• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Calibur Legends (Wii) Famitsu scan

People actually think that looks bad? I'm a graphic whore but even I will admit those screens look good for a Wii game. There is a lot of hate in this thread imo.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
If they use the Urban Reign combat engine this will be awesome, if they don't well it will probably suck.

This is supposed to take place in between Soul Blade and Soul Calibur, right?

Hm... no Cassandra, then...

Also, they spelled Siegfried's surname differently than usual.

USD

AniHawk said:
Fighting games have never translated into action or adventure well.

Death By Degrees (Tekken), Mortal Kombat: Shoalin Monks, Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub-Zero, & Mortal Kombat Special Forces, Virtua Fighter Quest. Now this piece of shit. The only reason it's getting attention is because it's a formerly big name franchise on the Wii (same deal with RE:UC).
But then there's Ninja Gaiden. It's not directly based on DOA, but it relies a lot of the same conventions and is powered by what is essentially a fighter's engine. Not to say this game will be even be good, but it can be done right.

Ramenman

This is a "almost" static game right?

Well, it's an adventure game isn't it ? It's not a static as SSBM.

Anyway the most important is it's early.

.dmc said:
GAF group-think in action? First post dictates the tone of the next ten hundreds ?

Fixed.

Edit : Wait, what am I doing here ? I don't even care about SC...

*bails out*

I honestly don't see this game amounting to more than a stinking pile of excrement...

Obviously the actual SC team is busy working on SCIV - token Wii support crapfest am total?

USD said:
But then there's Ninja Gaiden. It's not directly based on DOA, but it relies a lot of the same conventions and is powered by what is essentially a fighter's engine. Not to say this game will be even be good, but it can be done right.
Death By Degrees Team != Team Ninja

.dmc

Banned
turkification said:
Is it me or does SC2 looks better then this?

There is a screenshot of SC2 at the bottom of the scan. No it doesn't.
I replayed it recently, it doesn't hold up that well.

USD

Segata Sanshiro said:
Death By Degrees Team != Team Ninja
I know that. I knew this would be B team stuff the second it was announced. I was just saying it could be done.

If they manage to make a good game, I'll get it, but my bets are that it won't be that special.

People who thinks the screens look bad, the game is set between Edge and Calibur, they have to make the game look bad to fit in with the series ;)

in any case, SC3 was a gorgeous game, if this game can be up to that level then i got nothing to complain about.

legend166

Drek said:
Shaolin Monks was fun man. Don't be hatin'.

This looks very bland, but hopefully it means they keep the action/adventure mini-games separated from the main SC games from now on. It could be good though, who knows.

Mini-games?

DMC, Ninja Gaiden am mini-games confirmed.

Endgegner

Pureauthor said:
This is supposed to take place in between Soul Blade and Soul Calibur, right?

Hm... no Cassandra, then...

Also, they spelled Siegfried's surname differently than usual.

How does Namco write it usually? I think they are going for a german Name there (Siegfried is a german name and it's the name goes back to the warrior of german/nordic legend). I'd assume they surname would normally be written Staufen or Stauffen, Schtauffen sounds like somebody with a dialect would pronounce it.

Regarding the game, I think they graphics are good for a wii game if there are more open spaces, if not their goes another subpar effort by a third party developer for wii.

Mashing

C'mon, it looks nearly identical to Ninja Gaiden at this point, and since that game still looks great I don't see what the problem is.

ThirdEye said:
This spinoff should be a downloadable content on PSN.

True. And nothing else. Instead to lose time on stupid spinoff, Namco should trying to make a new IP for the Wii. Like Capcom's Zack and Wiki or EA's Boogie.

And please, PLEASE, stop make games that bases their strentgh of graphical's capabilities, because simply the Wii isn't suited for.
Why aren't they trying to make something great artistically like Okami ? I'm sure the Wii would support the lack of power a lot better !

kizmah

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Mario Galaxy has 10x better textures then this game and it is NOT a static game. How do you explain this ?

Probably by; Galaxy has been in development for god knows how long and it's made by Nintendo.

NeonZ

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Why aren't they trying to make something great artistically like Okami ? I'm sure the Wii would support the lack of power a lot better !

Just because the Wii isn't the PS3 it doesn't mean every game has to look the same. Soul Calibur doesn't have a completely realistic style either.

Alx

Mashing said:
C'mon, it looks nearly identical to Ninja Gaiden at this point, and since that game still looks great I don't see what the problem is.

That is what I thought too, of course it's not easy to tell from scans but it looks clean and colourful, just like NG. I guess the graphics will enter the category "good enough", it will probably not compete with big next gen productions, but as long as it is pleasant to the eye... the wii owners are not looking for eye candy anyway.

ram

Siegfried SCHTAUFFEN? typo or stupid japanese stuff? :lol

game looks like the spiritual successor for DBD - meh...

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
So is it really made by the Death by Degrees team? Was it officially stated anywhere?

AniHawk said:
Fighting games have never translated into action or adventure well.

Death By Degrees (Tekken), Mortal Kombat: Shoalin Monks, Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub-Zero, & Mortal Kombat Special Forces, Virtua Fighter Quest. Now this piece of shit. The only reason it's getting attention is because it's a formerly big name franchise on the Wii (same deal with RE:UC).
Shaolin Monks was actually good, the only good MK game of that generation. Special Forces was awfull though gawd what a sucky game.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The game looks nice. I've always wanted to see something a bit different done with the SC license.

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
This is a "almost" static game right? So you can invest a lot of memory in textures and characters, because you have not to move a lot. Like Smash Bros. Brawl.
Mario Galaxy has 10x better textures then this game and it is NOT a static game. How do you explain this ?
10x better textures? Where are you getting THAT idea?

915692_20060914_screen001.jpg

Mario Galaxy looks nice, but it really isn't in some league of its own.

Saoh

looks OK to me. we should wait for footage...

oh, but what do I know?, GAF already played and finished this game and gave it a 6.5

AntMurda

The really awesome parts of Mario Galaxy are some of the planets. One planet in particular had reflections, transparency, with some solid effects all going nuts on the screen. That is what really catches your eye in Mario Galaxy, not the standard Mario running on lawn shots.

KevMurda

This game is still early and doesn't look that bad.

HATE. HATE. HATE.

I demand Ninja Gaiden graphics!! Grab your pitchforks.

radiuhm

Not too impressive right now.Nightmare looks lame when he's without his full armor and mask. Think there's a multiplayer game mode in it where you can 1v1? Kinda looks like it at the bottom right corner of the page.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Yeah, Death By Degrees wasn't that great. But Urban Reign was pretty good.

dark10x said:
The game looks nice. I've always wanted to see something a bit different done with the SC license.

915692_20060914_screen001.jpg

Mario Galaxy has "soul" and doesn't look flat.

Threi

notag
Are people here sour graping or something? I mean it doesn't look amazing or anything but it certainly doesn't look like shit...

dark10x said:
actually for now it kind of is...i advise you to stop looking at screenshots and watch the videos.

dark10x said:

I say 10x only to say that it looks way better. (i.e. it can be 3.8947594x) Don't weigh my words like that.

I like how Famitsu included a screenshot from SC2 on Dreamcast that looks better than this Wii game. That top illustration of Siegfried is some of the worst character art I've seen for a game.

Top Bottom