultaneous launch in all major territories).

jarrod

Banned
Well, here's the announced 62 PSP games for Japan/Korea...

PlayStation Portable
01 AI Series Mahjong (Marvelous)
02 AI Series Igo (Marvelous)
03 AI Series Shougo (Marvelous)
04 Ape Escape (SCEI)
05 Ape Escape: Monkey Games (SCEI)
06 Armored Core: Formula Front (From Software)
07 Axel Impact International (SCEI/Axis)
08 BBG (Seed9)
09 Bomberman (Hudson)
10 Bust-A-Move (Taito)
11 Cloud of Verruca (Success)
12 DarkStalkers Chronicle (Capcom)
13 Derby (SCEI)
14 Detective Shinto Shrine (WorkJam)
15 Devil May Cry (Capcom)
16 Dokodemo Issyo (SCEI)
17 DoraSlot (Dorat)
18 Dynasty Warriors (Koei/Omega Force)
19 Evil Village (Now Production)
20 Far East of Eden (Hudson/Red)
21 Gaghary (Bandai)
22 Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (SCEI/Cavia)
23 Gran Turismo 4: Mobile (SCEI/Polyphony Digital)
24 Harvest Moon (Marvelous/Marucome)
25 Heaven Key Earth Gate (SCEI)
26 Hot Shots Golf (SCEI/Clap Hanz)
27 Intelligent License (Now Production)
28 Koron (CyberFront)
29 Legend of the River King (Marvelous)
30 Mahjong Kakutou (Konami)
31 Mahjong Taikai (Koei)
32 Makkai Wars (Nippon Ichi)
33 Meikyu Tansaku Gata Monster Shooting (Konami/KCES)
34 Metal Gear Ac!d (Konami/KCEJ)
35 Mobile Suit Gundam (Bandai)
36 Need for Speed Underground (Electronic Arts)
37 Pilot Academy (Marvelous)
38 Popolocrois Story (SCEI)
39 Powerful Pro Baseball 12 (Konami/KCES)
40 Professional Wrestling (Yukes)
41 Project S (Sega)
42 Puyo Pop Fever (Sega/Sonic Team)
43 Ren-Goku: The Tower of Purgatory (Hudson)
44 Ridge Racer (Namco)
45 Romance of the Three Kingdoms (Koei)
46 RS Revolution (Spike)
47 Shingata (Sunrise)
48 Shin Mojibittan (Namco)
49 Shin Tenmakai (Idea Factory)
50 Sparrow Merit (Success)
51 Super Robot Taisen (Banpresto)
52 Tales of Eternia (Namco/Tales Studio)
53 Talkman (SCEI)
54 Technic Cute (Arika)
55 Tiger Woods PGA Tour (Electronic Arts)
56 TGM-K (Arika)
57 Tokyo Xtreme Racer (Genki)
58 Viewtiful Joe (Capcom/Clover Studio)
59 Volcanus Online (Zepetto)
60 World Soccer Winning Eleven 8 (Konami/KCET)
61 Ys: The Ark of Napishtam (Konami/KDE)
62 Zooo (Success)

...and the DS lineup for Japan only...

Nintendo DS
01 Animal Crossing (Nintendo)
02 Armored Core Series (From Software)
03 Boktai (Konami/KCEJ)
04 Bomberman DS (Hudson)
05 Bust-A-Move (Taito)
06 Caduceus Surgical Operation (Atlus)
07 Castlevania (Konami/KCET)
08 Chobi Island 3 (Rocket Company)
09 Choro Q DS (Atlus/Takara)
10 Dragon Ball Z (Banpresto)
11 Dragon Quest Monsters (Square Enix/Tose)
12 Dragon Quest Slime Morimori (Square Enix/Tose)
13 Dynasty Warriors DS (Koei/Omega Force)
14 Egg Monster Hero (Square Enix)
15 Everybody's Mah-jongg (MTO)
16 Far East of Eden (Hudson/Red)
17 Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles (Square Enix)
18 Goemon (Konami)
19 GT DS (MTO)
20 Gyakuten Saiban (Capcom)
21 Harvest Moon DS (Marvelous/Marucome)
22 Jinsei Game DS (Atlus/Takara)
23 Jissen Pachislo Hisshopou! Fist of the North Star (Sammy)
24 Kaido Racing Battle (Genki)
25 Kenshuui Tendou Dokuta (Spike)
26 Legend of the River King (Marvelous)
27 Legend of Zelda: Four Swords DS (Nintendo)
28 Living High↑Killing Low↓ (Genki)
29 Mario Kart DS (Nintendo)
30 Megaman Battle Network (Capcom)
31 Meteos (Bandai)
32 Metroid Prime: Hunters (Nintendo/NST)
33 Mikke! (Aki)
34 Mobile Suit Gundam Seed (Bandai)
35 Monster Rancher (Tecmo)
36 Mr Driller (Namco/Driller Project)
37 Mysterious Dungeon (ChunSoft)
38 Naruto (Tomy)
39 New Secret of Mana (Square Enix)
40 New Super Mario Bros (Nintendo)
41 Nintendogs (Nintendo)
42 One Piece (Bandai)
43 Pac n' Roll (Namco)
44 Pac-Pix (Namco)
45 Picto-Chat (Nintendo)
46 Powerful Pro Baseball (Konami/KCES)
47 Professional Wrestling (Yukes)
48 Project Rub (Sega)
49 Rakugaki Kingdom (Taito/Rakaguta Studio)
50 Shin Megami Tensei DS (Atlus)
51 Showboard Kids DS (Atlus/Racdym)
52 Sonic DS (Sega/Sonic Team)
53 Spectral Force (Idea Factory/Neverland)
54 Super Mario 64x4 (Nintendo)
55 Super Robot Taisen (Banpresto)
56 Survival Kids (Konami)
57 Tounou Ni Asekaku Game Series: Volume 1 Cool 104 Joker & Setline (Aruze)
58 Ubukawa Detective Case-Books (Genki)
59 Urusei Yatsura (Marvelous)
60 Yu-Gi-Oh! Nightmare Troubador (Konami/KCEJ)
61 Vandal Hearts (Konami)
62 Viewtiful Joe DS (Capcom/Clover Studio)
63 Wario Ware, Inc. DS (Nintendo)
64 World Soccer Winning Eleven (Konami/KCET)
65 ZOIDS (Tomy)

66 tba action (D3)
67 tba action (Epoch)
68 tba board game (Jams Works)
69 tba historical simulation (Koei)
70 tba mah-jongg (Koei)
71 tba project (Tecmo/Team Ninja)
72 tba RPG (GameArts)
73 tba RPG (Marvelous)
74 tba RPG (Namco)
75 tba simulation (Sunrise)

garrickk

The PSP SHOULD only get 2 hours battery life when it's released - because that's the minimum that anyone would accept and they should put the most power they can into the screen/processors/memory so the system can better sustain it's 10 year projected life.

In a year or two, when they start to add OLED displays, and the chips are produced in more and more advanced fabrication equipment, battery life will ramp up quickly. By that point, there will be a solid library of games out, the device will be cheaper, lighter, cooler (I expect the PSP to generate some heat!), and there will be accessories galore.

Should Sony just castrate the resolution (or power) of the screen and the speed of the system to offer better battery life, when 2 hours is acceptible to enough early adopters to get things rolling? Don't buy a launch model if you don't like it. In time, the system will be a dream package.

Some people consider the GBA SP the true "launch" of the system because the initial screens were very hard to see in anything less than great lighting. I couldn't stand playing my launch GBA unless I had a good light over my head. This is as inconveinent to me as having a short battery life.

But I still won't buy a launch PSP. I'll wait for more battery life, any bugs that need to be worked out (most possibly with the optical drive), and the first price drop. However, I'm glad it's launching soon and hardware speed specs are being finalized so developers can finish software and build up a AAA library of games that will be ready for me.

Deg

Banned
garrickk said:
The PSP SHOULD only get 2 hours battery life when it's released - because that's the minimum that anyone would accept and they should put the most power they can into the screen/processors/memory so the system can better sustain it's 10 year projected life.

In a year or two, when they start to add OLED displays, and the chips are produced in more and more advanced fabrication equipment, battery life will ramp up quickly. By that point, there will be a solid library of games out, the device will be cheaper, lighter, cooler (I expect the PSP to generate some heat!), and there will be accessories galore.

Should Sony just castrate the resolution (or power) of the screen and the speed of the system to offer better battery life, when 2 hours is acceptible to enough early adopters to get things rolling? Don't buy a launch model if you don't like it. In time, the system will be a dream package.

Some people consider the GBA SP the true "launch" of the system because the initial screens were very hard to see in anything less than great lighting. I couldn't stand playing my launch GBA unless I had a good light over my head. This is as inconveinent to me as having a short battery life.

But I still won't buy a launch PSP. I'll wait for more battery life, any bugs that need to be worked out (most possibly with the optical drive), and the first price drop. However, I'm glad it's launching soon and hardware speed specs are being finalized so developers can finish software and build up a AAA library of games that will be ready for me.

Worth mentioning once you blow it. Thats it. Its not like people will wait years for them to sort things out. Reality is alittle harsher than that. People will just go buy the competitors which is doing what they want.

garrickk

Deg said:
Worth mentioning once you blow it. Thats it. Its not like people will wait years for them to sort things out. Reality is alittle harsher than that. People will just go buy the competitors which is doing what they want.

True, they could blow the market with this tactic. They might sell more units in the next few years if they slashed power consumption right now. But, they might sell more units over 10 years if they release the most powerful thing they can right now.

People should be told UP FRONT how poor the battery life is and if the device runs hot, etc.

Deg

Banned
garrickk said:
People should be told UP FRONT how poor the battery life is and if the device runs hot, etc.

Well by not mentioning it hype is building up. I dont think battery life will be under 10 hours personally.

garrickk

Deg said:
Well by not mentioning it hype is building up. I dont think battery life will be under 10 hours personally.

I think just the 480x272 backlit TFT screen will drain a 3.7V, 1800mAh battery in 4-5 hours. 10 hours will be nice, but not without a large external battery.

Top Bottom