• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soon-to-be laid off EA Employee: Why Warhammer Failed (and why Old Republic will)

Take it as you may:

Hi everyone,

I would think myself to be part of some noble cause, like the original EA Spouse trying to save her husband from a hellish work environment at EA. That had a happy ending, however, with tons of publicity and a total change of overtime wages and salaries and how they are handled within the company. I do not expect a happy ending, so I’ll be personal and selfish, and this is just for me.

So just call me EA Louse.

I found out recently that I will be dismissed from Bioware Mythic during the next round of layoffs EA coming this November. I’m sick of seeing EA outsource their art and find every excuse to get rid of us and still not achieve anything. Mythic is dying, and its not us who killed him but we’re taking the fall.

But if you want to know what really went down with Warhammer, I’ll tell you right now.

First, the project leaders did not know what they were doing. Jeff Hickman was the saddest excuse for a producer I’ve seen. All he did was drink the Koolaid and suck up to the right people. He was the perfect yes-man, and this reached down to almost all managers.

My boss who will not be named, again and again would tell us that Rob Denton, one of the original owners, said we should “do this” and “do that” and we would say “omg it makes NO sense, please explain A, B, and C to him. “And then he’d come back and tell us, after we thought he had gone to talk with him,” No, Rob wants in this way. Jeff agrees, this is what we’re going to do. Understood? ” They never actually talked back to Rob. We didn’t talk back to them.

Rob said jump, our leaders said, “How high?! And on who?”

So we shut up and did what we were told, by people too afraid to tackle real problems. It is a culture of fear, especially since Mark Jacobs was fired.

Oh, he left voluntarily you say? No, he was fired, and everything placed on his shoulders by those closest to him so they could divide his salary and annual bonus. I bet Rob is enjoying that sweet new Maserati he bought after leaving the knife in his partner of 15 years.

Want to know more? Keep reading. I can keep ranting.

Rob was never there during the development of Warhammer. We always joked about when his next weekly holiday was coming. (Answer? Next week!) Mark was not available, was way too head down trying to design his own contributions or whatever. Rob always handled things. We were told NOT to speak with Mark in person, never, or else we would be explaining to Rob.

The coup began long before Warhammer, and Jacobs did not even realize it.

And yet, this is common gossip in the company, and nobody in this industry seems to get it. So get it! Rob was responsible for the entire project, then blamed Mark when things went wrong.

Ah, but could not do it alone. No, he needed Jeff Hickman, promoted from customer service to produce the Warhammer project. Wait, let me let you have that sink in. The man running customer service, on the theory that the management of a large team of CSRs qualified him to run a game development project, was put in charge of a $50 million project with no previous experience.

And he needed Eugene Evans, the man who brought you the almost non-existent marketing campaign behind Warhammer. We could not even believe how bad they fucked up the marketing campaign. There was almost none. We slaved for years, and this is how we were rewarded for it by Eugene and the people of EA? Being told that Warhammer was not “worth” a lot of money spent on it? LOL. Now he’s in charge of Bioware Mythic.

Oh yeah, and he needed Paul Barnett. You know him as the crazy British dude that appears in random videos at EA to promote his latest bullshittery. We know him as the crazy British dude who we have no idea of how he still has a job. This man was supposed to be the savior of Warhammer’s vision and design. Now all he can do is promote his strange ideas about his little secret project web Ultima game that’s been almost universally criticized by all of us and focus groups. What’s that? You didn”t know Paul loves one of those old Ultima games sooooo much he’s making a literal copy of it for Facebook? Well, the cats outta the bag. Too bad it sucks ass.

So what do they all have in common? All of them failed, badly, in Warhammer, and each of them is in a position of authority in the new company, while the rest of us are facing pink slips. How do they sleep at night? They spin aruond, blame everything on Mark, divide his old salary between them, and never speak about it again. Oh, and they fuck us little guys as well.

Almost makes me congratulate them for having the balls, but after watching them work, it’s obvious they don’t have any. They’re cowards running scared trying to hide under the wing of Bioware, now that Rob has become a general manager of EA.

And Bioware? Don’t make me laugh. They’ve spent more money making the Old Republic than James Cameron spent on Avatar. Shit you not. More than $ 300 million! Can you believe that?

And you know what they’re most proud of? This is the kicker. They are most proud of the sound. No seriously. Something like a 20Gig installation, and most of it is voiceover work. That’s the best they have. The rest of the game is a joke. EA knows it and so does George Lucas,they’re panicking , and so most of Mythic has already been cannibalized to work in Austin on it because they can’t keep pushing back launch.

Old Republic will be one of the greatest failures in the history of MMOs from EA. Probably at the level of the Sims Online. We all know it too ……

Anyway, back to Warhammer. We shouldn’t have released when we did, everyone knows it. The game wasn’t done, but EA gave us a deadline and threatened the leaders of Mythic with pink slips. We slipped so many times, it had to go out.

We sold more than a million boxes, and only had 300k subs a month later. Going down every since. It’s “stable” now, but guess what? Even Dark Age and Ultima have more subs than we have. How great is that? Games almost a decade make more money than our biggest project.

So there it is. Rewarding the incompetent. Firing the competent.

I say it anonymously so I can keep my next few paychecks coming.

So I’m a louse. A big fat EA louse.

Want some more questions answered? Ask away.

More Q&A on the comment section.
I'll just copy his posts on the comment section before it's taken down as it always does:

Question: Curious as to why there seem to be so much distance put between Warhammer and DAoC? As a long time player of DAoC, I found Warhammer was modelled after another game. Certain aspects of Warhammer seemed to honestly be a less polished version of DAoC, almost as if the current developers had never experienced DAoC and what made RvR such a success for Mythic. Was there a decision to not model their new game after DAoC and more curiously, why? Reason I am asking is during beta, mythic had asked people not to post about DAoC comparison and if they did, they would find their beta forum account closed.

ealouse says:
Panic set in, and it suddenly had to be WOW 2.0

Almost none of us actually played Warhammer while we worked on it, it was so hard to get into, let alone Dark Age. DAoC was like UO to Mythic. They gave them tiny tiny teams, stole the “best” people and left people they didn’t care about behind. Everyone else was on WAR.

Actually UO got better treatment than DAoC I think.

I don’t really know how all the “Anti-DAoC” politics worked, I admit. I don’t think it was malicious as much as stupidity. People looked to managers for answers they didn’t have, but they had to say something! And that became law.

Question: Tell us more … how was the Art Direction?

ealouse says:
Oh. My. Gawd.

I’m not going to rag on my old boss, but let’s just say that Mythic screwed the pooch on this one. Wait, why dance around it?

OK. So some devs tried to blame Games Workshop for all their “restrictions” but that was just bs. Utter bs. Paul Barnett wanted this game to be DARK. The management demanded dark, chaotic settings and ugly ass character models.

Paul, fist in palm, told us how “WAR will never have dancing! There is no dancing, these people are in a WAR!” So brilliant. BRILLIANT. Copy WOW and abandon everything that made DAoC great, but leave out dancing the one place where artists really get to express ourselves.

FU Paul and your arrbitrary stupidity.

So many other bad examples. Irony? When we did the international releases we were told we needed to make the models prettier because they were too ugly. Gee. Ya think?

What I’m saying is that it wasn’t the art management, but the “direction” was fucked from day one.
Question: Can you elaborate on what happened with Sanya to get her to leave so suddenly? Also, any further information on DAOC?

ealouse says:
Wow, Sanya. That was a long time ago.

Yeah, that was actually not Rob Denton. That was her having a fierce, loud fight with Mark Jacobs about forum postings. Sanya had a very hard line stance on developers posting on the boards.

They shouldn’t. That’s community’s job. <- Is what I'm sure she would say.

But Mark Jacobs, who loved posting, especially about things he couldn't guarantee and made our lives hell because he would essentially promise them, did not like having to play by her rules. She totally called him out on it in an embarrasing way and too many people at the company knew about it, so she was out the door.

They replaced her with a really nice guy but he was a puppet who couldn't make Mark abide by the rules. Arguably though, he did a great job, but Eugene wanted community to be under marketings control, so when the big anti-Mark coup occurred they also fired all the community representatives left, and put one of the marketing lackeys in charge of all three Mythic products.

Lets see. Other crazy things… Mark wanted to do what Blizzard announced with Real ID like, years ago, and Sanya fought him on it. Mark also hates when devs post with fake names, and forced everyone who posted on boards to use real names (which created drama and stalking opportunities, which discouraged devs from posting).

So, all in all, Sanya stood up to him in a public space, and the next thing we knew there was a "mutual parting of ways." Also, her husband worked with us too, veteran, and he left later.

Concept17

Warhammer had some serious potential too. Really loved the character designs, and the focus on PvP was great. Rest of the game just simply wasn't finished. Probably the most promising MMO to come out when it did, but simply wasn't baked long enough.

Dresden

Not too surprised to hear that about Old Republic. The game looks pretty ugly, and that's with the "gotta optimize for shit machines" idea in mind.

But it'll have voice acting!

PBY

Banned
maybe im just out of the loop/don't know what the deal is with budgets for games like this but WOW @ 300 mil

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
And Bioware? Don’t make me laugh. They’ve spent more money making the Old Republic than James Cameron spent on Avatar. Shit you not. More than $ 300 million! Can you believe that?
What? No way.

Dante

Didn't they say those CGI movies for the Old Republic where like 50 mil between the two of em?

I think Blur charges a ridiculous amount for that stuff.

itxaka

Defeatist
300$ million? I don't believe that, sound like too much money even for an MMO no?

Why is with all this devs lately blaming the higher ups for the fuck ups? Is really the gaming industry so fucked up that the higher ups guys are the ones driving all the projects? Sounds awful :(

Mooreberg

Nothing would really surprise me in terms of TOR's budget since EA is viewing it as a revenue stream for years to come. Lets face it, they didn't spend $800 million to get Mass Effect and some jerky open world games. This would be the mother of all bombs if it doesn't pan out though.

gibration

They’ve spent more money making the Old Republic than James Cameron spent on Avatar. Shit you not. More than $ 300 million! Can you believe that?
Holy fuck! They better pray this doesn't bomb.

CrazedProfessional said:
What's the voice acting roster on this game? 300 million is huge and I'm guessing most of it is to pay for actors.
Well, he does say 20gig of audio installation... :/
Oh and if the $50 million on CGI figure mentioned by dante is true then 300 mill sounds very plausible.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Whoah, great read.

I still have high hopes for TOR though, I think it's going to be pretty massive going forward.
I think it'll be the #2 Western MMO within a year.

Caj814

$300 million and they're most proud about the VOICE WORK?! They should be proud of all aspects and if that's the only thing it has going for it in the long run. . . .:lol

Wallach

Caj814 said:
$300 million and they're most proud about the VOICE WORK?! They should be proud of all aspects and if that's the only thing it has going for it in the long run. . . .:lol

Well, I think they're proud of the voice work in the sense that 100% of the dialogue in the game has voice acting. There is no character text that is not voiced.

CiSTM

Banned
shagg_187 said:
I really hope he meant to say $30 million and not $300 million cause that's A LOT!

MMOs are big business right now. APB got $100 million dollars from MS and another $100 from various investors. Staff costs alone were around $40 million dollars. Then again APB was in production around fiver years but still $300 million budget doesn't even surprise me anymore.

iammeiam

itxaka said:
Why is with all this devs lately blaming the higher ups for the fuck ups? Is really the gaming industry so fucked up that the higher ups guys are the ones driving all the projects? Sounds awful :(

It actually matches pretty well with some of my experiences in non-gaming software companies being bought out, so I'd buy it.

CiSTM said:
MMOs are big business right now. APB got $100 million dollars from MS and another $100 from various investors. Staff costs alone were around $40 million dollars. Then again APB was in production around fiver years but still $300 million budget doesn't even surprise me anymore.
Ahh of course! Carry on then. $300 mill sounds plausible especially with a massive franchise like Star Wars.

Ceebs

If that 300 million number is true what kind of playerbase will they need to make that even close to being profitable? If they are expecting Star Wars to garner them WoW like numbers someone at EA needs a solid smack to the face and a kick to the curb.

Ferrio

Banned
quinntendopower said:
it's no surprise that game is going to be shit. but at least we have a nice inside truth to it. :D

Agreed. I don't see why all these companies think they're going to catch lightning in a bottle like blizzard did. To invest so much on such a risky genre is madness.

Caj814

itxaka said:

Unfortunately the more money that's invested into a project increases the chances of higher ups getting involved, which could eventually cause major fuck ups to occur. Especially if they are on a power trip (they sign the pay checks) with nothing but illogical decisions.

The APB read, a couple weeks before it's official demise mentioned similar situations with how the hire ups refused to make the changes needed to make the game successful.

itxaka

Defeatist
iammeiam said:
It actually matches pretty well with some of my experiences in non-gaming software companies being bought out, so I'd buy it.

Yeah but I always thougth that game programmers, or at least peaople from the groundforce were then raised as producers for the game, thus having a direct link not only with the fellow artists but with the game industry from another point of view.

All this late articles seem to claim that stupid cunts that know shit were put on the lead of the "next AAA game" with no actual knowledge or interest on the industry.

That sucks balls ugh. Seems like the gaming industry has just stepped up to other industries where the higher ups know shit and the blame is put on the workforce instead.

Yeah but 300$ million? BTW APB was only 100$ million IIRC, not 200$ million.

Somebody smarter than me do the math on how much does KOTOR has to sell to get even plz :)

Grayman

peterb0y said:
maybe im just out of the loop/don't know what the deal is with budgets for games like this but WOW @ 300 mil
MMOs have always cost crazy money. "Second gen" ones were rumored to be in tens of millions. I think turbine needed 50 million in venture capital for DDO. That was pre "HD gen" costs.

Mairu

A BIG BUDGET IN AN MMO! Must be terrible!

And you know what they’re most proud of? This is the kicker. They are most proud of the sound. No seriously. Something like a 20Gig installation, and most of it is voiceover work. That’s the best they have. The rest of the game is a joke. EA knows it and so does George Lucas,they’re panicking , and so most of Mythic has already been cannibalized to work in Austin on it because they can’t keep pushing back launch.
So the game has good sound design and they're adding people from Mythic to work on the game? I don't see the joke. What else is Mythic going to do? Put more money into daoc or warhammer?

Old Republic will be one of the greatest failures in the history of MMOs from EA.
I'm not totally convinced of this or the alternative as Star Wars isn't exactly a recipe for success for online games (See SWG!) but if the game does have a lot of money and development going into it, I'm hesitant to believe the entire game is awful except for the sound design. Bioware doesn't have an online game yet but I'm hoping they've learned more from previous MMOs than Square-Enix did from FFXI.

Sounds like a lot of rants about individual personnel. I was expecting more similar to those posts that came out about APB after that basically got shut down.

Combine

Banned
Ferrio said:
Agreed. I don't see why all these companies think they're going to catch lightning in a bottle like blizzard did. To invest so much on such a risky genre is madness.
That's what has annoyed me so much about the gaming industry, especially in regards to the development of MMO's. They look at Blizzard and WoW as if their success is something that can be duplicated. Not realizing that, as you so pointed out, it was actually lightning striking in the right place at the right time, and of course, lightning never strikes the same place twice.

Yet, these producers just look at it and think they can have a piece of the action.

Grayman

Ceebs said:
If that 300 million number is true what kind of playerbase will they need to make that even close to being profitable? If they are expecting Star Wars to garner them WoW like numbers someone at EA needs a solid smack to the face and a kick to the curb.
they needed to be smacked and kicked to the curb when they thought warhammer would do a million or whatever they expected.

Salacious Crumb

One of the best rants I've read in a good long while. If what this guy says is true it sounds like EA, or more specifically Bioware are in deep shit.

Mairu said:
A BIG BUDGET IN AN MMO! Must be terrible!

So the game has good sound design and they're adding people from Mythic to work on the game? I don't see the joke. What else is Mythic going to do? Put more money into daoc or warhammer?

I'm not totally convinced of this or the alternative as Star Wars isn't exactly a recipe for success for online games (See SWG!) but if the game does have a lot of money and development going into it, I'm hesitant to believe the entire game is awful except for the sound design. Bioware doesn't have an online game yet but I'm hoping they've learned more from previous MMOs than Square-Enix did from FFXI.

Sounds like a lot of rants about individual personnel. I was expecting more similar to those posts that came out about APB after that basically got shut down.
My thoughts exactly.

Also, I am not that surprised by $300 million, it is one of EA's most loved devs working on a franchise that practically everyone has heard of, in a genre of game were you can potentially makes bucket loads of cash.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Caj814 said:

The voice acting is probably where the biggest chunk went but the game is pretty massive. I've been following its development for a while and I've been consistently impressed and never once let down. (Even when "4FU" (four force users, which meant half the initial classes used the force, and this caused a minor outcry) and the on-rails space travel were announced.)

Audio-wise, with the music and voice acting, it's just in another realm compared to most videogames. Visual-wise, it can go toe-to-toe with any of the MMOs out there. The style is very distinctive and sometimes I have trouble telling if something is an in-game shot or concept art; it's like a weird mix of realism and cel shading, and I love it. The animations are also getting better all the time and look very believable right now.

The content offered at launch is also, again, sizable. At least 16 planets will be available on day one. There's going to be PvP, space travel, player housing, some sort of auction/market, and all the other bells and whistles standard on MMOs these days.

Additionally, each of the eight classes has their own multiple branching storyline (and I assume that's where the other major chunk of change was diverted to.) It uses the same branching system with the decision dial as Mass Effect, and many of the decisions are major ones that will effect your storyline in the future. BioWare has said each class is a KoTOR unto itself, and I wouldn't doubt that.

The best part about this huge budget and long (some would say delayed) development time, though? I'm thinking it will be hugely polished and actually ready for launch, in staunch defiance of various other MMOs that have launched this past year. And this is all the base game, it's a complete package, which makes me doubly excited for future expansions.

Not really trying to sway opinions here. I just think TOR will be huge and don't want people laughing off that $300 mil number.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Ceebs said:
They've already spent all the money.

It can only get less bad for them once launch happens.

Ceebs

Cataferal said:
If true, it easily ranks as the most expensive videogame ever made, let along the most explosive bomb.
I would bet significantly more has been spent on WoW overall at this point, but it has a playerbase in place to justify whatever they are spending on the expansions and patches.

TheOddOne

CiSTM said:
Wow, is this true? Goddamn :/

GhaleonQ

Salacious Crumb said:
One of the best rants I've read in a good long while.

Yep. I'd rather just avoid reading about such an ugly situation without in-depth reporting on the facts, but that was as cogent a tear as you could want from a formerly overworked developer. Oof.

Ferrio

Banned
Andrex said:
The voice acting is probably where the biggest chunk went but the game is pretty massive. I've been following its development for a while and I've been consistently impressed and never once let down. (Even when "4FU" (four force users, which meant half the initial classes used the force, and this caused a minor outcry) and the on-rails space travel were announced.)

Audio-wise, with the music and voice acting, it's just in another realm compared to most videogames. Visual-wise, it can go toe-to-toe with any of the MMOs out there. The style is very distinctive and sometimes I have trouble telling if something is an in-game shot or concept art; it's like a weird mix of realism and cel shading, and I love it. The animations are also getting better all the time and look very believable right now.

The content offered at launch is also, again, sizable. At least 16 planets will be available on day one. There's going to be PvP, space travel, player housing, some sort of auction/market, and all the other bells and whistles standard on MMOs these days.

Additionally, each of the eight classes has their own multiple branching storyline (and I assume that's where the other major chunk of change was diverted to.) It uses the same branching system with the decision dial as Mass Effect, and many of the decisions are major ones that will effect your storyline in the future. BioWare has said each class is a KoTOR unto itself, and I wouldn't doubt that.

The best part about this huge budget and long (some would say delayed) development time, though? I'm thinking it will be hugely polished and actually ready for launch, in staunch defiance of various other MMOs that have launched this past year. And this is all the base game, it's a complete package, which makes me doubly excited for future expansions.

Not really trying to sway opinions here. I just think TOR will be huge and don't want people laughing off that $300 mil number.

Here's the thing, the game could be legitimately good. Hell it could be balls the the walls awesome, but that doesn't mean it'll get the player base needed to recoop it's loss. People are so trenched in as WoW as the defacto MMO it's going to be hard to get a sizable amount of them to move.

It's basically just another social network now, like facebook. And like facebook there's tons of alternatives that have better features.... but not the people so they never become popular.

I'll just copy his posts on the comment section before it's taken down as it always does :/

Question: Tell us more … how was the Art Direction?

ealouse says:
Oh. My. Gawd.

I’m not going to rag on my old boss, but let’s just say that Mythic screwed the pooch on this one. Wait, why dance around it?

OK. So some devs tried to blame Games Workshop for all their “restrictions” but that was just bs. Utter bs. Paul Barnett wanted this game to be DARK. The management demanded dark, chaotic settings and ugly ass character models.

Paul, fist in palm, told us how “WAR will never have dancing! There is no dancing, these people are in a WAR!” So brilliant. BRILLIANT. Copy WOW and abandon everything that made DAoC great, but leave out dancing the one place where artists really get to express ourselves.

FU Paul and your arrbitrary stupidity.

So many other bad examples. Irony? When we did the international releases we were told we needed to make the models prettier because they were too ugly. Gee. Ya think?

What I’m saying is that it wasn’t the art management, but the “direction” was fucked from day one.
Question: Can you elaborate on what happened with Sanya to get her to leave so suddenly? Also, any further information on DAOC?

ealouse says:
Wow, Sanya. That was a long time ago.

Yeah, that was actually not Rob Denton. That was her having a fierce, loud fight with Mark Jacobs about forum postings. Sanya had a very hard line stance on developers posting on the boards.

They shouldn’t. That’s community’s job. <- Is what I'm sure she would say.

But Mark Jacobs, who loved posting, especially about things he couldn't guarantee and made our lives hell because he would essentially promise them, did not like having to play by her rules. She totally called him out on it in an embarrasing way and too many people at the company knew about it, so she was out the door.

They replaced her with a really nice guy but he was a puppet who couldn't make Mark abide by the rules. Arguably though, he did a great job, but Eugene wanted community to be under marketings control, so when the big anti-Mark coup occurred they also fired all the community representatives left, and put one of the marketing lackeys in charge of all three Mythic products.

Lets see. Other crazy things… Mark wanted to do what Blizzard announced with Real ID like, years ago, and Sanya fought him on it. Mark also hates when devs post with fake names, and forced everyone who posted on boards to use real names (which created drama and stalking opportunities, which discouraged devs from posting).

So, all in all, Sanya stood up to him in a public space, and the next thing we knew there was a "mutual parting of ways." Also, her husband worked with us too, veteran, and he left later.

Mirimar

Great rant and he's replying to comments on the blog as well. Those are also great reads and give very interesting insight to the whole ordeal.

Wallach

Ferrio said:
Here's the thing, the game could be legitimately good. Hell it could be balls the the walls awesome, but that doesn't mean it'll get the player base needed to recoop it's loss. People are so trenched in as WoW as the defacto MMO it's going to be hard to get a sizable amount of them to move.

This is true. One thing though is that they aren't entirely trying to take from WoW's player base. It's not like the entire MMO market consists of all of WoW's subscribers. They're definitely looking to get folks that may not otherwise play an MMO to try it because of the Star Wars license, much like Turbine did with LotRO.

Rflagg

Dante said:
Didn't they say those CGI movies for the Old Republic where like 50 mil between the two of em?

I think Blur charges a ridiculous amount for that stuff.
I don't doubt you. I will say those trailers were bad ass, but nowhere near the kind of bad ass one should get for 50 mil.

I remember reading a couple a months ago someone connected to the game said they had to have 1 million subs to break even, no idea what kind of time frame they were talking about, and if memory serves me they didn't really go farther into it. The article was on massively a couple months ago I will see if I can dig it up tomorrow after school if anyone is interested.

Disappointing if even half of this EA Louse stuff is true.

itxaka

Defeatist
Wallach said:
This is true. One thing though is that they aren't entirely trying to take from WoW's player base. It's not like the entire MMO market consists of all of WoW's subscribers. They're definitely looking to get folks that may not otherwise play an MMO to try it because of the Star Wars license, much like Turbine did with LotRO.

Yep. 2 of my friends are jumping it for sure. They have never played an MMO but they love star wars and bioware (thanks to the old kotor). One of them is waiting to get a new pc the week before the game releases to be able to play it properly :lol

Top Bottom