• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Xperia Z5, Z5 Compact & Z5 Premium (First 4k Display on Phone) Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fezan

Why just 3gb in premium phone. I know its just a dick measuring contest but I meed 4gb of Ram if I am paying premium price

Wired

My friend's Z3 cracked while in his pocket. It's a common occurrence too.

Yeah, I have a z2 and while I've not had a problem I've heard a lot of people having trouble with the glass cracking. My impression is that it seems to happen more often than what should be normal. But it's hard to say, of course people with issues are more likely to speak up than those without.

In any event I wish it was some other more sturdy material as the only benefit with glass is that it's pretty. For a while, as it attracts all the dirt and all the smudges fairly fast :p

It was what picked me over the Nexus 6 and Moto X. Busting out my phone while bathing is pretty sweet.

This makes me shiver and break out in cold sweats, I'd never dare use my phone that close to water. I've used it in light rain but that's it. I have to go lie down...

I'm interested in both the Z5 Premium and the Z5C but I'm hesitant. I got a Z3C as a gift last year and thought it was an absolutely fantastic phone. Though it held up for a bit of bumps and bruises, the water seal flaps on the ports were dreadfully bad and the inability for them hold their seal like they should ultimately lead to water damage. Thankfully, quick thinking (with some compressed air, rice and patience) saved my phone. Until I dropped it from chair height and the glass on the back of the phone cracked. Unfortunately, that damn drop put the phone out of warranty and when I sent it in for out of warranty repair, they refused to fix the phone because of the previous water damage (even though their water seal flaps fucked up). Dealing with them has been a nightmare.

I do absolutely love their phones, but that little dust up with them has been a big thorn in my side. If they've improved the flaps for the port I might consider getting a new one.

I have the ability to upgrade right now, but I've been waiting for the announcement of these just in case. I've been leaning to either the M9 or one of these. I guess I'll wait for the reviews to see if those flaps are improved.

i rock some rhino shield;s with my Z1 (front and back) so far it has proven to be effective, my phone has suffered a lot of falls and fuck ups by yours truly. both glasses are fine as new (while the screen protectors absorbed all the pain) and only the frame has some chipped parts but still fully functional and water resistant

i do however use the magnetic charger because the flaps sucks balls (just like with my Z2 Tablet).

so if you dont like bumpers like myself maybe looking into good screen protectors could be worth it and good way to avoid a lot of headaches.

Dead

well not really...yet
That Black and Gold finish is sublime

Apple keeps on being morons with their ugly ass white/gold combo

This...I actually want

Qvoth

chrome is premium only? damn you!
LLShC.gif

These are sexy as all hell. I'm extremely pleased with my Z3 and there's no reason to ditch it just yet. I'll be interested to see what the Z7 line has to offer next year though. Hopefully these become more popular in the US.

That camera looks really nice. I do not like glass backed phones though :(. Even if its in a case I want to be able to switch batteries.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
That chrome finish premium is without a doubt the best looking phone I've ever seen; possibly only after the iPhone 4/4S.

Erebus

I like Xperia phones but for some reason they tend to suck when taking photos.

Somehow my old iPhone 4s provided better results in most cases compared to a friend's Z1c, even though the camera sensor was more MPs. Hope they've improved their software since then.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I can understand the Z4 Premium going for €800, but asking €600 for the Compact is pure lunacy.

Sony, fix your shit.

CronoShot

SD 810 again?

The Xperia Z4/Z3+ had crazy overheating problems. And that's using the 'updated' 810 on a 1080p screen.

Running a 4k display in such a small body with the 810 just spells disaster.

vivftp

SD 810 again?

The Xperia Z4/Z3+ had crazy overheating problems. And that's using the 'updated' 810 on a 1080p screen.

Running a 4k display in such a small body with the 810 just spells disaster.

No one's complained about the phone getting hot at all so far. Even recording 4k video it can go over 10 minutes without overheating.

Did I miss the Z4?

It was only in Japan. It was known as the Z3+ globally

Averon

Another good looking Xperia device that I cannot get because Sony cannot get carriers to carry their phones.

Brohan

No one's complained about the phone getting hot at all so far. Even recording 4k video it can go over 10 minutes without overheating.

Actually a well reputed dutch techsite is reporting overheating problems during camera usage which resulsts in the closing of the app.
Although the firmware seems to be old (from juli) so chances are it might be fixed.

Edit: The site is called Tweakers.net.

vivftp

Actually a well reputed dutch techsite is reporting overheating problems during camera usage which resulsts in the closing of the app.
Although the firmware seems to be old (from juli) so chances are it might be fixed.

Link?

Based on the Btekt video linked earlier, the Z5 can go at least 10 minutes in 4k recording and only get pretty warm at that point.

Also, on the subject of design, GSM arenas article had this interesting tidbit:

Speaking of OmniBalance, that concept is headed for well-deserved retirement. The new design philosophy is dubbed Sense of unity, but we'd require some more convincing to call it entirely new at this point, but Sony reps assure us we're going to see the real difference in design in 2016. Power button aside, the Z5 is largely the same device as the Z3+, all the way down to the lanyard eyelet (a feature, precious to some, but bordering extinction, mind you).

So it looks like the rumours of the new design coming in 2016 were true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom