• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: There is no intention to force the digital model on anyone

iconmaster

Banned
Yeah, I don’t “own” the game on my physical disc but I still manage to get money for it somehow. It’s economical magic, I suppose. But I’ll take getting that magic resale value over the zero resale value of a digital purchase.

Think of the less affluent gamers, please.

(Btw I don’t buy used myself but I realize others are buying my games used. I contain multitudes.)

Last edited:

Kacho

Its not really a PR statement, it was a presentation to their investors... to let them know their future plans in a generalized manner.

Its actually a very simple explanation of what will be possible next gen, some people were speculating that Remote Play was going away for instance.

Either way the status quo will remain the same, even with the introduction of new streaming services. Enthusiasts already knew that.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Arrogant Sony being arrogant.

They need to be leaders and push people away from physical like Microsoft.

Sony is just desperately trying to shove bluray down everyone's throat since they get all that moolah.

Sarcasm

Nymphae

Banned
What's the difference these days with day one patches though?

The main important difference, to me, is that if I buy a physical game it can never be taken away from me or altered from the state it was sold to me in. I've had PSN games be removed from the store, and IIRC some content like the Tony Hawk games were retroactively altered to remove licensed content.

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
Either way the status quo will remain the same, even with the introduction of new streaming services. Enthusiasts already knew that.

I didn't know that, I think Remote Play and possibly physical media was a question. I see nothing wrong with it, if they went on world tour like some company I know does for that information, I would tend to agree with you more. Its useful information but not something to bank specific interviews for or anything, so I kind of agree, I guess.

JimiNutz

Banned
I prefer digital.
What would be ideal for me is if there was a way for me to sell back digital licences for games that I no longer like or play.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I prefer digital.
What would be ideal for me is if there was a way for me to sell back digital licences for games that I no longer like or play.

I think EA, Ubisoft, Take-Two, Activision, and other publishers would like to have a word with Sony and/or MS before letting THAT happen lol.

Shy Fingers

Banned
The main important difference, to me, is that if I buy a physical game it can never be taken away from me or altered from the state it was sold to me in. I've had PSN games be removed from the store, and IIRC some content like the Tony Hawk games were retroactively altered to remove licensed content.
That's just it though, your disc is not the game they wanted to ship, hence the day one downloads.

I question if they're even usable without it.

Hell, I bet their is a YouTube/Reddit person that could tell me

Nymphae

Banned
That's just it though, your disc is not the game they wanted to ship, hence the day one downloads.

Hard to say really, what kind of game breaking stuff gets shipped these days? And the fact that they're relying on the digital ecosystem to increase their dev time isn't a particularly strong argument for said ecosystem. It might be inevitable but the way it all works just makes me pine for the days when they couldn't rely on an internet connection to expand the launch window and potentially alter or outright remove content years down the road.

Shy Fingers

Banned
Hard to say really, what kind of game breaking stuff gets shipped these days? And the fact that they're relying on the digital ecosystem to increase their dev time isn't a particularly strong argument for said ecosystem. It might be inevitable but the way it all works just makes me pine for the days when they couldn't rely on an internet connection to expand the launch window and potentially alter or outright remove content years down the road.
I don't know, but I hate the trend of going gold, only to rely on a month or more of patching for the final game

Confirmation of Blu-ray in the PS5.

cjehvpkbchz21.jpg

Seems to confirm what many of us have been saying since day one. Digital and streaming will be options for people who desire them, but not the mainstream/primary mode of consumption.

This is a good thing, imo

Nymphae

Banned
I sure love the convenience of physically swapping drm diskettes inside a game console, every time i want to play a game that's fully installed on my hard drive.

Even more convenient is having the publishers decide for me that Scott Pilgram the game is not mine anymore and removing it so I can't even waste my time on it.

mckmas8808

You know what I hated more? Having something broken in a game and it "never" being fixed because there was no way to fix it due to the lack of an internet connection.

Nymphae

Banned
You know what I hated more? Having something broken in a game and it "never" being fixed because there was no way to fix it due to the lack of an internet connection.

I honestly can't remember a single time I bought a game and that felt broken or had something that I needed fixed to play it (it should be returned in that case) Not saying it doesn't happen, but I've played games for nearly 30 years and can't think of a console game I've bought that absolutely required a patch because something was outright fucked. Games used to ship complete, with some bugs. Now they ship incomplete, with bugs.

I can however think if 2 digital items I've enjoyed that have been pulled from the store and are no longer able to be downloaded or enjoyed. PT being one, and Scott Pilgram being the other. I'll take a bug or two over giving them the ability to reach into my game collection and throw shit out or change it as they see fit (removal of the music in Tony Hawk is pretty important imo, look forward to more of that with anything licensed going forward)

Last edited:

mckmas8808

I honestly can't remember a single time I bought a game and that felt broken or had something that I needed fixed to play it (it should be returned in that case) Not saying it doesn't happen, but I've played games for nearly 30 years and can't think of a console game I've bought that absolutely required a patch because something was outright fucked. Games used to ship complete, with some bugs. Now they ship incomplete, with bugs.

I can however think if 2 digital items I've enjoyed that have been pulled from the store and are no longer able to be downloaded or enjoyed. PT being one, and Scott Pilgram being the other. I'll take a bug or two over giving them the ability to reach into my game collection and throw shit out or change it as they see fit (removal of the music in Tony Hawk is pretty important imo, look forward to more of that with anything licensed going forward)

How many games today are shipped incomplete and with major bugs "where those issues AREN'T online\multiplayer related"? How many single player only games today are being shipped incomplete?

Nymphae

Banned
How many games today are shipped incomplete and with major bugs "where those issues AREN'T online\multiplayer related"? How many single player only games today are being shipped incomplete?

I'm not sure what your driving at. My point is I like to own my games and be able to play them years from now if I choose, and it's only been a few years into digital ecosystems and they've already deleted games I've paid for and drastically changed other content I was interested in, things which are not possible on physical releases I own. I prefer that to digital. Bug fixes are nice, but my experience with game breaking bugs has been minimal in all of my gaming years, I'm far more concerned about my access to content.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I hope all platforms don't quite push a discless next gen offering. I'm afraid Lockhart will be that box and while I plan on buying both systems, I'll probably be a bit cheap with the Xbox this time around. We'll see how I feel after E3. However Sony keeping the discs is nice, but what really has me intrigued is this loadtimes being a thing of the past. I mean we have SSD's now, load times are still very real. So I'm really curious as how they pulled off load times approaching Nintendo Cartridge speed.

Leonidas

Sony: There is no intention to force the digital model on anyone*

*unless your gaming platform is PC. Then you are forced into the digital only model in order to play Sony games via PSNow...

JimboJones

I mean where we expecting anything else?
It good to see it but digital is already soft forced in a lot of games now with with huge updates even if you do buy physical.

DanielsM

Banned

*unless your gaming platform is PC. Then you are forced into the digital only model in order to play Sony games via PSNow...

How would one make a non-digital streaming game? I guess they could in theory ship you a PS2 disc and you can give it a go on your PC, I don't like your chances. Also, this is more of a rental model not a purchase model. (I'm not saying you're wrong but....it lacks content i.e. their hardware )

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
*shrugs* I really don’t care, will never buy a physical disc again (except for 4K movies, and even those are only for the occasional Epic).

All digital is just too perfect for me. And with all games needing a day one patch to even work right these days, it’s a joke to think you could have a truely offline console.

But I’m glad for the people who do care about it, and have no issue with the system being $50 more expensive if need be to support those people.

DanielsM

Banned
PSNow is not just a streaming service any more (unless you're on PC where you are forced into streaming only).

Well, they could send you a disc to rent but its not going to work on your PC. They clearly mean on their own hardware platform, your post lacks context as to their talking point.

mckmas8808

I mean, what else would they say?

They could say nothing and make plans behind our backs to make a digital-only console next-gen.

I'm not sure what your driving at. My point is I like to own my games and be able to play them years from now if I choose, and it's only been a few years into digital ecosystems and they've already deleted games I've paid for and drastically changed other content I was interested in, things which are not possible on physical releases I own. I prefer that to digital. Bug fixes are nice, but my experience with game breaking bugs has been minimal in all of my gaming years, I'm far more concerned about my access to content.

Me and you are in 100% agreement. I'm 1000% against a digital-only future for all the reasons you stated.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Disappointing.

At least offer a model without the disc drive like MS have done. I haven't used my BR drive in years as I have no need for it. If people want to stay stuck in the past then let them but why should everyone else be held back?

Smasher89

Give it 3 months, companies have flip flopped around with issues like these a lot of times. I remember buying my ps3 when the same week there was not going to be a revison, and the week after one was announced. I hope thats not tge case though as ill never buy a game streaming device.

JimiNutz

Banned
I think EA, Ubisoft, Take-Two, Activision, and other publishers would like to have a word with Sony and/or MS before letting THAT happen lol.

Oh yeah I agree, it'll never happen. They have your money already and don't really gain anything by giving you the option. It would def be nice though and I think it could encourage more consumers to go all digital.

mckmas8808

Oh yeah I agree, it'll never happen. They have your money already and don't really gain anything by giving you the option. It would def be nice though and I think it could encourage more consumers to go all digital.

I think it'll have to be a company like EPIC with their EPIC Storefront that will usher this in. I think they'll try to do this first in order to compete and beat Steam in the PC space. EPIC has enough money to pay 3rd parties to do this if they want.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
I was hoping Sony would take my PS4, rip out the disc drive (but leave all the innards sloppily left inside) thrown a new piece of plastic over the disc slot and resell it to me for more than I could buy a new PS4 with a disc slot.

tr1p1ex

don't care what format except resale value makes me do physical.

And on some platforms like the Switch, physical means you can share the game with other family members. They can play it on their Switch.

sn0man

Well.... we are halfway there. The other shoe is offline / local profile creation and offline console setup. Something Xbox still hasn’t done.

Of course they will not try to force it. The last time someone tried to force something like that (MS at the beginning of the gen) failed big time.

They have other ways to make it enticing enough for gamers to suck it up (like Gamepass for example) and even say "thank you" at the end.

The behind of the gen and the recently released Xbone SAD Edition show that MS is going to continue to push it until they can get it through to mass acceptance.

But you don’t. Disc is no different than digital except you can eventually sell the disc. Also, once you install the disc it’s treated like a digital title and instead of the internet, the disc is the DRM.

There are a few differences.
1.) the disc works unless the player breaks or the disc breaks.

2) Theoretically the disc could be backed up with only the disc and a sufficient copying device.

3.) digital can be removed if the store goes down, or the title goes down

4.) digital can be altered if the store changes it mind (censorship) or is forced (removing songs with expired license)

You could rely on YouTube and or Reddit. I have a couple people I subscribe to just because they give the details of what is on the disc.

With the PS4 you can find out yourself by going offline and inserting a disc. After the install process is done you can see what is on the disc (I think with the option button)

Then you can connect to the internet and see all the patch notes the same way.

Reactions: TLZ
Can the PS4 let me play the game from the disc and not download a chunk of data so that my disc doesn't feel like a key?

Not a fan of my discs getting the patches beforehand and installing them mostly all on the System...

If they can let me play without having to install, then I would call that a gamer's choice.

Sorry if it sounds harsh, but it should just be an option like it was during the PS3 era.

There are a few differences.
1.) the disc works unless the player breaks or the disc breaks.

2) Theoretically the disc could be backed up with only the disc and a sufficient copying device.

3.) digital can be removed if the store goes down, or the title goes down

4.) digital can be altered if the store changes it mind (censorship) or is forced (removing songs with expired license)

I believe Microsoft lets you download delisted games if you've bought the game. Kind of like how Steam works. I could be wrong however.

Last edited:
Top Bottom