• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Xperia Z5, Z5 Compact & Z5 Premium (First 4k Display on Phone) Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Putzweg

My contract runs out in october. I have decided on the Z5 but not sure about the color yet. Loved my white Z1 but i think going with the same color again is a tad boring. Hope someone will upload a hands on comparison with the different colors. I dont remember who, but someone on youtube did just kinda video with the Z3.

I mean these PR-photos are nice but obviously dont reflect how the phones look in real life.

Xperia-Z5-colours-640x235.png

Am I reading this right? People in the US should still be able to buy the phone off the Sony website even if it's not officially released (e.g., major mobile carriers selling it)?

Am I reading this right? People in the US should still be able to buy the phone off the Sony website even if it's not officially released (e.g., major mobile carriers selling it)?

As far as I can tell, Sony closed the store on their website. I'm not entirely sure how people in the US are supposed to buy this officially, since as of right now there isn't a carrier that's going to carry it. Maybe off Amazon/Newegg?

reKon

Banned
As far as I can tell, Sony closed the store on their website. I'm not entirely sure how people in the US are supposed to buy this officially, since as of right now there isn't a carrier that's going to carry it. Maybe off Amazon/Newegg?

Import from clove or handtec from the UK

Laekon

I just wish the bezels at the top and bottom were a bit smaller, but the Zs have always looked quite good.

4K on such a small screen sounds ludicrous.
The bezel size is my main issue as well. I wish Sony had updated the design just a little. The only excuse I can see is that it helps the battery size.

Damn.

This is the phone I'm looking on buying. Why's Sony being so dodgy about releasing it in the US? Do these phones have a history of bombing in the American market or something?

Mindwipe

More likely pricing error or they forgot to update the placeholder prices before going online. The Z5 Compact cost the same as the Z3 Compact did at launch (£ 429).

Agree, old pricing was probably just a cockup. But good to see, I couldn't really justify the old price for a one year upgrade, I probably can for that.

Also, please be careful as the Z3 is nothing like the Z1 and breaks, cracks and shatters if you even look at it wrong. So if the Z5 is like the Z3... Get a case instantly and hold onto that phone as I promise a little drop and boom it's repair time.

nico1982

The colour options are lame not sure I'm switching from my Z1.
The dark gray option is gorgeous, IMHO. I'm not sold on the green one, it is too dark: maybe it is just the photo and it is actually closer to emerald. Purple option should be a mandatory option in the Z line.

Theonik

The dark gray option is gorgeous, IMHO. I'm not sold on the green one, it is too dark: maybe it is just the photo and it is actually closer to emerald. Purple option should be a mandatory option in the Z line.
Yeah, I have the purple Z1. These options are much less interesting, but I was more looking at the premium which is even worse for that. The green kind reminds me of my dad's old Citroën DS kinda appealing for that, but I dunno I'd probably skip the premium anyway due to its size. That battery though.

Putzweg

Here's another shot

sony_xperia_z5.jpg

Thx!

To be fair the "graphite black" back almost looks like plastic in that picture and it does not show the cool frosted glass effect achieved on the gold and white version. I mean the green and black almost looks like they used the plastic from the PS3 Slim. Then again, im sure this depends on the camera angle, the lightning and such. In other pics the black looks the best. The whites silverish back is definitly hot. Also the sensor button is silver which matches the whites silver bezel.

However, the black camera and sensor on the front of the white definitely is an eye sore. Same goes for light/ear speaker which contrasts to the white front. Furthermore there is something very satisfying with an all black, all matt phone in (faux-)glass/metal. However, it can also get too Thinkpad-ish looking like an all black and plastic boring utility work phone.

Tasty, but needs a USB c connector to be perfect, and ideally battery tech needs to move beyond 3400mAh (and preferably removable) if we're gonna be driving 4k displays on the regular. I gotta imagine though that 4K is the practical limit for phone display resolution. 800+ dpi is insane, unless your eyeballs are literally touching the screen there's no way any more than that is needed.

I'm currently using the Z3 compact. Love the phone.

Looking at the Z5 compact, I don't like the colour of the finger print scanner and lower position of the volume keys. It is also slightly thichker. Woudn't mind if it had a bigger battery, but it doesnt.

The glass back on the Z3 compact looked nice but it wasn't durable. However, the plasic back on this one looks a bit cheap and the edges are not too nice. Don't think I'll buying a new phone this year.

Mokubba

I'm currently using the Z3 compact. Love the phone.

Looking at the Z5 compact, I don't like the colour of the finger print scanner and lower position of the volume keys. It is also slightly thichker. Woudn't mind if it had a bigger battery, but it doesnt.

The glass back on the Z3 compact looked nice but it wasn't durable. However, the plasic back on this one looks a bit cheap and the edges are not too nice. Don't think I'll buying a new phone this year.

The back is frosted glass not plastic btw.

While they look great from the specs PoV,these phones have a pretty bad design IMO.

The design is the best things about these phones.

New002

While they look great from the specs PoV,these phones have a pretty bad design IMO.

I think a lot of phones are mediocre when it comes to their design, but these Sony phones are very elegant imo. There's certainly nothing wrong with your opinion, though I feel like you're probably in the minority.

I've been heavily considering the Moto X Pure and one of my biggest qualms about it is that it's not aesthetically pleasing, and I imagine I'm in the minority there. The color options help, but they can only do so much when the design of the phone its self is meh. That seems to go against popular opinion because I feel like every article I have read has praised the phone for its looks and called it stunning or something. Baffles me, but beauty is the eye of the beholder.

reKon

Banned
Got to play with these today. They're pretty nice. Sold on an upgrade from my Z3C.

Still the year of skip for me... Waiting until they got that perfect 4.8 inch size so that slim the phone more, have s bigger battery and the SD820 (but really, I think the upgrade to the snapdragon is going to be the only thing I get).

Kelthink

Still the year of skip for me... Waiting until they got that perfect 4.8 inch size so that slim the phone more, have s bigger battery and the SD820 (but really, I think the upgrade to the snapdragon is going to be the only thing I get).

Isn't there going to be a rumoured Premium Compact model? Although I think that's for Asian markets at the mo.

vivftp

It looks like we have confirmation on the earlier rumours about the way the 4K display works:

http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_z5_premium_4k_display_under_our_microscope-blog-13887.php

It appears the phone renders everything in 1080p except 4K content to save battery life. It also settles any doubt that it is a true 4K panel on the phone.

As for these new Z Ultra rumours, dag nabbit! I had pretty much made up my mind that I'd go with the Z5 Premium and now we have fresh Ultra rumours! I'll probably sit back and see how things develop... my Ultra is still going strong and I can easily wait several more months if need be

Oemenia

Banned
Been looking to buy a new phone for ages so could do with some advice. The S6 and iPhones are way too expensive, and the Z series seems superior as well. Is the Z4 still worth getting and the new Z5s, is there any pricing news?

Damn.

This is the phone I'm looking on buying. Why's Sony being so dodgy about releasing it in the US? Do these phones have a history of bombing in the American market or something?
they bomb in the US because they take forever to come out and aren't marketed at all. Sony's mobile demise is of their own doing. Shame.

KalBalboa

Banned
My Z3 Compact might have died over the weekend due to some water damage (looks like it wasn't as water resistant as I had hoped).

If I can buy a Z5 this week on Amazon, I'm there. Here's hoping I don't end up spending a couple hundred on a repair for the Z3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom